Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Indeed. I think the only way it makes sense is if the other team can take the full 50% cap hit. And it's unlikely that Edmonton would manage to do that.

And even at that, the Habs are retaining over $20M in combined cap hit.  Unless they're getting a massive return, they're not going to do that when they have to spend the other $5.25M on a replacement goalie as Commandant mentioned.  If they get a couple of first-round picks and a top prospect to do that, sure, the cash outlay for that makes sense but what team is paying that price for Price?

I don't think the magic number for retention for a viable trade is 50% for Montreal.  I think it's closer to 10-20%, 25% tops with a desire to take on contracts and have no retention being the preferred method.  After that, the sheer economic element of retained money makes a trade so much harder.  And that's why Edmonton doesn't really work - they're a great fit from a hockey perspective but they don't have the ability to fit Price in with their long-term salary structure.  They need a veteran with a year or two left that they can offset with Kassian/Koskinen/maybe Foegele.

I think Allen is the goalie who gets traded to be honest. 

I'd look at a deal centred around Allen and Chiarot going to Edmonton (possibly some money retained on Chiarot to even out the deal).... Koskinen and Kyle Turris as salary dumps back to Montreal (both UFA this summer).... and then I'd want a top prospect and a 1st rounder, given that Allen and Chiarot are going the other way. 

29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'd look at a deal centred around Allen and Chiarot going to Edmonton (possibly some money retained on Chiarot to even out the deal).... Koskinen and Kyle Turris as salary dumps back to Montreal (both UFA this summer).... and then I'd want a top prospect and a 1st rounder, given that Allen and Chiarot are going the other way. 

Or Allen and Petry? Chiarot would be easy to move at deadline anyway?

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Certainly Allen is much easier to trade. I think the Oilers are looking for a true #1 goalie and I don't think Allen has proven he can carry a team although he is an excellent #2 on any team. 

Trading Price is very complicated which is why I think it is unlikely to happen but I don't think there is a team more desperate and more in need of goaltending help than the Oilers.  Having McDavid and Draisaitl and not making it past the 1st round of the playoffs is embarrassing.  If Price goes anywhere (doubtful), the most logical place is Edmonton but making the money work is the hard part obviously. 

8 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Sounds like the asking price for Jacob Chychrun is similar to what Vegas paid for Eichel.  At the price point, maybe he would be worth kicking tires on for Anderson, Romanov and Carolina’s 1st?

We can't trade Carolina's 1st.  

Barring an epic collapse from Carolina and an epic run from Montreal, the pick will be going to the Coyotes. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Barring an epic collapse from Carolina and an epic run from Montreal, the pick will be going to the Coyotes. 

Yeah, I forgot our pick was lottery protected.  

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

And we are certainly not trading our own first unless we get a great deal.  Anderson, Romanov and our own 1st would be a massive overpay for Chychrun. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Our 2nd pick would likely be only a few spots behind Carolina's 1st.

Sounds like the asking price for Jacob Chychrun is similar to what Vegas paid for Eichel.  At the price point, maybe he would be worth kicking tires on for Anderson, the rights to Harris and our 1s next year 

fixed that for you. 

49 minutes ago, PMAC said:

Sounds like the asking price for Jacob Chychrun is similar to what Vegas paid for Eichel.  At the price point, maybe he would be worth kicking tires on for Anderson, the rights to Harris and our 1s next year 

fixed that for you. 

No, the original was closer to being accurate.  Harris doesn't have that type of trade value that Peyton Krebs did in the Eichel trade, not even close.

1 hour ago, PMAC said:

fixed that for you. 

If we're going through a full rebuild we don't need him.  His contract ends in 4 years which means right after the rebuild his probably would leave. 

Our goal should be finish within a top 5 1-5  pick for the next 5 years. Stock pile top end prospects build up or farm system and NHL team with top level prospects. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

5 years?  No thanks

I agree. I would be surprised -and disappointed- if Gorton goes that far down the scorched earth path. I know that this is not a popular opinion but I do not believe that this team is as far away from being a contender as some people think. 

47 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

It's been 10 years of this so what's 5 more 😹

In the last 11 years, there have been three trips to the final four of the NHL, and one trip to the cup final. 

So no, it hasn't been 10 years of this. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

In the last 11 years, there have been three trips to the final four of the NHL, and one trip to the cup final. 

Last 2 years shouldn't count we were given a playoff spot. Other wise it would of been 2 more years with a top 10 pick. 

4 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Last 2 years shouldn't count we were given a playoff spot. Other wise it would of been 2 more years with a top 10 pick. 

Last year needs to count for something as they beat Vegas (tied for most points in the league) and Toronto who was only 5 points behind them. 

It shouldn't take 5 years. The next 2 years are critical for drafting and making the right trades. If they get that right then in 3 years we could be looking at a pretty exciting young team. 

2020, sure, but I wasn't counting that year as we only made it one round.

2021, We werent given a playoff spot. 

We qualified after the 56 game season, and no I don't buy the argument that the Canadian division was weaker than the three divisions that had Buffalo, Detroit, LA, San Jose, Phoenix, New Jersey, Philadelphia, with bad seasons. 

20 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Last 2 years shouldn't count we were given a playoff spot. 

If they bowed out of playoffs quickly, like 100% of the talking heads predicted, i might agree, but they didnt. A certain team just to west of Montreal would love to have even won ONE playoff series win in recent memory.:hockey:

14 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Last year needs to count for something as they beat Vegas (tied for most points in the league) and Toronto who was only 5 points behind them. 

It shouldn't take 5 years. The next 2 years are critical for drafting and making the right trades. If they get that right then in 3 years we could be looking at a pretty exciting young team. 

Last year look at our point total and then the point total of the American teams that would of been in our conference if it was the same. We would of never made the playoffs. We made the playoffs because it was an all Canadian division.  Am I glad we made it to the finals yes, but if under the regular divisions it's another year missing the playoffs. 

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

When GMs talk about a five year plan... its not five years of tanking and accumulating picks, its to be a cup contender in year 5. 

Thank you. I swear, some fans seem to think the entire *point* of GMing is to ice the worst team possible for an indefinite period of time so that the team can have picks. It’s analogous to how some fans seem to think the point of GMing is not to win but rather to manage the cap. There’s a tendency to confuse means and ends.

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

2020, sure, but I wasn't counting that year as we only made it one round.

2021, We werent given a playoff spot. 

We qualified after the 56 game season, and no I don't buy the argument that the Canadian division was weaker than the three divisions that had Buffalo, Detroit, LA, San Jose, Phoenix, New Jersey, Philadelphia, with bad seasons. 

Thank you.

I weary of fans trying to say that last year somehow “didn’t count.” We made the playoffs fair and square under the rules as written and went to the Finals after beating two teams widely regarded as elite contenders. Anything else is just hypothetical bullsh*t.

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

What it has been is about 25 years of the Habs not being considered among the league’s elite franchises. For most of those years we have been either terrible or mediocre. Thus, the 2010 run was kind of a “miracle run” no one saw coming from a bubble team. The 2014-15 teams *were* legitimate contenders, quickly dissolved due to injury and aging out of key pieces. Then 2021 team was a “built for the playoffs” model that was the final hurrah of an aging core. Two years of a team built the right way, bookended by a miracle run and by a one-shot deal. Definitely not terrible overall, but well short of the objective of building a genuine contender that can compete over a number of seasons.

2 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Am I glad we made it to the finals yes, but if under the regular divisions it's another year missing the playoffs. 

We will never know what would have happened if last year was a regular year. If it was a regular year the Habs would have played 82 games not 56 and maybe would have gone on a run late in the year to make the playoffs. Who knows. No point in trying to guess what would have happened. What did happen was they beat a lot of good teams to get to the final.