Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

47 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

But they do make the call on the 1st rounders (...)

Yes, I agree that the GM will make the final call on those.

However, the question was about Markov and Ribeiro being drafted (in very late rounds!) during Houle's tenure. I can't remember who was in charge of scouting back then, but full credit to whoever it was.

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I would have to say that a 5 year rebuild is a completely ridiculous idea.

You are correct that retooling hasnt worked, but there is a reason for that.  i.e. during that time when the Habs had a draft pick in the Top 5, they were fairly weak draft years.  Best example is Chucky's draft year.  kk's draft year wasn't as bad, but he likely would have been drafted outside of the top 10 picks. 

There is a big difference in talent in this years draft and next.  

I agree with @The Chicoutimi Cucumber that a team cant count only on Top 5 picks, but a team must pick somebody of substance with those picks.  ex:  the Oilers - they've botched numerous drafts.  I'd even add the Blues to that list too, although they did eventually win the Cup they took way too long to do so from all the picks that they had.  The Sabres have basically been doing the same lately too. 

Retooling typically doesn't include drafting.  The whole point of a retool is trades and free agency to fill the gaps in the team and adjust the lineup.  When retooling, drafting can play a part, but it's not what a retool is about.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess with Hughes comments around Petry and all the seeming interest in him

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-jeff-petry-on-the-market-but-montreal-canadiens-not-selling-at-a-discount-1.1753652

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/ice-breakers-canadiens-jeff-petry-drawing-interest-as-trade-deadline-approaches/

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2022/01/latest-on-ben-chiarot-jeff-petry.html

Heard Dallas might be interested, is he a fit there, they are duking it out with Flames for 2nd wildcard spot at moment.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Heard Dallas might be interested, is he a fit there, they are duking it out with Flames for 2nd wildcard spot at moment.

He's a fit if (more likely when) Klingberg is moved but the money doesn't work for Dallas.  I wouldn't be shocked if they wanted Montreal to take the final year and a bit of Khudobin's contract for salary cap purposes.  I think Nashville is the best fit in terms of need and cap space (Philippe Myers has had a terrible year and is the type of young-ish defender that would make sense for the Habs to target) but Dallas definitely makes sense as well.

33 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He's a fit if (more likely when) Klingberg is moved but the money doesn't work for Dallas.  I wouldn't be shocked if they wanted Montreal to take the final year and a bit of Khudobin's contract for salary cap purposes.  I think Nashville is the best fit in terms of need and cap space (Philippe Myers has had a terrible year and is the type of young-ish defender that would make sense for the Habs to target) but Dallas definitely makes sense as well.

Well, having another goalie would not be such a bad thing ... 😂😂😂

I don't know how serious this could be, seeing as I read it on Puckers.com.  Apparently Hughes had a conversation with the Rangers for Lafrenière. In return the Rangers would get Chiarot and Lehkonen. Is it just me or has Lafrenière's stock dropped alot?  I don't see how the Rangers could go for that!?!?!

1 hour ago, Habsfan said:

I don't know how serious this could be, seeing as I read it on Puckers.com.  Apparently Hughes had a conversation with the Rangers for Lafrenière. In return the Rangers would get Chiarot and Lehkonen. Is it just me or has Lafrenière's stock dropped alot?  I don't see how the Rangers could go for that!?!?!

There is no way the Rangers would make a se like that. It would be highway robbery. A third liner and middle pairing dman??? That would be Sam Pollack level highway robbery. 

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There is no way the Rangers would make a se like that. It would be highway robbery. A third liner and middle pairing dman??? That would be Sam Pollack level highway robbery. 

I don't see it happening either but maybe Kent Hughes is the 2nd coming of Sammy! That's a trade that would certainly endear him with the French media.  But you never know, the Habs throw in something else.  The Rangers are close and Chiarot and Lehkonen would help. Fun to talk about.

1 hour ago, Habsfan said:

Yeah, there's no way that's remotely credible.

2 hours ago, Habsfan said:

I read that rumor on EK. Which means it isn't happening.  Usually if it's on EK it never going to happen. Only difference on EK it just didn't say which players Montreal was going to trade for Lafreniere, just that it was big enough to make them listen and think about it. 

3 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Maybe if we add our 1st round pick this year. 😁

No bloody way I’d do that.

I could see the rangers sniffing around to inquire about Caufield and Harris, along with Chiarot, Lekhonan. But that would be a gross overpay. 

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

No bloody way I’d do that.

I could see the rangers sniffing around to inquire about Caufield and Harris, along with Chiarot, Lekhonan. But that would be a gross overpay. 

Me neither but Im sure thats what the rags would ask for.

Well - if Hughes has inquired about Lafreniere, I like that. It shows he’s thinking big. But do I believe the particulars of that rumour? Nah.

That Lehkonen is being invoked, even falsely, in an invented proposal of that scale *could* perhaps be another indicator that his value is higher than I would have previously suspected. 

(And just to carry the thought further, this might be an illustration of a phenomenon I’ve long suspected, i.e., a player’s stock and rep around the league is heavily informed by what he does in the playoffs. A run to the Finals becomes a showcase for guys like Lehkonen and raises their value. For all that teams have armies of advanced stats guys, etc., I still have a feeling quite a few decisions get made by GMs watching guys in the playoffs and going, “geez, I really like that kid”).

Well, a cheap responsible hard working checker, who can skate and great on the PK on expiring contract. Again, all GMs need a couple of these (just ask the Leafs if a Danault/Lehkonen would of helped them win A series last year).