Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He's probably #3 right now. 

Logan Cooley is probably #2. 

Thanks, when I see him play I think of a young Ryan Getzlaff (left handed version), not burning speed but  good enough to get there and strong on his skates. However he can dominate in many other areas.  Not a pro scout but I will predict he overtakes Cooley for #2, just see a higher ceiling for this guy, not sure Cooley will ever dominate. 

The money part is the big one.  They have $175,000 in cap space with LTIR.  Even if the Habs retain 50% on Chiarot and St. Louis sends a d-man down, it still doesn't work.  I would hope Montreal doesn't want to take Scandella's contract back (and if they did, I'd want another pretty high draft pick in return).  Chiarot's a great fit on paper for them - he fits their style perfectly.  But the only way I can see the money working is they get out of LTIR, bank a bit of room, and wait until the absolute last minute to do it or find a third team to eat another 25%. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The money part is the big one.  They have $175,000 in cap space with LTIR.  Even if the Habs retain 50% on Chiarot and St. Louis sends a d-man down, it still doesn't work.  I would hope Montreal doesn't want to take Scandella's contract back (and if they did, I'd want another pretty high draft pick in return).  Chiarot's a great fit on paper for them - he fits their style perfectly.  But the only way I can see the money working is they get out of LTIR, bank a bit of room, and wait until the absolute last minute to do it or find a third team to eat another 25%. 

Perhaps the Blues could throw in Jordan Kyrou or Robert Thomas to make the cap space work??  (Yes I am kidding)

The Habs are auction off their black practice sweaters. Very non-traditional, but very cool. I'd love to wear one for my pickup games but $600+ is a bit much for that usage.

Anyway, they included Price, Edmundson, Weber, even McNiven. But no Allen sweater. Is that just an oops, or is he on his way somewhere else?

https://bidandraise.com/encans/chandailsnoirs

14 hours ago, tomh009 said:

... But no Allen sweater. Is that just an oops, or is he on his way somewhere else?

https://bidandraise.com/encans/chandailsnoirs

I admit I missed it too when I just skimmed through.

image.png

Just read that Montreal inquired about Ilya Samsonov from Washington.  

Does this mean they are leaning towards Price not coming back, either by trade or LTIR?

I think Samsonov is too good of a goalie to be a backup replacing a possible Allen move.

44 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Does this mean they are leaning towards Price not coming back, either by trade or LTIR?

I think Samsonov is too good of a goalie to be a backup replacing a possible Allen move.

Maybe caps interested in Price. 

56 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

That was my thought, you don't get Samsonov if you are keeping Price but you can't believe everything you read either. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Maybe caps interested in Price. 

No.  No one is interested in Price right now, especially not a team that's perpetually against the cap like the Capitals are. 

It's Montreal that reportedly inquired about Samsonov, not Washington inquiring about Price and Montreal following up with a request about Samsonov.  When Washington wants to make a playoff run, trading for a goalie that doesn't seem likely to play this season isn't exactly a sound strategy, especially when it's someone they'd have to blow their roster up to be able to afford in the first place. 

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

No.  No one is interested in Price right now, especially not a team that's perpetually against the cap like the Capitals are. 

It's Montreal that reportedly inquired about Samsonov, not Washington inquiring about Price and Montreal following up with a request about Samsonov.  When Washington wants to make a playoff run, trading for a goalie that doesn't seem likely to play this season isn't exactly a sound strategy, especially when it's someone they'd have to blow their roster up to be able to afford in the first place. 

Didn't mean they we going to try a get him at the deadline. If price gets traded it would be in the summer or see how he plays at camp. But it doesn't stop team's from calling a laying the groundwork down. 

13 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Didn't mean they we going to try a get him at the deadline. If price gets traded it would be in the summer or see how he plays at camp. But it doesn't stop team's from calling a laying the groundwork down. 

But Washington's salary cap structure means they could never be a trade option for Price.  They're already going to be really tight to the cap next year and simply can't afford a pricey goalie.  $3 million for a starter may be more they can afford let alone what Price's contract is, even if Montreal was to retain 50% (which they won't).

This Samsonov thing I think stems from two elements - the Habs are doing some due diligence in case Price's knee doesn't get any better and they're seeing if they can jump in on the Fleury talks.  Washington is looking into acquiring Fleury, a move for a rental player that would require double retention to pull off on the cap this year and needs a third team.  Washington probably can't afford both Samsonov and Vanecek long-term (another reason why Price is an absolute no-go for them) so some are wondering if Samsonov will be moved as part of that trade as part of the salary offset.  Would Chicago want him?  If not, perhaps there's a window for Montreal to jump in.  But he makes no sense for the Habs unless they find out Price isn't coming back. 

I should note that based on what's out there, Montreal's interest in Samsonov is tire-kicking at most.

8 hours ago, DON said:

From 32 Thoights

5. I can see Philadelphia in on Jeff Petry. It makes a lot of sense for them.

It seems like Philly wants to retool again which means a Petry deal with them would likely be a player-player type of swap, not a Petry for futures one.  Worth noting, they only have two defencemen signed beyond this season so if it was a player coming back, it'd probably be a forward.

54 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It seems like Philly wants to retool again which means a Petry deal with them would likely be a player-player type of swap, not a Petry for futures one.  Worth noting, they only have two defencemen signed beyond this season so if it was a player coming back, it'd probably be a forward.

I don't know how well a player for player swap will work unless they are offering someone young.  I still think our focus isn't going to be on next year, but long-term.

Add in the fact that the right side of the defence has to be a primary concern after losing Weber in the summer and Petry in this trade, I'm not sure they are a good fit. 

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't know how well a player for player swap will work unless they are offering someone young.  I still think our focus isn't going to be on next year, but long-term.

Add in the fact that the right side of the defence has to be a primary concern after losing Weber in the summer and Petry in this trade, I'm not sure they are a good fit.

Agreed - he fits for Philly, but I'm not sure Philly fits for the Habs on the trade front.  Atkinson and Konecny are the similar-priced contracts and nether of them are all that appealing (although Konecny is young enough to be part of that future core).

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Agreed - he fits for Philly, but I'm not sure Philly fits for the Habs on the trade front.  Atkinson and Konecny are the similar-priced contracts and nether of them are all that appealing (although Konecny is young enough to be part of that future core).

Konecny and a 1st would work for me if they throw in Morin to be a 7D/AHL-callup he has disappointed and seems to be a bust but I would not mind having him in Laval insulating/protecting some of the Habs prospects or being a callup for some games against bigger teams

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Konecny and a 1st would work for me if they throw in Morin to be a 7D/AHL-callup he has disappointed and seems to be a bust but I would not mind having him in Laval insulating/protecting some of the Habs prospects or being a callup for some games against bigger teams

I don't want to add more contracts to the mix, especially if one of those contracts is just a guy who is going to be in Laval and not a serious contributor to the NHL team.   With 48 and Harris coming, it is too tight. 

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't want to add more contracts to the mix, especially if one of those contracts is just a guy who is going to be in Laval and not a serious contributor to the NHL team.   With 48 and Harris coming, it is too tight. 

You could gift them somebody from Laval, though, to keep the contracts in balance.

Would the Flyers trade Konecny?

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

There is the oft (less than reliable) rumours of the Habs signing Letang this summer ... almost the same age (Letang tuns 35 in April versus next December) ... KL has been slightly more productive in recent years ... I am open to him replacing a traded Petry (in any trade, not just to Philly) ... but it depends entirely on the contract, especially as any deal he signs this summer will be a 35+ contract.

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

There is the oft (less than reliable) rumours of the Habs signing Letang this summer ... almost the same age (Letang tuns 35 in April versus next December) ... KL has been slightly more productive in recent years ... I am open to him replacing a traded Petry (in any trade, not just to Philly) ... but it depends entirely on the contract, especially as any deal he signs this summer will be a 35+ contract.

Just no to signing any more old men.

15 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Just no to signing any more old men.

Long-term, I agree. 

On a short term deal at the right money, I'm fine with signing vets.  But the term has to be for 1 year... 2 years absolute max on these guys. 

I don't mind Corey Perry type deals (and even a more expensive version but the same length with others). 

If they want multi year deals, I'm fine with letting them walk.