Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That assumes that they don't trade away more players, such as Hoffman, Gallagher, Petry, Savard or Allen. How much space they have for next season really depends on how many of the high-paid players are traded for futures. We'll get some idea at the traded deadline and more so in the summer.

How much space they have also depends on Price/Weber and their situation.  The Habs could have a lot of space or very little. As you said, we will know more at the trade deadline and in the summer.  

Using CapFriendly's armchair GM app, I started with the current roster, with the signed contracts for next year. I signed Pitlick at $1.75M and Lehkonen at $3.3M (just making up rough numbers here) for forwards, and on D (where we only have Petry, Savard and Edmundson signed for next year) I added Romanov at $2M and Clague, Niku and Schueneman at around the $1M mark. That's a 22-man roster that's just barely over the cap (Price is on the roster, Weber is on LTIR).

If they move some combination of one of Hoffman and Gallagher on F (and backfill with someone like Ylonen) that's $3.5M of cap space.

On D, moving Petry (and backfilling) would free up $5M, moving Savard would free up $2.5M. And moving Allen (and playing Montembeault) would free $1.5M+.

All of the above players are old enough to be past their prime and/or looking for big contracts by the time the rebuilt Habs team gets to its window. So, I expect all of those are possible trades, just depends on whether HuGo finds another team that wants to do a deal. And, yes, some younger players might also get traded (Anderson, Armia, Drouin, Lehkonen etc).

And if Price is not able to play and goes on LTIR, that's another $10.5M (less, say, $1-2M for a 1B/2-level goalie for next year).

• Like 1

Re: Petry to Philly speculation, this is a report from someone in Philly and this person did break Briere's promotion with the Flyers a few weekends ago so I'm not dismissing it outright as nonsense.

He reports that the template of the deal that has been discussed is van Riemsdyk and something (pick/prospect) for Petry with up to $1M in retention.  (JVR has one year left at $7M while Petry's signed for three so the key for the Habs would be future cap space in the form of clearing most of the final two years of Petry's deal.)  However, Philadelphia is one of the teams on Petry's no-trade list.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/02/one-fine-day-thoughts-after-flyers-2-capitals-1.html

An additional tidbit from that link:

This discussion remains fluid because there’s a lot of moving parts to it. Namely, the Flyers want Montreal to retain a little bit of Petry’s salary. Maybe as much as $1 million, for the Flyers to take on those extra two seasons. In return, Montreal would want a prospect or a draft pick compensation for eating that money.

So, in this scenario, the Habs wouldn't really get anything for Petry, just freedom from the last two years of his cap hit. And maybe get a pick/prospect for retaining salary (but not actually for Petry).

It doesn't seem like a stellar deal for the Habs, but maybe my expectations of Petry's value have been unrealistic.

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

So, in this scenario, the Habs wouldn't really get anything for Petry, just freedom from the last two years of his cap hit. And maybe get a pick/prospect for retaining salary (but not actually for Petry).

It doesn't seem like a stellar deal for the Habs, but maybe my expectations of Petry's value have been unrealistic.

interesting points:

makes me believe this is not a good deal.

philly is obv trying to “buy low” on Petry given his down year, but his recent play suggests that he really hasn’t fallen off of a cliff and is more likely to return to quality player status over the remainder of his contract.  So, given the Habs have zero concern about cap max next year, perhaps it is wiser to keep him until summer or next deadline when he has likely rebuilt trade value (any of last three years he’d be in high demand and fetch a great return if he’d been made availability).   There is no rush to move him internally as well, given he is not holding back any/many promising RHD prospects by continuing to play top 4, he could even prove to be good insulation for a prospect that comes back in a trade this year or over summer.

Retaining money and taking back a bad contract (even expiring) does not seem worth it given there is no rush to unload him, probably only see his value boost over rest of season and make it far more appealing to deal him in summer as has been expected.

On a Philly deal now, he’d be jumping to another tire fire team, that is on his no trade lost so I really hope nothing comes of this.
Keep letting him rebuild value this season, showcase him on PP and deal him this summer

45 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Re: Petry to Philly speculation, this is a report from someone in Philly and this person did break Briere's promotion with the Flyers a few weekends ago so I'm not dismissing it outright as nonsense.

He reports that the template of the deal that has been discussed is van Riemsdyk and something (pick/prospect) for Petry with up to $1M in retention.  (JVR has one year left at $7M while Petry's signed for three so the key for the Habs would be future cap space in the form of clearing most of the final two years of Petry's deal.)  However, Philadelphia is one of the teams on Petry's no-trade list.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/02/one-fine-day-thoughts-after-flyers-2-capitals-1.html

Curious that Philly is on the no-trade list. That’s not an organization that I generally expect to see players avoiding…although come to think of it, they’ve been a bubble team for quite a few years now, and when was the last big splash they made in terms of trades or player signings? They seem to be a franchise in a state of drift.

47 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

If it's a good prospect, then it's a decent return considering that you can flip JVR's expiring deal at the next deadline.

Petry has a 15-team no-trade list... I wouldn't be surprised if most of those teams are in high pressure markets like Philly or Canadian cities. Such a backwards system in the NHL where almost half the teams are in warm, low tax low pressure markets and it's incentivized for players to go where people don't care about hockey. 

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Thats not what i read.... 

I read its Van Riemsdyk PLUS Something for Petry..

Plus another asset for retention. 

3 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

So, given the Habs have zero concern about cap max next year, perhaps it is wiser to keep him until summer or next deadline when he has likely rebuilt trade value (any of last three years he’d be in high demand and fetch a great return if he’d been made availability).  

This isn't true, especially if Price comes back for next season.  The Upper Limit of next year's cap is actually a big concern for 2022-23 (Suzuki's new deal kicks in plus a small raise for Evans) and they will actually need to clear out some money in order to re-sign the restricted free agents that they have, especially if Lehkonen was to stick around.  Chances are that yes, they'll free up some wiggle room in the next few weeks but the cap right now for next year is a pretty big factor that needs to be considered.

Sounds like a guy who doesn't want to be traded now that the change has been made. 

Personally, I'd still look to trade him for the reasons we traded Toffoli, accelerate the rebuild by getting pieces for him and by the time we are ready to compete he will be 2-3 years older. 

But, seems like he is more a off-season trade if anything.

I would be fine with Petry-Edmundson-Romanov- some NEW young RH next season. Still kinda bugs me he sucked "on-purpose" and issue(s) was more about selfish stuff, than the team.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

... Sounds like a guy who doesn't want to be traded now that the change has been made ...

All well and good until something else goes wrong and he is unhappy again.

... Personally, I'd still look to trade him for the reasons we traded Toffoli, accelerate the rebuild by getting pieces for him and by the time we are ready to compete he will be 2-3 years older. 

100% agree

I just don't get Philly's interest in Petry. When I look at Philly's roster I just don't see a contender for a couple years at least and so why would you take a run at Petry who likely only has 2-3 years left?  Perhaps Philly's management sees it differently. 

I definitely see why Dallas might be interested especially if they are going to let Klingberg walk but Philly??

• Like 1

Chuck Fletcher in Philly is a lot like Bergevin was over his last couple of seasons - convinced the core was good enough to contend and just needed a fresh new part or two to unlock its potential. 

25 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Chuck Fletcher in Philly is a lot like Bergevin was over his last couple of seasons - convinced the core was good enough to contend and just needed a fresh new part or two to unlock its potential. 

Well, if Philly thinks they just need a quick "re-set" instead of a rebuild and they think Petry can be a key piece then great. Maybe the Habs get an offer they can't turn down but I won't hold my breathe. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Looking at the Flyers, I think their gap is even bigger and a successful reset is just a pipe dream. But if they'll make a deal for Petry I'm not going to object!

They have a half decent prospect group.  There are 4 or 5 a prospects and 7 or 8 b prospects where i'd be happy with  van riemsdyk plus 1st plus A-level prospect for Petry and then a B-prospect (for retaining).

They have a half decent prospect group.  There are 4 or 5 a prospects and 7 or 8 b prospects where i'd be happy with  van riemsdyk plus 1st plus A-level prospect for Petry and then a B-prospect (for retaining).

If we could get a 1st, an A level prospect, van riemsdyk and a B level prospect for Petry then Hu-gort would be foolish not to take it. The only question: Is Chuck Fletcher that desperate??

For me there is no hurry at all to trade Petry.  The deal has to be right (picks/prospects). There is no need to just dump the contract. If he is happy and continues to play like he has under Martin St Louis then he is worth every penny of his contract. He is still one of the smoothest skating defenders around.  

Petry is streaky player and lets just hope he just had a extended (38 game) slump this time and he keeps playing better, although i think he might of wrongly chased man behind the net, to leave a guy open for the 1 goal against last game.

From Frank Seravalli on the Chiarot situation:

Scoop: The feel is the Canadiens are like a duck on a pond with Chiarot, calm up up top but paddling furiously underwater to try and get a deal done. GM Kent Hughes has made more than his fair share of calls, but a deal has not materialized. Hughes said previously the Canadiens “won’t wait for the market” in order to move the defenseman. The problem is no one has been close to Montreal’s asking price, which is to match what the Tampa Bay Lightning paid last season for David Savard with first and third-round picks. We’ll see if they get it. There is hardly a Cup contending team Chiarot would not improve; Chiarot is a minute-chewing, dependable defenseman who is also really well-liked in locker rooms.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/seravalli-detroits-filip-zadina-joins-the-latest-trade-targets-🎯-list/

Rumblings that KK will not be extended by CAR.

Article mentions his poor work ethic and how he is now on the 4th line and sometimes skipping shifts for being too soft.

https://www.danslescoulisses.com/rumeur-les-hurricanes-pourraient-decider-de-liberer-kotkaniemi-des-cet-ete/

===

:spamafote: ... I guess KK was irreversibly destroyed by his former coach... :spamafote:

18 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Rumblings that KK will not be extended by CAR.

Article mentions his poor work ethic and how he is now on the 4th line and sometimes skipping shifts for being too soft.

https://www.danslescoulisses.com/rumeur-les-hurricanes-pourraient-decider-de-liberer-kotkaniemi-des-cet-ete/

===

:spamafote: ... I guess KK was irreversibly destroyed by his former coach... :spamafote:

I know a lot of people don't believe in +/- but here is an interesting stat. 

KK plays on Carolina, they have a goal differential  of +59,      KK is +1  

Arturri plays for Mtl. they have a goal differential of  - 79 ,   Arturri is +1

I think a lot of GM's would like to have Arturri.  What is he worth? 

34 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I know a lot of people don't believe in +/- but he is an interesting stat. 

KK plays on Carolina, they have a goal differential  of +59,      KK is +1  

Arturri plays for Mtl. they have a goal differential of  - 79 ,   Arturri is +1

I think a lot of GM's would like to have Arturri.  What is he worth? 

could Arturi be a hostile offer sheet target ? :ph34r: