Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Rumblings that KK will not be extended by CAR ... Article mentions his poor work ethic and how he is now on the 4th line and sometimes skipping shifts for being too soft ...

His full season stats place him 10th in 5-on-5 TOI amongst regular Hurricanes forwards (minimum 10 games), about as far behind 9th as he is ahead of 12th ... so 4th line is not a recent occurrence.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

His full season stats place him 10th in 5-on-5 TOI amongst regular Hurricanes forwards (minimum 10 games), about as far behind 9th as he is ahead of 12th ... so 4th line is not a recent occurrence.

Kotkaniemi is the only one of their forwards that has a negative +/- ...

And, likely, one less landing sport for Petry ... 

image.png

12 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

True, but Petry to Philly never made sense to me anyway, you would think they want to go younger and rebuild but what do I know. 

Philly was on his no-trade list...i think i heard?

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

If we can dump him, given his age and contract, dump him, i don't even need anything 

But he’s a potential 20-goal scorer 🤪

Seriously - agreed.

On 3/3/2022 at 12:22 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

Rumblings that KK will not be extended by CAR.

Article mentions his poor work ethic and how he is now on the 4th line and sometimes skipping shifts for being too soft.

https://www.danslescoulisses.com/rumeur-les-hurricanes-pourraient-decider-de-liberer-kotkaniemi-des-cet-ete/

===

:spamafote: ... I guess KK was irreversibly destroyed by his former coach... :spamafote:

Assuming this to be a credible source - and I gather that KK’s usage suggests it’s accurate - then it does indeed sound like a classic failure of player development. Bring the kid up too soon, hand him everything on a platter, and he internalizes an attitude of entitlement. Laziness, inconsistency, and general lack of professionalism ensue. You ruin him. QED. 

On 2/28/2022 at 8:09 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

For me there is no hurry at all to trade Petry.  The deal has to be right (picks/prospects). There is no need to just dump the contract. If he is happy and continues to play like he has under Martin St Louis then he is worth every penny of his contract. He is still one of the smoothest skating defenders around.  

I agree that there is no hurry to trade him. But I couldn’t give a sh*t whether he “wants” to play for MSL or to stay in Montreal, and the entire strategy with him should be to ship him out for high return. This means letting him re-establish himself as a quality #2 defender and then dealing him for picks and prospects. It would be negligent of Hugh-Gort to let him age out rather than flip him for maximum return before he declines altogether.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Assuming this to be a credible source - and I gather that KK’s usage suggests it’s accurate - then it does indeed sound like a classic failure of player development. Bring the kid up too soon, hand him everything on a platter, and he internalizes an attitude of entitlement. Laziness, inconsistency, and general lack of professionalism ensue. You ruin him. QED. 

And Carolina has not really improved the situation. In the 24 games in 2022, he has 4g+5a, and averaging just 12 minutes on the ice. More recently he has dropped below 11 minutes TOI.

There may have been entitlement with the Habs, but handing him a $6M contract certainly would not fix that.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

OR ... perhaps ... that is just his nature ... ***NOT*** that I am in any way disregarding the decisions and development with young players under MB.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

OR ... perhaps ... that is just his nature ... ***NOT*** that I am in any way disregarding the decisions and development with young players under MB.

Could be. But you have to work on the assumption that young people are malleable, to some extent.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

And Carolina has not really improved the situation. In the 24 games in 2022, he has 4g+5a, and averaging just 12 minutes on the ice. More recently he has dropped below 11 minutes TOI.

There may have been entitlement with the Habs, but handing him a $6M contract certainly would not fix that.

For sure. The kid has had everything - from a roster spot to great wealth - handed to him without having to earn a damned thing. He's still young enough to pull out of it, but with each passing year the odds of that diminish.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

If we can dump him, given his age and contract, dump him, i don't even need anything 

I think the calls on Armia are more likely centred around swapping one underperforming contract for another than a team being willing to take on the final three years outright.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Well, hope he gets moved (or unsigned?) to some west team, 'figures' it out and does well there.

So, what are odds they can ship out Armia for another underperforming player on contender with bit less $$ or term, still likely 30%?

Some smart fella pegged it at this;

Joel Armia – 30%: There are two ways Montreal gets out of his contract (three more years at $3.4 million) by the deadline.  They can retain on it or they take another contract like his back and hope it’s a better fit.  I don’t get the sense that the Canadiens want to retain on a deal for three years but if there’s a similar-priced player out there in need of a change of scenery, that one would make sense.  I feel that trade may be more likely in the summer, however, when more teams will be interested in making a move like that.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I think the calls on Armia are more likely centred around swapping one underperforming contract for another than a team being willing to take on the final three years outright.

That's the likely scenario. A team asking about Armia is a long way from anything serious. The media needs something to talk about.  I think we are stuck with him for a while unless  1) Habs willing to eat salary which I am not a fan of here  or 2) Habs take  on another bad contract.   I don't expect anything to happen with Armia unless perhaps it is part of a larger transaction. 

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree that there is no hurry to trade him. But I couldn’t give a sh*t whether he “wants” to play for MSL or to stay in Montreal, and the entire strategy with him should be to ship him out for high return. This means letting him re-establish himself as a quality #2 defender and then dealing him for picks and prospects. It would be negligent of Hugh-Gort to let him age out rather than flip him for maximum return before he declines altogether.

Absolutely, whether Petry wants to stay or not is not the determining factor, it's the return they can get while he still has value.  I don't think Hugo has any intention of letting him age out and they have pretty much stated they are looking at trading him. 

Armia is confusing to me.

Whenever he has the puck, or are on the ice , he looks so good, but once the game is done, he’s not on the scoresheet.

His skating is not to standard, but his smartness and hockeysense is elite. (As far as I can tell…)

I still imagine that he could flourish with the right company and would love that to happen in Montreal.

And I kinda feel the same about Clauge.

10 minutes ago, ch_nl said:

Armia is confusing to me.

Whenever he has the puck, or are on the ice , he looks so good, but once the game is done, he’s not on the scoresheet.

His skating is not to standard, but his smartness and hockeysense is elite. (As far as I can tell…)

I still imagine that he could flourish with the right company and would love that to happen in Montreal.

And I kinda feel the same about Clauge.

Armia reminds me of Kovalev, but less talented. One game on five games off.

Clague is just not strong enough, he reminds me of Mete but a few inches taller.

1 hour ago, ch_nl said:

Armia is confusing to me ... I still imagine that he could flourish with the right company and would love that to happen in Montreal ...

I think GMs, coaches and fans have been saying that about him since he was drafted ... maybe even before ... at 28 I think he has transitioned from "all-that-potential" to "disappointment" ...  unless the expectation/standard for him is only 15 goals per 82 games.