Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

12 minutes ago, DON said:

Yes, he stands out to me also and Kovalev also same year or close to i was hoping they would ship em, anytime after x-mas for 'something' and Koivu also many assumed he would be resigned, not sure what happened there.

I recall talk that the dressing room was split between the two Ks and management decided to not "side" with either of them but rather remake to team.

From LeBrun: Calgary, Carolina, Florida, and St. Louis are among those still in on Chiarot.  The Blues don't want to pay a 1st-rounder.

From Dreger: Minnesota also interested in Chiarot, relays Habs and Wild still talking McBain.  Montreal is open to paying the second-round pick if it comes with a guarantee he signs.

https://www.tsn.ca/NHL/video/insider-trading-talks-escalating-for-chiarot-leafs-showing-inter~2403005

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

From LeBrun: Calgary, Carolina, Florida, and St. Louis are among those still in on Chiarot.  The Blues don't want to pay a 1st-rounder.

From Dreger: Minnesota also interested in Chiarot, relays Habs and Wild still talking McBain.  Montreal is open to paying the second-round pick if it comes with a guarantee he signs.

https://www.tsn.ca/NHL/video/insider-trading-talks-escalating-for-chiarot-leafs-showing-inter~2403005

From the scouts at the game, none of the teams listed as interested in Chiarot, but 4 teams that need to beef up their roster to get through the division:

image.png

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

From the scouts at the game, none of the teams listed as interested in Chiarot, but 4 teams that need to beef up their roster to get through the division:

image.png

Chiarot didnt play.... i dont think the scouts there were for him.

Lehkonen, kulak, perreault, petry.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Chiarot didnt play.... i dont think the scouts there were for him.

Lehkonen, kulak, perreault, petry.

yes, and maybe interest in Hoffman ? (Drouin if he had played, either one may interest other clubs)

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

yes, and maybe interest in Hoffman ? (Drouin if he had played, either one may interest other clubs)

I don't think a healthy Drouin would be of much interest to a playoff contender for a lot of reasons.  Maybe a cheap rental at this time next year as his contract will be expiring. 

Nashville, who was at the game.

Filip Forsberg is an UFA this summer and they need scoring. Adding a snipper (Hoffman) or a perennial “upside potential” F (Drouin) may help them

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

McBain has 2nd line C upside... but more likely a good #3

Does he really have 2C upside still?  He did when he was drafted and then went and had three underwhelming years of college (20-21 was a little better but below a point per game still).  Is this season where he showed his true upside or a senior taking advantage of playing against players younger than him?  I kind of think it's the latter.  Personally, I think his upside at this point is a 3C with the likeliest scenario being a 3/4 guy (which for a second-round pick, isn't a terrible return).

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Personally, I think his upside at this point is a 3C with the likeliest scenario being a 3/4 guy (which for a second-round pick, isn't a terrible return).

No, not a terrible return. But we are not short of 3C/4C guys. If we acquire another centre, it really needs to be someone with solid 2C potential.

Otherwise I'd rather spend all our credits on D.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

No, not a terrible return. But we are not short of 3C/4C guys. If we acquire another centre, it really needs to be someone with solid 2C potential.

Otherwise I'd rather spend all our credits on D.

The unknown is ... do H&G have confidence in Dvorak, in Evans' health (also, he has 1g/5a in 15 games since February 1st) and in Poehling's "potential" going forward?  

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Does he really have 2C upside still?  He did when he was drafted and then went and had three underwhelming years of college (20-21 was a little better but below a point per game still).  Is this season where he showed his true upside or a senior taking advantage of playing against players younger than him?  I kind of think it's the latter.  Personally, I think his upside at this point is a 3C with the likeliest scenario being a 3/4 guy (which for a second-round pick, isn't a terrible return).

As I said, the more likely scenario is 3C.  I think there might be a small chance that this offence is a big centre finding his game.... maybe 10% chance, but when we say upside, I still think he has a chance at it. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

As I said, the more likely scenario is 3C.  I think there might be a small chance that this offence is a big centre finding his game.... maybe 10% chance, but when we say upside, I still think he has a chance at it. 

Big guys quite often take a little longer to develop. I watched a few clips, he is definitely not shy about throwing his body around, might be the perfect 3C as he might have an element none of our other centers bring. I think Dvorak makes too much for a 3C and is maybe not quite good enough for a 2C.  If the Habs take a centre in the draft (Wright/Cooley) then I think Dvorak is very expendable. 

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The unknown is ... do H&G have confidence in Dvorak, in Evans' health (also, he has 1g/5a in 15 games since February 1st) and in Poehling's "potential" going forward?  

Dauphin can play C and appears to be at least as good as Poehling. And then there is Pitlick (Rem), too. That's five centres (not counting Perreault), so I should hope we can get a credible 3C and 4C from that bunch, at a minimum.

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Dauphin can play C and appears to be at least as good as Poehling. 

I don't agree, he is almost 27 and I think we have seen his ceiling. Poehling is younger, stronger, faster. He hasn't put it together so far like we had hoped but I think his ceiling is far above Dauphin's. 

With Perreault on waivers - a roster move should be imminent!

40 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't agree, he is almost 27 and I think we have seen his ceiling. Poehling is younger, stronger, faster. He hasn't put it together so far like we had hoped but I think his ceiling is far above Dauphin's. 

The question is less of Dauphin than of Poehling: has he reached his ceiling or not yet?

54 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The question is less of Dauphin than of Poehling: has he reached his ceiling or not yet?

Poehling just turned 23 in January, has had some injury setbacks and some maturing to do. I think the short answer is NO he hasn't reached his ceiling yet. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

the habs need a reliable 2C better than Dvorak has shown to be

I'd like to see Dvorak in the Habs lineup today, not the first 40 games of the season before making any determination.  He showed he was a capable #2 in Arizona. 

We should get that soon as he may play as early as our next game. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Dauphin can play C and appears to be at least as good as Poehling. And then there is Pitlick (Rem), too. That's five centres (not counting Perreault), so I should hope we can get a credible 3C and 4C from that bunch, at a minimum.

Please don’t even mention Perrault. But yeah, we need a legit #2 centre. Ideal situation would be drafting Wright and Bedard back to back and than trading for a legit top dman in the next two years.

After decades of black holes at centre, imagine Bedard, Suzuki, Wright!

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Please don’t even mention Perrault. But yeah, we need a legit #2 centre. Ideal situation would be drafting Wright and Bedard back to back and than trading for a legit top dman in the next two years.

After decades of black holes at centre, imagine Bedard, Suzuki, Wright!

Even If you manage to finish dead last in both 2022, and 2023... .the chances of winning two consecutive lotteries are less than 1 in 16. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Even If you manage to finish dead last in both 2022, and 2023... .the chances of winning two consecutive lotteries are less than 1 in 16. 

Unless you are the Edmonton Oilers (3 in a row, 4 in 6 years) ... even with the rules then in place it was odds defying. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Didn’t the rangers win the lottery in two consecutive years - despite not finishing last?

22 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Didn’t the rangers win the lottery in two consecutive years - despite not finishing last?

The first year they got the 2nd pick. 

The second year was a weird covid-year lottery, and so the odds weren't quite the same as today. 

That said 1 in 16 isn't impossible, just that it is highly unlikely.   It's the same odds as flipping four coins at once and all four coming up heads.