Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

37 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Now that the Chiarot trade is out of the way I wonder who is next?  I am expecting Kulak has some interest as a depth defenseman and will fetch a 3rd - 5th rounder. Sounds like a lot of interest in Jack McBain.

The reported ask is a 2nd (or it was a few days ago) and I have a hard time thinking he'll get that.  The fact that Hughes talked about potentially extending Kulak today tells me his market isn't all that strong.

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The reported ask is a 2nd (or it was a few days ago) and I have a hard time thinking he'll get that.  The fact that Hughes talked about potentially extending Kulak today tells me his market isn't all that strong.

It sounds like Hughes likes Kulak so perhaps he is staying, they do need some veterans.  Perhaps the excitement is over for now and things will be quiet on the Habs front until summer unless he gets blown away by an offer. He certainly did his job with the Chiarot trade as I think he got the maximum. 

Pivoting from clydesdales to defencemen who can skate like Kulak is a good idea IMO.  This is what Gorton did with his defence core in New York when he took over there too, pivoting from the Girardi/Staal types to more Fox, Trouba, etc. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Now that the Chiarot trade is out of the way I wonder who is next?  I am expecting Kulak has some interest as a depth defenseman and will fetch a 3rd - 5th rounder. Sounds like a lot of interest in Jack McBain.

Sounds about right, 4th/5th rounder would be good, he is a good #7 d-man i suppose.

One shift he looks like a solid 2nd pairing guy, the next an AHL regular. And hasnt changed in couple years, so i have no confidence in his play, but he does have some value i guess.

29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Pivoting from clydesdales to defencemen who can skate like Kulak is a good idea IMO.  This is what Gorton did with his defence core in New York when he took over there too, pivoting from the Girardi/Staal types to more Fox, Trouba, etc. 

While you can't deny that the Clydesdale model worked spectacularly last playoff, I completely agree. That was always a bizarre outlier in NHL terms, and it's also significant that Price was in Beast Mode last playoff, which may have made the model look better than it really was (?).

Darren Dreger on
@TSN690
“I know Kent Hughes was busy yesterday afternoon, right up to puck drop… I feel another piece is going to drop soon, maybe as early as today

Arturri lehkonen is in play as the team is trying to determine if they can sign him for 4-5 years and for how much vs weighing what he will get in trade return.

Habs dont lack wingers, that could fill Lehkonen's role, do they?

Even just a late 1st round pick should be jumped at for him, no?

He is solid defensively and seems a very nice fella, but he can easily be replaced over next couple years, at least before any cup run that seems safe to say.

1 minute ago, DON said:

Habs dont lack wingers, that could fill Lehkonen's role, do they?

Even just a late 1st round pick should be jumped at for him, no?

He is solid defensively and seems a very nice fella, but he can easily be replaced over next couple years, at least before any cup run that seems safe to say.

Agree. This is the best year of his career by some distance - exactly the wrong time to lock up a guy, especially a bottom-6 FW, i.e., precisely the type of player you should replace from within rather than overpay. But this doesn’t seem to be the popular opinion among Habs fans.

17 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

At some point the Canadiens made a “serious” inquiry on Kapanen from Pittsburgh.  Also it sounds like the Habs are trying to trade the Weber contract.

I'm assuming this is the source on Kapanen?

He's one that likes to throw a lot of stuff out there - I'm not sure one has landed correctly yet.

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree. This is the best year of his career by some distance - exactly the wrong time to lock up a guy, especially a bottom-6 FW, i.e., precisely the type of player you should replace from within rather than overpay. But this doesn’t seem to be the popular opinion among Habs fans.

In case this was addressed to me ... my view is that Lehkonen is valuable (though not irreplaceable), and while we have many other wingers, they are not quite the same.

What I have proposed is that Hughes/Gorton should see whether they can sign Lehkonen to a good contract before trading him away. And that is what it appears that they are doing. That doesn't mean overpaying, but HuGo have way more information (about the team strategy, about the Lehkonen performance and about the contract possibilities) than I do, so I will trust their judgement on this. As I will trust them on their asking price if they do decide to make a trade.

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He's one that likes to throw a lot of stuff out there - I'm not sure one has landed correctly yet.

Kingerski, adrian dater, jimmy murphy all work together and they all have horrible records on rumours

They all love to make up habs rumours too cause our fanbase is big and gives them attention.

36 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yes, that is the source.

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Given what Hagel just got (and no lehkonen will not get the same it will be less) but given that market, you gotta deal him.

Assuming it’s not just TB that’s willing to pay two firsts…

8 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Would Hoffman land us 2 first round picks🤔

Nope.  Not even close to that.  Hagel's value comes from his contract.  Hoffman makes three times as much and has been much less productive this season.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Nope.  Not even close to that.  Hagel's value comes from his contract.  Hoffman makes three times as much and has been much less productive this season.

I like Hoffman, but moving him is about dumping his contract, not getting a juicy return.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I doubt if we’d even get a 2nd for Hoffman without retention