Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I know a few teams have inquired about Lehkonen, hoping he's the next Goodrow or Coleman.  The assumption is his next contract will be $3.5m-$4m per year.   The price is high on him because Hughes has serious interest in resigning him, so if he's being traded the offer need to knock your socks off.  He is a RFA after this season as well, so there's no chance of trade and resigning him in the offseason, which also increases his value. 

Bottom line is Hughes will get his asking price or Lehkonen will stay put.

I quoted Commandant's post about the Lebrun tweet and it quoted completely different post?

26 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah. But just “feels like” and “my sense” so no actual insider info.

We’ll know in three days, though.

Or, more likely IMO, he has insider information but not from a "strong" source ... OR ... maybe he only reports without qualification what he has confirmed from two or more sources.

19 minutes ago, huzer said:

Given the Habs cap situation next year, can they afford the luxury of another 3.5-4.5M middle 6 winger? Seems a tricky proposition if there's significant interesting in Lehkonen.

Suzuki's $7.875M contract kicks in next season ... CapFriendly projects the Habs as having $1.7M in cap space and 16 NHL players (you have to add the IR players to the "12" they show in their team summary) ... I am excluding Weber as he will either be moved or just sit on LTIR ... Romanov is an RFA, and IMO more important to re-sign than Lehkonen ... HuGo will have to get creative in the offseason.

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

HuGo will have to get creative in the offseason.

Whether or not Lehkonen is traded, I am absolutely certain that more players will be moved, either now or in the summer.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Or, more likely IMO, he has insider information but not from a "strong" source ... OR ... maybe he only reports without qualification what he has confirmed from two or more sources.

There's a handful of insiders that are more reliable than others.  LeBrun is one of those.  His "feeling" is based on more than a feeling, it's just being presented that way.

Let's be honest, if Bob McKenzie said he had a feeling Lehkonen will be traded, we would all take it as a when, not if. 

Today’s article on the Athletic had relevant comments from Hughes. It’s about Kulak but as relevant to the Lehkonen discussion as well.

“We love Brett Kulak as a player. We’re not interested in trading him,” the GM said. “I can never say that we will not trade a player. If there’s an offer we can’t refuse, we’ll definitely consider it. But I can tell you that we don’t make calls asking people if they are interested in Brett Kulak.”

It’s all about getting more value in a trade. Which is how it should be.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Today’s article on the Athletic had relevant comments from Hughes. It’s about Kulak but as relevant to the Lehkonen discussion as well.

“We love Brett Kulak as a player. We’re not interested in trading him,” the GM said. “I can never say that we will not trade a player. If there’s an offer we can’t refuse, we’ll definitely consider it. But I can tell you that we don’t make calls asking people if they are interested in Brett Kulak.”

It’s all about getting more value in a trade. Which is how it should be.

Interesting. We don’t yet know Hughes’s style. Is he pumping Kulak’s tires strategically (to inflate the player’s value, or maybe his self-confidence as a way of ultimately inflating his value)? Or is he sincere - as in, the new management group actually does love Kulak? If the latter, then one inference is that they are obviously big on advanced stats, since Kulak seems to be an advanced-stats darling.

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Interesting. We don’t yet know Hughes’s style. Is he pumping Kulak’s tires strategically (to inflate the player’s value, or maybe his self-confidence as a way of ultimately inflating his value)? Or is he sincere - as in, the new management group actually does love Kulak? If the latter, then one inference is that they are obviously big on advanced stats, since Kulak seems to be an advanced-stats darling.

Maybe Richardson also needs to go? I assume they will quickly mostly clean house behind the bench at season end, with St Louis seemingly looking good to be named coach full time.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

At least we know his style isn’t to make comments like “if you want want loyalty by a dog”

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

At least we know his style isn’t to make comments like “if you want want loyalty by a dog”

I liked that comment, I love dogs

from 32 thoughts:

6. Something to keep an eye on: Colin White and Montreal. Canadiens GM Kent Hughes represented White, negotiating his current contract with the Senators. There were conversations, and, for a time, a few sources expected it to happen. We will see if it gets revisited

13. Edmonton liked Arturri Lehkonen, but couldn’t pay the same price as Colorado.

14. Montreal’s return for Ben Chiarot drove up the cost for Jakob Chychrun

17. Think there were a few teams who saw Brett Kulak and Jeremy Lauzon go for second-round picks, and regretted not getting on Robert Hagg. He went to Florida for a sixth. 

I had seen some speculation that White was seriously in play but dismissed it as wishful thinking from Ottawa.  I'm surprised it was Montreal that was the interested team.  That's a bad contract; I think there's a good chance he's bought out this summer (the cost would only be one-third instead of the usual two-thirds).

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I had seen some speculation that White was seriously in play but dismissed it as wishful thinking from Ottawa.  I'm surprised it was Montreal that was the interested team.  That's a bad contract; I think there's a good chance he's bought out this summer (the cost would only be one-third instead of the usual two-thirds).

It is a bad contract. You would think that Dorion is one GM who will be on the hot seat next year as this is their 4th bad season in a row. How long do you give a guy to rebuild?   

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

What do you to you think the market will be for White once he is an UFA if bought out?

10 hours ago, GHT120 said:

What do you to you think the market will be for White once he is an UFA if bought out?

Not great in terms of his leverage but there should be a lot of interest in a short-term deal around half of what he's getting now.  Maybe a one-year, $2.5M deal that gives White another RFA-eligible season if the Sens were to buy him out.

Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun is saying he believes Montreal with take a run at Giroux in free agency.  

With the rumours of Hughes making a play for Collin White and saying they will be aggressive during free agency, is anyone else concerned with this retool now?  I was all in on a full rebuild, like most fans, and now it’s back to another retool by the looks of it.

19 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun is saying he believes Montreal with take a run at Giroux in free agency.  

With the rumours of Hughes making a play for Collin White and saying they will be aggressive during free agency, is anyone else concerned with this retool now?  I was all in on a full rebuild, like most fans, and now it’s back to another retool by the looks of it.

Garioch tries to guess on Habs stuff, and it never pans out.

Nothing to see here :tumbleweed:

42 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Unlike the Bob Mckenzie's of the world Boo-Boo has always struck me as a click-bait "woman-of-ill-repute" ... I think HoGo may look at some short-term veterans to mentor youngsters but nothing significant ... unless they manage to move several of Price, Gallagher, Petry, Drouin and Weber before free agency.

Garrioch is a mouth piece for the Sens organization.  Seemingly everything transaction wise that is broken about that team comes from him.  I dont doubt his ottawa sources.

Elsewhere he kinda sucks.

5 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Vignault our next headcoach?

Read something on habseyeontheprice...

Read now that its an april fools joke. 😁

Him as assistant coach would be fine, seems a smart witty fella and experience might help St Louis, but obviously he is likely looking another head coaching gig.