Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

6 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There’s no way is trade our #1 pick, maybe the puck from a Calgary, depending on what else we have to give up. I’d want to love some salary out though - preferably they guys we don’t want/need like Petry (doubt he’d be willing to go), Gallagher (doubt if he’d want to go, or if Winnipeg would want him), Savard (unsure what type of NTC/NMC he has), Hoffman (doubt if Winnipeg wants him), Byron (damaged goods - doubt if they want him, or if he’s even tradeable).

I like CC’s proposal Svorak/Anderson), just can’t seeing the jets going for it.

I like that proposal too, love it from a Habs point of view but not enough for Winnipeg. Winnipeg would also be taking on 10M/year in salary,  not a chance.   I think the Habs wait for the lottery to see where the balls fall. If they get the  #1 pick and they love Wright then PLD is not coming to Montreal.  The money and resources required to get him can be better spent elsewhere. 

Petry supposedly open to returning, but Habs supposedly have their eye on Letang. I love the idea of slotting Letang in to replace this entitled head case, but it would need to be on a deal for three years max.  Jeff Petry open to remain in Montreal, but Canadiens might have other plans | Montreal Gazette

Not really a rumour, but Price confirms that his knee is not good. He's not throwing in the towel yet, however. Another surgery (!!) a possibility Carey Price looking for answers as he ponders his future | Montreal Gazette

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... to replace this entitled head case ...

I have sympathy for him being away from family ... especially given the specific circumstances as I expect it added family stress ... but I also wouldn't want to take a chance on his wife wanting to return to Montreal and/or something else  upsetting his "equilibrium" ... don't expect any significant asset coming to Habs, in return for which the habs should not retain salary ... whether a minor-moderate asset needs to be included to sweeten the deal, or a shorter term bad contract coming back, will depend on how well HuGo can negotiate.

25 minutes ago, Neech said:

If he's traded, I expect something good coming back. He's still a solid top-4 RHD.

I agree -- I expect that Hugo would be able to negotiate a non-trivial asset in return.

37 minutes ago, Neech said:

... If he's traded, I expect something good coming back. He's still a solid top-4 RHD.

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I agree -- I expect that Hugo would be able to negotiate a non-trivial asset in return.

Ideally, I agree ... but the challenge will be finding a team willing/able to take on his full cap hit AND also give up a good/non-trivial asset ... the first seriously limits the number of possible teams ... I would trade-off getting a lesser return for not retaining any AAV.

45 minutes ago, Neech said:

Kinda out of left field to call Petry that. 

If he's traded, I expect something good coming back. He's still a solid top-4 RHD.

I agree, it was a tough year for Petry on a personal level, players are human too.  I listened to his interview and he left no doubt that he loves Montreal and he has demonstrated that in the past by signing contracts to stay here. 

He is still one of the smoother skating RHD's in the NHL and he still has good years left. He certainly has value and unless they get a  a good young piece back then I am fine with keeping him. 

Maybe intemperate of me…but his complete refusal or inability to play even half-decent hockey for the first half of the season was unprofessional IMHO. The team needed him as a veteran leader and he was lost in space. Indeed, all he did was damage his trade value. Thanks for nothing.

That being said, the team needs veteran D who can move the puck to help with the transition on the blueline over the next 2-3 years or so. *IF* we can’t get a credible replacement and he actually is willing to stay, then we should keep him. 

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Maybe intemperate of me…but his complete refusal or inability to play even half-decent hockey for the first half of the season was unprofessional IMHO.

You could have almost said the same thing about Caulfield but everyone thought it was the coaches fault which looking back it probably was to a large degree.

I get what you are saying, that you expect more from a veteran.  It's also more acceptable for a veteran to speak their mind which Petry did.  Petry recovered nicely near the end of the year and his stats weren't terrible considering the awful start, 27Pts in 68 games, -11  is not terrible on a bad team.  I am absolutely fine with keeping him until the return is good and I have no doubt there are teams interested, whether the return is enough to satisfy HuGo is another question. 

On the other hand I expect there will be almost zero interest in Gallagher unless Montreal includes sweeteners (ie young prospects, picks) which I am not a fan of.  We are stuck with Gallagher and hopefully he has a rebound year after a summer of rest. I wouldn't bet against that happening, he is a pretty determined guy. 

42 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Maybe intemperate of me…but his complete refusal or inability to play even half-decent hockey for the first half of the season was unprofessional IMHO. The team needed him as a veteran leader and he was lost in space. Indeed, all he did was damage his trade value. Thanks for nothing.

That being said, the team needs veteran D who can move the puck to help with the transition on the blueline over the next 2-3 years or so. *IF* we can’t get a credible replacement and he actually is willing to stay, then we should keep him. 

I’d rather move him, and pick up a veteran on a shorter term. Not sure if want to commit to Letang for three years. I get he had his highest point total  this year, but he’s 35, and has had his share of injuries. The risk for a drop off is high. On a three year deal, in the he last year of the deal, he’d probably be close to done. You usually give a guy an extra year when you think you can win now, and are willing to live with the extra year if it helps you contend now. I don’t really see us making the playoffs next year, let alone being able to contend. Maybe if we all goes well, we can become a solid playoff team and potentially a contender after two years.  I think Letang would be a great veteran presence and mentor. But we already have 3 old Dmen signed to long term deals. Even assuming Petry is moved, I’d still rather try and pick up someone in that mid to late 20’s age bracket. Not sure who that is, but this a league getting younger, we have have enough guys signed past their best before dates, that we are for past performance. On the flip side we have only Romanov who has a full year now as a dman. We need some players who are close to or at their peak, not guys who are going to decline.

Our salary situation sucks with our current overpays, as well as guys like Romanov and  Caufield who will need to be resigned this summer and next summer. if next year Caufield scores like he did the last half of the year, he’ll be probably making more than Suzuki.

We already have a lot of old guys that aren’t going to be worth what we are paying for the full term of their contracts, are, or will be on LTIR - Weber, Price, Gallagher, Savard, Byron, Hoffman. I’d rather not add to the list of contracts where we are paying for what players did in the past, rather than what they will be able to do on a go forward basis.

14 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d rather move him, and pick up a veteran on a shorter term. Not sure if want to commit to Letang for three years. I get he had his highest point total  this year, but he’s 35, and has had his share of injuries. The risk for a drop off is high. On a three year deal, in the he last year of the deal, he’d probably be close to done. You usually give a guy an extra year when you think you can win now, and are willing to live with the extra year if it helps you contend now. I don’t really see us making the playoffs next year, let alone being able to contend. Maybe if we all goes well, we can become a solid playoff team and potentially a contender after two years.  I think Letang would be a great veteran presence and mentor. But we already have 3 old Dmen signed to long term deals. Even assuming Petry is moved, I’d still rather try and pick up someone in that mid to late 20’s age bracket. Not sure who that is, but this a league getting younger, we have have enough guys signed past their best before dates, that we are for past performance. On the flip side we have only Romanov who has a full year now as a dman. We need some players who are close to or at their peak, not guys who are going to decline.

Our salary situation sucks with our current overpays, as well as guys like Romanov and  Caufield who will need to be resigned this summer and next summer. if next year Caufield scores like he did the last half of the year, he’ll be probably making more than Suzuki.

We already have a lot of old guys that aren’t going to be worth what we are paying for the full term of their contracts, are, or will be on LTIR - Weber, Price, Gallagher, Savard, Byron, Hoffman. I’d rather not add to the list of contracts where we are paying for what players did in the past, rather than what they will be able to do on a go forward basis.

It’s not an easy puzzle, that’s for sure. I agree that Letang for two years is a no-brainer, but for three gets unsettling. Petry is on the books for another three years. So if we lose him and insert Letang for three, the term leaves us no worse off. The problem with this scenario is that Letang will surely command more than Petry’s 6.5 cap hit, and we may well need that cap space by year three.

However, from a developmental POV, we need veteran D to help stabilize the blueline so that they can eat the tough minutes and insulate the up-and-comers, putting them in a position to succeed. Petry-Savard-Romanov-Edmundson leaves two spots open for raw rookies, which is arguably one too many - although it may suffice to add one competent veteran #4-5 guy under those circumstances. Subtract Petry, though, and you’re left with two top-4 D and three open spots, and that is *definitely* waaaay too many holes to be a good ‘developmental’ environment for young defencemen.

How are we going to find a legitimate, minutes-eating rushing defenceman? There are not a lot out there that I know of. Petry or Letang for three years may be the only plausible options without sacrificing assets.

I cannot believe that Price, Gally, Hoffman and Byron are all going to be on the books long term, though. Some combination of LTIR, trades, and retirement will befall at least two of these guys, I’m sure. (Savard I keep just because he’s a veteran D-man who can eat minutes, even if he doesn’t do so especially well. He’s insulation).

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s not an easy puzzle, that’s for sure. I agree that Letang for two years is a no-brainer, but for three gets unsettling. Petry is on the books for another three years. So if we lose him and insert Letang for three, the term leaves us no worse off. The problem with this scenario is that Letang will surely command more than Petry’s 6.5 cap hit, and we may well need that cap space by year three.

Right. Neither Petry or Letang is really going to help us be a contender in the long term, what either one would provide is veteran leadership and stability for the young D-men for the next few years. But, unless Hugo is able to extract a king's ransom for Petry from somewhere, we'll end up with less cap space and still an aging D-man on a three-year contract.

At which point I wonder whether it's really worthwhile, or might it make more sense to just keep Petry?

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Right. Neither Petry or Letang is really going to help us be a contender in the long term, what either one would provide is veteran leadership and stability for the young D-men for the next few years. But, unless Hugo is able to extract a king's ransom for Petry from somewhere, we'll end up with less cap space and still an aging D-man on a three-year contract.

At which point I wonder whether it's really worthwhile, or might it make more sense to just keep Petry?

If Petry wants to stay, I just keep him and hope he doesn't flake out again during the next Covid wave.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think Hughes was pretty open about helping him move along and Petry did ask for a trade. But if no 'good' offers in summer, he stays, plays better and THEN dealt at next deadline, might get better value?

I just think there is no rush to trade Petry unless you get the right offer, his contract is decent value based on his recent play.   I think there will be offers for Petry whether they are good enough for Hughes to pull the trigger remains to be seen. His big challenge this summer will be getting rid of some of the other contracts. 

Seems is some kind of plan for Webers deal, didnt Hughes mention it almost happened and Arizona is the team isnt it?

I dont have a clue what is likely needed to be added to convince Arizona to take it on? 2023 1st round pick?

40 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If Petry wants to stay, I just keep him and hope he doesn't flake out again during the next Covid wave.

If his wife were to decide not to return to montreal it wouldn't take another Covid wave to re-create the issues he faced this season.

28 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I just think there is no rush to trade Petry unless you get the right offer, his contract is decent value based on his recent play ...

"recent play" is the key there ... I have no confidence that it is indicative of what we would see from him in Montreal next season ... I also don't feel he is player I want setting the example for youngsters.

27 minutes ago, DON said:

Seems is some kind of plan for Webers deal, didnt Hughes mention it almost happened and Arizona is the team isnt it?

I dont have a clue what is likely needed to be added to convince Arizona to take it on? 2023 1st round pick?

1st round pick is WAY too much.

1 hour ago, DON said:

If Arizona needs to get to the cap floor, I don’t think we’d need to give anything up. I’m not sure what their cap situation is though.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

1st round pick is WAY too much.

ESPECIALLY in the Connor Bedard draft

1 hour ago, DON said:

So it should be pretty painless?

I've brought up the Marian Hossa trade from before, a deal that had I think seven players (including several prospects) plus a couple of draft picks.  That's how they're going to have to dress it up; there was speculation the league vetoed a Weber to Arizona trade at the deadline that was a much simpler move.  By including him in a swap with several other elements, they can make it look less obvious that it's a straight cap dump.  It'll be a deal that definitely is in Arizona's favour though.