Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Id drive anderson to New Jersey to make that trade.

And then Id draft Shane Wright 1st and Simon Nemec 2nd.

tenor.gif

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

He has skills but no consistency in how they are used ... a classic "leaves you wanting more" player

Nazim will be 32 to start next season ... I doubt Kadri takes much of a discount to come to a high-tax situation, with a rebuilding team that has two (hopefully) high-end young centres ... IMO a Kadri-type veteran (but not necessarily a centre) is a summer 2024 UFA target, when hopefully the team is ready to be a serious playoff contender and the cap issues are as resolved as possible (i.e., Price's deal will still be a cap-anvil, unless he is playing like 2014/15, 2015/16 Carey).

Ya, Armia needs more consistency, or maybe its confidence, but either way I hope MSL can get it out of him.  Its funny that so far I haven't heard his name mentioned in any rumours.  

Whos is the high end C other than Suzuki?

I honestly think if Hughes pulls off the right moves they could be contenders again next season, they just need to make the playoffs and get a chance.  Drafting the Slovak and trying to get Kadri for 4 yrs @ $6/yr is 1 way to do it.    It would be smart to get him at a discount just to prevent another team from getting him.  Kardi is likely heading East, and there is a rumour that Bos wants him bad.  There is a good chance that Bos wont make the playoffs next year, and their spot could be the Habs.  Same with Pens too, especially if the Habs can snag Letang away from them that would increase the odds two fold.  i.e. improving the Habs and weakening the Pens.  Hextalls prio is to resign him, but that hasnt been done yet.  

I've heard Wright wont be NHL ready - but the Slovak will.  If the draft Wright they will need a C and will probably have another no playoff year.  The Habs do need more scoring, and they did add Dadonov but adding the Slovak would be immediately even better.  Then think, if they have Kadri too.  All 3 could hit 30g, + Caufiled, and possibly Anderson, and Suzuki.  

I heard Hoffman's name in a rumour but it was unspecific and only said that teams had inquired about him.  I actually like him, he has a decent aav and term, and although he's not great defensively I dont believe he's as bad as most here suggest.  I would trade him for hockey pucks though and use his aav to target Phil Kessel for 2 yrs @ 1.75-2.5/yr.  He's 34 and coming off a huge contract, he likely isnt in high demand, and would be interesting, cheap and relatively short term pick up.  He's got a great wrist shot and release, gets a lot of assists and could QB the 2nd pp unit if not the 1st.  He did have 12 ppa last year, 2 ppg, (only 8g total, but 44 a = 52 pts).  He's also a playoff producer.     

The Habs really just need a G, and Fleury did say he was open to playing for the Habs.  They must find out what he would take, and then figure who else to move to stay under the cap to make it happen.  Allen would need to be moved and I havent heard his name in any rumours, but I did hear Primeau being in a package that NJ wants for the 2nd pick.  

5 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Ya, Armia needs more consistency, or maybe its confidence, but either way I hope MSL can get it out of him.  Its funny that so far I haven't heard his name mentioned in any rumours.  

I honestly think if Hughes pulls off the right moves they could be contenders again next season, they just need to make the playoffs and get a chance.  Drafting the Slovak and trying to get Kadri for 4 yrs @ $6/yr is 1 way to do it.    It would be smart to get him at a discount just to prevent another team from getting him.  Kardi is likely heading East, and there is a rumour that Bos wants him bad.  There is a good chance that Bos wont make the playoffs next year, and their spot could be the Habs.  Same with Pens too, especially if the Habs can snag Letang away from them that would increase the odds two fold.  i.e. improving the Habs and weakening the Pens.  Hextalls prio is to resign him, but that hasnt been done yet.  

I've heard Wright wont be NHL ready - but the Slovak will.  If the draft Wright they will need a C and will probably have another no playoff year.  The Habs do need more scoring, and they did add Dadonov but adding the Slovak would be immediately even better.  Then think, if they have Kadri too.  All 3 could hit 30g, + Caufiled, and possibly Anderson, and Suzuki.  

I heard Hoffman's name in a rumour but it was unspecific and only said that teams had inquired about him.  I actually like him, he has a decent aav and term, and although he's not great defensively I dont believe he's as bad as most here suggest.  I would trade him for hockey pucks though and use his aav to target Phil Kessel for 2 yrs @ 1.75-2.5/yr.  He's 34 and coming off a huge contract, he likely isnt in high demand, and would be interesting, cheap and relatively short term pick up.  He's got a great wrist shot and release, gets a lot of assists and could QB the 2nd pp unit if not the 1st.  He did have 12 ppa last year, 2 ppg, (only 8g total, but 44 a = 52 pts).  He's also a playoff producer.     

The Habs really just need a G, and Fleury did say he was open to playing for the Habs.  They must find out what he would take, and then figure who else to move to stay under the cap to make it happen.  Allen would need to be moved and I havent heard his name in any rumours, but I did hear Primeau being in a package that NJ wants for the 2nd pick.  

No, thank you.

Habs tank again in 2022-2023 or they will be in the same position Mr Bergevin had them for years: perennial bubble team

That’s because no one wants to pay $3.4m for the next 3 years for a guy who plays like a fourth liner for too many games. You want to pay that much for a Solid 3 liner who is capable of sliding up when needed. You don’t want to pay that much for a guy who slides down the lineup as often as Armia does.

i think there is a chance that the Bruins slip out of a playoff spot if their injured guys are slow getting back and they don’t sign a guy like Kadri. I can’t see the Pens slipping. If they lose Malkin and Letang, they will go hard after a Kadri, or potentially trading for a guy like Petry. They have a few more years of Crosby. I can’t see them wasting them, unless they go the total tank and try to reload with Bedard. But I don’t see that happening.

Ya, Armia needs more consistency, or maybe its confidence, but either way I hope MSL can get it out of him.  Its funny that so far I haven't heard his name mentioned in any rumours...

Likely because at this point he is a "pay to move (asset or bad contract)" or "give away" player in a trade because of his contract and at 29 "he is what he is"

... Whos is the high end C other than Suzuki?  ...  I've heard Wright wont be NHL ready ...

Kadri is looking for a long-term deal ... so beyond next season ... even ***IF*** Hughes is not ready next season he is projected to be a high-end centre (which is not admittedly the same as elite)

... I honestly think if Hughes pulls off the right moves they could be contenders again next season, they just need to make the playoffs and get a chance.  ...

Not contenders, pretenders ... Habs management teams have, for the most part of the last three decades, based their plans on sneaking in to the playoffs and praying for a 20/21-ish playoff run ... it has happened once ... might have been twice if not for Kreider in 2014.

HoGo have talked about a sustainable rebuild ... that is not done with short-term band-aids for a one or two year wild card run that then clutter up the salary cap.

But this is the age-old debate ... "anything can happen if you make the playoffs" versus "build a legit Cup contender" ... I for one have seen waayyy too much of what hasn't happened since 1993.

6 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... but I did hear Primeau being in a package that NJ wants for the 2nd pick.  

Primeau's value is as a 3rd/4th complementary piece in a package ... 

Let's be honest on the record of past GMs

Gainey re-built respectability, bringing the team to the middle of the pack

The goat/ghost did what he does but only for a short period

Bergevin built the team around Price, adding Weber and retooling a few times to help the Habs get into cup runs on the back of a healthy Price: classic bubble team

---

Molson pulled the plug, probably pressured by corporate customers and the success NYR had in their rebuild.

We are all hoping Hugh-Gort delivers

A team with this D and a broken-down Price isn’t going anywhere no matter who we add up front. Period. Therefore, we should avoid tying ourselves to any contracts which are likely to be boat anchors by the time the team is in a position to actually do damage.

We have good pieces in Caufield and Suzuki and some promising blueline prospects. We’re not starting from zero. But in terms of recent history, this moment most closely resembles the start of Bob Gainey’s tenure. Bob came on in the summer of 2003 and it took 4-5 years for the results of that rebuild to fully show. Because HughGort is inheriting a stronger foundation than Bob did, we’re likely looking at a 3-4 year process in this case.

Get used to lost of losing for the next while. By the time we finally break through to excellence, it is quite possible that many of the tank-o-logists will be howling with rage and frustration at all the losing.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The reality is that many players are streaky. Sometimes even elite ones, but certainly the ones below that level. Let's look at Anderson, as an example, since we were talking about him:

• 0g+1a in first 7 games
  • 3g+2a in next 4 games
  • 0g+0a in next 5 games
  • 4g+3a in next 7 games
  • 2g+2a in next 15 games
  • 6g+1a in next 4 games
  • 3g+1a in next 22 games
  • 1g+3a the last 3 games

Streaky? Yes, I think so, but not unusually so. Players have good days and bad days, and opponents and line matches  vary, too. (For what it's worth, the above looks fairly similar to Armia's 2020-21 season in terms of streakiness -- not comparing points or other attributes here.)

Big news out of Ottawa 

not confirmed yet

With all of these rumours swirling around Dubois and Montreal now that he has told Winnipeg he plans to test free agency in 2024, why does anyone think Montreal is still chasing him?  I get it when the Laine trade happened, being thin at center, but now with Suzuki and Wright on the horizon, why strap themselves with a huge contract for a center that should be fighting for 2nd/3rd line by the time Montreal is ready to make a cup run?

This doesn’t take in account what it’ll cost to acquire him.  If Winnipeg knows they have a low chance at re-signing him, they are trading him before the deadline 2024.

2 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

With all of these rumours swirling around Dubois and Montreal now that he has told Winnipeg he plans to test free agency in 2024, why does anyone think Montreal is still chasing him?  I get it when the Laine trade happened, being thin at center, but now with Suzuki and Wright on the horizon, why strap themselves with a huge contract for a center that should be fighting for 2nd/3rd line by the time Montreal is ready to make a cup run?

I tend to agree with you. It's because Dubois is French, big, a center with talent that these rumours swirl and apparently he wants to play in Montreal. I totally get the fascination with Dubois but as you say he will need a big contract in 2 years. I would prefer to build through the draft but I have little doubt that Hughes will check to see what the asking price is and you don't make that trade without Dubois agreeing to a long term extension. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I tend to agree with you. It's because Dubois is French, big, a center with talent that these rumours swirl and apparently he wants to play in Montreal. I totally get the fascination with Dubois but as you say he will need a big contract in 2 years. I would prefer to build through the draft but I have little doubt that Hughes will check to see what the asking price is and you don't make that trade without Dubois agreeing to a long term extension. 

Yeah. Unless he is willing to come to Montreal for a discount over what Suzuki is getting, I’d pass. We have an opportunity to draft a top centre. And are hopefully a couple of other key pieces this year. What I’d like to add is an elite dman, more than a a Dubois.

7 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

This doesn’t take in account what it’ll cost to acquire him.  If Winnipeg knows they have a low chance at re-signing him, they are trading him before the deadline 2024.

Vincent Lecavalier's role is to look at UFAs. I will be looking to see what he does in this area. I did like Dubois early in CBJ, but like Anderson, he has been hurt more often than not.

The Habs with Dubois and Anderson in their top-6 would jump ahead on "a restructuring" closer to the perennial bubble team of the 2010s, I do not thinks this is "THE restructuring" Hugh-Gort is planning.

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Vincent Lecavalier's role is to look at UFAs. I will be looking to see what he does in this area. I did like Dubois early in CBJ, but like Anderson, he has been hurt more often than not.

The Habs with Dubois and Anderson in their top-6 would jump ahead on "a restructuring" closer to the perennial bubble team of the 2010s, I do not thinks this is "THE restructuring" Hugh-Gort is planning.

Do we really need another center on the team? Once we draft Wright this year and Bedard next year😎(hopefully) we'll be set down the middle for years with Bedard, Wright and Suzuki.

KH said himself not going after top UFA's, which means full on rebuild. I would expect Petry 

Drouin 

Byron 

Dadonov

All will be traded by or at trade deadline

Gallagher

Hoffman  

Edmundson 

Savard 

Dvorak  

Will be traded in the next 2 years or so

Price if he can prove he can play a full week of hockey will be traded within the next 2 years also.

Anderson is still young and under a good contract i wouldn't trade him unless we get blown away by an offer.

Stay with the rebuild finally doing things right, don't try and fast track it. 

I dunno, that rumour makes some sense to me. The Habs need G, especially young D with upside, and DiPietro had a good junior career, although his development has stalled. It would be a classic “change of scenery” trade for a kid who was once a well-regarded prospect but whose career is not working out. Those trades seldom work, but sometimes they do. So if we can get him for modest return, it seems worth a try.

I do like that it shows Hugh-Gort are actively trying to strengthen the organization at G, anyway. The hole there is nearly as big as the hole at C has traditionally been, from what I can see.

Garrioch reports Canadiens GM Kent Hughes has reached out to the other nine teams in the top-10 about the price tag on acquiring one of their draft picks, and TFP’s David Pagnotta later reported Hughes is actively looking to make a draft-related move.

Surprised how leaky the Habs have become

Media has commented how that was a welcome change 

I am not sure it will benefit the Habs restructuring. Time will tell

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Surprised how leaky the Habs have become

Media has commented how that was a welcome change 

I am not sure it will benefit the Habs restructuring. Time will tell

It kind of feels like the Habs are using the media as part of their negotiating tactics. 

15 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It kind of feels like the Habs are using the media as part of their negotiating tactics. 

Maybe a bit of Gorton's style, like his open letter to Ranger fans (which i think went over well?) is showing?

I remember being struck by how much “leakier” Bergevin was than Gainey/Goat, early in his tenure. He seemed to clam up as time went on. (Gainey and Goat, meanwhile, seemed to regard shutting out the media as a point of pride or high principle, making the organization profoundly closed off and perhaps slightly paranoid).

The reason for a “cone of silence” policy would be to protect players from hearing rumours about themselves, which are upsetting, distracting, and can ultimately corrode the player’s loyalty to the organization. That is 100% defensible, although let’s be real - players know the score and their precious egos can probably survive a rumour or two. If I’m Hugh-Gort, I’m not happy that Anderson’s name is out there, but I’m also not ripping my hair out about it.

Other than that, I’m not sure what damage is done by leaks. What harm does it do if the media reports that the Habs are aggressively looking to move up with their #2 pick? Other GMs hear things through the internal grapevine, I doubt they’re relying on Sportsnet for secret tips on the doings of their rivals/colleagues.

As a matter of marketing, this is an era defined by simulacra of openness and authenticity. The Gainey model of a hermetically-sealed organization is a Baby Boomer model for Gen X times, like driving a 1970s-model Chrysler Grand Marquis while everyone else is in EVs.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Maybe a bit of Gorton's style, like his open letter to Ranger fans (which i think went over well?) is showing?

I agree that it is likely part of who Gorton is. I find it refreshing to have such openness. 

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I remember being struck by how much “leakier” Bergevin was than Gainey/Goat, early in his tenure. He seemed to clam up as time went on. (Gainey and Goat, meanwhile, seemed to regard shutting out the media as a point of pride or high principle, making the organization profoundly closed off and perhaps slightly paranoid).

The reason for a “cone of silence” policy would be to protect players from hearing rumours about themselves, which are upsetting, distracting, and can ultimately corrode the player’s loyalty to the organization. That is 100% defensible, although let’s be real - players know the score and their precious egos can probably survive a rumour or two. If I’m Hugh-Gort, I’m not happy that Anderson’s name is out there, but I’m also not ripping my hair out about it.

Other than that, I’m not sure what damage is done by leaks. What harm does it do if the media reports that the Habs are aggressively looking to move up with their #2 pick? Other GMs hear things through the internal grapevine, I doubt they’re relying on Sportsnet for secret tips on the doings of their rivals/colleagues.

As a matter of marketing, this is an era defined by simulacra of openness and authenticity. The Gainey model of a hermetically-sealed organization is a Baby Boomer model for Gen X times, like driving a 1970s-model Chrysler Grand Marquis while everyone else is in EVs.

It actually makes me wonder if there is more validity to the rumours now?

Rumours are rumours but is having Anderson’s name out there actually mean that he is being shopped because HuGo are more transparent or are they the same old pundit/fan produced rumours?

Would be a kick in the .... if your 28yr old 115 point guy, in Goudreau....simply walks and signs elsewhere.:popcorn:

Just business but would sting.

10 minutes ago, DON said:

Would be a kick in the .... if your 28yr old 115 point guy, in Goudreau....simply walks and signs elsewhere.:popcorn:

Just business but would sting.

It would sting for sure, but is he going to continue being that productive well into his 30s? I dunno but I have a feeling he won’t. Might be better to let him walk than have him be a boat anchor for the last four years of a massive contract.