Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It would sting for sure, but is he going to continue being that productive well into his 30s? I dunno but I have a feeling he won’t. Might be better to let him walk than have him be a boat anchor for the last four years of a massive contract.

Anybody who signs Gaudreau is buying high.  A very good player but very doubtful he can duplicate last year. 

Seeing more and more Montreal being linked to Dubois.  Crazy idea, since I’ve already stated PLD would be a silly pickup when drafting Wright.  What if Montreal is planning on drafting Slafkovsky and trading for Dubois?

2 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

What if Montreal is planning on drafting Slafkovsky and trading for Dubois?

That thought had crossed my mind. I am not against Dubois as there is a lot to like there, just turned 24, big strong power forward who would be a great addition up the middle. But I would only do that if;

1) he agreed to a long term extension ahead of time 7-8 years  at perhaps 7-8 million/year

2) the price was right, he won't be cheap nor should he be, Montreal will have to lose someone we don't want to lose or a lot of picks. He is an RFA so Winnipeg has to do something.

Having said the above, my preferred strategy would still be to build through the draft and if we have to suffer another year than so be it. 

Wright seems like a guy who would basically evolve into a PLD. If we can have that for free, then why surrender assets in order to get him, and also get him at a much higher cap hit, with a shorter career lifespan? 

The only logics would be that:

1. you actually intend to take a W in the draft, and therefore you still need a stud C; OR

2. a team-building vision involving three stud C down the middle (Wright, Suzuki, PLD). This sounds great but is not likely to be tenable in a cap system.

Rumours around PLD suggest to me that Hugh-Gort are exploring Option (1). Probably just a matter of due diligence. I certainly don’t believe that they’ll trade the pick for PLD.

27 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That thought had crossed my mind. I am not against Dubois as there is a lot to like there, just turned 24, big strong power forward who would be a great addition up the middle. But I would only do that if;

1) he agreed to a long term extension ahead of time 7-8 years  at perhaps 7-8 million/year

2) the price was right, he won't be cheap nor should he be, Montreal will have to lose someone we don't want to lose or a lot of picks. He is an RFA so Winnipeg has to do something.

Having said the above, my preferred strategy would still be to build through the draft and if we have to suffer another year than so be it. 

I would disagree with you on his value.  I do think a contract extension should be in place, but I don’t think it should be more than $6m-$7m at tops a year.  His offensive numbers don’t warrant anything more. Let be honest here, offensive number typically drive the contract value in most cases.  He’s not a stud defensively, 0.66 PPG never putting up more than 61 pts, only twice breaking 60 pts a season.  

As for cost to acquire, from all rumours from Winnipeg, they are being forced into a rebuild as their core players are rumoured to want out.  If this really is the case, then they would want prospects and picks.  Both of which I think we could package without giving up anything that breaks our rebuild.  It may be a good destination for Anderson as Winnipeg will get someone with term.

48 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wright seems like a guy who would basically evolve into a PLD. If we can have that for free, then why surrender assets in order to get him, and also get him at a much higher cap hit, with a shorter career lifespan? 

The only logics would be that:

1. you actually intend to take a W in the draft, and therefore you still need a stud C; OR

2. a team-building vision involving three stud C down the middle (Wright, Suzuki, PLD). This sounds great but is not likely to be tenable in a cap system.

Rumours around PLD suggest to me that Hugh-Gort are exploring Option (1). Probably just a matter of due diligence. I certainly don’t believe that they’ll trade the pick for PLD.

I think the logic here would be #1.  If you think Slafkovsky is going to be an absolute stud winger (you get him for free)  then you explore getting Dubois or defer until the draft next year to get your other center. 

35 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I would disagree with you on his value.  I do think a contract extension should be in place, but I don’t think it should be more than $6m-$7m at tops a year.  His offensive numbers don’t warrant anything more. Let be honest here, offensive number typically drive the contract value in most cases.  He’s not a stud defensively, 0.66 PPG never putting up more than 61 pts, only twice breaking 60 pts a season.  

As for cost to acquire, from all rumours from Winnipeg, they are being forced into a rebuild as their core players are rumoured to want out.  If this really is the case, then they would want prospects and picks.  Both of which I think we could package without giving up anything that breaks our rebuild.  It may be a good destination for Anderson as Winnipeg will get someone with term.

I think Winnipeg has a decision to make. It might be rebuild time there. They traded Copp, Wheeler and Statsny  are 35 and 36.  Scheifele seems unhappy. I just don't see them being a cup contender in the near future. Connor and Ehlers are great pieces. 

I agree that Winnipeg would want prospects/picks if they are doing a rebuild. Anderson would likely have to be part of the package to make the cap work for Montreal but if Winnipeg is doing a rebuild than they might not want Anderson. 

I don't think we are far off on Dubois value. To get him to give up a chunk of his free agent years then I think it will have to be 7-8. I think the cap will be going up as well.  Just my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Good for him ... former Blues player and A/Coach

31 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not a surprise but confirmation from PLD’s agent that he wants to be a Hab

There's the unspoken part that needs to be considered.  He wants to be a Hab...at the right price.  I don't think Dubois is signalling he's going to leave money on the table to come to Montreal.  He wants to be a Hab at $7+ million.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There's the unspoken part that needs to be considered.  He wants to be a Hab...at the right price.  I don't think Dubois is signalling he's going to leave money on the table to come to Montreal.  He wants to be a Hab at $7+ million.

Hes a 7 million dollar player though easily... more so in 2 years

10 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Hes a 7 million dollar player though easily... more so in 2 years

But will Montreal have that type of money to sign him at that time?  And if Dach pans out as well as they hoped and turns into a legit 2C, will they have a need for him?  I wouldn't start penciling him into the 2024-25 lineup just yet.

56 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

A lot can change in two years. Both for PLD and us.

This claim that he would like to be a Hab is borderline meaningless at this stage.

Agreed, 2 years is a long time, landscape could be totally different, PLD could feel completely different in a couple years. 

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

but we will hear more details whenever this happens, right ?! 🤪

Yes, Im sure he will discuss the moves he makes after he makes them as hes done with every major move.  Weird criticism when this management team is far more transparent than the last one.

They didnt do anything yesterday.  What is there to discuss.  Do you want a press conference on three guys signed for Laval?

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yes, Im sure he will discuss the moves he makes after he makes them as hes done with every major move.  Weird criticism when this management team is far more transparent than the last one.

They didnt do anything yesterday.  What is there to discuss.  Do you want a press conference on three guys signed for Laval?

Yes damn it. We need to know their plan, and what they tried to do and will do, who is staying who is going. We also need to know NOW  if  Price is going to play, retire, or go on LTIR, and who will replace him if in SEPTEMBER, it’s determined that he can’t play🙄

we need to be more like the Flames promising on Saturday that they will do whatever they can to sign Gaudreau, and they are confident that they can get it done, and then on Tuesday have another press conference, saying he won’t be back, but it wasn’t from a lack of trying. 

14 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yes damn it. We need to know their plan, and what they tried to do and will do, who is staying who is going. We also need to know NOW  if  Price is going to play, retire, or go on LTIR, and who will replace him if in SEPTEMBER, it’s determined that he can’t play🙄

we need to be more like the Flames promising on Saturday that they will do whatever they can to sign Gaudreau, and they are confident that they can get it done, and then on Tuesday have another press conference, saying he won’t be back, but it wasn’t from a lack of trying. 

How are Flames fans dealing with this, anyway? Like I said earlier, Gaudreau basically paid $16 million NOT to be a Flame. Dat's gotta hoit.

Does this vault Calgary to first place in the JT Miller sweepstakes? What the hell is the plan there?

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

TVA reporter was complaining that it was the first time a Habs GM didn’t have a press conference the day of free agency. When I saw Engels tweet I figured more media were puzzled and that it may be a valid concern

to be honest, I don’t really care at this point. Habs have become just another team. Feels like cheering for an NFL team we’re players come from anywhere and the staff comes from anywhere … and there is not much I can identify with.