Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

51 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yes damn it. We need to know their plan, and what they tried to do and will do, who is staying who is going. We also need to know NOW  if  Price is going to play, retire, or go on LTIR, and who will replace him if in SEPTEMBER, it’s determined that he can’t play🙄 ...

Right on ... who did he offer contracts ... for how much and what term?  ... what specific trades did he propose and/or turn down ... how much is he willing to give up to get rid of each problematic contract ... without that information how are we supposed to make informed comments about his performance?

Just in case anyone is wondering

:sarcasm_on:

41 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

TVA reporter was complaining that it was the first time a Habs GM didn’t have a press conference the day of free agency. When I saw Engels tweet I figured more media were puzzled and that it may be a valid concern

to be honest, I don’t really care at this point. Habs have become just another team. Feels like cheering for an NFL team we’re players come from anywhere and the staff comes from anywhere … and there is not much I can identify with. 

I have no problem with a team declining to hold a press conference when it has nothing significant to announce.

On your second paragraph, I'm not sure what to make of that. You had a strong emotional attachment to Bergevin and DD, or something? 

You've still got Gally, Price, Petry, and a few other dudes hanging around from the old core.

For my part, I'm attached to the CH. Players, coaches, managers - all are ultimately disposable. It's building a winning organization that counts. Hell, even the greatest players retire eventually. If I felt that starting a rebuild instantly relegates you to the status of "just another team" I would have abandoned the Habs around 1996.

• Like 2

They are not signing anyone until we can unload some contracts. If Slafkovsky plays his caphit at seasons end will top 3M bacause of bonuses. We still need to sign Dach as well. We dont have caproom to sign even a minimum contract at the moment.

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I have no problem with a team declining to hold a press conference when it has nothing significant to announce.

On your second paragraph, I'm not sure what to make of that. You had a strong emotional attachment to Bergevin and DD, or something? 

You've still got Gally, Price, Petry, and a few other dudes hanging around from the old core.

For my part, I'm attached to the CH. Players, coaches, managers - all are ultimately disposable. It's building a winning organization that counts. Hell, even the greatest players retire eventually. If I felt that starting a rebuild instantly relegates you to the status of "just another team" I would have abandoned the Habs around 1996.

Agree with all your points.  

Obviously Hughes tried to make some moves but wasn't successful. He doesn't need to provide details of who his dance partners were although the media is always looking for a story. 

I am also attached to the CH.  No player, coach or manager will take that away from me.  

I still have full confidence in Hughes to get the job done. It's going to take some patience. 

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

second paragraph is not about MB and DD or the old core. It's about what I am guessing the new direction is... like building a CFL team with some token "local" players.

It is what it is, and it is still the team I follow in the NHL, but doesn't feel like "my" team anymore. Like you say, players and staff are disposable where before I liked caring about them.

Does that make me a disposable fan too?

21 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

second paragraph is not about MB and DD or the old core. It's about what I am guessing the new direction is... like building a CFL team with some token "local" players.

It is what it is, and it is still the team I follow in the NHL, but doesn't feel like "my" team anymore. Like you say, players and staff are disposable where before I liked caring about them.

I still don't get it. Local players? Who gives a sh*t? This is the big leagues, not the Garbage Bowl. 

If the new direction is well-conceived, then it will be about drafting and developing the best possible hockey team. Period. That's how you win Stanley Cups, not by giving ice time to Joe Blow from the Old Neighbourhood.

Meanwhile, the Habs remain the only organization in the league that has hamstrung itself to language policies which basically guarantee that a huge chunk of management will indeed be local. You have a West Island boy as GM. A Quebecer as head coach. Other local yokels in management. I guess that's not enough? You want affirmative action on the ice as well?

I can see your point to this extent: the roster has an unusual number of players whose future with the club is murky. Nearly every guy could conceivably be gone within three years. Still, if you want players to care about, you have Suzuki, Caufield, and Slaf, all of whom are likely to be core players for years to come. You also have a bunch of prospects coming up to get excited about.

So again, I'm just not getting it.

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Hughes mentioned that Price had an injection treatment and that part of the process is waiting for the shot to have its intended effect before going back to full-out training.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Hughes mentioned that Price had an injection treatment and that part of the process is waiting for the shot to have its intended effect before going back to full-out training.

On-ice training, wear and tear test on knee needed 1st, as Hughes hinted to. 

Gallagher, also am curious if he is pretty much "done" as a top six winger, or just had a bad year?

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How are Flames fans dealing with this, anyway? Like I said earlier, Gaudreau basically paid $16 million NOT to be a Flame. Dat's gotta hoit.

Does this vault Calgary to first place in the JT Miller sweepstakes? What the hell is the plan there?

I’ve got some friends that are VERY upset, and some thinking they dodged a bullet. I’m loving it personally, given the grief they’ve given me about the habs. It’s funny listening to the radio talking heads on the way in to work. Bigger worry is over what it means for resigning Tkachuck. If Ottawa wasn’t in our division I’d want him to pull a Gaudreau and sign to play with his brother next summer.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah. My attachment is to the players, coaches, and GM’s that are part of the Habs great history - not the sorry bunch we have had for the past 25 years or so. tThe only player that has even close to the statutes as those greats is Price a- and I wish there was a way we could unload his salary. Quite honestly, the only roster players from the 2020-2021 roster I still want here next year are Caufield and Suzuki.

47 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree with all your points.  

Obviously Hughes tried to make some moves but wasn't successful. He doesn't need to provide details of who his dance partners were although the media is always looking for a story. 

I am also attached to the CH.  No player, coach or manager will take that away from me.  

I still have full confidence in Hughes to get the job done. It's going to take some patience. 

Yeah, the only move I haven’t liked so far is Dach - would have preferred taking Nazar or Kemell, but hope that Dach does become the first of four #3 overall picks to finally be a success for us.

i do hope we don’t do anything rash to try and get into thr playoffs this year, and are still part of the Bedard lottery next year. So yeah, patience is needed.

29 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’ve got some friends that are VERY upset, and some thinking they dodged a bullet. I’m loving it personally, given the grief they’ve given me about the habs. It’s funny listening to the radio talking heads on the way in to work. Bigger worry is over what it means for resigning Tkachuck. If Ottawa wasn’t in our division I’d want him to pull a Gaudreau and sign to play with his brother next summer.

Seems to me Calgary has to decide whether to tear it down or keep gunning for a championship. If the latter, then they need to replace Johnny Hockey. Living in Vancouver as I do, JT Miller seems like the obvious candidate for this, but who knows, other options may be out there...

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Players and staff come and go, has always been that way, will always be that way. Sometimes pieces need to be replaced like the parts on your vehicle when they wear out.  You just hope the pieces are treated with care and respect while they are there and sometimes old pieces can help the organization in other capacities. 

BUT the CH is not replaceable and will always be there. 

You can choose to be a disposable fan if you want, I choose not to be. 

There is a rebuild going on and it's about time. That is the direction. 

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Seems to me Calgary has to decide whether to tear it down or keep gunning for a championship. If the latter, then they need to replace Johnny Hockey. Living in Vancouver as I do, JT Miller seems like the obvious candidate for this, but who knows, other options may be out there...

They need to be in on Kadri if they want to keep going for it.

23 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Have the Flames now become a destination for Anderson?

I think I missed something somewhere.

Did I not hear that Montreal had made a trade last Friday but couldn't announce it...Renaud Lavoie?? Is that accurate and has anything been announced? 

1 minute ago, REV-G said:

Did I not hear that Montreal had made a trade last Friday but couldn't announce it...Renaud Lavoie?? Is that accurate and has anything been announced? 

Nothing announced ... could be Lavoie trying to be relevant or could true but still be awaiting some domino.

2 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Thats what Lavoie said, 

That said, if its a deal contingent on the Habs making another deal to clear cap space, it doesn't look like the cap space has been cleared. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Thats what Lavoie said, 

That said, if its a deal contingent on the Habs making another deal to clear cap space, it doesn't look like the cap space has been cleared. 

OR ... waiting on the other team to clear cap space to make room for the Hab.

Ok.  Maybe they've got a deal done but they have to wait for the Petry trade first. Could be interesting.

From what I've read, with the cancelled pressor, maybe they thought they had a done deal for him and somethings holding it up. 

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

to be honest, I don’t really care at this point. Habs have become just another team. Feels like cheering for an NFL team we’re players come from anywhere and the staff comes from anywhere … and there is not much I can identify with.

That's how things work with free agency -- it's not the 70s (or 50s!) any more.

It's another reason why I was disappointed to see Lehkonen go, but I really do think (most) fans want a winning team first and foremost, regardless of who the players are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, the only move I haven’t liked so far is Dach - would have preferred taking Nazar or Kemell, but hope that Dach does become the first of four #3 overall picks to finally be a success for us.

I expect that Hugo assessed that Dach's probability of becoming a 2C (or better) was higher than that of any available draft picks. Whether that turns into reality is something we will know in a few years (or more).

https://theathletic.com/3426785/2022/07/15/montreal-canadiens-winnipeg-jets-dubois-trade/

"Brisson has stirred the Dubois-to-Montreal pot in multiple media appearances this week in a clear attempt to catalyze trade talks between the Jets and Canadiens.

“Montreal is a city he would probably … I can talk about it because he doesn’t have a contract at the moment — he’s a restricted free agent,” Brisson told TVA Sports in French on Wednesday. “Montreal is a place, a city he’d like to play in. That’s all I can say about that.” "

27 minutes ago, DON said:

https://theathletic.com/3426785/2022/07/15/montreal-canadiens-winnipeg-jets-dubois-trade/

"Brisson has stirred the Dubois-to-Montreal pot in multiple media appearances this week in a clear attempt to catalyze trade talks between the Jets and Canadiens.

“Montreal is a city he would probably … I can talk about it because he doesn’t have a contract at the moment — he’s a restricted free agent,” Brisson told TVA Sports in French on Wednesday. “Montreal is a place, a city he’d like to play in. That’s all I can say about that.” "

If we can’t dump some cap on the Jets why bother? 

Sign him for free in two years