Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If we can’t dump some cap on the Jets why bother? 
Sign him for free in two years

Two years is a long-time ... PLD, or rather his agent, hasn't said he would only play for Montreal just that Montreal is a team he would like to play for ... if he were traded somewhere else that might also end up being a team he would like to play for.

As for dumping salary on the Jets ... that doesn't happen when trading FOR an asset ... you have to give away players (ala Pacs to Carolina) or give up assets to move a contract just for the purpose of losing cap hit ... but it doesn't mean that HuGo can't "dump" contracts to other teams to make cap space ... but unless Dach is part of a PLD trade, they have to make room to sign Dach and Montembeault ... of course moving actual assets (FOR EXAMPLE, Anderson, Dvorak - ***not*** a trade proposal) in a PLD trade could also make help cap space. 

32 minutes ago, DON said:

At the very least is encouraging a quality player and a french one at that, wants to play with the Habs.

Whether it happens or not, it is encouraging.

On 7/16/2022 at 11:40 AM, DON said:

At the very least is encouraging a quality player and a french one at that, wants to play with the Habs.

Yeah it's a bit of good press, but until a French star on the level of PLD or Huberdeau actually comes here of their own volition I'm not putting much stock in it.

With Huberdeau likely heading to free agency next year, do the Habs make a play to sign him for ~$10M? On the one hand, we hardly ever get the chance to add this kind of talent, on the other he'll be 30 and probably doesn't fit into our timeline for the rebuild.

1 minute ago, Neech said:

With Huberdeau likely heading to free agency next year, do the Habs make a play to sign him for ~$10M? On the one hand, we hardly ever get the chance to add this kind of talent, on the other he'll be 30 and probably doesn't fit into our timeline for the rebuild.

He will be 30 entering the 23/24 season ... much will depend on how the youngsters progress this season ... if the plan next summer is for 23/24 to be a playoff year (see below) then it definitely makes sense ... it also depends on term, AAV and, the great unknown, cap status next summer ... cap status in terms of the 23/34 cap ceiling, the projected cap growth and whether Price is an ongoing burden. 

playoff year: by this I do not mean whether or not the team is trying for a top 10 pick in 2024 but rather whether HuGo are making roster/cap decisions based on a goal to make the 23/24 playoffs or continuing to build longer-term.

Huberdeau? Absolutely not. We’d be saddling ourselves to a monster contract for a guy whose peak performance window will be a fraction of the contract’s lifespan. That’s a “win now” move.

If we’re talking hypotheticals, PLD in two years would make a lot more sense. Probably a lower cap hit and a younger player.

All of this assumes the Kirby Dach gamble won’t pay off. If Dach becomes the top-6 C he was originally projected to be, then we won’t need to sign any UFA C and can direct that cap space to other areas. I suspect D and G may be higher priorities.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Huberdeau? Absolutely not. We’d be saddling ourselves to a monster contract for a guy whose peak performance window will be a fraction of the contract’s lifespan. That’s a “win now” move.

If we’re talking hypotheticals, PLD in two years would make a lot more sense. Probably a lower cap hit and a younger player.

All of this assumes the Kirby Dach gamble won’t pay off. If Dach becomes the top-6 C he was originally projected to be, then we won’t need to sign any UFA C and can direct that cap space to other areas. I suspect D and G may be higher priorities.

I agree that if his cap hit is 10 million then you pass but if we can get both Huberdeau and PLD for reasonable contracts then hell yes. 

If things work out with Dach and Slaf and Guhle then perhaps we could be in a cup window 2024/2025 with the additions of PLD and Huberdeau. 

Add Bedard and we got a strong team

27 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I agree that if his cap hit is 10 million then you pass but if we can get both Huberdeau and PLD for reasonable contracts then hell yes. 

If things work out with Dach and Slaf and Guhle then perhaps we could be in a cup window 2024/2025 with the additions of PLD and Huberdeau. 

Add Bedard and we got a strong team

Huberdeau is a high-end elite player who will be UFA. By definition you are not getting him for a reasonable contract. PLD will also be a big hit, but likely less.

We’re also not getting Bédard.

I suggest you adjust your expectations: Suzuki and Dach or MAYBE PLD in two years will be the Habs down the middle. No Bédard. Slaf and Caufield will be our impact W. Maybe we’ll add another blue-chip kid in the draft next year.

As I note above, hopefully Dach pans out and we can target an elite d-man - or (less likely) goalie - on the UFA market instead. 

54 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree with your points. That's a move you make when you are looking for the final piece to make you a legitimate Stanley Cup contender and you have lots of cap room.  Continue with the rebuild. 

I feel we were never as bad as our record indicated LY to get the #1. We got lucky in that sense with everyone having terrible seasons plus all the injuries etc. 

The real key to next season will be on D and goaltending. Will a combination of Matheson, Harris, Guhle, Barron and Norlinder  have any impact immediately at the NHL level to replace the hole left by Petry, Weber Chairot and Romanov. The other question would obviously be goaltending which is self explanatory. Agaiin alot of What ifs and expectation on kids making impact but even so this team will not be Conor Bedard terrible and we should stop thinking such unless we seriously dismantle the veteran core. There is to  many young kids already in the lineup wanting to prove their worth as well as vets trying to prove they are still relevant.

17 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I feel we were never as bad as our record indicated LY to get the #1. We got lucky in that sense with everyone having terrible seasons plus all the injuries etc. 

The real key to next season will be on D and goaltending. Will a combination of Matheson, Harris, Guhle, Barron and Norlinder  have any impact immediately at the NHL level to replace the hole left by Petry, Weber Chairot and Romanov. The other question would obviously be goaltending which is self explanatory. Agaiin alot of What ifs and expectation on kids making impact but even so this team will not be Conor Bedard terrible and we should stop thinking such unless we seriously dismantle the veteran core. There is to  many young kids already in the lineup wanting to prove their worth as well as vets trying to prove they are still relevant.

I wouldn't include Matheson with the youngsters ... IMO it is a given that Edmundson, Matheson, Savard and Wideman are (at the moment) filling four of the six slots (barring injury) ... Guhle, Harris, Baron and Norlinder will vie for the two other spots with Scheuneman as the 6/7 D depending on how the youngsters perform.

The good news is that if Dadonov, Byron, Allen, Drouin and maybe even Hoffman play well enough to help take the Habs out of strong contention (IMO bottom 3-5 teams) for the first overall pick they should be VERY tradeable as the deadline approaches and their departures help drop the team closer to contention.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Huberdeau is a high-end elite player who will be UFA. By definition you are not getting him for a reasonable contract. PLD will also be a big hit, but likely less.

We’re also not getting Bédard.

I suggest you adjust your expectations: Suzuki and Dach or MAYBE PLD in two years will be the Habs down the middle. No Bédard. Slaf and Caufield will be our impact W. Maybe we’ll add another blue-chip kid in the draft next year.

As I note above, hopefully Dach pans out and we can target an elite d-man - or (less likely) goalie - on the UFA market instead. 

I also have hope that one of (in order of likelihood), Kidney, Beck, Mysak, Farrell (I put him here cause i see him more likely as a wing), Kapanen or Simoneau can be a third line centre or better. 

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I wouldn't include Matheson with the youngsters ... IMO it is a given that Edmundson, Matheson, Savard and Wideman are (at the moment) filling four of the six slots (barring injury) ... Guhle, Harris, Baron and Norlinder will vie for the two other spots with Scheuneman as the 6/7 D depending on how the youngsters perform.

The good news is that if Dadonov, Byron, Allen, Drouin and maybe even Hoffman play well enough to help take the Habs out of strong contention (IMO bottom 3-5 teams) for the first overall pick they should be VERY tradeable as the deadline approaches and their departures help drop the team closer to contention.

Why not? Matheson was a direct replacement for Petry... I didn't include Scheuneman because he played a third of the season and was around the team for half but i probably should of grouped him in as well. The point was that's the group that will replace the minutes of Petry weber chiarot and Romanov as it stands...

The sidebar stories that both PLD and Huberdeau want to play for Montreal is quite interesting. I can’t remember the last time we heard that from Quebec stars. Can it be that Montreal has quietly restored its image as a highly desirable place to play?

I’m betting the trip to the Finals helped a lot, even if the team bottomed out the year after. There’s nothing like a four-round run to burnish a franchise’s rep. It also established Suzuki and CC as high-profile youngsters, creating the image of a team with a future (even though it’s not iron-clad that we have the critical mass of prospects to contend in 3-4 years, what matters is the image, not the reality).

Also, we’ve had a wave of high-profile players going back over a decade - Subban, Gally, Patches, Kovalev, Petry - all of whom were pretty vocal about how great Montreal is. Even if a couple of them (Patches, Petry) left under awkward circumstances, word of mouth has maybe gotten around.

On a much shorter-term note, MSL seems to have a ton of cache among players as well. Surprisingly so for an unproven rookie coach. Maybe word got out quickly about him too.

Anyway, I may be making a mountain out of a molehill, but this seems to mark a significant and uplifting shift in the discourse around Montreal as a hockey market from where we were, say, 10 years ago. 👍

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Why not? Matheson was a direct replacement for Petry... I didn't include Scheuneman because he played a third of the season and was around the team for half but i probably should of grouped him in as well. The point was that's the group that will replace the minutes of Petry weber chiarot and Romanov as it stands...

I took your phrasing as meaning that Matheson was the same unknown that Guhle, Harris, Baron and Norlinder represent ... Matheson is an established NHL defenceman ... I don't know that he can match the very best of Petry but I absolutely think he can replace the contributions of one of 21/22 Petry, or Romanov or Chiarot ... I don't factor Weber as part of the equation as he was gone all last season and only the most hopeful (IMO) expected him to ever return ... the youngsters may or may not be in the NHL full-time this coming season and so I consider them in a very different manner than Matheson in terms of filling, pending any trade, the other two "empty" spots ... and considering how poorly the defence played last season I am not certain that it will be all that worse. 

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I wouldnt say Wideman is a guarantee to be a top six all season.  He very well could be the 6/7 with Schueneman in the AHL and all three of Barron Harris and Guhle on the team (rotating)

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The sidebar stories that both PLD and Huberdeau want to play for Montreal is quite interesting. I can’t remember the last time we heard that from Quebec stars. Can it be that Montreal has quietly restored its image as a highly desirable place to play?

I’m betting the trip to the Finals helped a lot, even if the team bottomed out the year after. There’s nothing like a four-round run to burnish a franchise’s rep. It also established Suzuki and CC as high-profile youngsters, creating the image of a team with a future (even though it’s not iron-clad that we have the critical mass of prospects to contend in 3-4 years, what matters is the image, not the reality).

Also, we’ve had a wave of high-profile players going back over a decade - Subban, Gally, Patches, Kovalev, Petry - all of whom were pretty vocal about how great Montreal is. Even if a couple of them (Patches, Petry) left under awkward circumstances, word of mouth has maybe gotten around.

On a much shorter-term note, MSL seems to have a ton of cache among players as well. Surprisingly so for an unproven rookie coach. Maybe word got out quickly about him too.

Anyway, I may be making a mountain out of a molehill, but this seems to mark a significant and uplifting shift in the discourse around Montreal as a hockey market from where we were, say, 10 years ago. 👍

Dont underestimate the fact that St. Louis was one of the best players in the NHL and a hero to these guys when they were pre-teens/teens

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

Dont underestimate the fact that St. Louis was one of the best players in the NHL and a hero to these guys when they were pre-teens/teens

Agreed ... combine that with his quickly establishing a reputation for wanting offensive players to express their talent and he is a draw ... and not necessarily only for "local players" ... it will be interesting to watch how MSL evolves as a coach this season. 

13 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I took your phrasing as meaning that Matheson was the same unknown that Guhle, Harris, Baron and Norlinder represent ... Matheson is an established NHL defenceman ... I don't know that he can match the very best of Petry but I absolutely think he can replace the contributions of one of 21/22 Petry, or Romanov or Chiarot ... I don't factor Weber as part of the equation as he was gone all last season and only the most hopeful (IMO) expected him to ever return ... the youngsters may or may not be in the NHL full-time this coming season and so I consider them in a very different manner than Matheson in terms of filling, pending any trade, the other two "empty" spots ... and considering how poorly the defence played last season I am not certain that it will be all that worse. 

We failed to replace Weber LY and that hole still remains.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

We failed to replace Weber LY and that hole still remains.

And for THIS season I am fine with that.

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

And for THIS season I am fine with that.

Getting rid of Petry also doubles down on that hole at #1/2 right side.

Savard is it now.

Whicb will suck to be a Hab goalie but, like you say fine for now. 

Maybe Maillioux will light up the OHL this year and be a bit bigger RH Guhle in couple years.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Getting rid of Petry also doubles down on that hole at #1/2 right side.

Savard is it now.

Whicb will suck to be a Hab goalie but, like you say fine for now. 

Maybe Maillioux will light up the OHL this year and be a bit bigger RH Guhle in couple years.

Given the flood of information about how normalized rape culture is in junior hockey, the decision to work with Mailloux - and maybe even to draft him - rather than throw him on the scrap heap looks wiser ever day. He was clearly a symptom of a wider pathology rather than an outlier, and for the Habs to throw him overboard would be for us to discard a potentially important asset, while our competitors cheerfully nurture and bring along young players whose misogyny is as bad as his, or worse. 🤮

What I’ve read about Mailloux in pure hockey terms suggests a guy with a Souray-like shot, a massive frame, and good mobility: a young D-man to be excited about. Hence he would have been drafted *much* higher if not for his scandal. The only question is how his lost year and fully-deserved public humiliation have affected his development. They’ll make him a much better human being, surely. But who knows how they will affect him as a hockey player.

• Like 2