Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Given the flood of information about how normalized rape culture is in junior hockey, the decision to work with Mailloux - and maybe even to draft him - rather than throw him on the scrap heap looks wiser ever day. He was clearly a symptom of a wider pathology rather than an outlier, and for the Habs to throw him overboard would be for us to discard a potentially important asset, while our competitors cheerfully nurture and bring along young players whose misogyny is as bad as his, or worse. 🤮

What I’ve read about Mailloux in pure hockey terms suggests a guy with a Souray-like shot, a massive frame, and good mobility: a young D-man to be excited about. Hence he would have been drafted *much* higher if not for his scandal. The only question is how his lost year and fully-deserved public humiliation have affected his development. They’ll make him a much better human being, surely. But who knows how they will affect him as a hockey player.

thank you

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The only question is how his lost year and fully-deserved public humiliation have affected his development. They’ll make him a much better human being, surely. But who knows how they will affect him as a hockey player.

This is a really good question. What will fans and media focus on? Will he be so in his own head with guilt and shame, that he won't be able to perform either way? Will he be a leader figure that owns it and combined with the canadiens handling of the situation, help with bringing about change to this toxic and harmful culture? 

18 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

This is a really good question. What will fans and media focus on? Will he be so in his own head with guilt and shame, that he won't be able to perform either way? Will he be a leader figure that owns it and combined with the canadiens handling of the situation, help with bringing about change to this toxic and harmful culture? 

If he has a great year in the OHL, i think his play will be discussed by HabFans more and his crime less so. But, we can all hope, it should at least give other high school kids or young elite athletes something to consider before doing similar.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

I keep seeing Puljujarvi’s name being linked to us. My only question is why would we be looking at this guy.

EDM wants to move him for good reason.

Puljujarvis for Gallagher sounds good to me. 

But this rumour is BS I think as Habs have no interest in that player

8 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

I keep seeing Puljujarvi’s name being linked to us. My only question is why would we be looking at this guy.

Edmonton wants to move him for cap reasons.  Earlier the off-season they said they had a choice between Yamamoto and Puljujarvi due to cap reasons.  Yamamoto had a better year and they believe in him more.  Around the draft the reported expected return for Puljujarvi was a 2nd round pick.  Not bad for 36pts in 65 games, fourth year in the league.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Puljujarvis for Gallagher sounds good to me. 

But this rumour is BS I think as Habs have no interest in that player

He’s a winger with decent size that has shown more of an ability to produce than Dach.  I think if it’s still a 2nd round pick as the return, Habs should jump on it.  

The problem with your trade is the same as just Puljujarvi for a 2nd.  Neither team can afford it as both are currently at or over the cap, both teams requiring to be creative with their cap space to be compliant for opening day.  I’m pretty sure the Oilers have to make a trade to be cap compliant, which is why Puljujarvi or Barrie is the most likely to be traded.

11 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

The main one linking him to Montreal isn't exactly known for his accuracy (or even logic).  Yesterday, one of his supposed sources mentioned that Arizona is interested in trading for Jake Allen.  This, despite showing no interest at all in any of the free agent goalies.  No, they'd rather trade assets for Allen than sign a guy for free.  That makes perfect sense for a tanking team with no intention of trying to win next season.  Oh, wait, it makes zero sense which is in line with quite a few of his other reports.  Keep that in mind when considering it's him primarily linking Puljujarvi to the Habs.

If Montreal was to trade someone like Armia and not take money back, could they have interest in Puljujarvi?  Maybe, although in that situation, I think they'd rather just open a spot for a youngster or look at signing someone a month from now when the value contracts really start than take on $3 million on a player who won't play in their top six.  This is another one of those rumours that doesn't make a ton of sense on the surface.

48 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

... This is another one of those rumours that doesn't make a ton of sense on the surface.

Or beneath the surface.

EKLUND WARNING:

Big Rumor. Vegas wants to be kept up to date on Carey Price.
This just in ... The owner of the Vegas Golden Knights usually gets what he wants ... seee Jack Eichel ... Well now I am being told he wants Carey Price, and the wheels may be in motion...My source was clear that Vegas Knights want Montreal to keep them in mind...more to come

I admit to monitoring Eklund for entertainment purposes, not valid rumours ... like the National Enquirer,  OCCASIONALLY both actually break legit stories (e.g., OJ's Magli shoes, Tiger's affairs), but not often enough to be taken seriously.

THAT said ... the GKs supposed "interest" almost seems plausible because of McFee/McCrimmon/Foley's seeming predilection for acquiring "big name" players ... even via in-season trades ... the rumour is their interest, not an actual trade.

8 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

My assumption would be if Price doesn’t play again so they can use him for LTIR?

LTIR doesn't provide any value ... for example, with or without Price on LTIR the Knights could still only have up to $82.M of AAV "on the ice".

On the other hand, Vegas will already be into LTIR with Weber so it wouldn't make their situation any worse.

That said, even if they are interested, I don't know how to evaluate this kind of trade, where Price may have some real value if he's healthy -- and then basically none if the injuries are career-ending.

Reading a lot of stories about Jake Allen and Vegas. Seems illogical imo for both sides.

There has to be a more reliable option for Vegas than a sub par starter with extensive injury history. They honestly can't want a guy who is injured as frequently as Allen.

Then for Montreal... I'm just assuming Price is basically done and they want Primeau to get AHL starts. So Allen-Monty tandem is it. Unless we get like Huchinson back and feel like rolling Monty-Huch for the tank.

• Like 1

I’m not sure Price going to Vegas makes any sense other than LTIR.  A healthy Price doesn’t work financially for Vegas, even retaining 50% on Price’s contract in the trade.  

This doesn’t even account for the cost of retaining that much salary in terms of assets going the other way or the question mark on the level of play Price would be able to achieve and/or sustain.

I know it’s Eklund, and it’s something to talk about when there isn’t much going on, but there’s too many red flags with the idea.

15 minutes ago, DON said:

T'would be interesting to see if Monahan could be resurrected ... but that would mean (absent a 3rd team in between CAL-MTL retaining some salary, or some sort of LTIR usage) moving out $6,126,666 of AAV ... plus whatever cap space will be needed to sign Dach.

EDIT:

Friedman seems more certain it is happening

1 minute ago, zumpano21 said:

We just did a huge favour to Calgary. What did we get for it? 

Early RUMOUR is a first rounder ... but not from anywhere I would depend on

With this move, Habs are roughly $5.9m over the cap with Dach still to sign.  One of 2 scenarios are about to happen.  Either Price is going on LTIR for the entire season, and there are probably LTIR complications that I’m unaware of, or the Habs are trading at least two roster players.  Dach is likely to get $2m-$3m so the Habs need to afford nearly $8m in cap space.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Would it be safe to assume Monhan will be playing on the Habs this season, making a Dvorak trade a certainty now?  Without considering The Habs now have to shed 2 contracts or Price.

Monahan is starting the season on LTIR after hip surgery (his second in two years, he's had both sides surgically repaired). 

Don't expect him before Christmas, meaning there is no rush to clear cap to make this trade. 

• Upvote 1