Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Sure, is a gimmick and makes NHL $$, which is fine, I just think some 3rd jerseys of some teams just garbage.

Like Bruin puke-yellow ones, boring black ones many teams role out, spastic causing barberpole ones...ugggggg.

But, all team sports seem to do it, seems a $$ maker, so aint ever going away

52 minutes ago, DON said:

Sure, is a gimmick and makes NHL $$, which is fine, I just think some 3rd jerseys of some teams just garbage.

Like Bruin puke-yellow ones, boring black ones many teams role out, spastic causing barberpole ones...ugggggg.

But, all team sports seem to do it, seems a $$ maker, so aint ever going away

So all that really counts is that the Habs at least do it well.

• Upvote 2

Sounds like earlier in the off-season Klingberg was set to sign with the Canadiens so they could trade him to the Oilers to retain salary.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2022/08/nhl-rumors-canadiens-oilers-were.html?fbclid=IwAR0IjBItpyNgK8unmkI-9X4bo3-VQmH9zfCw_dVBiUEplIuVLTuePDLPjJA&m=1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

This wouldn't surprise me at all especially if Hughes thinks that Carey's career is over. 

Allen  is not and should not

he considered the answer though. Not sure if he is even durable enough to be considered even a backup anymore.

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

he considered the answer though. Not sure if he is even durable enough to be considered even a backup anymore.

I don't consider Allen to be the final answer but he can be a great mentor for the upcoming goalies they are developing. If the term and dollars are right then I have no issue with an extension for Allen. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He's not the long term answer for sure but as a likable low ego vet to help young goalies transition to be starter? Sure.

It's hard to imagine he will get overpaid.

Plus if the contracts too long... he goes on waivers and mediocre goalies are always getting claimed.

Just read a report the Rangers have had an offer for Lundkivst of a 2nd round pick since the trade request made.  The story also said the second round pick was a high second round pick from a team that finished near the bottom of the league last year.

It doesn’t even hint it could be Montreal, but Montreal fits the criteria.

A late second round pick won’t cut it, but one in the early going of the 2023 draft seems fair. Something along the lines of 33-45. Remember, Lundkvist was selected 28th overall (late first-round) and is demanding a trade.

Another option is to trade for a similar prospect that will fill a hole. Which brings me back to the Canadiens. Their current VP of Hockey Ops, Jeff Gorton drafted Lundkvist when he was with the Rangers.

Montreal could swap prospect Jan Mysak, who was a second round selection and help the Rangers center depth.

Mysak, 20, recently signed his ELC and could be a great fit for the Rangers future. Last year in the OHL, he recorded 64 points in 61 games for the Hamilton Bulldogs. He’s expected to play for the Habs AHL team in Laval this upcoming season.

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/rangers-offer-nils-lundkvist-on-table/

• 2 weeks later...

Renaud Lavoie of TVA is reporting Edmundson is getting some trade interest and that there are some pretty attractive offers.  Also saying the chances of him being traded right now is slim to none until the trade deadline.

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/09/12/nhl-trade-report-teams-calling-canadiens-about-edmundson/

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Renaud Lavoie of TVA is reporting Edmundson is getting some trade interest and that there are some pretty attractive offers.  Also saying the chances of him being traded right now is slim to none until the trade deadline.

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/09/12/nhl-trade-report-teams-calling-canadiens-about-edmundson/

At the deadline, if the "right" team offered their 2023 first and a high to top prospect it would be tempting ... by "right" I mean a team chasing the final playoff spot in their Conference that HuGo feels are at best 50/50 to make the playoffs even with Joel ... that would give the Habs a decent shot at a/another/🤞🙏a-3rd lottery pick.

what could have been, what it is and what still may be...

Habs could have traded for Lundkvist

Habs didn't trade for Lundkvist

Habs may still trade for an NHL-level RD

28 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

what could have been, what it is and what still may be...

Habs could have traded for Lundkvist

Habs didn't trade for Lundkvist

Habs may still trade for an NHL-level RD

Sure - if they were willing to overpay and potentially trade a lottery pick 🙄

No way I’d give up a number 1 when we can have lottery picks for the next two years still. Dallas has a good chance at being a playoff team - they can afford to give up a first.

26 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

That could be a massive overpayment for a guy who couldn’t secure a full time NHL job in New York.  He will have to turn into a good top-4 guy to make that trade look as bad as it does for Dallas.  

Only time will tell; but seems fine to me for a team with zero good RH d-man, bit of overpayment but dont think massive, but just my impression.

https://dobberhockey.com/2022/09/19/fantasy-impact-dallas-stars-acquire-nils-lundkvist/

The Rangers get: a better pick (likely) than the one that was used to draft Lundkvist in the first place (28th overall in 2018), plus an additional pick in the middle round. Pretty good asset management, when looked at it from that standpoint.

The Stars get: a right-shot prospect defenseman who just one year ago was widely considered as one of the two or three highest upside defensemen outside of the NHL. While Lundkvist struggled a little acclimating to North America, keep in mind that he was a stranger in a strange land. With a year of experience under his belt acclimating to the language, the culture and the bigger rinks, the 22-year-old is better equipped to handle the 2022-23 season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Sure - if they were willing to overpay and potentially trade a lottery pick 🙄

No way I’d give up a number 1 when we can have lottery picks for the next two years still. Dallas has a good chance at being a playoff team - they can afford to give up a first.

Agreed, a potential lottery pick is way too high a price to pay,  I am sure Hughes checked the asking price on this one and it was too high for his liking.  Glad he passed, obviously Nill wanted him a lot more. 

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... obviously Nill wanted him a lot more. 

They have playoff aspirations, lost Klingberg in the off-season and from some quick Googling for Stars prospects don't seem to have many defencemen knocking at the door ... and none that I saw are right-handed (which isn't to say some like Jordan Harris may not normally play on the right-side despite being LHD) ... so I can see Lundkvist's value being higher to them.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

They have playoff aspirations, lost Klingberg in the off-season and from some quick Googling for Stars prospects don't seem to have many defencemen knocking at the door ... and none that I saw are right-handed (which isn't to say some like Jordan Harris may not normally play on the right-side despite being LHD) ... so I can see Lundkvist's value being higher to them.

Agree, Nill definitely placed a higher value on Lundkvist than Hughes did and it may work out for the Stars as they are in a different spot than the Habs.   I am sure the Rangers are very happy with the return they got. 

9 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Habs could have given the FLA 1st round pick they have and a 4th round pick or Mysak or even Norlinder instead of Mysak

That would have been ok by me

I would not have given Florida's 1st round pick especially given that it is unprotected. Who knows what kind of year Florida might have, they look very thin on defense. 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I would not have given Florida's 1st round pick especially given that it is unprotected. Who knows what kind of year Florida might have, they look very thin on defense. 

Habs need a RD