Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

22 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I would not have given Florida's 1st round pick especially given that it is unprotected. Who knows what kind of year Florida might have, they look very thin on defense. 

Agreed ... if the Panthers miss the playoffs and finish 12-17th worst, their pick is POTENTIALLY Top 10 (at best 7th) and if they REALLY miss the playoffs and finish 11th worse or lower their pick has a shot at #1 overall (wonder if the habs picking first with Florida's pick would get Zito fired?).

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Habs need a RD

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Habs need a few things but giving up an unprotected first for a team in rebuild mode is not the way to go in my opinion. 

They do need to fill out the right side in the long term, but have Barron, Harris and Mailloux in the pipeline, as well as a couple of 2021 Russian draftees (Dmitri Kostenko and Daniil Sobolev) ... they can likely find a serviceable "body" for this season by trade or waivers, so I am glad they didn't over-prioritize the need.

35 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... if the Panthers miss the playoffs and finish 12-17th worst, their pick is POTENTIALLY Top 10 (at best 7th) and if they REALLY miss the playoffs and finish 11th worse or lower their pick has a shot at #1 overall (wonder if the habs picking first with Florida's pick would get Zito fired?).

The Panthers are tight against the cap as they have to pay Yandle 5.3M for one more year and they have no more 1st round picks to trade if they get in trouble. It wouldn't take much to go off the rails for them to have a bad year. Heaven forbid that someone like Ekblad gets hurt. (I would never wish for anyone to get hurt).  The Panthers will have a lot more flexibility next year when Yandle and Hornqvist come off the books but this could be a tough year for them as expectations are high after last year. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Panthers are tight against the cap as they have to pay Yandle 5.3M for one more year and they have no more 1st round picks to trade if they get in trouble. It wouldn't take much to go off the rails for them to have a bad year. Heaven forbid that someone like Ekblad gets hurt. (I would never wish for anyone to get hurt).  The Panthers will have a lot more flexibility next year when Yandle and Hornqvist come off the books but this could be a tough year for them as expectations are high after last year. 

image.png

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Habs need a few things but giving up an unprotected first for a team in rebuild mode is not the way to go in my opinion. 

that is over dramatizing what the FLA 1st may be. But, sure if you feel that way

I still would have done it, so that the Habs young D core can learn to win together

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

They do need to fill out the right side in the long term, but have Barron, Harris and Mailloux in the pipeline, as well as a couple of 2021 Russian draftees (Dmitri Kostenko and Daniil Sobolev) ... they can likely find a serviceable "body" for this season by trade or waivers, so I am glad they didn't over-prioritize the need.

Harris is a lefty and the Russian draftees are late picks that have not progressed

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Harris is a lefty and the Russian draftees are late picks that have not progressed

I have always known that Harris is a lefty ... just as I have known that he normally plays on the right side ... never said he was a RHD, just that he plays the right-side ... didn't claim the Russian draftees were GREAT prospects, just mentioned them to be complete in listing the RHD in the Habs "pipeline" ... as 2021 draft picks not certain how much progress I should expect from them, or how much they have shown since they are hidden over in the KHL.

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I have always known that Harris is a lefty ... just as I have known that he normally plays on the right side ... never said he was a RHD, just that he plays the right-side ... didn't claim the Russian draftees were GREAT prospects, just mentioned them to be complete in listing the RHD in the Habs "pipeline" ... as 2021 draft picks not certain how much progress I should expect from them, or how much they have shown since they are hidden over in the KHL.

this should help http://www.habsworld.net/2022/08/assessing-the-depth-right-defencemen/

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Totally agree there is a need on the right-side ... never said there wasn't ... where you and I disagree is whether (a) it must be filled with a right-hand shot and (b)  whether that need made it worthwhile to include the Florida pick in a trade for Lundkvist ... fair enough.

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Habs could have given the FLA 1st round pick they have and a 4th round pick or Mysak or even Norlinder instead of Mysak

That would have been ok by me

That first-rounder is worth a lot more than Mysak and Norlinder.  Neither of those players are worth first-round picks.

54 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

that is over dramatizing what the FLA 1st may be. But, sure if you feel that way

I still would have done it, so that the Habs young D core can learn to win together

I don't think I am over dramatizing at all, only stating that an unprotected 1st in what is supposed to be one of the best drafts ever is likely to be better than the 28th pick of the 2018 draft and a guy who hasn't yet won a regular spot in the NHL  and is demanding to be traded. I prefer to take my chances with the unprotected first and it seems like Hughes made the same determination.  As always, time will tell. 

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Habs could have given the FLA 1st round pick they have and a 4th round pick or Mysak or even Norlinder instead of Mysak

That would have been ok by me

No way do you give up an unprotected pick. Florida just lost a top 4 dman, on paper Huberdeau for Tkachuk, May be an upgrade, but with uncertainty about team chemistry, and with goaltending (Bob the goalie is always a question mark and knight hasn’t been able to take the reigns yet), on a capped out team, I’m not risking giving up a potential lottery pick.

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

100% agree - unless we are getting a sure thing like a Makar or Hughes!

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Don’t forget Tampa took a huge step back, before they moved forward again (the year they drafted Drouin).

23 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Between David Savard, Chris Wideman, Justin Barron, Jordan Harris, and Madison Bowey, they have enough players if a warm body who can play in the NHL for one season is the criteria. 

They need a long term solution at the position, either through development of one of the above named prospects or a trade, but for a season we aren't expecting to compete, there are enough warm bodies to dress three RD per night. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Commandant said:

Between David Savard, Chris Wideman, Justin Barron, Jordan Harris, and Madison Bowey, they have enough players if a warm body who can play in the NHL for one season is the criteria. 

They need a long term solution at the position, either through development of one of the above named prospects or a trade, but for a season we aren't expecting to compete, there are enough warm bodies to dress three RD per night. 

I thought Harris was a LD, per the info here https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/pages/montreal-canadiens-organizational-depth-chart

If he is RD, then that changes the equation at that position for sure. If he’s not, then we still need another RD back there, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I thought Harris was a LD, per the info here https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/pages/montreal-canadiens-organizational-depth-chart

If he is RD, then that changes the equation at that position for sure. If he’s not, then we still need another RD back there, in my opinion.

I thought Marty played him on LD and that is why I put him there

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He is a left-shot defender and that is his natural side.  However, he did spend a fair bit of his college career on the right side.

16 minutes ago, Neech said:

Harris even mentioned in a recent interview that he's been practicing details of playing on the right side.

expecting Harris to go from College RD to NHL top-4 RD is madness!

I like his potential, but expectations have to be realistic

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope this regime will take any warm body off the street to plug lineup holes rather than jeopardizing our prospects' development.

On 9/22/2022 at 3:33 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

Who is expecting him to go to top 4 d.

Savard and Wideman are veterans whose development wont be hurt if they play top 4 minutes to start.  Another vet may come on waivers too.

Then as they get experience Barron or Harris can take more minutes and pass those guys as the season goes along and they are ready for it.

Sure this wont make for a good team but we know that this isnt a good team to begin with.  The whole thing is to use the year for development of Harris, Barron, Guhle and forwards like Slafkovsky, Caufield, Dach, etc...

Whether that is AHL big minutes, NHL third pair/third line, or NHL top 4.. you put them into the roles they are ready for.  And the roles they start in likely wont be where they are in March.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pierre Joseph, is he any good?

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/ice-breakers-canucks-are-actively-working-to-trade-micheal-ferlands-contract/

Or these guys, RH d-men.

Chad Ruhwedel

Defense -- shoots R
Born May 7 1990 -- San Diego, CA
[32 yrs. ago]
Height 5.11 -- Weight 191 [180 cm/87 kg]

Mark Friedman

Defense -- shoots R
Born Dec 25 1995 -- Toronto, ONT
[26 yrs. ago]
Height 5.11 -- Weight 185 [180 cm/84 kg]