Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

14 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Perhaps, the 1 year left on his contract makes him more than a short term rental but teams might be leery of his recent injury issues. 

Yes, the 'chronic' back injury i would think would make folks leery, but at $3.5m, not a crazy huge risk i guess?

Huh. Seems like a clear win for the Canuckleheads? I’m not sure why the (cough) “sweepstakes” for Bear lasted so long if the return is a 5th rounder. I’m also puzzled that the Hurricanes signed him for 2.2 in July, only to not dress him, and then retain salary. It beats me. But basically any warm body helps the Canucks at this point, so this is a win for them regardless.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Perhaps, the 1 year left on his contract makes him more than a short term rental but teams might be leery of his recent injury issues. 

Maybe the same issue as last year? But it would likely be subject to a medical exam, yes.

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Huh. Seems like a clear win for the Canuckleheads? I’m not sure why the (cough) “sweepstakes” for Bear lasted so long if the return is a 5th rounder. I’m also puzzled that the Hurricanes signed him for 2.2 in July, only to not dress him, and then retain salary. It beats me. But basically any warm body helps the Canucks at this point, so this is a win for them regardless.

They gambled on him having more value than they did.  But the retention isn't shocking since they're sending a minor leaguer with a one-way contract the other way as well.  For Vancouver taking on Pederson ($750,000), they'll retain $400,000 on Bear to lower his cap hit.  The net savings for Carolina for those elements is $350,000 cash plus a fifth-rounder and a contract slot which, for paying three weeks of Bear's full salary, isn't a terrible outcome.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

WARNING: Eklund rumour

... Joel Edmudson is one of the players the Canadiens would like to retain, but they are listening to all offers, and per one source the Blues are talking a pretty sweet deal that the Habs WILL likely take.

Posted (a) in case for once he is right, and (b) mostly, to reiterate my opinion that trading Edmundson might not be a terrible idea ... lots of clickbait site talk about Ottawa also being in the mix.

59 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

WARNING: Eklund rumour

... Joel Edmudson is one of the players the Canadiens would like to retain, but they are listening to all offers, and per one source the Blues are talking a pretty sweet deal that the Habs WILL likely take.

Posted (a) in case for once he is right, and (b) mostly, to reiterate my opinion that trading Edmundson might not be a terrible idea ... lots of clickbait site talk about Ottawa also being in the mix.

Edmundson is very valuable to the Habs right with all the young defensemen that need mentoring BUT for the right offer the Habs have to seriously consider doing it.  The Blues might be desperate. There is a lot of pressure on Ottawa to make the playoffs this year but I just can't see Ottawa and the Habs making a big deal but you never know. 

St. Louis has over $70M in commitments for next season already and still need to re-sign or replace O'Reilly and Tarasenko (this one is fresh in my mind as I just wrote about their cap the other day on PHR).  Is adding $3.5M to their books for next year in Edmundson a wise move knowing that it could cost them a shot at re-signing one of their core free agents?  They don't have room to add a core guy without moving out a core guy that's signed beyond this year and there isn't one of those that they should want to move for Edmundson.

The Athletic, By Pierre LeBrun, Nov 10, 2022

A healthy Sean Monahan (also a pending UFA) from Montreal could be another option for Colorado.

But if I were Avs GM Chris MacFarland and were looking to bolster my lineup for a chance to repeat, O’Reilly and Toews are the two guys I’d zero in on closer to March 3 

He also mentions Bo Horvat as a possible Colorado target.

At least we know Hughes and Chris MacFarland can work together ... but none of the players would be easy for Colorado to make work cap-wise.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see a great fit between Anaheim and the Habs.  Some will suggest Max Comtois but this management group might not be as interested in him as the old one as his value has dipped lately.  If I had to guess, are they looking at a swap of high-paid wingers, something like Hoffman and Silfverberg?  Both are signed through next year although Silfverberg is a bit more expensive.  That would open a spot for Dadonov to play a little higher as they try to improve his trade value with Silfverberg being more of a bottom-six guy at this point.  That's not particularly exciting but that was about the only plausible scenario I could think of.

As for the other two teams in the link, a GM scouting a team twice on planned days (Ottawa) isn't anything special while Vancouver's assistant GM is from Quebec and was probably taking care of some things at home while she was in town.  Nothing to get excited about there.

On a different scouting note, the Habs were one of ten teams that had a scout at Boston's AHL game yesterday which also happened to be Mike Reilly's first game down there.  For some reason, they're keeping close tabs on him.

Inquiring mind needs to know.

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/11/21/canadiens-criticism-pierre-gervais-book-ducharme-bergevin-pacioretty/

Captain Conundrum

Gervais expressed his surprise when winger Max Pacioretty was named captain of the team, a vote that came down to him and defenceman P.K. Subban.

“He was very egocentric,” said Gervais. “He rarely smiled and kept to himself. He didn’t bring the team together. We could win 10-1 and he’d pout if he did not score a goal.”

Gervais also ripped Ducharme

Amongst the points he made. 

- Players expected that Richardson would be named HC when Julien was fired. 

- Players didn't respect Ducharme, the Cup run was more a last dance where they were playing for Price and Weber rather than for the coach. 

- Ducharme didn't communicate with players. Players would learn that they were being made a healthy scratch on twitter, or when they arrived at the rink from reading it on the white board in the dressing room. He didn't explain to them the decision. One of the players was Caufield. 

- Players didn't like that Ducharme had no adjustments when they started losing. Didn't tweak his system or make any changes to try and get out of the bad star to the year. 

29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

- Players didn't respect Ducharme, the Cup run was more a last dance where they were playing for Price and Weber rather than for the coach. 

- Ducharme didn't communicate with players. Players would learn that they were being made a healthy scratch on twitter, or when they arrived at the rink from reading it on the white board in the dressing room. He didn't explain to them the decision. One of the players was Caufield. 

- Players didn't like that Ducharme had no adjustments when they started losing. Didn't tweak his system or make any changes to try and get out of the bad star to the year. 

All things that have been said at various times by many in media and/or on this board ... no surprises IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 9:29 AM, Commandant said:

I've long suspected that that Cup run was de facto coached by Weber, Price, Perry, and maybe Danault, much like the 1986 team won it all with Jean Perron as a wax mannequin while Gainey and Robinson led the team. This seems like credible confirmation.

As for Richardson being named HC, odd that the players thought that, given that coaching and GMing roles in Montreal are affirmative action programs for francophones or at least bilingual folks. Somehow the players haven't got the memo - ? 

38 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I've long suspected that that Cup run was de facto coached by Weber, Price, Perry, and maybe Danault, much like the 1986 team won it all with Jean Perron as a wax mannequin while Gainey and Robinson led the team. This seems like credible confirmation.

As for Richardson being named HC, odd that the players thought that, given that coaching and GMing roles in Montreal are affirmative action programs for francophones or at least bilingual folks. Somehow the players haven't got the memo - ? 

Certainly there may be a lot of truth to what he said but I don't think an equipment manager should be writing a kiss and tell book.  Players should be comfortable being around the equipment guys/training staff  knowing stuff they do won't end up in a book. The equipment guys get to see players at their best and worst.  I guess his motivation was to make a buck but he probably lost a lot of respect. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Certainly there may be a lot of truth to what he said but I don't think an equipment manager should be writing a kiss and tell book.  Players should be comfortable being around the equipment guys/training staff  knowing stuff they do won't end up in a book. The equipment guys get to see players at their best and worst.  I guess his motivation was to make a buck but he probably lost a lot of respect. 

He retired.

I don't begrudge him trying to make money for retirement.  Good for him. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Certainly there may be a lot of truth to what he said but I don't think an equipment manager should be writing a kiss and tell book ...

From what I've read he is offering his opinions and GENERAL observations ... IMO to be kiss & tell a book has to reveal "dirty secrets" ... I haven't heard/read any thus far.

Monahan and Edmundson are the two Habs on The Athletic trade board:

Just a quickie: Eeli Tolvanen waived and picked-up by Seattle... 

When I first heard about it, I was hoping for a claim by the Habs. I wouldn't be surprised if Eeli could have a similar curve as Marcus Näslund after joining the Canucks.

I think most people have forgotten how good Eeli was in both Europe and on the international stage. (Jokerit in the KHL and for Finland in the Sochi Olympics)

Confused that the Preds had to waive him and couldn't even get a trade done...

Tolvanen has another year on his contract after this one with a $1.45 million cap hit.  That's what scared teams away.  It's one thing to take a gamble on a player that you think has some upside that's on an expiring contract; if it doesn't work, no big deal.  But if you make that gamble on someone with another year left at a high enough price tag, it's a lot riskier.

I was with you, I thought it was odd they couldn't find a trade taker but Seattle was the only team to put in a claim so it's not as if there was much of a viable trade market for Tolvanen.  

On 12/13/2022 at 10:59 AM, TurdBurglar said:

Hmmm. He’s a slow-ish, oft-injured, decent goal-scorer who will play 60 games per year and get 23 goals. He never really fulfilled the brilliant promise he showed in his rookie season when he seemed like a potential 40-goal stud, and has, strangely, struggled under freewheeling coach Boudreau. Basically a Toffoli analogue. He’s signed at 6.5 and will be up for a new deal in 2026, when he will be 28. 

It doesn’t seem a great fit to me, but we have to remember that he Habs will be denuded of talent at wing after this season is over. 

48 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... It doesn’t seem a great fit to me, but we have to remember that he Habs will be denuded of talent at wing after this season is over. 

IMO he would be a "Bergevin" acquisition ... short-term band-aid ... but not IMO  conducive to a successful true rebuild ... expiring just as the team will (hopefully) be contending ... so I expect HuGo will pass ... unless Vancouver feels Gallagher would add the spark their team is missing.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

IMO he would be a "Bergevin" acquisition ... short-term band-aid ... but not IMO  conducive to a successful true rebuild ... expiring just as the team will (hopefully) be contending ... so I expect HuGo will pass ... unless Vancouver feels Gallagher would add the spark their team is missing.

It sounds like the interest is current.  Theoretically, he's another buy-low/hope to sell high type of player so I can understand why they'd be interested on that front.  Matching the money is another story though.  I can't see Vancouver wanting Gallagher.  I could see them wanting Anderson.