Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It sounds like the interest is current.  Theoretically, he's another buy-low/hope to sell high type of player so I can understand why they'd be interested on that front.  Matching the money is another story though.  I can't see Vancouver wanting Gallagher.  I could see them wanting Anderson.

Apologies for omitting the sarcasm emoji with the Gallagher comment ... NOBODY is likely to want Gallagher.

On 12/16/2022 at 9:32 AM, dlbalr said:

It sounds like the interest is current.  Theoretically, he's another buy-low/hope to sell high type of player so I can understand why they'd be interested on that front.  Matching the money is another story though.  I can't see Vancouver wanting Gallagher.  I could see them wanting Anderson.

I’d rather get better prospects or picks for Anderson.  I think he’s probably the only forward signed with term that is of value (other than a guy like Suzuki we wouldn’t want to move).

• 5 weeks later...

Anthony Marcotte wouldn't be surprised if the Habs pickup from the waiver wire. I doubt it, but here is his tweet fyi

34 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Anthony Marcotte wouldn't be surprised if the Habs pickup from the waiver wire. I doubt it, but here is his tweet fyi

I also doubt it.  No and No     Let the kids/Rockets play up front. Vinnie makes 1.7M/year and we have seen McCarron before. An easy no.

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Just seeing that name gives me hives, LOL.

Not only does McCarron dredge up memories better repressed, the opportunity cost of acquiring him or Hinostroza is too great. By that I mean, if you have either of them on the roster it reduces the organization's ability to sign other more desirable players-- by occupying a contract slot and eating cap space-- or to act as a 3rd party salary broker at the trade deadline. Far better to sign someone to a PTO in Laval and bring back Richard or another young guy if we are drastically short of bodies for the farm and need another player in Montreal.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a wavier claim but only if the player involved is young and has some untapped potential eg., someone like Kovacevic 

The Washington Capitals are similar to Pittsburgh in that they have an aging core (Ovechin, Backstrom, Oshie, Carlson). You would think that they want to take one more run at a cup while Ovechkin is still a difference maker.  They will have some interesting decisions to make. 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Washington Capitals are similar to Pittsburgh in that they have an aging core (Ovechin, Backstrom, Oshie, Carlson). You would think that they want to take one more run at a cup while Ovechkin is still a difference maker.  They will have some interesting decisions to make. 

Salary cap room will be at a premium for the trade deadline

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Theyve also basically said that they will not rebuild as long as Ovi is going for the goals record. 

7 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

According to Philippe Boucher, GM of the Drummondville Voltigeurs, Cole Caufield has already signed an extension and they are waiting to announce it.

There’s a reason this is in the rumours section.

I hope that's true (assuming it's somewhat reasonable).  Cole belongs in Montreal. 

On 1/20/2023 at 11:43 AM, Commandant said:

Theyve also basically said that they will not rebuild as long as Ovi is going for the goals record. 

That makes sense. Washington could be a buyer at the deadline as they might be in a dogfight for the last playoff spot. 

27 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

According to Philippe Boucher, GM of the Drummondville Voltigeurs, Cole Caufield has already signed an extension and they are waiting to announce it.

There’s a reason this is in the rumours section.

Lol what would the GM of a junior team know about that?

44 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Good point. And if he has professional aspirations why would he want to tell the world that he is a blabber mouth. 

On top of that, what is gained by waiting?

Its not like KK last year, where the deal was done, but he wasn't allowed to sign until after Jan 1st cause the CBA.  Caufield could sign at any time, so why wait. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

On top of that, what is gained by waiting?

Could it be to make sure the surgery goes well?  The last thing they'd want is to do the extension and then find out there were 'complications'.  There was some speculation when the injury came out on Saturday that they might do a double-announcement, 'We've signed Caufield for ___ years and by the way, his surgery went as anticipated and he's expected to be back for training camp'.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/insider-trading-what-kind-of-offer-would-the-habs-need-to-trade-anderson-1.1914549

Darren Dreger: Let’s talk about a player who is not in play and the player is in fact Josh Anderson. As we all know, the Canadiens often get calls on Anderson because he’s a unique player in the NHL. He’s that prototypical power-forward.

So, could he be in play?

The only way he gets on the trade block is if a team persuades [Canadiens general manager] Kent Hughes and makes an offer that they simply can’t refuse. We know historically that [Calgary Flames general manager] Brad Treliving has expressed interest in Anderson. Montreal prefers to keep him because he’s got a good long-term contract but this far out from the March 3 trade deadline, anything is possible.

3 hours ago, DON said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/insider-trading-what-kind-of-offer-would-the-habs-need-to-trade-anderson-1.1914549

Darren Dreger: Let’s talk about a player who is not in play and the player is in fact Josh Anderson. As we all know, the Canadiens often get calls on Anderson because he’s a unique player in the NHL. He’s that prototypical power-forward.

So, could he be in play?

The only way he gets on the trade block is if a team persuades [Canadiens general manager] Kent Hughes and makes an offer that they simply can’t refuse. We know historically that [Calgary Flames general manager] Brad Treliving has expressed interest in Anderson. Montreal prefers to keep him because he’s got a good long-term contract but this far out from the March 3 trade deadline, anything is possible.

I just don't see Anderson being traded at the deadline given his long term contract as I see that as more of a "hockey" trade than a deadline deal and requires some long term planning.  It gives the insiders something to talk about.  But anything is possible. 

24 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I just don't see Anderson being traded at the deadline given his long term contract as I see that as more of a "hockey" trade than a deadline deal and requires some long term planning.  It gives the insiders something to talk about.  But anything is possible. 

There are still OCCASIONAL "hockey trades" in-season ... but despite what I might hope it seems unlikely.

4 hours ago, DON said:

So, could he be in play?

Anderson was a MB trade that at the time was disputed because Domi and a 3rd seemed like overpayment for a player that hadn't played after his shoulder surgery and had been inconsistent

Anderson is still inconsistent but shows flashes and works hard. He is a better version of Armia but will probably not be around during the Habs next cup window.

I would trade him at the deadline for a top 15 unprotected pick and a good prospect. Similar to the Pacciorety trade but with a lesser return given that Anderson lacks the production.

He would kill it in Edmonton or Pittsburgh, and would help bubble teams like LAK, MIN, BUF, NSH

19 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He would kill it in Edmonton or Pittsburgh, and would help bubble teams like LAK, MIN, BUF, NSH

He would certainly help the teams you mentioned. I find LA an interesting situation. They have a lot of good prospects and all their picks, Kopitar is 35, Doughty is 33 so you think at some point they will go hard for it. They are a bubble team and MB is there and has traded for Anderson before. There might be a fit there. 

5 hours ago, DON said:

So, could he be in play?

Funny, I think most fans on this site would dispute the assertion that he has a ‘good long-term contract.’

I like Anderson a lot, and seeing him live earlier this year really crystallized for me the extent to which is he is one tough SOB to play against, whether or not he shows up on the scoresheet. He does all the “little things,” including craving up guys behind the play and being brutal along the boards, that enhance his value beyond the 20-20 guy he is statistically. I think 5.5 is quite a nice cap hit for that guy. Having a guy who plays that way is a very valuable thing for a rebuilding team, inasmuch as he models the greasy aspects of the game, showing the kids what it means to be a ‘heavy’ player.

He’s 28 and his contract will expire in four years. Physical breakdown is a legitimate concern, given the way he plays. But it seems to me a *reasonable* gamble to think he’ll be able to play at something like this level for a good chunk of those years.

That being said: you can imagine a scenario where he is reduced to being an often-injured bottom-six guy on a $5.5 million ticket, just as the rebuilt Habs are approaching contender status. 

So: I see a decision on Anderson as more complicated than most folks on here probably do. Something tells me we should hold onto him for one more season; hopefully our future at W will be clearer by then, and we can ship him out to a contender at the deadline, having enjoyed his contributions for one more year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He would certainly help the teams you mentioned. I find LA an interesting situation. They have a lot of good prospects and all their picks, Kopitar is 35, Doughty is 33 so you think at some point they will go hard for it. They are a bubble team and MB is there and has traded for Anderson before. There might be a fit there. 

Nah ... he wants Gallagher ... LOL ... back to reality ... in a hypothetical Anderson ($5.5M AAV) trade, FOR CAP PURPOSES, I could see Brendan Lemieux ($1.35M) and Carl Grundström ($1.3M) coming back to the Habs and a "body" from Laval to balance contract totals ... as for the actual "return", they seem to have some very interesting "non-pro" (Brandt Clarke, RHD, Barrie Colts; Alex Laferriere, RW, Harvard University) and young pro (Quinton Byfield C; Jordan Spence RHD; Alex Turcotte RW; Helge Grans RHD) prospects as well as all their picks for the foreseeable future (except for their 2023 7th), as well as the Pens 3rd this season ... 

• Like 1