Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Nah ... he wants Gallagher ... LOL ... back to reality ... in a hypothetical Anderson ($5.5M AAV) trade, FOR CAP PURPOSES, I could see Brendan Lemieux ($1.35M) and Carl Grundström ($1.3M) coming back to the Habs and a "body" from Laval to balance contract totals ... as for the actual "return", they seem to have some very interesting "non-pro" (Brandt Clarke, RHD, Barrie Colts; Alex Laferriere, RW, Harvard University) and young pro (Quinton Byfield C; Jordan Spence RHD; Alex Turcotte RW; Helge Grans RHD) prospects as well as all their picks for the foreseeable future (except for their 2023 7th), as well as the Pens 3rd this season ... 

We can always throw Gally in, maybe they won't notice.  LOL   Good analysis of their picks and prospects. I really think LA does something at the deadline. 

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would trade him at the deadline for a top 15 unprotected pick and a good prospect.

The teams with top 15 unprotected picks are non-playoff teams and aren't making trades at the deadline with their first rounder (unprotected) involved though.

So sure, you can want to do it, but its unlikely to actually happen.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The teams with top 15 unprotected picks are non-playoff teams and aren't making trades at the deadline with their first rounder (unprotected) involved though.

So sure, you can want to do it, but its unlikely to actually happen.

Agreed, if Hughes is able to snag another 1st rounder it will most likely be with a team that has a legitimate shot at the cup and will probably end up in the 24-32 range.  If it's a bubble team it will be a protected pick similar to the Islanders trade. 

28 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed, if Hughes is able to snag another 1st rounder it will most likely be with a team that has a legitimate shot at the cup and will probably end up in the 24-32 range.  If it's a bubble team it will be a protected pick similar to the Islanders trade. 

or you pick up a good prospect, like Dach or Barron, for example, instead of a first-round pick.

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He would certainly help the teams you mentioned. I find LA an interesting situation. They have a lot of good prospects and all their picks, Kopitar is 35, Doughty is 33 so you think at some point they will go hard for it. They are a bubble team and MB is there and has traded for Anderson before. There might be a fit there. 

I could never find a trade proposal that made sense, but I wish we could get Fabro from NSH. Won't happen, but out of the bubble teams, that is whom I would have liked to get: He seemed to be developing into a minute eating RHD, but is playing 3rd pair minutes of late after the McDounagh acquisition.

He would fit better with the Habs, IMHO

On 1/24/2023 at 3:52 PM, Commandant said:

On top of that, what is gained by waiting?

Its not like KK last year, where the deal was done, but he wasn't allowed to sign until after Jan 1st cause the CBA.  Caufield could sign at any time, so why wait. 

On 1/24/2023 at 6:31 PM, dlbalr said:

Could it be to make sure the surgery goes well?  The last thing they'd want is to do the extension and then find out there were 'complications'.  There was some speculation when the injury came out on Saturday that they might do a double-announcement, 'We've signed Caufield for ___ years and by the way, his surgery went as anticipated and he's expected to be back for training camp'.

Another reason could be the bankruptcy of Diamond Sports group / Bally.

There is some sort of uncertainty about eh TV rights earnings right now.  

I'll leave you guys dig into this, but the NHL and other major sports could be affected by this situation in terms of revenus (salary cap, revenus sharing, etc)

5 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Another reason could be the bankruptcy of Diamond Sports group / Bally.

There is some sort of uncertainty about eh TV rights earnings right now.  

I'll leave you guys dig into this, but the NHL and other major sports could be affected by this situation in terms of revenus (salary cap, revenus sharing, etc)

Something I read the other day was that it is not a shutdown-bankruptcy it is a restructuring bankruptcy ... so the TV contracts are not just voided ... they might try to cancel/alter some but many are strong assets going forward ... but uncertainty is never good.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Something I read the other day was that it is not a shutdown-bankruptcy it is a restructuring bankruptcy ... so the TV contracts are not just voided ... they might try to cancel/alter some but many are strong assets going forward ... but uncertainty is never good.

Should fans really give a crap about this?

Not being sarcastic, but like the actual salary cap amount,  just dosent seem like matters in grand scheme?

Still same playing field for all teams isnt it?:spamafote:

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Should fans really give a crap about this?

Not being sarcastic, but like the actual salary cap amount,  just dosent seem like matters in grand scheme?

Still same playing field for all teams isnt it?:spamafote:

Fans can care about whatever they want no? 

If you don't care about the amount of the cap, thats up to you. 

Personally I don't care about the Bally stuff, but someone might.  There's nothing wrong with that. 

I do care about the cap total.  Some teams have more future commitments than others.  The more the cap goes up, the more it is an advantage for teams who already have a lot committed as now its breathing room instead of being in cap jail.

14 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Coyotes sat Chychrun tonight for trade related reasons.  A team like the Kings have the young pieces to get him. Perhaps the Leafs will make a big play as they have some good young pieces. Something must be happening if they sat him. 

Edmonton and Toronto have confirmed they are not in on Chychrun.  LA seems most likely at this point, but things could change. 

Deleted for reason of my stupidity

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That would be a fake Seravalli - this is from the Twitter bio:

PARODY Hockey Insider for Clown Hockey | Fan Account | PARODY ACCOUNT | ALL TWEETS ARE SATIRE AND TO NOT BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY! | FOR MY NHL 23 GAME SIMULATION

My horrible bad
Too quick to pay attention ... meanwhile the real Seravalli...

19 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Deleted for reason of my stupidity

🤪 hey, that has never stopped me from posting either 🤪

I enjoy reading your posts, keep it up, fellow Ottawan!

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

🤪 hey, that has never stopped me from posting either 🤪

I enjoy reading your posts, keep it up, fellow Ottawan!

That one was a total cock-up by me getting suckered by a fake Twitter account

I’ve been seeing a number of b-rated sports news sites linking Anderson to Winnipeg lately.  One even suggested PLD would be apart of that trade.

Out of all of them, the best point to support Anderson to Winnipeg is he has term and Winnipeg has a hard time attracting free agents, so a player with term would be better for them.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, I think it’s just all smoke, no fire, but worse bringing up for a discussion.

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree with this post.  LOL   

You need to be able to laugh at yourself sometimes. Good job!!

glad to have made you laugh :+1

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a rumor... But all the moves got me looking at MTLs lineup next year.

I'll assume we don't lose everyone to injury... to start the year should have 9 NHL dmen next season.

NHL Roster Locks: (LD) Matheson and Edmonston (RD) Savard (LD/RD) Guhle and Harris.

Leaves one spot on the RD for: (Rd) Kovacevic, Barron, Wideman and LD/Rd Xhejak.

what do you guys think the plan will be offseason?

I figure Edmonston is gone or honestly maybe LTIR. Seems headed that way.

Now that's two spots for four guys. Probably keep Wideman up as a 7th dman to sit him? Have one of Barron or Xhejak in AHL to start like earlier this year? Or are they too good for that? I could see Xhejak maybe having a soft more slump from the pressure or the injury? But seems like a super determined kid and doesn't seem like that 'take a step back' kind of player...

Think Barron could use more AHL time?

or are we going to end up moving a young dman for a forward?

16 hours ago, Plutarch said:

Not really a rumor... But all the moves got me looking at MTLs lineup next year.

I'll assume we don't lose everyone to injury... to start the year should have 9 NHL dmen next season.

NHL Roster Locks: (LD) Matheson and Edmonston (RD) Savard (LD/RD) Guhle and Harris.

Leaves one spot on the RD for: (Rd) Kovacevic, Barron, Wideman and LD/Rd Xhejak.

what do you guys think the plan will be offseason?

I figure Edmonston is gone or honestly maybe LTIR. Seems headed that way.

Now that's two spots for four guys. Probably keep Wideman up as a 7th dman to sit him? Have one of Barron or Xhejak in AHL to start like earlier this year? Or are they too good for that? I could see Xhejak maybe having a soft more slump from the pressure or the injury? But seems like a super determined kid and doesn't seem like that 'take a step back' kind of player...

Think Barron could use more AHL time?

or are we going to end up moving a young dman for a forward?

I could see WiFi having a sophomore slump that reverts him back to the mean - i.e., the expectation that he’s a marginal NHLer. I hope not, but it would not be a shock.

Assuming Xhejak continues to defy expectations, though, I am not a huge Kovacevic fan. He’s OK but to my mind he’s a placeholder with limited upside. If Barron continues to play strong as we run out the clock on 2022-23, then FWIW I tentatively pencil him in and have Kovacevic ride the pine. He’ll be 26 anyway…sliding past the stage where you worry about “hurting his development.”  The guy to send down is Wideman.

47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I could see WiFi having a sophomore slump that reverts him back to the mean - i.e., the expectation that he’s a marginal NHLer. I hope not, but it would not be a shock.

Assuming Xhejak continues to defy expectations, though, I am not a huge Kovacevic fan. He’s OK but to my mind he’s a placeholder with limited upside. If Barron continues to play strong as we run out the clock on 2022-23, then FWIW I tentatively pencil him in and have Kovacevic ride the pine. He’ll be 26 anyway…sliding past the stage where you worry about “hurting his development.”  The guy to send down is Wideman.

I hope the shoulder injury does not become a recurrent issue. That may turn Xhekaj into a fringe NHLer if he cannot be as physical as he has been.

Let's hope for the best!