Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

23 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

The bum deserves to be pressboxed for the remainder of the season.  I'd like to think that'd be the case if not for the slew of injuries, but who knows with this guy, the way he's always coddled.

The French papers would be in an uproar if he was benched for the season. Can’t be doing that to the home grown Francophone!

25 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The French papers would be in an uproar if he was benched for the season. Can’t be doing that to the home grown Francophone!

I dunno, maybe not? Not sure how he is viewed at home?

14 hours ago, sbhatt said:

The bum deserves to be pressboxed for the remainder of the season.  I'd like to think that'd be the case if not for the slew of injuries, but who knows with this guy, the way he's always coddled.

I hope he is press boxed too, but for the sake of Drouin the person.

This reminds me of when Brashear was ridiculed by Tremblay at practice as a scapegoat.

Yes, I am a softy and have defended Drouin. And I find it odd that at this point of the season, after such a humiliating loss, the biggest news is that Drouin was late for a team meeting

Talk about kicking the dog while he is down 

we all know Drouin has turned into Gomez 2.0 and that he is not coming back to the Habs and probably not coming back to the NHL. Just the timing of this is so convenient to deflect attention away from real problems

18 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope he is press boxed too, but for the sake of Drouin the person.

This reminds me of when Brashear was ridiculed by Tremblay at practice as a scapegoat.

Yes, I am a softy and have defended Drouin. And I find it odd that at this point of the season, after such a humiliating loss, the biggest news is that Drouin was late for a team meeting

Talk about kicking the dog while he is down 

we all know Drouin has turned into Gomez 2.0 and that he is not coming back to the Habs and probably not coming back to the NHL. Just the timing of this is so convenient to deflect attention away from real problems

I really wonder what he could be of he was in phx without the media storm or any public pressure. He's still good enough skill wise to be a offensive 3rd liner on a bad team who fills top six when there's injuries.

7 hours ago, Plutarch said:

I really wonder what he could be of he was in phx without the media storm or any public pressure. He's still good enough skill wise to be a offensive 3rd liner on a bad team who fills top six when there's injuries.

We will see in July.

Am sure, like you say, he could be cheap depth player somewhere else.

It is unlikely that MSL would have publicly humiliated him for a single case of being late to a meeting. This is probably more a case of straw breaking the camel’s back.

In a team full of kids, Drouin could at the very least have worked to model commitment and professionalism. But as a certifiably useless bum he can’t even deliver that much. 

No team is going to want him now. Soft, undependable, often injured, one dimensional, and unprofessional. You may as well go sign Andrei Kostitstyn.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It is unlikely that MSL would have publicly humiliated him for a single case of being late to a meeting. This is probably more a case of straw breaking the camel’s back.

In a team full of kids, Drouin could at the very least have worked to model commitment and professionalism. But as a certifiably useless bum he can’t even deliver that much. 

No team is going to want him now. Soft, undependable, often injured, one dimensional, and unprofessional. You may as well go sign Andrei Kostitstyn.

There will always be a GM that will take a chance and I agree that a cheap team that is still in bottom out mode will consider him on a cheap show me deal.

they are exhibit A for steam where Mgmt has done everything possible to finish last, but the players

and coaching staff won’t quit

9 hours ago, Plutarch said:

once Drouin walks, I will not give him anymore thought than to Chiarot or Cousins 

I try to keep my fandom to current Habs. 
I think he would do great in Europe. Switzerland ? Germany?

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

once Drouin walks, I will not give him anymore thought than to Chiarot or Cousins 

I try to keep my fandom to current Habs. 
I think he would do great in Europe. Switzerland ? Germany?

Costco? Oh wait, they probably would require him to show up on time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Kypreos gets a lot wrong but he gets enough stuff right that I don't entirely discount stuff he says/writes.  With that in mind, this was from his weekly Toronto Star column today:

There’s some talk about Jeff Gorton feeling somewhat isolated as vice-president of hockey operations for the Montreal Canadiens. He may be missing the day-to-day action of being in the thick of things as a general manager, but those duties now belong to Kent Hughes. It would be interesting if Gorton entertains offers to get back into the action this summer.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/opinion/2023/03/30/why-the-lost-art-of-elite-nhl-goaltending-should-give-the-maple-leafs-some-nhl-playoff-comfort.html

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Nick Kypreos gets a lot wrong but he gets enough stuff right that I don't entirely discount stuff he says/writes.  With that in mind, this was from his weekly Toronto Star column today:

There’s some talk about Jeff Gorton feeling somewhat isolated as vice-president of hockey operations for the Montreal Canadiens. He may be missing the day-to-day action of being in the thick of things as a general manager, but those duties now belong to Kent Hughes. It would be interesting if Gorton entertains offers to get back into the action this summer.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/opinion/2023/03/30/why-the-lost-art-of-elite-nhl-goaltending-should-give-the-maple-leafs-some-nhl-playoff-comfort.html

Didn’t read the article but I could see Gorton replacing Dubas if the leafs bounce early again. 

The vibe I got when Gorton was hired was that Gorton would get things going and then leave it to Hughes. 

I was expecting 3-4 years though 

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He seems to be doing tour of duty with each original 6 teams :o

I hope he stays at least one more year, for the sake of the rebuild... even if I am not a fan of Gorton. The Habs need stability and a steady hand at the wheel

I am not exactly sure what he does or if he is doing well (or not) at it? But does seem pretty quick and odd timing to move on, unless he and Molson or Hughes arnt getting along i suppose?

If he wants to leave I would let him go ANYWHERE except Toronto.

He’s under contract with Montreal.  Any team looking at him for a potential GM position would have to get permission from Montreal to speak to him about it.  It’s unlikely Montreal would deny him the opportunity, but if he’s unhappy as VP of hockey operations they could move him to a position he would be more happy with.

All of that being said, it odd that he clearly could of had the opportunity to be the GM in Montreal but took the VP position instead.  They hired him before Hughes, so he could of said he wasn’t interested in the VP role but was interested in the GM.  When he was hired and all following stories spell out he was teaching Hughes how to be a successful GM.  While it could be true, there are a bunch of red flags about this story.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

All of that being said, it odd that he clearly could of had the opportunity to be the GM in Montreal but took the VP position instead.  They hired him before Hughes, so he could of said he wasn’t interested in the VP role but was interested in the GM.  When he was hired and all following stories spell out he was teaching Hughes how to be a successful GM.  While it could be true, there are a bunch of red flags about this story.

Would he have had the opportunity?  The organization places a high emphasis on its public figures speaking French and Gorton doesn't.  At the time, it felt like the VP position was created to get him into the fold because they wouldn't consider making him GM but wanted him involved in reshaping the franchise.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Would he have had the opportunity?  The organization places a high emphasis on its public figures speaking French and Gorton doesn't.  At the time, it felt like the VP position was created to get him into the fold because they wouldn't consider making him GM but wanted him involved in reshaping the franchise.

I didn’t know Gorton didn’t speak French.  I assumed he did.  I don’t watch many of the management press conferences. 

7 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Quitting a team in the middle of a promising rebuild, after only a year and a half seems really unlikely. And he did sign a five-year contract…

It does seem unlikely but perhaps he doesn't feel needed with Hughes doing most (or so it appears) of the heavy lifting. 

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

I didn’t know Gorton didn’t speak French.  I assumed he did.  I don’t watch many of the management press conferences. 

He's only done two that I'm aware of - one when he was hired and one when Hughes was hired then.  Since that point, Hughes is the public-facing executive.  I suspect language is a big part of that.

Laraque claims Hughes does the contracts but Gorton is the real GM ... not that I am in ANY way a big fan of/believer in Georges Laraque. 

29 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Laraque claims Hughes does the contracts but Gorton is the real GM ... not that I am in ANY way a big fan of/believer in Georges Laraque. 

Kypreos and Laraque, that's two borderline "scoopers" commenting on Hugh-Gort

:scared: the sky is falling :scared: the sky is falling :scared: the sky is falling !