Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Phew. For a second there I thought we were going to get Aebischer4life back in return.

who was the other one ?? samsonovsucks or blamesamsonov?? can't remember

who was the other one ?? samsonovsucks or blamesamsonov?? can't remember

oh yeah.

DUMP_samsonov

He used that name before Samsonov even played a game in Montreal.

Washington having a tough time re-signing Ovechkin. He wants 9-10 million instead of a Crosby like deal. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Maybe he is being difficult because he wants out of Washington. Does Bob go for this higly unlikely trade. What would it take? We all know he was unhappy with washington's inabiity to land super free agents. Same as us but at least we are winning games and have our own little gang of russians for him to bond with.

Source...Spector!!!!

Gainey would not sign him as an RFA but I think Ovechkin would agree to play here since he's good friends with Markov and Kovalev used to captain his country's national team, I bet he grew up cheering for him. Also, we could use him at RW obviously as Ryder is leaving though we would welcome him even if we had a dozen Ryders and they were all here to stay.

If we actually had a legitimate chance at trading for Ovechkin (it's November 11th, so we don't), this is what I would offer:

Ryder (a kind of young, goal-scoring RW to "replace" Ovechkin that they have the capspace to give a good extension to)

Halak (a good young goalie to compete with Varlamov for Kolzig's job once he retires (can't be long now)

Grabovski (they may see potential in him as an offensive player)

Streit (they need good defenceman and Streit would be a good cheap one though he needs a new contract)

MTL 1st 08

MTL 2nd 09

Is it really worth it for Washington? It seems like a pile of things we don't need for a franchise player. Well for one thing, it is always going to be a pile of guys that aren't part of our core. Good GMs (especially conservative ones like Gainey) don't mess wit htheir core for no reason. Yes, we could trade Higgins and Plekanec for Ovechkin if he were on the market but that would create as many problems as it solves. Look at past trades to see the value of a superstar, especially when a GM is under the gun (knowing OV will get some huge RFA offers).

So a possible 30 goalscorer (something they can use), a good young goalie with starting potential who is probably NHL ready (something else they can use), an underrated and cheap defenceman who's good on special teams and at making the first pass out of the zone (something else they can use), a young fireball centre with high potential but low chances of ever hitting it (something that sweetens the deal, especially for a young team) and two good picks that they can definitely use and I'm sure Gainey would be hesitant to give up. That being said, I'm sure Washington would push for atleast one of our top 3 defenceman or one of our top 4 young NHL forwards but I don't think Gainey would let any of them go. It doesn't look like much for a franchise player, but will anybody offer more than that? I'm not even sure Gainey would offer that.

Washington wouldnt couldnt and shouldnt trade for anything we could offer EVEN if the Russian sensation was threatning to go to the SUper League

Minimum requirements would be (Price, Higgins, Komisarek and 2 or three first round picks) and then maybe add Ryder

Washington wouldnt couldnt and shouldnt trade for anything we could offer EVEN if the Russian sensation was threatning to go to the SUper League

Minimum requirements would be (Price, Higgins, Komisarek and 2 or three first round picks) and then maybe add Ryder

Sorry, you would not make a good GM to trade away any hope of challenging for the cup by trading the entire team for one player. Plus that is way too much.

Sorry, you would not make a good GM to trade away any hope of challenging for the cup by trading the entire team for one player. Plus that is way too much.

haha I never said I would do that trade.. I said the Washington GM wouldnt even consider a trade with us unless we put up what i mentioned there... and if that happened I would become a Leafs fan!

He used that name before Samsonov even played a game in Montreal.

:lol: where'S the love ??!!

I agree that Gainey would never offer an RFA offersheet but I could see him taling the GM into a trade prior to another team poaching the player.

and why not ?? of course the first thing to do is try to talk into a trade but not trying to go at one of the best players in this league would be a mistake. giving an offer sheet to a rfa is not illegal.

:lol: where'S the love ??!!

and why not ?? of course the first thing to do is try to talk into a trade but not trying to go at one of the best players in this league would be a mistake. giving an offer sheet to a rfa is not illegal.

Well I think it could work because if the other GM knew he Ovechkin was going to sign some other offer sheet from a GM looking to just poach and the Habs had a better offer on the table then why not.

haha I never said I would do that trade.. I said the Washington GM wouldnt even consider a trade with us unless we put up what i mentioned there... and if that happened I would become a Leafs fan!

I agree, the GM in Washington would have to be nuts to trade Ovechkin for Halak, , Ryder, Streit and Grabovsky(along with a 1st round and 2nd round picks)

You don't trade one of the best talents in the league for a bag of pucks and a few hockey sticks! AS much as I like Steit and halak, they are not top rated players, and Ryder should not be a 1st line player either.

They would never trade Ovechkin. He makes too much money for the team because he's flashy. Even if the deal would be good for the Washington team, it would be bad for their business.

They would never trade Ovechkin. He makes too much money for the team because he's flashy. Even if the deal would be good for the Washington team, it would be bad for their business.

it's pretty sad that even with Ovechkin, the Caps are 25th in attendance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2008

Gainey would not sign him as an RFA but I think Ovechkin would agree to play here since he's good friends with Markov and Kovalev used to captain his country's national team, I bet he grew up cheering for him. Also, we could use him at RW obviously as Ryder is leaving though we would welcome him even if we had a dozen Ryders and they were all here to stay.

If we actually had a legitimate chance at trading for Ovechkin (it's November 11th, so we don't), this is what I would offer:

Ryder (a kind of young, goal-scoring RW to "replace" Ovechkin that they have the capspace to give a good extension to)

Halak (a good young goalie to compete with Varlamov for Kolzig's job once he retires (can't be long now)

Grabovski (they may see potential in him as an offensive player)

Streit (they need good defenceman and Streit would be a good cheap one though he needs a new contract)

MTL 1st 08

MTL 2nd 09

Is it really worth it for Washington? It seems like a pile of things we don't need for a franchise player. Well for one thing, it is always going to be a pile of guys that aren't part of our core. Good GMs (especially conservative ones like Gainey) don't mess wit htheir core for no reason. Yes, we could trade Higgins and Plekanec for Ovechkin if he were on the market but that would create as many problems as it solves. Look at past trades to see the value of a superstar, especially when a GM is under the gun (knowing OV will get some huge RFA offers).

So a possible 30 goalscorer (something they can use), a good young goalie with starting potential who is probably NHL ready (something else they can use), an underrated and cheap defenceman who's good on special teams and at making the first pass out of the zone (something else they can use), a young fireball centre with high potential but low chances of ever hitting it (something that sweetens the deal, especially for a young team) and two good picks that they can definitely use and I'm sure Gainey would be hesitant to give up. That being said, I'm sure Washington would push for atleast one of our top 3 defenceman or one of our top 4 young NHL forwards but I don't think Gainey would let any of them go. It doesn't look like much for a franchise player, but will anybody offer more than that? I'm not even sure Gainey would offer that.

Pipe Dream. They would never deal him for 10 cents on the dollar when they are already prepared to make him their highest paid player. Whoever makes an offer will be matched by the Caps. Simple as that.

I think Washington's worst case scenario is they have to pay him the max that the collective agreement allows.

If you want to see him in a Habs jersey you will have to wait until he is a UFA, or deal the core.

it's pretty sad that even with Ovechkin, the Caps are 25th in attendance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2008

Wow, that is pretty sad. I love that guy, he deserves more. I wish he would demand a trade to Montreal. I know the stakes would be high but I'd be willing to cough up the farm. Key word in this next sentence is CONSIDER. "I would CONSIDER throwing Price into the deal if it were to come up. We are pretty deep in net, our defensive game is great under which a lot of goalies would flourish. Ovechkin would bring his goal scoring, star power, confidence.....He would change everything in Montreal. There is no other way to get a proven scoring star of Ovechkin caliber on the Habs roster unless we give something up. At least we finally have a few pieces other teams may want. I wish we could have signed Souray only to sweeten the deal with him included......aaaahhhhhwelllllllll

Wow, that is pretty sad. I love that guy, he deserves more. I wish he would demand a trade to Montreal. I know the stakes would be high but I'd be willing to cough up the farm. Key word in this next sentence is CONSIDER. "I would CONSIDER throwing Price into the deal if it were to come up. We are pretty deep in net, our defensive game is great under which a lot of goalies would flourish. Ovechkin would bring his goal scoring, star power, confidence.....He would change everything in Montreal. There is no other way to get a proven scoring star of Ovechkin caliber on the Habs roster unless we give something up. At least we finally have a few pieces other teams may want. I wish we could have signed Souray only to sweeten the deal with him included......aaaahhhhhwelllllllll

Hmmmmm.................

First order of business it would seem would be to get Huet signed.

I'd still rather not lose Price, but Ovechkin?

Hmmmm..............

All depends on what else it costs in my eye, but Price,Lats,Ryder and Locke. I think I would do, and sign Huet.

Halak comes back up, as does one forward and we have a much improved team.

But I don't see it ever happenning

The only guy in the league I would trade Price for is Crosby.

Franchise goalies are worth more than top players at other positions.

Price may not reach his potential but he also might reach it.

One advantage with goalies is that they are less likely to suffer major

(career ending) injuries.

Well Ovechkin is probably better than Price (when they're both in their primes) but Ovechkin will be making 9 or so million dollars very soon while Price is making a hell of a lot less for the next few years. Actually, as a goalie, even if Price becomes the greatest goalie of all time, he will never make as much as an elite forward like Ovechkin will make.

So if someday Ovechkin is making 10M and Price is making 5M... it means we could have Price + a star player worth 5 million dollars instead of Ovechkin. Would that be worth it? Probably. But I'd still be very tempted to deal one of our three good goalies to give us a realistic(?) chance at a Cup as early as this season.

Phoenix waived two players today (Bell and Gratton) so I wouldn't be shocked if they are adding a player or two via trade. Something to keep an eye on.

Could be I am sure Gretz wants the playoffs bad this year & should they not act soon they could find themselves in the basement at the end of the season once again.

The Ovechkin salary demands are BS. OVechkin siad he and the Caps haven't even begun negotiations. Which seems about right for McPhee (typical of his style, he keeps everything close to his chest, never know what he's thinking).

NO

Absolutley not.

I disagree

ALOT.

I think SJ would jump on that with both feet.

Ryder is a proven scorer on a team that has had a tough time scoring in the last few years. Bernier has promise, but ask yourself how many promises have come true in your life?

This is no different.