Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Im not sure about the chemistry Hossa would bring to the NOW leaders in the group.... Im not aware of him being a leader (hossa) but with his value and probably pay check I would wager he will rub with Koivu and Kovalev! Tanguay on the other hand will be so sodomized by the press he wont be able to play properly let alone fight with the above mentioned leaders

Hey guys, im surious what websites you normally look at find trade rumours?

spectors? ?

what else?

go to Hfboards.com, go to the habs section and find the "trade rumours" thread... they are all summed up there... so that you don't have to visit 10 different websites...

however, would you want to stick to ONE website, Spector is the best.

there is also a complete section dedicated to trade rumours if you dont want "habs only rumours"

Im not sure about the chemistry Hossa would bring to the NOW leaders in the group.... Im not aware of him being a leader (hossa) but with his value and probably pay check I would wager he will rub with Koivu and Kovalev! Tanguay on the other hand will be so sodomized by the press he wont be able to play properly let alone fight with the above mentioned leaders

his playoffs stats:

Total NHL 55 13 22 35 -9

compared to other players with some leadership :

Koivu:

Total NHL 43 13 23 36 +11

Kovalev:

Total NHL 100 37 47 84 +9

Here are Hossa's Career stats!

1997-1998 OTT 7 0 1 1 -1

1998-1999 OTT 60 15 15 30 18

1999-2000 OTT 78 29 27 56 5

2000-2001 OTT 81 32 43 75 19

2001-2002 OTT 80 31 35 66 11

2002-2003 OTT 80 45 35 80 8

2003-2004 OTT 81 36 46 82 4

2005-2006 ATL 80 39 53 92 17

2006-2007 ATL 82 43 57 100 18

2007-2008 ATL 52 23 25 48 -14

Career -- 681 293 337 630 85

We can all see that this season is a bad year for Hossa.(he's on pace for 74 points) He is clearly unhappy in Atl. Maybe a change of scenery would encourage him toplay like a god during these upcoming playoffs?!?!?! I know he has never performed well during the playoffs, but you never know. Plus Hossa is now 29 years old, he's no longer a kid. I don't see why he wouldn'T get along with Koivu or Kovalev?

Edited by Habsfan

Is this the last year in Kovalevs contract? We will need someone to replace him if he is going to retire.

he's got another one after this and has said to reporters that he feels he has ~4-5 more years of hockey in him, IIRC.

I think you have to look at Hossa as a long-term move if you do anything at all.

Long term, he could be just what the doctor ordered in terms of replacing Kovalev. I LOOOVE Kovalev, but let's not kid ourselves that he's going to play forever or that he can be relied upon from season to season to bring the kind of game he's brought this season...

This may sounds odd, but teams with too many europeans usualy don't succed in the playoffs.

Taking Hossa as an example. When he was in Ottawa they finished the season with most overall points. Same thing in Atlanta. Won their division but after four games their runt for the cup was over.

Im not saying Hossa isn't a great player, I just don't think he's the one that will add to the mix. If Ryder was the one going the other way Montreal would have a lot of european player and history has shown that a mix is required since north americans have another mentality.

Edited by ch_nl

Here are Hossa's Career stats!

1997-1998 OTT 7 0 1 1 -1

1998-1999 OTT 60 15 15 30 18

1999-2000 OTT 78 29 27 56 5

2000-2001 OTT 81 32 43 75 19

2001-2002 OTT 80 31 35 66 11

2002-2003 OTT 80 45 35 80 8

2003-2004 OTT 81 36 46 82 4

2005-2006 ATL 80 39 53 92 17

2006-2007 ATL 82 43 57 100 18

2007-2008 ATL 52 23 25 48 -14

Career -- 681 293 337 630 85

We can all see that this season is a bad year for Hossa.(he's on pace for 74 points) He is clearly unhappy in Atl. Maybe a change of scenery would encourage him toplay like a god during these upcoming playoffs?!?!?! I know he has never performed well during the playoffs, but you never know. Plus Hossa is now 29 years old, he's no longer a kid. I don't see why he wouldn'T get along with Koivu or Kovalev?

Wow, he isn't as elite as I thought he was. I mean 100 pts i sgood, but eh only got that once. and only bursted the 40 goals mark twice...

yes he's good... but he's kovalev good... not more. and with less character.

This may sounds odd, but teams with too many europeans usualy don't succed in the playoffs.

Taking Hossa as an example. When he was in Ottawa they finished the season with most overall points. Same thing in Atlanta. Won their division but after four games their runt for the cup was over.

Im not saying Hossa isn't a great player, I just don't think he's the one that will add to the mix. If Ryder was the one going the other way Montreal would have a lot of european player and history has shown that a mix is required since north americans have another mentality.

I don't think I've ever seen a European advance this theory.

I would note that I think that many of the top Detroit Redwings teams had a ton of euros.

Edited by simonus

Wow, he isn't as elite as I thought he was. I mean 100 pts i sgood, but eh only got that once. and only bursted the 40 goals mark twice...

yes he's good... but he's kovalev good... not more. and with less character.

Hossa has gone a point a game the past 4 straight seasons and can do it again this season. Kovalev has gone a point-a-game I think once in his career (that crazy 95-point year).

I don't know about that so much anymore. The whole dynamic of european players has really changed. I don't know if any of you were watching Milbury the other night but he was reflecting upon this exact topic.The new kids coming in from Russia and europe, score, hit ,skate, they are aggressive .They have been very north americanized. Look at little titzz ,Ovechkin, kovalchuk,Malkin.......most of the hot shots in the league right now are european, welll actually russia.

The big thing with Hossa is, while he's put up great numbers he has nothing to really show for it. Doesn't mean he couldn't help us. He'd be better then Ryder for sure.

I wouldn't be as concerned about his nationality as I would be how his play-off performance is above average but half of what he does during the season.

I can see them now!!!!!!! a million

"What's wrong with Hossa threads"

Gainey given permission to speak to Hossa's agent.

Per the Team 1200 in Ottawa, Murray Wilson (commentator for the Habs on CJAD, former player) apparently said that Don Waddell gave Bob Gainey permission to speak with Hossa's agent, Don Baizley...probably regarding a contract extension.

I was just at HF and saw this. If true then WOW!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=474364

I hate to get too excited about trade rumors, but if a topline forward like Hossa could be had and is willing to sign for 3-4 years, i may be worth exploring. Gotta give up something to get something of value, but if BG could get Hossa for a package of a maybe 2nd rounder of couple of young players, i would be ok with that. As long as it's not Mcdonagh, or Pax. Also no Higgins, Komi, Pleks, or Kositi's or Lats. The only way to get better, let the young guns improve and get front-line talent.

I don't think I've ever seen a European advance this theory.

I would note that I think that many of the top Detroit Redwings teams had a ton of euros.

Sure they have. They had a line with Russians when they captured versus the Flyers. But there's always exeptions. But just look at the fact how many european captains whom has lift the cup?

I don't know exactly but I'd guess that there's 50% european captains in the NHL and just once has such a team won. Coincidence? I think not. It's the teams with the best mix that tends to win in the end.

Sure they have. They had a line with Russians when they captured versus the Flyers. But there's always exeptions. But just look at the fact how many european captains whom has lift the cup?

I don't know exactly but I'd guess that there's 50% european captains in the NHL and just once has such a team won. Coincidence? I think not. It's the teams with the best mix that tends to win in the end.

I wonder about sample size considering how long euros have been in the league en masse.

actually 33.3% of teams have euro captains.

Edited by simonus

I don't know about that so much anymore. The whole dynamic of european players has really changed. I don't know if any of you were watching Milbury the other night but he was reflecting upon this exact topic.The new kids coming in from Russia and europe, score, hit ,skate, they are aggressive .They have been very north americanized. Look at little titzz ,Ovechkin, kovalchuk,Malkin.......most of the hot shots in the league right now are european, welll actually russia.

The big thing with Hossa is, while he's put up great numbers he has nothing to really show for it. Doesn't mean he couldn't help us. He'd be better then Ryder for sure.

I wouldn't be as concerned about his nationality as I would be how his play-off performance is above average but half of what he does during the season.

I can see them now!!!!!!! a million

"What's wrong with Hossa threads"

I don't have the same opinion. Both north americans and europeans have learn from each other since Ulf Sterners days, sure. But there's still difference. Big time. As a europeans myself I guess I watch a lot more different hockey. Not more, but from different leauges and countries. Europeans take slapshots (even if Marcus Näslund still hasn't) and North Americans are wearing helmets.

I wouldn't say Ovechkin is Russian in his play. Just as less as Thomas Holmström is Swedish in his style. There's always exceptions. Malkin and Datsyuk... Have you even seem one of them deliver a bone chrusher?

But back to topic... Hossa is a great player but I would rather see a move or two by the deadline that would fire up Ryder on the third line and a guy that could give us a physical go-to-the-net-mentality.

In my dream that would be Fedorov and Tanguay.

Gainey given permission to speak to Hossa's agent.

Per the Team 1200 in Ottawa, Murray Wilson (commentator for the Habs on CJAD, former player) apparently said that Don Waddell gave Bob Gainey permission to speak with Hossa's agent, Don Baizley...probably regarding a contract extension.

I was just at HF and saw this. If true then WOW!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=474364

Interesting.

I wonder if this means the deal being considered is a sign and trade by Atlanta, which would increase the return. That makes me nervous, as I wouldn't want to lose some of the key roster players we have now and risk disrupting the chemistry, which is inevitable if we're getting back a Hossa who's signed for a few years. Alternatively, maybe Bob just wants to explore Hossa's mindset/price range regarding signing with Montreal later if a trade WAS made (for prospects/picks). That's much easier to take.

I Just want to say that it's ludicras to suggest that Hossa's playoff history suggests he wouldn't be worth signing. Think about it. His entire Ottawa team stunk in the playoffs. He was still very young and the best venterman he played with was Yashin as Spezza hadn't matured yet. Let's not forget how Alfredsson, chainged his reputation in just one year. Also, if anyone was picking the thrashers to beat the rangers last year, they're absolutely crazy. Nobody expected them to do well.

Hossa never had a good opportunity to prove himself, especially in the playoffs. He has yet to play with a centre with the passing ability of a koivu.

If it was to go down,I would be very excited of Hossa coming to Montreal. We were all excited to have his brother because we thought he may turn out like him. There are pros and cons that are merely just opinions more than living proof. The guy is a point per game player and would be a welcome edition to this team for sure. We would become better overnight.

What goes the other way? Gainey will do what he needs to do, I don't even want to speculate. It's too hard. I have faith in Bob. We are going to give some valuable assets we probably don't want to, but that is life.

I'm ready for the Hossa deal to go down.

From Bob McKenzie's blog on TSN.ca

2/6/2008

The Montreal Canadiens do not have permission to talk to the agent of Atlanta winger Marian Hossa about a new long-term contract.

So says Atlanta Thrashers GM Don Waddell, amid reports yesterday that Habs' GM Bob Gainey had been given permission to explore options with Hossa, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, in advance of a possible trade with the Thrashers.

"There's no truth to it," Waddell told TSN. "None at all."

In fact, Waddell is still trying to sign Hossa to a long-term contract to stay in Atlanta. Waddell has been negotiating this week with Hossa's Edmonton-based agent Ritch Winter. The Thrashers expect to know by the beginning of next week whether a deal can be reached.

If a deal isn't in place by the beginning of next week, sources say Waddell will shop Hossa to see what he will fetch, but that should not be confused with an absolute commitment to trade him.

That decision will be dictated by the Thrashers' play between now and the Feb. 26th trade deadline.

If the Thrashers are competing for a Southeast Division title and/or a playoff spot, Waddell will have to weigh his options – keep Hossa for the stretch drive and playoffs and risk losing him for nothing on July 1 or weaken his team in the short term and perhaps derail the playoff run to acquire long-term assets by trading Hossa before the deadline.

That takes us down to Earth a bit. I was just starting to imagine a Montreal team with a top six like this

Kosty Plex Kovy

Hossa Koivu Higgins

Damn, that looks a lot like TWO first lines, for a team that hasn't had ONE in almost a decade. And then the kid line of Lat Laps Kosty can score as well, we'd be intimidating.