Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Have faith in BG. He will do what's best for the Habs not only short-term, but for the long-haul as well. I doubt he will trade lots of the future for just a rental. If it is an impact player who can be retained then maybe, but not at the cost of breaking up the team.

Sundin, no. Price will be too high and just for a rental.

In terms of timing, Montreal is in a good position; we don't have our backs against the wall. Bob can take *his* time and decide what's best for the Habs, and if nothing pans out, it's not the end of the world because he has a team that can, and will, move forward. Acquiring an impact player is, perhaps, the goal, but it's not an 'at all costs' need.

The little I've picked up today indicates that a Hossa, for example, would probably not be available until this weekend at the earliest as Waddell is presumed to be making a last ditch effort to sign the star. Add to that the evaluation process Feaster is doing in Tampa regarding Richards and the bidding war and private talks that Fletcher must have with Sundin (another who is apparently wanted by Montreal - more on that in a moment) and it's obvious that Montreal's talks will go down fairly close to the wire.

As for the Sundin situation, I honestly wouldn't put that much stock in it. It's a possibility, but I just can't see Gainey actually sending useful parts for an absolute rental with no chance of retention - and that's the impression I get with Sundin; if he leaves the Leafs, he'll go back next year. Gainey hasn't operated that way in the past, and I don't see him doing that unless he feels Sundin is the missing part to truly put Montreal in contention for a Cup.

I honestly think Gainey would prefer to acquire someone he at least has a chance of retaining. Remember, the big picture is making the big effort to bring home the Cup in the franchise's 100th season. The 99th is a bonus, but next year is the jewel.

The Leafs are looking for 2 prospects and 2 picks. Gainey is kicking the tires and nothing more.

Why let the Leafs off the canvas? Why strengthen a team within your division at your expense? Do you think Gainey wants to see

a Grabovski, Paccioretty etc burn him for the next 10 years. They have to play the Leafs 6-8 times per year.

Plus what if Sundin did go back and they did not win the Cup?

It is a terrible fit and the only way it happens is if Gainey rapes Fletcher in the deal.

Actually, I don't get the impression that Sundin will go back to the Leafs necessarily...If he's dealt I think he's unlikely to go back to Toronto, if he's kept till season end I think he'll sign a cheap deal to stay and help them rebuild faster. Just my gut feel though...

Impact forwards who have some form of rumours swirling around them:

Hossa

Tanguay

Richards

Marleau

Sundin

Jagr

Havlat

Did I miss anyone?

With so many rumours about so many impact players I just can't see how teams will overpay as they did last year.

I also think it's clear that there is a lot of smoke and mirrors going on...you have to wonder how many teams that are "close" to making the playoffs are implying that guys are available just to tie up phone lines and drive down what some teams are asking...just to throw water on some of the fires and help improve their chances of making the playoffs without making any moves.

Actually, I don't get the impression that Sundin will go back to the Leafs necessarily...If he's dealt I think he's unlikely to go back to Toronto, if he's kept till season end I think he'll sign a cheap deal to stay and help them rebuild faster. Just my gut feel though...

Impact forwards who have some form of rumours swirling around them:

Hossa

Tanguay

Richards

Marleau

Sundin

Jagr

Havlat

Did I miss anyone?

With so many rumours about so many impact players I just can't see how teams will overpay as they did last year.

I also think it's clear that there is a lot of smoke and mirrors going on...you have to wonder how many teams that are "close" to making the playoffs are implying that guys are available just to tie up phone lines and drive down what some teams are asking...just to throw water on some of the fires and help improve their chances of making the playoffs without making any moves.

jokinen

The Leafs are looking for 2 prospects and 2 picks. Gainey is kicking the tires and nothing more.

hahahahahahahahahaha All I can say is good luck!

Any G.M. that pays that high of a price should be instantly replaced by our own BTH.......He may be young but has excellent hockey knowledge. :hockey:

Why let the Leafs off the canvas? Why strengthen a team within your division at your expense? Do you think Gainey wants to see

a Grabovski, Paccioretty etc burn him for the next 10 years. They have to play the Leafs 6-8 times per year.

Plus what if Sundin did go back and they did not win the Cup?

It is a terrible fit and the only way it happens is if Gainey rapes Fletcher in the deal.

2009 7th rounder, 2010 6th rounder, Duncan Milroy, and Corey Locke.

How about that?

hahahahahahahahahaha All I can say is good luck!

Any G.M. that pays that high of a price should be instantly replaced by our own BTH.......He may be young but has excellent hockey knowledge. :hockey:

*blushes*

Aw shucks. Though I think I would be lethal at the helm of the Leafs. I would strike an alliance with Gainey and empty out all their top prospects - then once I'm fired I would sign on with Montreal. :hlogo:

If we were to sign a top line centre, say Richards, where do you see Saku playing? The top line is not getting tampered with. The new guy would centre Ryder and Higgins I would suspect, as they are our next 2 best wingers at the moment. So he gets limited time with Lats and S Kots as a 4.5 mil 3rd line centre. Bit over paid, but good 3rd line.

Hopefully we also add a sniper wing man, or Ryder shoots like he did last game into June. I'd hate to part with Higgins yet, but I believe a couple of the above mention do play his wing. He could quickly end up 3rd line or be trade bait.

So we do

Huet for Richards. Risky but go with Halak and Price.

Ryder Stiet and pick for Hossa

Lines will be

A Kost Pleks Kov

Higgins Richards Hossa

S Kost Koivu Lats

Begin Lapierre/Smolinski Kostop/Dandy

That would work, now how shall we add a defenceman to improve there?

Offer up Jorges for Campbell, although I have liked his play more the last couple games, I prefer O'Byrne as a student d-man.

Easily done at home. When will something happen in the real world?

That's why I'd rather avoid Richards, Jokinen and Sundin - a first line centre isn't what we need need. It's someone to play with our 1st (/2nd) line centre. A RWer. That would immediately turn us into Cup contenders - though I'd still be sad losing Streit without re-signing Hossa at some point. (Yes, Streit is also a UFA at season's end, but if we don't trade him, you can bet he's going to re-sign with us).

That's why I'd rather avoid Richards, Jokinen and Sundin - a first line centre isn't what we need need. It's someone to play with our 1st (/2nd) line centre. A RWer. That would immediately turn us into Cup contenders - though I'd still be sad losing Streit without re-signing Hossa at some point. (Yes, Streit is also a UFA at season's end, but if we don't trade him, you can bet he's going to re-sign with us).

You really think if we add a new RW Higgins and Koivu will click?

Any team that Koivu is 1st line centre on won't make the cup as that would have to mean no depth. He isn't one of the top 30 in the league.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Well, now we're back to Tanguay. He is a credible longer-term Koivu replacement who can also play wing on Koivu's line.

In some ways, this is my preferred option, but that Hossa for Ryder/Streit deal isn't the sort of thing you turn your nose up at.

You really think if we add a new RW Higgins and Koivu will click?

Any team that Koivu is 1st line centre on won't make the cup as that would have to mean no depth. He isn't one of the top 30 in the league.

I don't expect them to click right away but I know that that will be a very talented line and that Hossa should be able to get his wingers going. Also, I kind of consider Plekanec our #1 centre now and Koivu our #2.

*blushes*

Aw shucks. Though I think I would be lethal at the helm of the Leafs. I would strike an alliance with Gainey and empty out all their top prospects - then once I'm fired I would sign on with Montreal. :hlogo:

You would be fired within a week because you could empty out their top prospects with 1 trade :lol:

Well, now we're back to Tanguay. He is a credible longer-term Koivu replacement who can also play wing on Koivu's line.

In some ways, this is my preferred option, but that Hossa for Ryder/Streit deal isn't the sort of thing you turn your nose up at.

He's a little streaky though. Plus he's a set-up guy. I do like him though. I am gonna start getting called Don Cherry, but I also like that he is Canadian. I like our team right now, but they are a little too Euro to win the cup. This trend could change, but it hasn't yet. For some reason, Canadian Captains and teams with high percentage of Canadians always win the cup.

Edited by BCHabnut

He's a little streaky though. Plus he's a set-up guy. I do like him though. I am gonna start getting called Don Cherry, but I also like that he is Canadian. I like our team right now, but they are a little too Euro to win the cup. This trend could change, but it hasn't yet. For some reason, Canadian Captains and teams with high percentage of Canadians always win the cup.

The Habs are a little too a lot of things to win the Cup, and Euro is pretty far down the list.

Europeans have only been in the NHL in any prominence for a bit over two decades, and it makes sense that since they are in the minority compared with North Americans they are the captains less often. So I don't buy the whole 'only Canadian/American captains win the Cup' blurb, because the circumstances just haven't come about yet for it to occur. And teams with high percentages of Canadians have won it recently, with Tampa, Carolina and Anaheim, but that isn't always the case and most Cup-winners before the lockout had several key Euros who they couldn't have done without.

Gainey has a press conference tomorrow at 10:45 am.

!!!!! I might wake up early for that! Or not.

*raps fingers on desk in anticipation*

The Habs are a little too a lot of things to win the Cup, and Euro is pretty far down the list.

Europeans have only been in the NHL in any prominence for a bit over two decades, and it makes sense that since they are in the minority compared with North Americans they are the captains less often. So I don't buy the whole 'only Canadian/American captains win the Cup' blurb, because the circumstances just haven't come about yet for it to occur. And teams with high percentages of Canadians have won it recently, with Tampa, Carolina and Anaheim, but that isn't always the case and most Cup-winners before the lockout had several key Euros who they couldn't have done without.

Can anybody say that Sundin is not a good leader? Alfreddson? Lidstrom?

Alfreddson was outstanding on his way to the Finals last year, but he can't play goal, he can't score for the second line,

he can't play Defense. If you look at the Finals the ones who disappeared were Heatley and Spezza, good ol Canadian boys.

Gainey has a press conference tomorrow at 10:45 am.

You think it is a state of the union, or are we going to have something interesting to talk about?

Who am I kidding, state of the union it is :(

All those words sound really nice and everything, but you can't argue with numbers and facts. What I said is based on numbers and facts, and I will stick to it until I see them change. 20 years is a long time to have Europeans in the game. The fact is Canadians are the best hockey players in the world. That's it period, end of story.

Here are some facts about pre 05-06 Tampa Stanley cup champs.

02-03 New Jersey Devils: 10 Canadians, 9 Americans, 4 Europeans. Captain (Scott Stevens)

01-02 Detroit Red Wings: 12 Canadians, 1 American, 10 Europeans. Captain (Steve Yzerman)

00-01 Colorado Avalanche: 13 Canadians, 3 Americans, 7 Europeans. Captain (Joe Sakic)

99-00 New Jersey Devils: 12 Canadians, 6 Americans, 5 Europeans. Captain (Scott Stevens)

I'm getting tired of looking for stats, but you need more North Americans on your team .

I'm not arguing that Europeans have helped the game, and play key roles, but facts are facts.

Edited by BCHabnut