Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I do not believe this for one second. It would represent a total and massive reversal of Gainey's entire philosophy. Plus it would be downright stupid. Most likely, Toronto's asking price was Higgins and picks. The Sun columnist, who apparently is not reliable anyway, likely got muddled two separate events. For instance: it's possible Fletcher asked if he would be willing, hypothetically, to waive his NTC to go to Montreal and Sundin said no; and it's possible that Fletcher asked for that package. In the mind of a hysterical Toronto columnist, the two combust into this headline:

SUNDIN REFUSED TO BE TRADED FOR HIGGINS, MONTREAL'S 1ST ROUND PICKS UNTIL 2047, PRICE, MARKOV, THE BELL CENTRE, SMOKED MEAT PETE, GAINEY'S DOWNTOWN CONDO AND PLACE VILLE MARIE !!!!!

Yup. That's what I was pretty much thinking! ;)

Edited by Habsfan

I do not believe this for one second. It would represent a total and massive reversal of Gainey's entire philosophy. Plus it would be downright stupid. Most likely, Toronto's asking price was Higgins and picks. The Sun columnist, who apparently is not reliable anyway, likely got muddled two separate events. For instance: it's possible Fletcher asked if he would be willing, hypothetically, to waive his NTC to go to Montreal and Sundin said no; and it's possible that Fletcher asked for that package. In the mind of a hysterical Toronto columnist, the two combust into this headline:

SUNDIN REFUSED TO BE TRADED FOR HIGGINS, MONTREAL'S 1ST ROUND PICKS UNTIL 2047, PRICE, MARKOV, THE BELL CENTRE, SMOKED MEAT PETE, GAINEY'S DOWNTOWN CONDO AND PLACE VILLE MARIE !!!!!

Steve Simmons is a hack. He is the guy who said Sundin's career was over last summer because his inside sources said

that his hip injury was degenerative and he could barely walk.

The Sun is essentially a tabloid newspaper. It also employed Al Strachan for a time.

Shock sells newspapers and gets Leaf fans all riled up.

Steve Simmons is a hack. He is the guy who said Sundin's career was over last summer because his inside sources said

that his hip injury was degenerative and he could barely walk.

The Sun is essentially a tabloid newspaper. It also employed Al Strachan for a time.

Shock sells newspapers and gets Leaf fans all riled up.

SO it was Steve Simmons who came up with this rumour. If that's the case than this rumour is just that, a rumour.

SO it was Steve Simmons who came up with this rumour. If that's the case than this rumour is just that, a rumour.

Yeah it was.

No way in hell would Gainey give that up for Sundin.

Haha, that's pretty much it. This is a ridiculous deal that Gainey would never do.

They probably also wanted permission to bang Carbo's wife.

I'm a bit skeptical about this supposed trade. Why would Gainey refuse to trade Higgins to Atlanta (in the Hossa deal) and then turn around and offer him to Toronto (the enemy)??? It just doesn't make any sense! Let's not Forget that there's no way in hell that Sundin would have re-signed in Montréal come July 1st. Bob knows this. At least with Hossa, the Habs have a chance at signing him come July 1st, but not with Sundin!

Personally I dont see whats so ridiculous aboot this "rumor" though.

Sundin is a C, Hossa is a winger. Which does the Habs need more? a high caliber C = Sundin, not Hossa.

Besides adding Hossa wouldnt have been a huge significant addition when the Habs are 2nd in goals overall to begin with. The Habs arent good at faceoffs. Scoring goals isnt the problem. Adding Hossa the Habs still would have the exact same problems they had before. Adding Sundin would have solved one of the Habs primary problems.

Hossa is a Lock Ness Monster in the playoffs and is a complete dud where Sundin is a playoff stud.

Have none of you looked at the Habs farm system? Do you really think loosing a 1st, 2nd, 3rd rnd picks would be the end of the world? The Habs have too many NHL ready prospects right now wasting away in the AHL. Giving up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd rnd picks would probably actually help the Habs because then they wouldnt have so many prospects dwindling in the AHL. The Habs are the 2nd best drafting team in the NHL right now so they have plently of youngsters already waiting to get a chance in the NHL. The Habs will eventually have a big problem of having too many prospects. That problem probably exists now. After all there are only so many NHL roster spots.

Personally I dont see whats so ridiculous aboot this "rumor" though.

Sundin is a C, Hossa is a winger. Which does the Habs need more? a high caliber C = Sundin, not Hossa.

Besides adding Hossa wouldnt have been a huge significant addition when the Habs are 2nd in goals overall to begin with. The Habs arent good at faceoffs. Scoring goals isnt the problem. Adding Hossa the Habs still would have the exact same problems they had before. Adding Sundin would have solved one of the Habs primary problems.

Hossa is a Lock Ness Monster in the playoffs and is a complete dud where Sundin is a playoff stud.

Have none of you looked at the Habs farm system? Do you really think loosing a 1st, 2nd, 3rd rnd picks would be the end of the world? The Habs have too many NHL ready prospects right now wasting away in the AHL. Giving up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd rnd picks would probably actually help the Habs because then they wouldnt have so many prospects dwindling in the AHL. The Habs are the 2nd best drafting team in the NHL right now so they have plently of youngsters already waiting to get a chance in the NHL. The Habs will eventually have a big problem of having too many prospects. That problem probably exists now. After all there are only so many NHL roster spots.

I agree that Sundin is the type of player that could put us ahead of the pack in the East, moreso than Hossa.

But the reason why this is an unreasonable rumour is that we're giving up three high draft picks and Higgins for a rental. We probably wouldn't have been able to resign him, and we'll watch Higgins score goals on us in the blue and white jersey for years, as well as the players picked (not that I have much faith in the Leafs' ability to draft well).

And having too many NHL ready prospects is never, ever a problem. We can always trade them down the road, preferably to someone who isn't our biggest rival in our division. Besides, we're not as overstocked as you seem to think. We have pretty many good young players coming up, but few of them, if any (besides Chips) could be called NHL ready this year or maybe even next year. We shouldn't count our chickens before they hatch. We'll likely be looking for a significant aquisition by trade or FA signing in the offseason, and our surplus of prospects should come in handy at that point. I don't want to be sending good players to Toronto for a few months of Sundin.

Well, it's probably conceivable that the Leafs wanted Higgins and a first rounder (I don't know about the 2nd and 3rd), there was obviously discussion between Gainey and Fletcher re Sundin, but it doesn't add up to a confirmed deal that was stopped only by Sundin saying no.

I agree that Sundin is the type of player that could put us ahead of the pack in the East, moreso than Hossa.

But the reason why this is an unreasonable rumour is that we're giving up three high draft picks and Higgins for a rental. We probably wouldn't have been able to resign him, and we'll watch Higgins score goals on us in the blue and white jersey for years, as well as the players picked (not that I have much faith in the Leafs' ability to draft well).

Agreed. Well said! :clap::clap::clap:

SUndin is a machine, and I'd love to see him in Montreal, but Like Neech said, Sundin would not have resigned in Montreal come July 1st. No doubt about it! So why give up Higgins for a guy who will play for you for about 3-4 months? The Habs will not win the cup this year, with or without Sundin.

Jacque Demers just mentioned the trade too on Off the Record. He didn't deny it, he chastised Sundin for not accepting the trade and coming to Montreal.

While I agree with everyone that the price of rentals is stupid and I am glad the trade didn't happen, the fact is that this does seem to be a realistic price for Sundin given some of the other trades. Look at the Hossa trade..

Personally I don't believe any rumour that has us trading Higgins for anything less

then a superstar whose rights we'll control for several years.

Just think about it for a second. If you trade Higgins who is Komisarek's best

friend you might also lose Komisarek who might want to join his friend when

he becomes a UFA.

Expect the Habs to sign Higgins and Komisarek to longterm deals at some point

next season :clap:

Jacque Demers just mentioned the trade too on Off the Record. He didn't deny it, he chastised Sundin for not accepting the trade and coming to Montreal.

While I agree with everyone that the price of rentals is stupid and I am glad the trade didn't happen, the fact is that this does seem to be a realistic price for Sundin given some of the other trades. Look at the Hossa trade..

Just because he didn't deny it doesn't mean it is true. When Gainey says something or Fletcher comes out and says we had a deal with Montreal for a roster player and 2-3 picks then it is nothing but typical Simmons bullshit.

Gainey has never operated in that manner, why would he now? Trading 3 picks (1st, 2nd, 3rd) when Timmons is turning 7th rounders into NHLers does not sound like a Gainey move, nor does trading one of his core which he said he would not do.

All for 15 regular season games and a one shot playoff run?

That package is very similar to the one he turned down from Atlanta in future impact. If he believed this was the year he would

have made a similar deal with somebody else.

If we are going to believe specualation we might as well speculate that Gainey made that same offer to Florida for Jokinnen and Martin turned it down

and countered with Higgins, A. Kostitsyn, 1st, 2nd and Halak and Gainey balked. If Higgins and a 3 picks is the cost for 30 games, what is the cost for a star who is signed to a 2-3 year deal? Is that fair to ask for? Does that make it feasible?

Sundin is a rental, Gainey has never paid a huge return for a rental. Maybe it is the price for a rental, but the price for a

Ferrari is $500,000 doesn't mean everybody who can afford one will pay that price.

Edited by Wamsley01

• 3 weeks later...

As A LIFETIME hABS FAN, I have become familiar with which sites to frequent for my Canadiens news, and which to stay away from. When the deadline came and went, I kniw Gainey wouldnt pursue Hossa, he is not a leader type, and still I hear the grumblings about Gainey wanting Sundin...because the Habs have been dying for a "Big Centre" for years. That rumour made me laugh, while size may be an issue, Sundin was not the answer, and from hearing we were to add Hoggins, a first, second and third round pick, I knew it just was not true. Maybe we can add a piece or two this off season, but we have done well so far, let it play its course.

• 3 weeks later...

I was speaking with a fellow Habs Fan an hour ago. Is it true that PJ Stock said something on CBC to Elliot Friedman about Kovalev and Koivu not liking each other and that's why Carbonneau has not played them together much over the last 3 years. Seems to me they were quite happy together after the goals and game. Anybody else hear or see that?

I was speaking with a fellow Habs Fan an hour ago. Is it true that PJ Stock said something on CBC to Elliot Friedman about Kovalev and Koivu not liking each other and that's why Carbonneau has not played them together much over the last 3 years. Seems to me they were quite happy together after the goals and game. Anybody else hear or see that?

This rumour is not new.

When Kovy first came to Montreal, he and Koivu weren't the best of friends. And that continued for a long time. WHy? i don't know? They probably didn't get off on the right foot... Kovy stole Koivu's thunder?? There could be many reasons!!

But this is no longer the case. Had it been, i don't think Carbo would've taken a chance of playing them together in such a crucial game!

I thik after last season, they decided to bury the hatchet and move forward.

This rumour is not new.

When Kovy first came to Montreal, he and Koivu weren't the best of friends. And that continued for a long time. WHy? i don't know? They probably didn't get off on the right foot... Kovy stole Koivu's thunder?? There could be many reasons!!

But this is no longer the case. Had it been, i don't think Carbo would've taken a chance of playing them together in such a crucial game!

I thik after last season, they decided to bury the hatchet and move forward.

I certainly hope so, because last nights 2 lines could be our answer to the Rangers or Pittsburgh. Also, seeing them playing together, celebrating goals, adds more to the 'leadership" the young guys need to look to.

Stock himself said that he doesn't know, he's just speculating that they probably don't get along to explain why they were never put together since Kovalev was acquired until now.

Friedman seemed dismissive of it, though.

Maybe they don't like eachother. It doesn't matter

These two have been proffessionals all year and they proved it on monday night.