Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I always liked him. I'd welcome him arms opened.

me too.

as for guerin, wherever he goes he'll have little impact.

I'm more for that! but i think the math is different than what u suggest... our cap space is at what 500k? which is roughly half of what's left of guerin's contract... and that would reduce the amount of salary having to be moved...I believe so

I think we're both wrong.

dlbalr, we summon you! :lol:

Listening to Bob on CBC last night it sure sounds like he is done.

I am a little disappointed but I no longer expect another trade.

well to be honest, he did two major moves last summer, additions to a team which finished 1st...

and when lang got injured, when we started slumping, he added Schneider... and we're back on the winning track.

so mess with it?

we're still fragile at center... but what tells you that trading e.g. Higgins + for Jokinen will make us better?

what if it makes us worse as a "team"? (just like the Canucks went on a 10 games losing streak after they got Sundin)

we'd be better on paper, but the chemistry that is starting to gel right now can be destroyed easily.

Must not forget that we're gonna get Latendresse and Tanguay for free pretty soon.

No slash on D'Agostini, but Tanguay is 10 times the player he is right now.

As for latendresse... hmm this is where it gets interesting. maybe he'll toss Kosto on the 4th line and stewart out of the lineup? maybe he'll toss pax out of the lineup (noooooo)

well to be honest, he did two major moves last summer, additions to a team which finished 1st...

and when lang got injured, when we started slumping, he added Schneider... and we're back on the winning track.

so mess with it?

we're still fragile at centre... but what tells you that trading e.g. Higgins + for Jokinen will make us better?

what if it makes us worse as a "team"? (just like the Canucks went on a 10 games losing streak after they got Sundin)

we'd be better on paper, but the chemistry that is starting to gel right now can be destroyed easily.

Must not forget that we're gonna get Latendresse and Tanguay for free pretty soon.

No slash on D'Agostini, but Tanguay is 10 times the player he is right now.

As for latendresse... hmm this is where it gets interesting. maybe he'll toss Kosto on the 4th line and stewart out of the lineup? maybe he'll toss pax out of the lineup (noooooo)

when he comes back I see guillaume with Lapierre and Kostopoulos. they were a great line together and I'm sure the coach will want to see if the chemistry is still there. If not, Guillaume could become an healthy scratch.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lats on his natural right wing with lapierre and Pacioretty. what a big line it would be :rolleyes:

Gui will take Stewart out of the lineup ideally. Where he plays isn't a huge concern for me at this point... let's wait the two weeks or more that it is until he comes back and see how our lines are functioning.

Did everyone forget how absolutely awful Guerin was as a rental two years ago for San Jose? And that was two years ago, when he was having a good season for St. Louis at the time. He's now two years older, is having a worse year and is still on a bottom feeder. This guy is a 3rd/4th liner at best on good teams at this point in his career. We have size at forward on our bottom 6 (only Metro is undersized). Our top 6 might use some improvement, but Guerin can't play there anymore.

If we make any move at all, I'm almost sure it'll be with Phoenix. They have the only three guys I'm really interested in:

Olli Jokinen: A chance to get a 90 point centre signed beyond this season at a cheap price. This is the move we've been waiting for. He'd instantly put us back in that top group of contenders that we were supposed to be among.

Derek Morris: We know Bob has been discussing him with the Yotes and he's now demanded a trade. With Komisarek and Hamrlik - our two best defensive defensemen - struggling (and we could even mention Gorges [and Bouillon's injury!]), we could really use a physical player like Morris. He'd give us a D corps to drool over and just give Carbo so many options. He'd be able to split the minutes on the back end more evenly. Shutdown defensemen almost always prove their worth in the playoffs when they're given specific assignments.

Steve Reinprecht: A third line C that can score 20 goals, not unlike our expectations for Bonk, Smolinski and Lang. This is another veteran that can replace a lot of what we lost with Lang's injury. He brings scoring depth, general depth and leadership. Wouldn't cost too much in a trade.

I say we make a blockbuster and pick up all three in one move. :B)

If we make any move at all, I'm almost sure it'll be with Phoenix. They have the only three guys I'm really interested in:

Olli Jokinen: A chance to get a 90 point centre signed beyond this season at a cheap price. This is the move we've been waiting for. He'd instantly put us back in that top group of contenders that we were supposed to be among.

Derek Morris: We know Bob has been discussing him with the Yotes and he's now demanded a trade. With Komisarek and Hamrlik - our two best defensive defensemen - struggling (and we could even mention Gorges [and Bouillon's injury!]), we could really use a physical player like Morris. He'd give us a D corps to drool over and just give Carbo so many options. He'd be able to split the minutes on the back end more evenly. Shutdown defensemen almost always prove their worth in the playoffs when they're given specific assignments.

I would love any and all these players in a habs jersey. Carbo and options with the D? Damn, he would probably start playing Komi as a forward if we got Morris.

Really :puke:

Apparently Morris won't waive his NTC to move to a team in the East, only the West.

The asking price for Jokinen is through the roof.

Guerin may not be the player he once was, but if people here really feel there's a leadership void, he's a great captain and the consumate leader. That he's waiving his NTC to be dealt to help his current team is pretty solid - dontcha think, Mr. Sundin? From what I've read, Gainey is lining up another trade to make the Guerin cap situation work.

I think we're both wrong.

dlbalr, we summon you! :lol:

I made a quick mention of our cap situation yesterday in the CBA FAQ thread - we can bring in somewhere between 1.2 and 1.5 mil (full season), the reason for the wide gap is that after seeing the numbers, I've found a couple of potential issues which explains my delay for posting it. In order to acquire Guerin (4.5), we'd have to send give or take 3.2 mil in return - 2 roster players. The rumour that I was told (and I'm now seeing it on the internet as well) is that the deal is for a high draft pick alone. That'd take the Habs right out of it, as no one really expects Gainey to deal his #1 for Guerin - unless another deal is done to facilitate it - but now that's just Eklund speak.

For anyone who wants to follow this:

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2009/02...in-off-the-ice/

This site's now suggesting it'd be a player swap - which could have the Habs in it.

I'm hoping to have something in my article later today outlining some more specific numbers - although no guarantees as since it's my annual trade deadline article, I'll be 4 hours into it before even getting to the financials.

I made a quick mention of our cap situation yesterday in the CBA FAQ thread - we can bring in somewhere between 1.2 and 1.5 mil (full season), the reason for the wide gap is that after seeing the numbers, I've found a couple of potential issues which explains my delay for posting it. In order to acquire Guerin (4.5), we'd have to send give or take 3.2 mil in return - 2 roster players. The rumour that I was told (and I'm now seeing it on the internet as well) is that the deal is for a high draft pick alone. That'd take the Habs right out of it, as no one really expects Gainey to deal his #1 for Guerin - unless another deal is done to facilitate it - but now that's just Eklund speak.

For anyone who wants to follow this:

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2009/02...in-off-the-ice/

This site's now suggesting it'd be a player swap - which could have the Habs in it.

I'm hoping to have something in my article later today outlining some more specific numbers - although no guarantees as since it's my annual trade deadline article, I'll be 4 hours into it before even getting to the financials.

Washington seems to have the LTIR space to add Guerin without financial issues, unless they're looking at doing two moves to improve their team and not just Guerin. Pierre Lebrun seemed to believe that the team was Washington by process of elimination (calling all GM's he could). This delay is intriguing, but I hope it's not true. I've been wrong on acquisitions before, but I don't like Guerin as a fit here, and I'm done with rentals on this squad.

Washington seems to have the LTIR space to add Guerin without financial issues, unless they're looking at doing two moves to improve their team and not just Guerin. Pierre Lebrun seemed to believe that the team was Washington by process of elimination (calling all GM's he could). This delay is intriguing, but I hope it's not true. I've been wrong on acquisitions before, but I don't like Guerin as a fit here, and I'm done with rentals on this squad.

Andy Strickland, one of the few HB writers I trust, says it's definitely not the Caps. For the record, my money's on NJ, they've got more than enough space and he's been there before (more inclined to waive his NTC).

Andy Strickland, one of the few HB writers I trust, says it's definitely not the Caps. For the record, my money's on NJ, they've got more than enough space and he's been there before (more inclined to waive his NTC).

That's where I'd put my money as well; though it seems Garth Snow has been playing this one for all its worth.

Steve Reinprecht: A third line C that can score 20 goals, not unlike our expectations for Bonk, Smolinski and Lang. This is another veteran that can replace a lot of what we lost with Lang's injury. He brings scoring depth, general depth and leadership. Wouldn't cost too much in a trade.

the only time he scored 20 goals was when he played in France during the lockout so, at 32 don't expect him to ever do so.

my money would be on the Pens, they have little to do to make him fit.

Guerin is not the best, but might be the best RW available at the deadline, so it's just logical for the Pens to get him (in addition to Kunitz) to be able to ice two decent lines.

anyhow, as far as I'm concerned, anyone is better than Miro Satan.

Am I crazy, dlbalr, or is there JUST ENOUGH cap space to acquire Jokinen if we traded them Higgins and Chipchura as part of the deal, and somehow dealt Dandy? I don't know if we'd be able to call up Janik or O'Byrne to be the 7th D in that situation, though. We'd only have a roster of 21 (assuming Tanguay is cleared) and only 6 D. Playing with fire w/r/t injuries, although Latendresse could be put on LTIR temporarily (and then Bouillon if he's out for 4 weeks as reported) for minor relief until he comes back (i.e. allow us to call up a 7th D if neccessary)...

Kosty - Plexo - Kovy

Tanguay - Jokinen - D'Ago

MaxPac - Koivu - Metro

Stewart/Laraque - Lapierre - Kostopo

Edited by saskhab

Am I crazy, dlbalr, or is there JUST ENOUGH cap space to acquire Jokinen if we traded them Higgins and Chipchura as part of the deal, and somehow dealt Dandy? I don't know if we'd be able to call up Janik or O'Byrne to be the 7th D in that situation, though. We'd only have a roster of 21 (assuming Tanguay is cleared) and only 6 D. Playing with fire w/r/t injuries, although Latendresse could be put on LTIR temporarily (and then Bouillon if he's out for 4 weeks as reported) for minor relief until he comes back (i.e. allow us to call up a 7th D if neccessary)...

Kosty - Plexo - Kovy

Tanguay - Jokinen - D'Ago

MaxPac - Koivu - Metro

Stewart/Laraque - Lapierre - Kostopo

I wouldn't say it's crazy. Jokinen makes 5.25, while Higgins and Chipchura make a combined 2,642,800, a difference of 2,607,200. Take off Dandenault's 1.75, and there's less than a million difference, well within the 1.2-1.5 range I mentioned earlier (a more detailed look shows that it may be 1.6 even).

Also, seems as O'Byrne suffered a concussion last night, so he may not be up for a while (as I read, looks as if as many as 3 Bulldogs got hurt in last night's embarassing loss...)

the only time he scored 20 goals was when he played in France during the lockout so, at 32 don't expect him to ever do so.

It really makes no difference. He's as good a replacement for Lang as you can find.

Looks as if O'Byrne was supposed to rejoin the Habs after last night's game vs the Marlies, but a concussion spelled the end of that. Let the rampant speculation of what could have happened begin...

Defenceman Ryan O’Byrne, who was going to be called up to the Montreal Canadiens after the game, left in the first period after a head-to-head collision with Andre Deveaux of the Marlies.

http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/522538

They are saying Guerin will move for a high draft pick so that takes us out of it. I bet it's Washington. I don't want him anyway. We need a bigger impact move.

there is probably a team stupid enough to give a high asset for his services.

Looks as if O'Byrne was supposed to rejoin the Habs after last night's game vs the Marlies, but a concussion spelled the end of that. Let the rampant speculation of what could have happened begin...

Defenceman Ryan O’Byrne, who was going to be called up to the Montreal Canadiens after the game, left in the first period after a head-to-head collision with Andre Deveaux of the Marlies.

Did we need a defenseman called up?

Can Deveaux be more a dick that he is right now ??