Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Lunong has never made it any further then Price in the Playoffs. Why is he a Stud and Price a Dud? I'll take the 21 year old and hope BG can do something to address the rest of the roster.

More Speed

Better Defensemen

A couple of Actual top 6 forwards and a centerman who can actually produce

Good coaching staff heavy on the D zone.

Goaltending is last on the list of things they need.

The drop off between Price as a prospect and Cory Schneider as one isn't that great. If Vancouver were to move Luongo (an enormous if), they'd probably want to imporve the team in front of their own young goalie. Cam Cole, the Vancouver Sun reporter who propsed this idea, is way out to lunch with this half-baked idea.

And Vancouver fans and media rip on their goalies second only to Montreal in terms of ridiculousness. Although they've had better reason to do so (they've had mediocre to bad goaltending for their entire existence, save Mclean and possibly Brodeur who were both above average to good in their tenure, but not great), they're programmed to rip their goalie when the slightest thing doesn't go their way. Just like how we are trained to expect greatness out of every one of our goalies, and can't accept anything but. For both Motnreal and Vancouver fans... it's always about the goalie. Philly is the same way as well.

I am a huge Loungo fan, but he could have made a difference in that series. I don't blame him for the loss,

but that team was good enough to get to the Conference Finals and in his prime I expected that he would have the

ability to turn the tide in a close series.

He had a 1-0 lead in game 4 and could not deny Havlat and lost in OT and he also had 2 3rd periods leads in Game 6

with a chance to bury the young Hawks. He never stepped up and made the save that could turn the tide, a save like

Ward made of Ribeiro and Zednik in 2006, or the save that Theo made of Guerin in 2002.

I was really disappointed in his playoff. It happens, but Loungo is going to need to take a series before he earns the nod

as the best goalie in the league, a title I believe belongs to Cam Ward right now.

As for trading Price for Loungo, not at that Price giving up close to 10 years.

I am a huge Loungo fan, but he could have made a difference in that series. I don't blame him for the loss,

but that team was good enough to get to the Conference Finals and in his prime I expected that he would have the

ability to turn the tide in a close series.

He had a 1-0 lead in game 4 and could not deny Havlat and lost in OT and he also had 2 3rd periods leads in Game 6

with a chance to bury the young Hawks. He never stepped up and made the save that could turn the tide, a save like

Ward made of Ribeiro and Zednik in 2006, or the save that Theo made of Guerin in 2002.

I was really disappointed in his playoff. It happens, but Loungo is going to need to take a series before he earns the nod

as the best goalie in the league, a title I believe belongs to Cam Ward right now.

As for trading Price for Loungo, not at that Price giving up close to 10 years.

Luongo is only 30. I'd say he could still be dominant until he's 38, 39. I'd trade Price for him anytime... unless there's no better deals in which to use Price as a trading asset. 

Though, as much as I've grown to dislike Price this season for various good (overall poor attitude and judgement) and petty reasons (can't stand to look at that fugly country mask already), I think he's still the Habs biggest asset with the highest long-term upside. He's the only player the Habs have that can be considered somewhat franchise. So I'd be extra careful before moving him at all. Luongo recently had a bad streak of injuries, personnal issues, up and down performances. Not really a step up from the Carey Show when you think about it.   

I agree that the respective ages of these players is relevant. But one thing nobody's mentioning is that there's no guarantee that Price will re-sign with us when he becomes a UFA. Certainly if he keeps getting booed, he will be gone. Add to that the lingering doubts about Gainey's ability to lock up core talent long-term (c.f. Komisarek, a major player we apparently stand to lose just as he enters his prime) and there is at least some room for doubt whether Price's age matters much. I don't know when he becomes a UFA, but say it's at 27. That means we'd get another 6 years out of him. Which is as much as we'd likely get out of Luongo.

Look at it that way, suddenly the deal starts to look more interesting.

The real reason for not trading Price for Luongo is the cap. As long as Price is cheaper than Louie, he leaves us cap room to add talent elsewhere. So you're best off gambling that he can eventually play like Luongo, at a discount, than sacrificing the cap space.

Luongo is only 30. I'd say he could still be dominant until he's 38, 39. I'd trade Price for him anytime... unless there's no better deals in which to use Price as a trading asset.

BY the time a goalie hits 34, he is usually on the decline. I'm sorry, but Luongo hasn't done anything exceptionnal, and I'd rather keep Carey who is 9 years younger and has the potential to be as good, if not better that Luongo!

BY the time a goalie hits 34, he is usually on the decline. I'm sorry, but Luongo hasn't done anything exceptionnal, and I'd rather keep Carey who is 9 years younger and has the potential to be as good, if not better that Luongo!

Loungo can still be a strong goaltender for 10 years, but the way the NHL works you will be paying

a premium NHL price for the back half of his prime and his latter years, that is not the way you win

in the new NHL.

Price will not get $7M per season for another 5-6 years, and if he does perform that that level, then

why not have the 25 year old making $7M per than the 30-35 year old.

It all comes down to whether you feel Price is going to be an elite goaltender, if you do not, then you

pull the trigger on the deal, if you think he will be, you don't.

I agree that the respective ages of these players is relevant. But one thing nobody's mentioning is that there's no guarantee that Price will re-sign with us when he becomes a UFA. Certainly if he keeps getting booed, he will be gone. Add to that the lingering doubts about Gainey's ability to lock up core talent long-term (c.f. Komisarek, a major player we apparently stand to lose just as he enters his prime) and there is at least some room for doubt whether Price's age matters much. I don't know when he becomes a UFA, but say it's at 27. That means we'd get another 6 years out of him. Which is as much as we'd likely get out of Luongo.

Look at it that way, suddenly the deal starts to look more interesting.

The real reason for not trading Price for Luongo is the cap. As long as Price is cheaper than Louie, he leaves us cap room to add talent elsewhere. So you're best off gambling that he can eventually play like Luongo, at a discount, than sacrificing the cap space.

I think that we're making too much out of Price being booed. Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle were booed in The Bronx. It tends to happen in cities that are "tough" to play in. Price did nothing in the playoffs, not even steal a game, but I'd say that wasn't even the reason for the booing. I feel it was directed at Bob Gainey. Bob made two important decisions that both seemed to backfire. He fired Guy, a move I liked, and he kept his man Price in net, and we got swept. Also, if Carey keeps getting booed in the years to come, then we've got problems anyway, because he won't be performing up to expectations.

I think that we're making too much out of Price being booed. Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle were booed in The Bronx. It tends to happen in cities that are "tough" to play in. Price did nothing in the playoffs, not even steal a game, but I'd say that wasn't even the reason for the booing. I feel it was directed at Bob Gainey. Bob made two important decisions that both seemed to backfire. He fired Guy, a move I liked, and he kept his man Price in net, and we got swept. Also, if Carey keeps getting booed in the years to come, then we've got problems anyway, because he won't be performing up to expectations.

They were booing at him because they have no idea what happened.

So they turn their anger towards the kid who is SUPPOSED to be the next Roy.

I am fine with booing, but boo the right person. If Mickey Mantle strikes out with the bases loaded

then I can understand the booing, but you don't boo the catcher because the pitcher can't throw strikes.

If the fans decided to boo the TEAM off the ice, I would have been fine with that. But booing a kid

and not the 19 others who were stiffing all over the ice is ridiculous and were the actions of a fanbase who

is acting like a petulant child who did not get what they wanted.

There were no games to be stolen, the Habs got owned and they had the lead for 23 minutes out of 240,

they were only tied for 70 minutes in 4 games and the majority of that was before the first goal was scored.

That was a destruction, no goalie steals a game in that scenario.

I agree completely. I wasn't defending the booing. We didn't get swept because of goaltending. I just feel that it wasn't all anti Carey Price.

THN saying Beauchemin maybe interested in coming back to us?

"Another Duck who could end up playing elsewhere is Francois Beauchemin, who was told by Murray he wouldn’t receive a contract offer until Scott Niedermayer’s situation is resolved.

Beauchemin suggested if he hits the free agent market he’d be willing to consider returning to the Montreal Canadiens – the team that drafted him, but lost the blueliner via waivers several years ago.

If the Canadiens lose Mike Komisarek to free agency they’ll certainly be in the market for a physical shutdown defenseman and Beauchemin fits the bill nicely."

From Habs fan Lyle Richardson's rumours column. I'd wondered a few days back if Beauchemin would consider us, thinking about losing Komisarek. Richardson is usually quick to shoot down every rumour and generally no fun, so maybe this has some truth - though 'willing to consider' is hardly coming back.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/2638...n-exposure.html

Edited by tokyohabs

A Komisarek-Beauchemin swap would be a downgrade but not a massive one. Our D has talent, they need to get a clue (D coach [--> Larry Robinson]). Even with Beauchemin, we would have one of the best D's in the East on paper.

It would also save us the usual money to not get a #1 centre.

A Komisarek-Beauchemin swap would be a downgrade but not a massive one. Our D has talent, they need to get a clue (D coach [--> Larry Robinson]). Even with Beauchemin, we would have one of the best D's in the East on paper.

Priority.

I miss Vinny Damphousse.

I miss Bobby Smith.

Would you rather spend $6M per on Komisarek or $4M per on Beauchemin?

Komi won't get $6M, no way.

Why not have both of them?

It wouldn't surprise me if he gets over $6M, given the propensity of GMs to overspend. Sean Avery got $4.5M last year.

Komi won't get $6M, no way.

Why not have both of them?

Wade Redden got $6.5M last season. The Isles have only $32M committed next season, it is not

out of the realm of possibility that Komisarek gets HUGE $$.

I'll say no way he gets that kind of money. He'll get 4.5 tops. If someone signs him for more then they are getting ripped off.

If he gets 6mill, what does Boumeeester get, 10-12mill.

I would be disappointed if the habs give him more then 4. He is a stay at home defenseman who came off a horrible year.

I'll say no way he gets that kind of money. He'll get 4.5 tops. If someone signs him for more then they are getting ripped off.

If he gets 6mill, what does Boumeeester get, 10-12mill.

I would be disappointed if the habs give him more then 4. He is a stay at home defenseman who came off a horrible year.

Since when is free agency about fair market value?

You guys act like players don't get overpaid EVERY off season.

Is Briere a 6.5M player? Is Gomez a 7.35M player? Is Drury a 7M player? Is Smyth a 6M player?

On and on and on the list goes.

If Komisarek leaves for 4.5M, then Gainey really ######ed up. He will get more if he hits July 1st

It wouldn't surprise me if he gets over $6M, given the propensity of GMs to overspend. Sean Avery got $4.5M last year.

Last year Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac were fully healthy financial beings.

This year, they are near death.

There is no way Komi gets 6M. I'd even go as far as to say that Jay Bo might get no more than 6M

Last year Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac were fully healthy financial beings.

This year, they are near death.

There is no way Komi gets 6M. I'd even go as far as to say that Jay Bo might get no more than 6M

So, all it takes is ONE team to want a player. Game over. Look at Redden, who else bid over $5M for him?

He ends up with over $6M.

I will be you anything that you would have bet your life on Redden not getting 5 years @ 6.5M.

Never underestimate the stupidity of GMs in the NHL.