Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Why Frolov? He is a soft perimeter player just like pleks, Akosty. The only king i'd be interested in is Brown. Big, tough, plays around the net. I don't see any trade that doesn't bring a centre back.

Pleks my butt!! That is as good as our last captain, the guy most of you think walks on water, put up in his best year ever!!!!

Ok, he did better once, by 4 pnts, but was a minus 21 that year, so I don't count that for much.

And Frolov was also a minus player with 71 points. Plex only scored 4 less points from the perimeter just like Frolov does.... and both are 2 years removed from their best seasons. :puke:

Edited by Habitforming

If i were BG... I would forget about Frolov. Montreal needs to get bigger and tougher up the middle. I would go after Marleau for Plekanec and Halak, which i think helps both teams, SJ needs to reduce salary and add a second line centre and a backup up goaltender.

OR

I would trade A.Kotstitsyn for Jordon Stall. Montreal needs a big centre and Pittsburg needs a goal scoring winger. I think this helps both teams as it addresses a need for both teams, plus the salaries are the same.

As for the cap... Montreal could always send down Laraque and Metropolit to the minors and save 2.5 million.

It's funny how everyone says how we should have keep Koivu and Kovalev but's just keep in mind, that the guys we got are younger, healthier and played for coaches that stress a team, puck possession system. Lou and Sutter in NJ, Keanan in Calgary, Torts and Renney in NY.

Considering Marleau won't waive his NTC to come to Montreal, can't see that one happening.

Pens won't take just A. Kostitsyn for Staal, and the salaries are not the same, $750,000 is actually a noteworthy difference. Not to mention the significant difference in term of deal.

And Laraque can't be sent to the minors if he's hurt, which he apparently is.

In actual rumour news, Grier to the Habs apparently is picking up some steam once more according to one person at least.

yeah well, now that Zherdev is available, I'd take a flyer on him rather than pay (in players) for Frolov

yes, Frolov is better and more consistent/experienced than Zherdev. but Zherdev is a UFA.

But you'd still have to pay in terms of players to fit him under the cap though. It's essentially the same thing, and Zherdev will have a higher salary than Frolov.

Fresh rumour. The plus/minus stat in hockey is going to be discontinued as it's being considered the most useless stat in all of sports.

EDIT: May be replaced by an Error stat. Goalie allows a beach ball in? E1. (Sorry, Ek, this is REAL work here.) Defender passes the puck to the opposition in the slot, E2 or 3 (depending on his side). At least assigning blame makes SOME sense. But when a guy steps over the boards to start a shift and there's a goal that had nothing to do with him?

Most useless stat ever.

'Nuff said.

Edited by Colin

But you'd still have to pay in terms of players to fit him under the cap though. It's essentially the same thing, and Zherdev will have a higher salary than Frolov.

bah, at this point, you can start juggling with players again.

trade hamr, d'ago, 2x kost, plex, etc.

see, what is important to remember about UFAs, is that you can sign them, then trade them two years later for a top prospect dman (Gomez trade)

bah, at this point, you can start juggling with players again.

trade hamr, d'ago, 2x kost, plex, etc.

see, what is important to remember about UFAs, is that you can sign them, then trade them two years later for a top prospect dman (Gomez trade)

But you're already doing that with Frolov, and you even said Frolov's the better player. I don't see the point. If you're already going to be dealing those players, why not take the better of the 2?

For the record, I'm skeptical there's anything going on with Frolov, and Zherdev is just a younger, more frustrating version of Kovalev. I can't see the Habs jumping on his bandwagon.

But you're already doing that with Frolov, and you even said Frolov's the better player. I don't see the point. If you're already going to be dealing those players, why not take the better of the 2?

For the record, I'm skeptical there's anything going on with Frolov, and Zherdev is just a younger, more frustrating version of Kovalev. I can't see the Habs jumping on his bandwagon.

oh, that's why then that my HWL team is stacked and yours isn't ;)

:lol: (jk)

I can certainly understand Gainey sniffing around to see if he can make the team better. But I am the only one who rather likes the team we've got? Nice mix of talented vets and young players with something to prove (Kostitsyns, Pleks, Price). Bob has already fire-bombed the roster to an extent almost unprecedented in NHL history. Perhaps prudence is now the best path. Let's see how the kids flourish under Martin's tutleage before shipping them out of town, no?

I can certainly understand Gainey sniffing around to see if he can make the team better. But I am the only one who rather likes the team we've got? Nice mix of talented vets and young players with something to prove (Kostitsyns, Pleks, Price). Bob has already fire-bombed the roster to an extent almost unprecedented in NHL history. Perhaps prudence is now the best path. Let's see how the kids flourish under Martin's tutleage before shipping them out of town, no?

Buy this man a beer. :clap:

The only change I think is really worth doing is upgrading Plekanec for a guy like Marleau (even if it's at the cost of dumping Hamrlik and giving Halak as a throw in)

You may want to "throw in" someone else.... If Price takes his time to get back to his pre-All Star game form, Halak is the only other NHL-calibre goalie we have in the system (I haven't seen Curtis Sanford play much, what I have seen didn't impress me) and has a cap friendly contract on a team that could use more of those. I'm with CC, sit tight, take this roster for a spin, we may like the results....Plekanec included.

The only change I think is really worth doing is upgrading Plekanec for a guy like Marleau (even if it's at the cost of dumping Hamrlik and giving Halak as a throw in)

Understandable...but losing Hammer amounts to a major change in the defence corps and leaves a gaping hole in the top-4. Aren't you as sick as I am of the Habs 'needing a fourth defenceman'? Given that a Pleks replacement will likely be much more expensive AND involve sacrificing other major roster players (or prospects), I personally would rather take a chance on Pleks for now. Only if he is still a disaster by, say, December, do I really start scouring the league for a replacement.

Understandable...but losing Hammer amounts to a major change in the defence corps and leaves a gaping hole in the top-4. Aren't you as sick as I am of the Habs 'needing a fourth defenceman'? Given that a Pleks replacement will likely be much more expensive AND involve sacrificing other major roster players (or prospects), I personally would rather take a chance on Pleks for now. Only if he is still a disaster by, say, December, do I really start scouring the league for a replacement.

I have faith in Mara as a #3.

I have faith in Mara as a #3.

Markov-Mara

Spacek-Gorges

Gorges as #4? It was dodgy last season and presumably would be just as dodgy this season.

Weber as #4? Hoo boy, that's a collossal risk to take on a totally unproven kid.

Gill as #4? Unwise at his age, and he wasn't signed for that.

Compare these scenarios to

Markov-Mara

Spacek-Hamrlik

Looks a TON better to me. Hammer is better than Gorges straight up, and this alignment also gives us depth, such that in case of injuries Gorges, who CAN function well as a 4th D-man for limited periods of time, can step into the breach should one of the top-4 go down. The last thing we need is another shaky defensive corps in front of Price.

Yes, he's overpaid. But unless I have a replacement in mind who isn't already on the club (Marc-Andre Bergeron is the only thing I can see out there who is both cheap and credible, but he's notoriously soft and erratic in his own end), I don't trade Hammer.

they call it big 3.

not big 4.

at some point we had Dandenault as #4, at some other moment we had Bouillon.

I think that Gorges, Gill and whoever goes in at #6 (weber, subban, NOT O'Byrne) is more than adequate bottom 3

I would add :

who was #4 in NJ, Ana, Det when they won the cup?

I found some questionable ones :

Commodore (Car)

Lebda (Det)

O'donnel (Ana)

Scuderi got known because of his important role as a #4, but was "nothing" before the cup.

Plekanec hasn't proven himself as a consistent #2 centre, but he's definitely good enough to try out for the spot. It is a WINGER that we need. Unless you want Pacioretty, D'Agostini or Sergei Kostitsyn starting the season on one of the top two lines? We have been rushing our prospects lately. That doesn't just mean that we allowed them to make the NHL at an early age, it also means that we've been putting them in positions that were over their heads. Cheechoo (or even Grier? lol) is a better option than D'Agostini on an offensive line IMO.

In answer to the popular counter-argument that young players develop more when they have more ice time, I think Dags will develop better playing on a 3rd or 4th line (or even as a spare forward) than while being schooled on the 1st line. Let players earn their spots on the roster. With experience, they'll move up the depth chart.

and obviously he can't learn or improve. so lets take him out and shoot him, shall we. Ridiculous comment based on that there are a whole bunch of nhl'ers who you would throw away. ever heard the term late Bloomer? what about all the guys who were goal scoring wizzs and turned into defensive forwards, like Guy Carboneau for instance. Stats are for losers, when you compare other levels to the nhl. He is not over rated but he probably ain't guy lafleur either, oh yeah even he did not do so good his first years.

That's right, it's ridiculous to think a guy who has been a consistent 20 goal scorer at every level will be at best a 20 scorer. At the junior level these guys get more ice time against lesser opponents. It would make perfect sense that less icetime against a higher level of competetion would mean far greater offensive numbers. All those examples you gave-like Mario Lemieux, Gretztky, Crosby-who were all 20 goal scores at the junior and AHL level totally proved your point. He's not a late bloomer, he's putting up the kind of numbers you would expect. Guy Carbonneau would proove the argument I would make: guys do not become better scorers at the NHL level than they do at the junior level. Some people's assessments of the scoring ability and skill of players like Max Laperriere and D'Agostini is unrealistic. I never said D'ago stunk or that i would give him away for nothing.

Edited by yorickbrown