Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Yes, because the habs need 1 more old, slow defenseman who can't move the puck. That is exactly what the Dr. ordered. He could come back and coach the D, i'd be happy with that.

The other Ek rumor is Carolina and another team may be interested in the Kosty bro's.

Whitney from the Canes coming back.

Please don't shoot the messanger.

Yes, because the habs need 1 more old, slow defenseman who can't move the puck. That is exactly what the Dr. ordered. He could come back and coach the D, i'd be happy with that.

The other Ek rumor is Carolina and another team may be interested in the Kosty bro's.

Whitney from the Canes coming back.

Please don't shoot the messanger.

Wow...great short-term, horrible long-term deal, rather like most of those bob made last season. Such deals are excusable when you're expected to contend and are "going for it," but to do that now - trade promising youth for elderly help - would be abysmal. But it's Eklund, so who cares.

Did anyone else notice Brian Burke talking with Bob Gainey at the Leafs/Habs game last Saturday? And did you also notice that Burke was at the Habs/Bruins game on Thursday?

Now one of my Leafs friends says that Burke is looking to move Kaberle. Wouldn't he look good in a Habs uniform! If this speculation is anywhere near true, I would say Kostistyn and someone else for Kaberle.

Now I haven't heard this anywhere else. This is purely *my* speculation emanating from a cold-wracked brain (it *is* November in Canada) that I suspect has way too much idle time.

But getting Kaberle would be just the thing for our depleted defensive core... and Toronto needs scoring.

Interesting theory, but the Kosty's are girls, and I don't see them fitting the "truculence" that Burke loves. I see them more as the "hissy fit" kind.

Agreed. But Burke did sign Kessel and he certainly is not a truculent player...

Does acquiring Kaberle make sense given cap restraints?

If so, then it seems like a no-brainer except for one thing - Kaberle is 31. This means that his career will be winding down about the time the Kostitysns enter their prime. Not saying this would make it a bad deal, just that it makes the Laffs younger and us older; it could look awful in five years.

It would also leave us short yet another top-6 forward. On the other hand, with Markov back our D could be the class of the Conference except for Philly.

And I can't believe Jerke can't get more than the Kostityns back.

Does acquiring Kaberle make sense given cap restraints?

If so, then it seems like a no-brainer except for one thing - Kaberle is 31. This means that his career will be winding down about the time the Kostitysns enter their prime. Not saying this would make it a bad deal, just that it makes the Laffs younger and us older; it could look awful in five years.

It would also leave us short yet another top-6 forward. On the other hand, with Markov back our D could be the class of the Conference except for Philly.

And I can't believe Jerke can't get more than the Kostityns back.

Long term (i.e. when Markov is back), we need wingers for the second line.

What pisses me off is why are the Kostitsyn brothers the whipping boys for Martin and trade rumours??? Lats and Laps have sucked this year, put on another pathetic effort tonight. ANd why in the hell is Bergeron getting as many minutes as he does. Outside of the powerplay, I'd rather be playing Carle, Belle, or even giving a look at Leach before letting Bergeron take a regular shift on the blue line. He makes Brisbois look like Doug Harvey!

We will be getting Markov, O'byrne and the over-sized Pylon back, but we really need to get some guys to play with Pleks - or in my opinion for Gomez (why Martin doesn't reward Pleks with Gionta and Cammeleri is beyond me).

I think Pax should be sent down - he has been playing better, but he needs to get confidence as a goal scorer, in the bigs he is playing a 3rd/4th line role.

We are a team full of 3rd/4th line wingers and need secondary scoring over anything.

Long term (i.e. when Markov is back), we need wingers for the second line.

What pisses me off is why are the Kostitsyn brothers the whipping boys for Martin and trade rumours??? Lats and Laps have sucked this year, put on another pathetic effort tonight. ANd why in the hell is Bergeron getting as many minutes as he does. Outside of the powerplay, I'd rather be playing Carle, Belle, or even giving a look at Leach before letting Bergeron take a regular shift on the blue line. He makes Brisbois look like Doug Harvey!

We will be getting Markov, O'byrne and the over-sized Pylon back, but we really need to get some guys to play with Pleks - or in my opinion for Gomez (why Martin doesn't reward Pleks with Gionta and Cammeleri is beyond me).

I think Pax should be sent down - he has been playing better, but he needs to get confidence as a goal scorer, in the bigs he is playing a 3rd/4th line role.

We are a team full of 3rd/4th line wingers and need secondary scoring over anything.

It all depends. Markov alone probably amounts to an extra goal every two games - and hey presto, suddenly, our secondary scoring looks better. You can work from the "blueline out" philosophy that says that awesome defencemen make everyone, the whole team, better. I think Markov + Kaberle are the offensive equivalent of adding at least one elite top-6 forward.

Not saying that that means we wouldn't have a problem on the wings, though. Indeed, if I acquired Kaberle I'd immediately start looking to move Spacek for a Higgins-like forward, somebody who can at least credibly play in a top-6 slot. Easier said than done, natch.

As for your question, I think Lats and Laps deserve to be way ahead of the Kostityns in the coaches' good books. They have, over the years, proven themselves to be dedicated workers and team players...just the opposite of the Belarussan Beauties. Beyond that, the coach can't be at war with everybody. He obviously identified Sergei as a bad apple from Day One. We have to trust his judgement.

I'm one who thinks that they've made their point with Sergei. He's been rotting away and watching others get called up for a good stretch of time. It gets silly to deprive yourself of a player who at least has the potential to be tolerably productive just to continue teaching him a lesson.

I'm one who thinks that they've made their point with Sergei. He's been rotting away and watching others get called up for a good stretch of time. It gets silly to deprive yourself of a player who at least has the potential to be tolerably productive just to continue teaching him a lesson.

Agreed, he should have been weeks ago, if he can help, let him help. I'd certainly play him over a guy like Stewart.

Agreed, he should have been weeks ago, if he can help, let him help. I'd certainly play him over a guy like Stewart.

Absolutely. And with the strange, miscast tryouts on the 1st and 2nd lines, it's become apparently that we need someone with talent up there. Time to give Sergei a shot.

Absolutely. And with the strange, miscast tryouts on the 1st and 2nd lines, it's become apparently that we need someone with talent up there. Time to give Sergei a shot.

The one thing the organization wants to do I think is reward players who are playing well in Hamilton, hence White and Pyatt getting the nod a couple weeks ago. Sergei Kostitsyn's performance in Hamilton is the exact opposite - he has 1 goal in the last 10 games essentially as one of the go-to guys since everyone in Hamilton is either hurt or on recall. Couple that with the whining he's done and there is no reason whatsoever to bring him up anytime soon. Maxwell and Trotter are both playing well at the moment, if they opt to call someone up, I'm hoping it's one of those 2. They at least have earned a shot right now.

The one thing the organization wants to do I think is reward players who are playing well in Hamilton, hence White and Pyatt getting the nod a couple weeks ago. Sergei Kostitsyn's performance in Hamilton is the exact opposite - he has 1 goal in the last 10 games essentially as one of the go-to guys since everyone in Hamilton is either hurt or on recall. Couple that with the whining he's done and there is no reason whatsoever to bring him up anytime soon. Maxwell and Trotter are both playing well at the moment, if they opt to call someone up, I'm hoping it's one of those 2. They at least have earned a shot right now.

Fair enough. I just don't want to see grinders getting regular minutes on the top lines. I'm a strong believer in people earning their ice-time, but at this point, I'd like to see Sergei get shot. He might not be the model Martinesqe player, but in my opinion, he's got more talent than anyone else in Hamilton. Ideally, I'd like to see him rise to the challenge, and set out to prove a point on the top lines... as slim as the odds are of that actually happening.

Unfortunately, you're completely justified in saying he hasn't earned his shot, and if he's not a threat in the A, who's to say he'll excel in the NHL. I just want Montreal to be more of a threat offensively, and I think Sergei is a good possibility. Maybe Maxwell or Trotter is the answer, but I'm not confident that they are.