Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Hab29retired, I for one am not offended by the length of detail and information you present, and I do enjoy reading your posts. I don’t always agree entirely on all of your issues, but close enough to give pause for more thought. Perhaps this is because I also am retired and search daily for information from a number of sites giving exposure to different views . . .my problem is retaining it all.

In your Dec 24th post . . . “I have no preference right now between Halak and Price, but don't want to make a move right now when we don't have to. I wouldn't mind a move packaging Halak or Price if it allows us to pick up another centre, IF the centre we include is Gomez, but I don't want to move Pleks and Halak and regret both moves.

.If i'm in Gainey's position, I would sign Pleks and find a way to unload Gomez's salary, even if it means eating it in the minors (NJ has used this approach masterfully to get out of their bad signings).

I would wait and let Halak and Price fight it out until the end of the year. As i've said, the only way I'd move Halak is if I could dump a salary like Gomez and bring in another centre or a stud D-man. “

As I read all this opposition towards Gomez, it appears too be just his cap hit, His signing brought us Cammalleri and Gionta. Gainey is not going to dump Gomez, at least not for a couple of years. Should Gainey get fired, that might change.

Have to agree 100% on signing Plekanec. There is no one available from a trade or UFA pick-up that can do all he does. Again, I would front load a seven year contact and have him signed by mid-January. With his confidence issues the later we wait, he could be tempted to test the UFA market feeling he is not wanted. Gainey made the Exception in signing Koivu in mid-season. Plekanec is without question a player that should get the same ‘exception’.

I on the other hand would not wait too much longer re; Halak – Price . I would trade Price while he still has value to return a real scoring winger to bring two solid scoring threats. Should Price falter as he did last season, then his value weakens the return. Signing Halak to reasonable contract should be a financial reason as well as, considering potential to be almost equal.

My two cents

Unfortunately i'm about 20-25 years away from retiring :puke: - especially since the wife and I had our second a few weeks back, I shudder to think of the University costs :lol: . My userID refers to the Habs FINALLY retiring Dryden's number - about 30 years too late to my liking.

Your bang on about my view on Gomez. if he was making between $3.5 to $4M I'd have no issue with Gomez. I just think that in a cap world you can't afford to lock up so much space on Gomez (or Gionta for that matter). If Gomez only had two years left on his contract that would be one thing, but to trade for a guy with his production history and contract makes no sense.

I'm still not totally convinced on who is the better goalie. I think the habs dropped the ball 3 years ago to find out more about Halak. That was when Huet was out and Halak almost got us into the playoffs. Then for some stupid reason, Carbo went with Huet in net during the last game against the leafs when Ryder scored 5 goals but the habs lost 6-5 (or some high score like that). Now that we are getting healthy, IMO we should go with the hot hand with tougher competition and see how they both fare. During his current win streak, Halak is at least shooting down the complaint against him that he can't win on the road.

But, as i've said, I'd like to see how they both do against stiffer competiton then the likes of the Islanders, Hurricanes, Thrashers and Leafs. I think both have played some VERY good hockey this year and despite their inconsistancy at times, have still been far more consistent then the rest of the team (with the exception of Pleks and Cammy).

Boy, if length of reply is a problem, then I have to wonder if anyone reads most of what I write. Or if anyone reads the site proper.

No kidding, most of my articles are lengthy (though I've scaled back a bit this year at least)...

Unfortunately i'm about 20-25 years away from retiring :puke: - especially since the wife and I had our second a few weeks back, I shudder to think of the University costs :lol: . My userID refers to the Habs FINALLY retiring Dryden's number - about 30 years too late to my liking.

Your bang on about my view on Gomez. if he was making between $3.5 to $4M I'd have no issue with Gomez. I just think that in a cap world you can't afford to lock up so much space on Gomez (or Gionta for that matter). If Gomez only had two years left on his contract that would be one thing, but to trade for a guy with his production history and contract makes no sense.

I'm still not totally convinced on who is the better goalie. I think the habs dropped the ball 3 years ago to find out more about Halak. That was when Huet was out and Halak almost got us into the playoffs. Then for some stupid reason, Carbo went with Huet in net during the last game against the leafs when Ryder scored 5 goals but the habs lost 6-5 (or some high score like that). Now that we are getting healthy, IMO we should go with the hot hand with tougher competition and see how they both fare. During his current win streak, Halak is at least shooting down the complaint against him that he can't win on the road.

But, as i've said, I'd like to see how they both do against stiffer competiton then the likes of the Islanders, Hurricanes, Thrashers and Leafs. I think both have played some VERY good hockey this year and despite their inconsistancy at times, have still been far more consistent then the rest of the team (with the exception of Pleks and Cammy).

Too bad about the retirement, but congrats on the new baby. Well we do share something in common, you may not be sleeping through the night, as I do not. Enjoy them while they are young ,the teenage years will drive you to drink.

Are you going to argue that in the case of Zetterberg and Datysuk, they did not turn out to be better players then EVERY player picked in the first round of their draft years??? Or that Hasek turned out to be a much better goaltender then the ones that were drafted in the same year as him??? Luc Robitaille was drafted in the 9TH ROUND of the 1984 draft and the only 1st rounder that turned out to be a better player then him was Mario Lemeiux.

I'm not putting Pleks on a pedestal or saying that he will be as good as Zetterberg and Datsyuk, i'm responding to the riciciulous notion of comparing a players stats by age 24 and using that as a basis to say who will project as a better player. I'm simply showing that those two also broke out at the same age as Pleks is doing. Will Pleks be a consistent 85-100 point guy? Who knows. But I like the chance of him succeeding because even when he was struggling last year he still worked hard, played hard and still showed great hockey sense. His issue was confidence and it looks like he has put it together now.

Another guy I see who took the same timeline to develop is Savard. Unlike Pleks, when he was young, Savard was labelled a selfish, lazy player who couldn't be counted on in key situations and was only concerned about his stats. During his time in Calgary he was considered a cancer, the same way that Riberio was in Montreal.

I was arguing that there are other factors to consider:

-Using Carter's junior career/World junior career as a comparsion and dismissing Pleks European career without having followed Pleks junior/Czech league career is a convinient way to prop up Carter.

-You can't ignore that Pleks had to learn the North American Game that Carter grew up playing, or that Pleks like most Habs prospects wasn't really put into a position where he could show his offensive skills in the minors. A lot of European/russian players that are named Ovechkin/Malkin/Bure struggle when they first come to North America and take time to adjust.

-You also can't ignore that the for the last 15 years the Habs have developed a grand total of ZERO offensive players. Koivu is the only guy they drafted that was on track to be an offensive star until injuries derailed him, and even in his case, the habs had no role in his development coming into the NHL, as he spent the extra couple of years in Finland before making the jump. Unlike Zetterberg and Datysuk who had true professionals and warriors like Yzerman, Lidstrom and Shanahan to mentor him, the habs handed Pleks to a basket case like Kovy who only shows up when he wants.

-Ignoring that the Flyers are going through EXACTLY the same time of situation as the habs did last year, and that Carter up to now has regressed is also convienient in bringing up Pleks struggles last year. And unlike Pleks, Carter is surrounded by MUCH better players then Pleks was last year.

If i'm going to judge a player, i'm going to do it based on how he has progressed - which doesn't necessairly mean stats alone - you have to consider their entire game. Pleks alleged weakness was that as a small guy, when he is against phyiscal play, he backs down and stays around the perimeter. As i've alredy mentioned, I see the issue he had was more to do with a lack of confidence then a willingness to compete. He always showed great hockey sense, good passing skills and a blue collar work ethic. The guy never quits. In the flyers and bruins series, even when the series were over, you could see he still put in the effort. Issue was he was lacking in confidence, so he wasn't getting results. This year, he is battling and just looking at today's game, a few times he went in the corner alone with two bigger Canes and came out with the puck and made a play. He is driving hard to the net and finally has the confidence in himself.

Also Wamsley's comparsion of him to Blake is unfair. It's one thing to have a flukey year goal scoring, where everything you touch goes in, its another thing to be able to make see and eye and saucer passes tape to tape on a consistent basis. There is NO ONE on the habs whose passing skills can touch pleks. Not the so-called 1st line $7M playmaker Gomez, and not even cammelleri ( who is a great offensive talent), but he can't make those in the air saucer passes that land on the stick like Pleks has been doing all year.

There is NO WAY we are going to get equal value if we trade Pleks and WE WILL regret it, because if you look at his two way game, I think the best comparasions are Zetterberg, Datysuk and Savard. Is there anyone else up to this point in the year that isn't a lock for the Selke as Pleks has been???? He plays the PP, 5-6 minutes a game on the PK and over 20 minutes a game.

Similarily with Halak, I'd rather we keep him to the end of the year. Given Gainey's track record all he is going to get is a 2nd/3rd round pick for him and then have to pick up another backup. I certainly don't want to trade Pleks AND Halak to a conference rival. IF we do wait to the summer and hang on to Halak, if someone tenders an offer sheet to Halak, the Habs will get a better return. Moreover, it will give more time to assess which goalie the habs should keep.

-IF you want to look at World Junior goalie stars, how do the careers of Trevor Kidd compare to the guys picked behind them (Brodeur/Potvin)

-Whose a better goalie the 1st rounder Tom Barrasso (picked #5 like Price) or the Dominic Hasek (picked 199 in the 10th round??)

I have no preference right now between Halak and Price, but don't want to make a move right now when we don't have to. I wouldn't mind a move packging Halak or Price if it allows us to pick up another centre, IF the centre we include is Gomez, but I don't want to move Pleks and Halak and regret both moves.

If i'm in Gainey's position, I would sign Pleks and find a way to unload Gomez's salary, even if it means eating it in the minors (NJ has used this approach masterfully to get out of their bad signings).

I would wait and let Halak and Price fight it out until the end of the year. As i've said, the only way I'd move Halak is if I could dump a salary like Gomez and bring in another centre or a stud D-man.

The problem with a long lecturing post that is filled with nonsense is the effort it takes to reply...

No one will argue that there aren't always going to be some hidden gems in late rounds...every year is the same in this respect. HOWEVER, there are over 200 guys taken after the 2nd round and a VERY small percentage of them turn into anything relative to the first 60 odd players taken. Guys selected higher have a higher percent chance of turning out...admittedly there is re-evaluation point where you obviously need to "re-rank" lower picks ahead of guys selected higher.

The issue is that you are selecting a very small sample of "star" players but are ignoring the HUNDREDS of other "one hit" wonders or guys who had productive careers but had their "career" year at a young age ( Joe Juneau). I think a smart GM must always be leary of a guy exploding in his contract year...and it's most difficult when they are at this age and haven't shown this type of performance at ANY level of their career to date.

What is funny is that you are trying to be results driven but you chose to ONLY look at the results of the last 2 months.

In the case of Price and Halak you have a YOUNGER Price being compared to Halak, a Price who has exceeded and won the championships at the highest level of the CHL, WJHC, AHL and as soon as he hits a speed bump in the NHL everyone questions his ability to handle pressure. Why are some, including you it would seem, suddenly throwing out history and using the last 2 months to decide "results" and the future of the clubs most crucial position? It's hilarious that you try to lead people with a Barraso to Hasek comparison yet ignore the hundreds of late round goalies who flamed out compared to the top 4 round pick goalies who panned out.

If this team doesn't "play the odds" and instead hopes and prays the "outlying/exceptions" pan out (simply because fans like the underdog) then we might as well call ourselves the Leafs and go rabid over guys like Laraque (= Domi), Begin (=Tucker), etc...oh wait, those fans are already destroying the club with their ridiculous over-exposure of the mediocre underdog.

Price is more then likely going to be better then Halak based on their career results.

Plekanec is more then likely over-acheiving based on their careers to date.

I include their entire developmental career in their "results"...not 2 months of data like you.

Don't compare them to the exceptions and try to make everyone believe that its most probable they will become those exceptional players.

Edited by Zowpeb

Plekanec is more then likely over-acheiving based on their careers to date.

I include their entire developmental career in their "results"...not 2 months of data like you.

With the exception of last season,(the whole team sucked last year) Plex had progressed in the right direction in every year.

05-06 67GP 9-20-29 ATOI: 13:15

06-07 81GP 20-27-47 ATOI: 15:59

07-08 81GP 29-40-69 ATOI: 18:05

08-09 80GP 20-19-39 ATOI: 17:16

09-10 41GP 8-36-44 ATOI: 20:05

Like I was saying, Plex had progressed in the right direction in his first 3 seasons. As his Average Time On Ice increased, his point production increased as well. The 08-09 season was an anomaly for him, seeing as Kovy wasn't playing well and neither was AK46. Once again, his ATOI has increased and his point production has exploded. Let's not forget that Plex is one of our best penalty killers and plays a solid two-way game. He isn't a defensive liabiity (he has a career +28 rating).

Sign him as soon as you can BOB(first couple of weeks of January), don't fv.ck around too long!! If Bob waits til the Olympic break, my guess is that Plex's agent will tell him to wait til July 1st, and then we'll lose him for nothing! If that were to happen, Gainey should be fired on the spot!

Edited by Habsfan

With the exception of last season,(the whole team sucked last year) Plex had progressed in the right direction in every year.

05-06 67GP 9-20-29 ATOI: 13:15

06-07 81GP 20-27-47 ATOI: 15:59

07-08 81GP 29-40-69 ATOI: 18:05

08-09 80GP 20-19-39 ATOI: 17:16

09-10 41GP 8-36-44 ATOI: 20:05

Like I was saying, Plex had progressed in the right direction in his first 3 seasons. As his Average Time On Ice increased, his point production increased as well. The 08-09 season was an anomaly for him, seeing as Kovy wasn't playing well and neither was AK46. Once again, his ATOI has increased and his point production has exploded. Let's not forget that Plex is one of our best penalty killers and plays a solid two-way game. He isn't a defensive liabiity (he has a career +28 rating).

Sign him as soon as you can BOB(first couple of weeks of January), don't fv.ck around too long!! If Bob waits til the Olympic break, my guess is that Plex's agent will tell him to wait til July 1st, and then we'll lose him for nothing! If that were to happen, Gainey should be fired on the spot!

bob got only a few choices here, offer plex a new deal..if he takes it great if not you got to trade him..same as halak..i dont think any one here would of guess plex would have this kind of year..so you cant blame bob for not giving him big money last year..the only reason bob should be fired is if he dont start talks with these guy before the end of the year..

the problem with these guys are they true canaidians or just just another komi..takes the big money and run..

more then good plays we need guy that what to play for the habs..its hard place to play and we need guys that can handle that..

i think halak well be trade because he asked for a trade and that shit with his agend(and this is 2 thing that we heard, who know what else might have happen)bob is old school and well send him packing, his just waiting for the right deal..

bob got only a few choices here, offer plex a new deal..if he takes it great if not you got to trade him..same as halak..i dont think any one here would of guess plex would have this kind of year..so you cant blame bob for not giving him big money last year..the only reason bob should be fired is if he dont start talks with these guy before the end of the year..

the problem with these guys are they true canaidians or just just another komi..takes the big money and run..

more then good plays we need guy that what to play for the habs..its hard place to play and we need guys that can handle that..

i think halak well be trade because he asked for a trade and that shit with his agend(and this is 2 thing that we heard, who know what else might have happen)bob is old school and well send him packing, his just waiting for the right deal..

Not crazy about the punctuation, but this is a sensible post. It's not as simple as "keep this guy," "sign that guy." It comes down to their price. If Pleks can't be signed at a reasonable rate, then trade him for major value at the deadline. If you think Price is your #1 going forward, trade Halak for help elsewhere. Package both and you should really be able to clean up.

We're not used to seeing Gainey with this strong a hand. The future of Rebuild 2.0 could be defined by what he does with these assets.

Not crazy about the punctuation, but this is a sensible post. It's not as simple as "keep this guy," "sign that guy." It comes down to their price. If Pleks can't be signed at a reasonable rate, then trade him for major value at the deadline. If you think Price is your #1 going forward, trade Halak for help elsewhere. Package both and you should really be able to clean up.

We're not used to seeing Gainey with this strong a hand. The future of Rebuild 2.0 could be defined by what he does with these assets.

sorry about the punctuation but my english not that good..lol..i been trying to get this point across for a while there is alot that goes in to signing a guy..if they want to play here, do they get along with the players, how much money they what..you got to look at the full pic...ect

i thought we would of learn from the guys we lose last year is what we dont want in players, komi over rate by montreal fan,ran to the leafs for big money..kovalev who plays 1 in 5 games hard and then cant believe he didnt get resign..koivu who i loved, but he could bring the team together..bob made the hard changes last year and alot of habs fan still crying about losing those guys but they suck this year, and should really open everyones eyes of what our ex fav really give to this team..the gm and coach know these players better then anyone...me for one i love the new team and we can only get better..i think bobs on a 3 year plan..

sorry about the punctuation but my english not that good..lol..i been trying to get this point across for a while there is alot that goes in to signing a guy..if they want to play here, do they get along with the players, how much money they what..you got to look at the full pic...ect

i thought we would of learn from the guys we lose last year is what we dont want in players, komi over rate by montreal fan,ran to the leafs for big money..kovalev who plays 1 in 5 games hard and then cant believe he didnt get resign..koivu who i loved, but he could bring the team together..bob made the hard changes last year and alot of habs fan still crying about losing those guys but they suck this year, and should really open everyones eyes of what our ex fav really give to this team..the gm and coach know these players better then anyone...me for one i love the new team and we can only get better..i think bobs on a 3 year plan..

I'd have to agree. Uncle Bob is a very thoughtful man who years ago said that he wanted to build a team that could compete now and for the next ten years. He made the moves to give us a shot at the cup when the chance was there and made the moves to go forward after injuries in particular ended that dream' a dream that had a cost to realize. We're showing some pretty good stuff on ice these days and is it not possible that Kovy who I loved and others are not having stellar years in part because they aren't with Bob Gainey this year? He had a pretty good influence on the players.

While I'm no comparative judge in the matter, it seems that Havoc and Pluck are pretty good examples of internal development as well.

I'd have to agree. Uncle Bob is a very thoughtful man who years ago said that he wanted to build a team that could compete now and for the next ten years. He made the moves to give us a shot at the cup when the chance was there and made the moves to go forward after injuries in particular ended that dream' a dream that had a cost to realize. We're showing some pretty good stuff on ice these days and is it not possible that Kovy who I loved and others are not having stellar years in part because they aren't with Bob Gainey this year? He had a pretty good influence on the players.

While I'm no comparative judge in the matter, it seems that Havoc and Pluck are pretty good examples of internal development as well.

PLEASE, Kovy had ONE Really good year and a couple of so-so years under Gainey - last year was a disaster and Kovy showed just how much of a basket case he is. Kovy's time in Montreal is also consistent with his entire career with the NYR and Penguins, so I don't know what good influence Gainey had on him. If he did have a positive infleunce on Kovy, Kovy would have been consistent in his production.

Moreover, up to now the ONLY internal players "Uncle Bob" has successfully developed and SO FAR retained are are Pleks and Halak - and he may lose them for returns similar to the other guys who left (for Nothing - Souray, Ryder, Streit - not to mention 1/3 of the team last year).

I'm really getting weary of the "Uncle Bob" and IN BOB WE TRUST quotes.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

That's the biggest load of crock I've heard. Dumping bad trade or UFA pickups or trying to trying to force guys to waive NTC's hasn't hurt the ability of NJ, Boston, Washington, Toronto, Dallas, Anaheim or Chicago's ability to attract talent.

Moreover, given the chemistry that Cammmalleri has with Pleks, I'm sure Cammy is no dummy. If dumping Gomez is the only way that he can keep playing with Pleks, Cammy is enough of a professional to realize what is best for the team.

Anyone can see that as long as Gomez's contract is on the books, the habs are hamstrung in locking up guys whose contracts are up in the next two year. Pleks/Price/Halak are the biggies this year. Markov and AK46 next year. We also need a serious upgrade on D and Hamrlik will hae to be replaced after next year as well. People on this site don't seem to have any issue by trying to move the salary of Hammer who has been our best D-men while Markov was out, in order to make sure that we can sign Pleks and Price, when its Gomez's salary that is the issue. If i was Cammy or Pleks I'd be pissed that Gomez at Gomez's play up to now.

Attracting UFA's is dependent on a number of factors like WINNING, the city, WINNING, tax/cost of living and WINNING - with the exception of the idiots who for some reason sign in Toronto to support the Ontario Teachers and enjoy losing.

While, I'm sure Cammy had hoped that he would have a big year if Gomez turned things around, Cammy like everyone else in the league is no dummy and has to know the Habs are hamstrung with Gomez's salary. Besides, what did you expect Cammy to say when he signed - I signed here because this was the only place I got a $6m long term contract????

As far as Gionta goes, despite him being a heart and soul guy, with a blue collar work ethic, I wouildn't mind seeing the habs move him either. You can't expect to maintain a winning team by paying a 20 goal, 55-65 point guy $5m. Although I guess that is still paying a 12-15 goal, 50-60 point guy $7.3M. If the habs do move Halak, I hope they package Gionta or Gomez.

Going back to his Dallas days, Gainey has a long history of overpaying guys and then dumping them. Problem is that its tougher to move mistakes in the cap era

I think you have been drinking to much of the kool-aid gainey has been selling, because as long as Gomez is here the habs chances for being a serious contender are pretty limited.

That's the difference between us I guess, you speculate on the reasons and mentality of the players and assume your right.

Edited by Habitforming

• 2 weeks later...
TSN has reported both Phaneuf (he denies it) http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?id=305276&a...name=nhl-flames and Souray http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?id=305271&a...name=nhl-oilers would be willing to be traded. That do anything for anyone?

Well, I don't think we need Souray AND Bergeron.

And I don't think Calgary will want to take Hamrlik or be interested by a goalie so the trade will never happen IMO.

if we can't sign plex what about trading him and spaceman for Olli and Dion? Calgary wants an upgrade at centre and we want a big centre. Keep in mind i have checked no one's salary in this, but i think it would beyond screw us cap wise.

if we can't sign plex what about trading him and spaceman for Olli and Dion? Calgary wants an upgrade at centre and we want a big centre. Keep in mind i have checked no one's salary in this, but i think it would beyond screw us cap wise.

Olli is at like 5.5 mil/yr

Phaneuf is at like 7.5 mil/ yr

This trade may not work cuz of all the RFA's next summer, unless Gomer is the one going the other way. that would free up the cap space ness for Dion.

+ I don't think Olli is the kind of player BG or JM would want on the team.

not cuz he doesn't have skills but more so cuz of all the rumors that he isn't a team guy.

IMO this yr the Habs are tring to get a groupe of guys to gel more then anything else, sure to win game is a must, but also to get the guys to get close. Habs brass don't want the same melt down as last year and can you balme them?

TSN has reported both Phaneuf (he denies it) http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?id=305276&a...name=nhl-flames and Souray http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?id=305271&a...name=nhl-oilers would be willing to be traded. That do anything for anyone?

gainey should try and slip something into Sutter's drink and try and move Gomez for Phaneauf. :lol: Then all he would have to do is move Hamrliks salary over the summer, we could resign Pleks and move one of the goalies for another centre.

Olli is at like 5.5 mil/yr

Phaneuf is at like 7.5 mil/ yr

This trade may not work cuz of all the RFA's next summer, unless Gomer is the one going the other way. that would free up the cap space ness for Dion.

+ I don't think Olli is the kind of player BG or JM would want on the team.

not cuz he doesn't have skills but more so cuz of all the rumors that he isn't a team guy.

IMO this yr the Habs are tring to get a groupe of guys to gel more then anything else, sure to win game is a must, but also to get the guys to get close. Habs brass don't want the same melt down as last year and can you balme them?

I thought Dion was making around $6M?

Both those guys are too expensive. Souray is too old and injury-prone, not to mention defensively-challenged; Phaneuf is by all reports toxic in the dressing room, a real jerk. No thanks, I'd rather have Gomez.

PLEASE, Kovy had ONE Really good year and a couple of so-so years under Gainey - last year was a disaster and Kovy showed just how much of a basket case he is. Kovy's time in Montreal is also consistent with his entire career with the NYR and Penguins, so I don't know what good influence Gainey had on him. If he did have a positive infleunce on Kovy, Kovy would have been consistent in his production.

Moreover, up to now the ONLY internal players "Uncle Bob" has successfully developed and SO FAR retained are are Pleks and Halak - and he may lose them for returns similar to the other guys who left (for Nothing - Souray, Ryder, Streit - not to mention 1/3 of the team last year).

I'm really getting weary of the "Uncle Bob" and IN BOB WE TRUST quotes.

You will continue to see this throughout the league. The cap will really affect how many high quality players a team can have. Once they hit UFA, they are gone! Get used to it.

You guys like to talk about money so much. Streit and Souray were PP specialists. Bob signed MAB for a fraction of either of those guys. Bob's a genius. hahahahaha

Edited by BCHabnut

You will continue to see this throughout the league. The cap will really affect how many high quality players a team can have. Once they hit UFA, they are gone! Get used to it.

You guys like to talk about money so much. Streit and Souray were PP specialists. Bob signed MAB for a fraction of either of those guys. Bob's a genius. hahahahaha

The only reason MAB was even signed was his agent approached the habs after Markov went down. Even though MAB scored 14 goals and 32 points last year for the wild no other team wanted him bcoz the guy can't play defence. Since nobody else in the league wanted him, MAB was also desperate,so we were able to get him cheaply.. He was a good signing, but he was not in Bob's original plan. Bob's original plan were picking up Mara and Spacek to help out the PP. Neither of whom has been up to the task. The fact that MAB is with the habs was out of a situation of desperation on both sides.

Streit is NOT just a PP specialist. That is how the Habs were using him, but he has shown to be a pretty steady two-way Dman with the Islanders and would easily be our 3rd or 4th and is playing 22-25 minutes for the islanders. I'd take him in a heartbeat over Mara, Spacek (lousy contract for someone over 35), Gill, O'Byrne, Gorges (Gorges and O'Byrne's redeeming qualities are there salary and in Gorges case also his work ethic).

Both those guys are too expensive. Souray is too old and injury-prone, not to mention defensively-challenged; Phaneuf is by all reports toxic in the dressing room, a real jerk. No thanks, I'd rather have Gomez.

I've never heard that about Phaneuf...where have you heard that?

For what it's worth I'd be stunned if the Flames moved a guy like Phaneuf...

I've never heard that about Phaneuf...where have you heard that?

For what it's worth I'd be stunned if the Flames moved a guy like Phaneuf...

If we can get a dman that is physical, an offensive threat, is defensively fairly sound AND is not even close to reaching his prime, I would take him in a heartbeat. The toxic presence comments comes from the likes of Eckland, who need a reason for their stupid rumours.

If we could move the $7.3m man for phaneuf (which even though Gomez would be perfect for Iginla - the flames would never do) and then move the hammer and spacek our cap situation would be much Iproved and we would have dynamite 1-2 punch with markov and phaneuf.

I couldn't see Gainey ever being able to pull this off, but to me if this scenerio was at all possible, you pull the trigger before the Sutters sober up.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Well since the board is dead, Ek has a pending trade between the habs and Oilers. He heard form 3 or 4 soureces or something. Obviously he has no names.

So take that for what it is worth, please don't shoot the messanger.

Well since the board is dead, Ek has a pending trade between the habs and Oilers. He heard form 3 or 4 soureces or something. Obviously he has no names.

So take that for what it is worth, please don't shoot the messanger.

iam sure the oilers are talking to everone one right now..they are in a free fall..

wondering who they what? or who we might get...

iam sure the oilers are talking to everone one right now..they are in a free fall..

wondering who they what? or who we might get...

Safe bet is that they are shopping : Souray, Visnovsky, Pisani and Comrie.

Edited by JoeLassister