Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Rumblings of Alexei Emelin/Yemelin/however you want to spell it coming to NA next year? http://twitter.com/GenadiB/status/13946029460

I'd try and find it on www.sovsport.ru but I really don't want to try and translate everything to find what I'm looking for. Apparently it's been discussed on the Team 990 as well. It's worth noting at least...

Rumblings of Alexei Emelin/Yemelin/however you want to spell it coming to NA next year? http://twitter.com/GenadiB/status/13946029460

I'd try and find it on www.sovsport.ru but I really don't want to try and translate everything to find what I'm looking for. Apparently it's been discussed on the Team 990 as well. It's worth noting at least...

As Genadi Boguslavski might say.

Is good, no?

It would be nice to see him in a Habs uni.

Question: Back when Pronger signed his extension with Philly, the league said it was going to investigate it, and that Philly might be stuck paying out the contract in its entirety because when the contract kicks in, Pronger will be 35. Did they ever decide on something?

Did they decide it counted as signed a 35+ player, or because when he signed it he was 34, it doesn't count as a 35+?

Anyone know?

Question: Back when Pronger signed his extension with Philly, the league said it was going to investigate it, and that Philly might be stuck paying out the contract in its entirety because when the contract kicks in, Pronger will be 35. Did they ever decide on something?

Did they decide it counted as signed a 35+ player, or because when he signed it he was 34, it doesn't count as a 35+?

Anyone know?

To the best of my knowledge, they're stuck with the contract counting as a 35+ one. I think I read somewhere (I think the latest issue of THN) that the threshold for qualifying for that status is somewhere in July, Pronger's birthday is in October. The controversy was basically should the threshold be moved to the start of the season, in that case, it wouldn't have counted as a 35+ contract.

Wasn't Emelin "close to signing" last year and decided out of the blue to sign a 2 year contract with a KHL club?

I think this is the third time that he was supposed to be coming. I hope it happens but I'm not holding my breath.

Wasn't Emelin "close to signing" last year and decided out of the blue to sign a 2 year contract with a KHL club?

I think this is the third time that he was supposed to be coming. I hope it happens but I'm not holding my breath.

You're correct, he's teased us for a while. If nothing else, the rumour suggests the Habs haven't given up on him yet, even that's a small positive to be drawn regardless of how it turns out.

He just won a KHL championship. Perhaps he feels he's accomplished all he can in that league? I don't know. I honestly think he's not all that great anyways. He might be a 3rd pair guy. Russia doesn't select him to their Olympic team, and they had some awful D on that team. Of course, that might be poor selection/coaching.... they also played Volcehnkov as a #7/#8 guy and stuck Markov with Nikulin rather than a natural fit like Volchenkov.

He just won a KHL championship. Perhaps he feels he's accomplished all he can in that league? I don't know. I honestly think he's not all that great anyways. He might be a 3rd pair guy. Russia doesn't select him to their Olympic team, and they had some awful D on that team. Of course, that might be poor selection/coaching.... they also played Volcehnkov as a #7/#8 guy and stuck Markov with Nikulin rather than a natural fit like Volchenkov.

Politics in the Russian selection process? Impossible!

how as the staff and management ruin pouliot?

The Habs always put players in roles which they are not qualified for. They have asked Latendresse to charge the net but it's not what he does well. As for Pouliot they keep changing his line up and ask him to play a defencive role which is not Pouliot hockey. It's no wonder thay our players look or seem dead at times.

To the best of my knowledge, they're stuck with the contract counting as a 35+ one. I think I read somewhere (I think the latest issue of THN) that the threshold for qualifying for that status is somewhere in July, Pronger's birthday is in October. The controversy was basically should the threshold be moved to the start of the season, in that case, it wouldn't have counted as a 35+ contract.

Ray Ferraro reported as fact on Vancouver radio that the Flyers are on the hook for his contract in its entirety. Pronger is still an impact guy, but man, that makes the Spacek signing look like a masterpiece of cap management.

The Habs always put players in roles which they are not qualified for. They have asked Latendresse to charge the net but it's not what he does well. As for Pouliot they keep changing his line up and ask him to play a defencive role which is not Pouliot hockey. It's no wonder thay our players look or seem dead at times.

I dunno..if you look at Lats goals this season in Minny..guess where they come from? Lats success was due to him being humbled and realizing if he wanted to continue his NHL career he'd have to go to the dirty areas. Pouliot, will learn thats his place too, have patience with a guy whos making very little.

I have heard it all over the media that because Washington and Pittsburgh have been iliminated from the playoffs that it will be very bad for the T.V ratings as well as hockey popularity in the U.S.A. It's no wonder that a canadian team has not won the stanley cup for the last 17 years and counting. We proud canadians have bent backwords to promote hockey in the U.S.A and the 6 canadian teams also make up for half of the total revenues of the NHL. The 6 canadian teams must also compensate U.S market teams in order to keep digging them out of the hole year after year while the U.S keeps trying to put us in the hole or 6 feet under if you know what I mean. Therefor it makes me curious even suspicious that maybe Bob Gainey signed lot's of american players ( Gomez,Gionta,Cammalleri...) so that the league and americans will not mind so much if we a canadian team wins the stanley cup. :clap:

I have heard it all over the media that because Washington and Pittsburgh have been iliminated from the playoffs that it will be very bad for the T.V ratings as well as hockey popularity in the U.S.A. It's no wonder that a canadian team has not won the stanley cup for the last 17 years and counting. We proud canadians have bent backwords to promote hockey in the U.S.A and the 6 canadian teams also make up for half of the total revenues of the NHL. The 6 canadian teams must also compensate U.S market teams in order to keep digging them out of the hole year after year while the U.S keeps trying to put us in the hole or 6 feet under if you know what I mean. Therefor it makes me curious even suspicious that maybe Bob Gainey signed lot's of american players ( Gomez,Gionta,Cammalleri...) so that the league and americans will not mind so much if we a canadian team wins the stanley cup. :clap:

Cammy is from Toronto.

• 2 weeks later...

Pierre MacGuire speculated that San Jose would be willing to trade Clowe + Murray for either habs goalie. He didn't have any sources behind this, he was just giving his opinion. From what I've read on the SJ forum at HFboards, most of their fans would support this move. I think a trade like this would work very well for both teams. Imagine:

Clowe (3.5)-Plekanec (5.25)-Cammalleri

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta

Pacioretty-Moore (1.5)-Moen

Pyatt-Lapierre-White

(Maxwell, Darche)

Markov-Subban

Spacek-Murray (2.5)

Gill-Gorges

O'Byrne

Halak or Price (probably Price)

Sanford/Desjardins

Subtractions:

F: No Andrei Kostitsyn, no Sergei Kostitsyn, no Metropolit

D: No Hamrlik, no MAB, no Mara

G: Halak/Price (probably Halak)

Note that Hamrlik and the Kostitsyns all leave the team for free even though none of them are UFA. Hammer can be bought out if he can't be traded. I excluded the Kostitsyns from the line up only because I don't think they'd be able to afford Andrei along with this line up. So suppose they received some sort of pick/prospect return for the Kosties.

This team looks like an improvement to me.

Edited by BTH

Pierre MacGuire speculated that San Jose would be willing to trade Clowe + Murray for either habs goalie. He didn't have any sources behind this, he was just giving his opinion. From what I've read on the SJ forum at HFboards, most of their fans would support this move. I think a trade like this would work very well for both teams. Imagine:

Clowe (3.5)-Plekanec (5.25)-Cammalleri

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta

Pacioretty-Moore (1.5)-Moen

Pyatt-Lapierre-White

(Maxwell, Darche)

Markov-Subban

Spacek-Murray (2.5)

Gill-Gorges

O'Byrne

Halak or Price (probably Price)

Sanford/Desjardins

Subtractions:

F: No Andrei Kostitsyn, no Sergei Kostitsyn, no Metropolit

D: No Hamrlik, no MAB, no Mara

G: Halak/Price (probably Halak)

Note that Hamrlik and the Kostitsyns all leave the team for free even though none of them are UFA. Hammer can be bought out if he can't be traded. I excluded the Kostitsyns from the line up only because I don't think they'd be able to afford Andrei along with this line up. So suppose they received some sort of pick/prospect return for the Kosties.

This team looks like an improvement to me.

I don't see how this is an improvement??? SJ hasn't been happy with Clowe's production and he is playing on a more offensive minded team. There was a SJ writer on a calgary talk show today that was saying how disappointed mgmt and fans have been at Clowe's play. I believe Clowe is around 3 years older then Andrei, so its not like we are getting a younger player who hasn't reached his potential yet. Murray is also a 30 year old #5-6 dman, which we have plenty of.

To me if you are not getting a TRUE top 3 forward or top 2 dman, why would we want to trade either goalie???

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I'd take Clowe over Kostitsyn. Similar numbers, more size, less baggage - the only downside is that he has less upside. If we could fit both under the cap, even better.

I hadn't realized that Murray was already 30. He'd still be useful to us though.

I think this is the best we're ever going to get for one of our goalies. Goalies have limited trade value. What's the most any goalie has ever received back in a trade? Look at the returns for Luongo, Roy, Belfour, Bryzgalov, Vokoun, Roloson, Fernandez, everyone.

The only time I can ever recall goaltenders being significant part of a trade for a star forward are Mike Smith in the Brad Richards trade (and look how that turned out for TB).

So the one-for-one Halak-for-Iginla trade is never going to happen. It's either make a trade like this that fills out the roster or keep both goalies until one has established himself as elite and then make a trade just like this.

I would not be horrified if Halak went now in a trade like this.

Habs are reportedly set to sign Swedish D Kyle Klubertanz according to this report.

On second thought, it's a done deal...

Looks like an average/smallish sized offensive RH D. 6ft, 190lbs according to the hockeydb.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/kyle_klubertanz

I'd take Clowe over Kostitsyn. Similar numbers, more size, less baggage - the only downside is that he has less upside. If we could fit both under the cap, even better.

I hadn't realized that Murray was already 30. He'd still be useful to us though.

I think this is the best we're ever going to get for one of our goalies. Goalies have limited trade value. What's the most any goalie has ever received back in a trade? Look at the returns for Luongo, Roy, Belfour, Bryzgalov, Vokoun, Roloson, Fernandez, everyone.

The only time I can ever recall goaltenders being significant part of a trade for a star forward are Mike Smith in the Brad Richards trade (and look how that turned out for TB).

So the one-for-one Halak-for-Iginla trade is never going to happen. It's either make a trade like this that fills out the roster or keep both goalies until one has established himself as elite and then make a trade just like this.

I would not be horrified if Halak went now in a trade like this.

iam not sure want we would have to give up to get clowe but he got one think that i like..I know for a fact he would love to play for montreal and this is the type of players we need...skill is great but i take clowe heart..

i would trade one goalie for clowe and 1st round pick...

Clowe as put up good numbers in the ahl and nhl and take a look at some of his fightshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M8dSW6Mhoo

Edited by KEEP26

I think he played for Wisconsin for 4 years. He was actually pretty good in College. Not a bad move, having defenseman who can skate and moe the puck out of the zone is very important.

This years habs D minus Subban are all average to slow skaters.

Fisher is a real good skater, don't know if he is or will be signed.

A big need is speed and passign from the back end.

I think he played for Wisconsin for 4 years. He was actually pretty good in College. Not a bad move, having defenseman who can skate and moe the puck out of the zone is very important.

This years habs D minus Subban are all average to slow skaters.

Fisher is a real good skater, don't know if he is or will be signed.

A big need is speed and passign from the back end.

Fischer is not yet signed, the Habs have until August 15th to sign him. What I've heard is that the decision to sign him will be made after the Habs orientation/rookie camp in July (usually a week or so after the draft).

You're correct - he did spend 4 years with Wisconsin, the last with McDonagh/Johnson (a MTL prospect) and also was a teammate of Andreas Engqvist this season - both are coming to North America next year.

From what I've gathered, speed and passing are Klubertanz's greatest assets, he'll be a welcome addition to a Hamilton squad who quite honestly may have no one left out of the 7 d-men they dressed last night.