Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Habs are talking contract with ex-NHL'er Marcus Nilson according to Swedish paper Aftonbladet. He played on the same team as Engqvist and Klubertanz last season.

I dagsläget siktar Nilson på ett kontrakt i NHL och enligt uppgifter till Sportbladet är Montreal en av klubbarna som stockholmaren för diskussioner med.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hock...ticle7589881.ab

cap space

Moore signed for $1.1m! How much cap space are we trying to shave off? Cap space isn't a huge issue with this team this coming year, barring a $4m deal to Price (which would be lunacy, since Halak signed long term at $3.75m)

well maybe after the playoffs halak had and I only say that cuz Im being alittle BIG donkey, cuz 1 good run in the playoffs should count like a rookie season, IMO.

mind you, 4 mil average for 5 yrs seems like the right amount in this case.

I think CP can be a real man in the pipes one day but.... I think he needs to remember fans in MTL have a lot off issues with peeps that make mo money then they do.... well maybe thats just me hating again I dont know :unsure:

GO :hlogo: GO!!!!

Are you saying Halak is better/worth more than Price? I hope not because it would mean we kept the wrong goalie. Price will sign 5 years at 4M avr

But more goes into that trade and the two contracts than who's better/worth more right now. 4M x 5 years is a possibility but on a shorter term deal Price is getting less than Halak.

Are you saying Halak is better/worth more than Price? I hope not because it would mean we kept the wrong goalie. Price will sign 5 years at 4M avr

BTH is quite right. Based on clutch performance, Halak should definitely be paid more than Price at this specific juncture. (I continue to believe it's folly to lock Price up for substantial money when so far he has done exactly jack sh*t beyond being a passable NHL starter, but that's another story).

Have I been reading right? Price should get 4 Million $$$ on a 5 year contract? No bloody way that's like shooting ourselves in the head! Price still has lot's to prove starting with consisteny. Watching him play last year and letting soft goals through especially on his glove side puts the breaks on for me. I'm not blaming Price for a lack of consistency because he needs to learn from his mistakes and shortcomings. I suggest a 2 year deal at 2.5 million per season and that would be my final offer my friend. If Price doesn't appreciate that generous offer then let's ship him and his glove along with his Garth Brooks cd's to the wild wild west. :rolleyes::wacko::unsure::rolleyes::huh:^_^:blink::angry::rolleyes:

Edited by nikohab

Have I been reading right? Price should get 4 Million $$$ on a 5 year contract? No bloody way that's like shooting ourselves in the head! Price still has lot's to prove starting with consisteny. Watching him play last year and letting soft goals through especially on his glove side puts the breaks on for me. I'm not blaming Price for a lack of consistency because he needs to learn from his mistakes and shortcomings. I suggest a 2 year deal at 2.5 million per season and that would be my final offer my friend. If Price doesn't appreciate that generous offer then let's ship him and his glove along with his Garth Brooks cd's to the wild wild west. :rolleyes::wacko::unsure::rolleyes::huh:^_^:blink::angry::rolleyes:

Yeah, then we can just ride Auld to the cup.

There is too much speculation on why the contract is taking longer, it's silly for anyone to get mad at numbers that might not even be factual. The expression comes to mind "this is why we can't have nice things", because a routine contract neg is going on, everyone is freaking out.

Yeah, then we can just ride Auld to the cup.

I agree with you about Auld but what about riding the cup with Matin Biron who is a proven NHL elite goalie and still young at 32. It's no wonder Philly picked him up and it's no wonder that they are a great team! :hockey:

Edited by nikohab

I agree with you about Auld but what about riding the cup with Matin Biron who is a proven NHL elite goalie and still young at 32. It's no wonder Philly picked him up and it's no wonder that they are a great team! :hockey:

Martin Biron is now an NHL backup, and was NEVER a proven elite NHL goalie.

Philly didn't pick him up, they actually dumped him for the trio of Boucher, Leighton and Emery. Biron is now

King Henrik's personal caddy and will mop up in 15 games per season.

Biron is good on a good team and bad on a bad team, just like Alex Auld.

If Price goes down, there is no safety net. Just like their wasn't with Roy, Brodeur, Hasek etc. That decision was made

with the dealing of Halak. Auld, Biron, Ellis etc are of zero consequence to the success of the Habs in 2011. None of them

are good enough to carry this team.

In a salary cap age, the safety net luxury is gone.

Edited by Wamsley01

Haha I will concede that the Flyers are a good to great team DESPITE their goaltending, and lets not forget, the Flyers battled for the same playoff spot that the habs did, it's funny the habs scrapped to 8th position and their playoffs were a fluke, yet the flyers wasn't. A lot of double standards going around.

Edited by bar

Haha I will concede that the Flyers are a good to great team DESPITE their goaltending, and lets not forget, the Flyers battled for the same playoff spot that the habs did, it's funny the habs scrapped to 8th position and their playoffs were a fluke, yet the flyers wasn't. A lot of double standards going around.

Well, on paper the Flyers were contenders from Day One. That's why they got respect and we didn't.

I think the Habs' position players are getting a bit more respect in general media coverage nowadays - Cammalleri in particular is being regarded as something approaching a star (as he should) - but dealing away Halak cost the organization a lot of credibility among the talking heads, so it's more or less a wash. I try not to worry about it. Ever since 2008, when the Habs were universally predicted by 'experts' to be useless and then went on to finish first in the conference, and then 2009, when they were universally praised by 'experts' as contenders and proceeded to lay a steaming turd, I could give a rat's ass what the 'experts' think.

There are few 'experts' out there I respect, Bobby Mac, Gord Miller are a couple I actually stand up and take notice of what they say. The others have as much credability as a blogger.

There are few 'experts' out there I respect, Bobby Mac, Gord Miller are a couple I actually stand up and take notice of what they say. The others have as much credability as a blogger.

The problem with experts is they aren't really experts on the majority of subjects they broach.

Asking Nick Kypreos what he thinks of the Halak/Price situation is about as productive as asking

him what he thinks about the value of pi and it's evolution.

Asking one individual to have an expert opinion on 30 teams is ridiculous. Even if they were able

to watch 25 games for each team it would require them to watch between 4-700 games per season

and while watching these games be able to have in depth understanding of individual players.

So what they do is make assumptions based on media reports, statistics etc. No different than the majority of fans. They are essentially taking a shot in the dark and their opinion is generally influenced

by their relationships within the game.

Listening to Montreal media is cringe worthy enough when hearing some opinions, watching an ill informed expert shoot his mouth off is even worse.

Human nature is to follow the trend, and that is what the media tends to do. That is why blogs and message boards are ten times more informative and entertaining.

Edited by Wamsley01

Latest from Eklund is that the Habs have inquired about Stempniak. The only way I see that fitting is if Price signs a 1 year deal as Stempniak's asking price is believed to be 3 years, $3M+ per year.

Not worth it. Nobody knows if Stempniak is a) the player that scored 13 and 14 goals prior to scoring 14 in 62 games with Toronto, or b) the player that then lit it up in Phoenix with 14 goals in 18 games. But if I was a betting man, I'd wager on the former.

Fortunately, this is Eklund, so we know Montreal has zero interest in him. ^_^

Having said that, having a consistent 28-goal scorer would be nice for our top-6.

Not worth it. Nobody knows if Stempniak is a) the player that scored 13 and 14 goals prior to scoring 14 in 62 games with Toronto, or b) the player that then lit it up in Phoenix with 14 goals in 18 games. But if I was a betting man, I'd wager on the former.

Fortunately, this is Eklund, so we know Montreal has zero interest in him. ^_^

Having said that, having a consistent 28-goal scorer would be nice for our top-6.

Yes, given our dismal lack of 1 1/2 top-6 forwards, it'd be worth taking a flyer on a guy like that. But there's that darned cap to think about.

Might even be worth digging up some guy in need of rehabilitation and throwing him into the mix at cut rates. Some guy like Satan was for the Pens a couple of seasons ago.

If we weren't willing to give a one-year 3 million dollar contract to Frolov then I don't think we're on the market for a UFA top 6er. (Too bad. Had we not signed Boyd, I think we could have squeezed in Frolov.)

If we weren't willing to give a one-year 3 million dollar contract to Frolov then I don't think we're on the market for a UFA top 6er. (Too bad. Had we not signed Boyd, I think we could have squeezed in Frolov.)

???

Boyd makes $650k and is a centre. The two signings are completely unrelated. If Boyd isn't signed, someone has to play his spot anyways.