Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Speaking of Komisarek, the leafs must realize that they need to move a defenseman to have any chance of getting scoring up front. I wonder if we offered Gomez up for Kommi orBeauchamin, took Finger off their books if we couldn't get a nice young asset to make the deal work for us?

Then we enter the market for a top-6 centreman - trading to improve an area of relative strength (D) at the expense of an area of relative weakness (proven top-6 players). No thanks :wacko: But I'll admit it suuuure would be nice to have Komisarek around in order to school that asshole Lucic ^_^

Then we enter the market for a top-6 centreman - trading to improve an area of relative strength (D) at the expense of an area of relative weakness (proven top-6 players). No thanks :wacko: But I'll admit it suuuure would be nice to have Komisarek around in order to school that asshole Lucic ^_^

The only reason I put that out there is because the only way you are going to get rid of that eight million dollar contract is to divide it up. Athough Burke would never do it; because he believes that all he has to do is put a body out there, put a leaf jersey on it, and drag a trawler where he can sort through all the assets coming in; it makes sense for Burke to get a top notch set up man for his trigger man Kessel. As for the Canadians, they would bank a prospect and they would have resources

to move without disrupting the heart of the team. You could afford to move a Hamirlik/Gorges to get a center that was closer to playing for what he is costing.

They sure could use one, that's for sure. Mind you, cap wise they've been lucking out with injuries...mind you that doesn't help their on-ice product.

It's strange how injuries are almost viewed as good fortune now with the salary cap. It'll be a heck of party once teams like New Jersey and Vancouver get healthy.

It's strange how injuries are almost viewed as good fortune now with the salary cap. It'll be a heck of party once teams like New Jersey and Vancouver get healthy.

Vancouver has "snuck" another player onto LTIR (Bolduc) - played 1 game, then mysteriously got injured and was LTIR'ed retroactively today, directly coinciding with Burrows being activated.

• 2 weeks later...

What about making a serious offer for Bill Guerin now that O'Byrne's salary is off the chart?

Put him with Gomez/Gionta and see if this Team USA line still has any chemistry. It's worth a try. It's also worth putting Guerin in front of the net on the powerplay. I mean, something's got to be done. The PP cannot continue as is and perhaps Guerin could be a cheap fix?

What about making a serious offer for Bill Guerin now that O'Byrne's salary is off the chart?

Put him with Gomez/Gionta and see if this Team USA line still has any chemistry. It's worth a try. It's also worth putting Guerin in front of the net on the powerplay. I mean, something's got to be done. The PP cannot continue as is and perhaps Guerin could be a cheap fix?

A nice idea. I said in the summer that Guerin would be a wise signing for a team with no guarantees at the wing. Bieksa or someone comparable (remember the rumour about Brent Burns?) is another possibility - probably more realistic given the likely need to replace Hammer after this season, and the decline of Spacek. I think Gauthier will use that money and try to address whatever he deems to be the team's most important underlying weakness.

Rumblings of Miro Satan and the Habs appear to have some life to them. Can't say I saw this coming, don't think I like it either. Nothing of an online source tying the Habs to him, this is coming from someone who's given me some scoops before...some were right, others have made me look bad. But alas, I'll pass on the information anyways. If it doesn't happen, not my fault. :)

There have, however, been rumblings that Satan would be signing in the near future, here's a Twitter one: http://twitter.com/EricEngels/status/2816335847358466

http://sportky.topky.sk/c/54694/ak-si-sata...ensku-v-zurichu

Only thing I can find on Satan: he'll play for the Slovakian national team at a tournament in Switzerland next month if he still doesn't have a NHL contract. He's not interested in signing in Europe by the sounds of things. He didn't participate for Slovakia at the Deutschland Cup, currently going on in Munich.

A little more from this person who sent the report my way (quick summary):

- Satan has more than 1 offer on the table

- Boyd waiving was related, Satan could start on a conditioning stint, then swap spots with Boyd after a couple weeks if there aren't any injuries between then

- Believed that Satan is a better fit than Guerin in Montreal, largely due to skating

- As saskhab noted, he has a backup plan so as not to come off as being desperate for a contract (I hope it's not the Spengler though, Canada always has a tough go as it is there...)

I'm still not convinced this is anything more than speculation but hey, it's something to ponder on an off-day.

A little more from this person who sent the report my way (quick summary):

- Satan has more than 1 offer on the table

- Boyd waiving was related, Satan could start on a conditioning stint, then swap spots with Boyd after a couple weeks if there aren't any injuries between then

- Believed that Satan is a better fit than Guerin in Montreal, largely due to skating

- As saskhab noted, he has a backup plan so as not to come off as being desperate for a contract (I hope it's not the Spengler though, Canada always has a tough go as it is there...)

I'm still not convinced this is anything more than speculation but hey, it's something to ponder on an off-day.

That's not the Spengler... it's club teams that get invited to that, the Canadian team is the exception to the rule. Though it is not uncommon for a ringer or two to be added to team's rosters, but I think he'd lose that waiver status since he'd be signing with a club team.

Teams at 2010 Spengler: Davos, Canada, Geneve-Servette, SKA St. Petersburg, Spartak Moscow, Sparta Prague.

The tournament that Satan would play at is between national teams (Germany, Switzerland, Slovakia, Canada I believe), and before Christmas (12th to 19th of December).

Edited by saskhab

That's not the Spengler... it's club teams that get invited to that, the Canadian team is the exception to the rule. Though it is not uncommon for a ringer or two to be added to team's rosters, but I think he'd lose that waiver status since he'd be signing with a club team.

Teams at 2010 Spengler: Davos, Canada, Geneve-Servette, SKA St. Petersburg, Spartak Moscow, Sparta Prague.

The tournament that Satan would play at is between national teams (Germany, Switzerland, Slovakia, Canada I believe), and before Christmas (12th to 19th of December).

Thanks for the clarification. For some reason, I thought the Slovaks had a team there...I also only remember 5 teams at the Spengler, interesting that there's now 6.

On the Habs..

Eklund

Word's out the Canadiens are looking like they are finally addressing the concern on defense. You won't find a bigger fan of PK Subban than myself. If every NHL player was like PK Subban the NHL would be the most popular sports league on earth. And Markov is a great player. A definitive All-Star, no matter who's picking, but he is at best injury-proned, at worst a problem.

Yesterday the Habs traded O'Byrne to the Avs for a prospect. Now I was never a huge O'Byrne fan, but the Habs aren't really in the position to go trading a D-man with size unless there is something else on the horizon. You can be assured the Habs front office remembers how the ability to fight off bigger forwards in front was the eventual downfall last year.

The two names I am hearing are of course Bieksa and also, Robyn Regehr.

One source told me..."There is a deal in the works. 95% done."

More on Satan from his agent, Mr. Tweeter himself, Allan Walsh: http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles/miros...dien-43885.html

Discussions ongoing with several teams (no team named), hopes to have more news either later today or soon.

However, Renaud Lavoie, via Twitter, says he's not in the Habs' plans: http://twitter.com/renhockey/status/3160760532340736 Here's hoping he's right.

More on Satan from his agent, Mr. Tweeter himself, Allan Walsh: http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles/miros...dien-43885.html

Discussions ongoing with several teams (no team named), hopes to have more news either later today or soon.

However, Renaud Lavoie, via Twitter, says he's not in the Habs' plans: http://twitter.com/renhockey/status/3160760532340736 Here's hoping he's right.

phew! Please no!

The only 38 y.o. guy I wouldn't mind is Jagr! On a line with Plekanec! :rolleyes:

On the Habs..

Eklund

Word's out the Canadiens are looking like they are finally addressing the concern on defense. You won't find a bigger fan of PK Subban than myself. If every NHL player was like PK Subban the NHL would be the most popular sports league on earth. And Markov is a great player. A definitive All-Star, no matter who's picking, but he is at best injury-proned, at worst a problem.

Yesterday the Habs traded O'Byrne to the Avs for a prospect. Now I was never a huge O'Byrne fan, but the Habs aren't really in the position to go trading a D-man with size unless there is something else on the horizon. You can be assured the Habs front office remembers how the ability to fight off bigger forwards in front was the eventual downfall last year.

The two names I am hearing are of course Bieksa and also, Robyn Regehr.

One source told me..."There is a deal in the works. 95% done."

Well, Regher would be interesting...

I don't get it. Where's the punchline?

What defensive problem? Barely over 2 goals against per game.

lol I know.

Montreal has one of the top Ds in the league on paper and statistically. Plus, he refers to Markov as a problem... :huh:

Habs need a FORWARD. I think Satan and Guerin (even MAB!) are more realistic than a major D trade.

lol I know.

Montreal has one of the top Ds in the league on paper and statistically. Plus, he refers to Markov as a problem... :huh:

Habs need a FORWARD. I think Satan and Guerin (even MAB!) are more realistic than a major D trade.

Yeah, I would think if the Habs added anyone, it would be a defensively responsible, hard working forward who can pot a few goals. But they can wait, because everyday, their cap space grows (technically) and they're winning games at the moment. So there really isn't a rush.

lol I know.

Both too old, been there done that. We have young players if given the chance can do the same as the too older retreads. I do not use retreads on my car.

Yeah, I would think if the Habs added anyone, it would be a defensively responsible, hard working forward who can pot a few goals. But they can wait, because everyday, their cap space grows (technically) and they're winning games at the moment. So there really isn't a rush.

Bingo, I never saw the allure with Guerin (or Satan). The Habs are better off holding off as long as they can, maximizing their cap space, and then look to go after an impact player at the deadline. (Or if injury strikes, then they can call better players up and not the Wymans of the world.)

As for the Regehr speculation, the only way I see that making sense is if they know they're cutting bait with Hamrlik and Gill for next year (and/or Markov, but I don't see him leaving) and this is a preemptive move to get someone now instead of overpaying for one of the UFA options out there. One would have to assume that Gill would have to be in such a trade (Calgary is in cap purgatory so they can't take anywhere close to matching $$$ back) to avoid having 8 D again. Of course though, like half of the Flames, Regehr has a trade restriction (NMC) in his deal. If a deal is "95% done" like is presupposed by Eklund, it won't be done for a bit as the Habs aren't in a position to take a couple extra million on in salary just yet.

If a deal is "95% done" like is presupposed by Eklund, it won't be done for a bit as the Habs aren't in a position to take a couple extra million on in salary just yet.

Of course, given the amount of done deals Eklund reports regarding the Canadiens, shouldn't we have Teemu Selanee riding shotgun with Saku Koivu right now? Frolov, Lecavalier and Bieska are all Habs as well, haven't you all heard? I like many of Hockeybuzz's bloggers, but as far as Eklund himself is concerned, he is like the tabloid of the hockey world as far I am concerned. Plus, he makes an insane amount of grammatical errors.

Oh, and by the way, the tournament you were referring to earlier is the Deustchland Cup:

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id...332/la_id/1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutschland_Cup

Edited by l.moustakas

Oh, and by the way, the tournament you were referring to earlier is the Deustchland Cup:

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id...332/la_id/1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutschland_Cup

No, that one is currently going on and in Germany. There's one in Switzerland in mid-December that involves Slovakia.

I can't find a link for it, but on International Hockey Forums (very reliable users for these things), it's apparently the Arosa Cup involving Switzerland, Slovakia, Denmark, and Belarus. That's literally all I know about it right now.

http://forums.internationalhockey.net/show...amp;postcount=5

Edited by saskhab

No, that one is currently going on and in Germany. There's one in Switzerland in mid-December that involves Slovakia.

I can't find a link for it, but on International Hockey Forums (very reliable users for these things), it's apparently the Arosa Cup involving Switzerland, Slovakia, Denmark, and Belarus. That's literally all I know about it right now.

http://forums.internationalhockey.net/show...amp;postcount=5

Really, that tourney is new to me. I knew of the Deutschland Cup and Swiss Hockey Challenge, but not the Arosa Cup... I should plan a tour of euro hockey tournaments. They all seem so random and fun.

Really, that tourney is new to me. I knew of the Deutschland Cup and Swiss Hockey Challenge, but not the Arosa Cup... I should plan a tour of euro hockey tournaments. They all seem so random and fun.

New to me as well, I knew there was an international break in mid-December, but this tourney is not well listed. It's not part of either the Euro Hockey Tour series or the Euro Ice Hockey Challenge series (neither is the Deutschland/Swiss challenge, but this involves teams from the EIHC circuit).