Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Sakic, oh c'mon, you don't really think he's availabe do you? Not a chance in hell...

its figuratively speaking to make a point that nothing dictates we have to be sellers or buyers exclusively.. We could trade a Souray or a Kovalev to one team and pick up a Sundin from another.

I wouldn't be surprised Gainey does a big Move... not Blockbuster move but a low-medium key multi-player move, involving several teams.

Because objectively speaking, Gainey or any GM in his shoes has to be asking himself if this is more than a slump...Are we not as good as we thought we were?...

Are we in fact further behind in the restructuring and building of the team than he had planned to be at this time?!

Is there an opportunity to remedy this in the present, at the deadline or during the summer? And what opportunity cost are we dealing here?

In Bob we trust.. personally I think all the smart Buying GM's are going to wait til the very end when the High risk GM (who are betting to get the cup) finish with their XMAS stick a "Theo" in your lineup shopping. we can go with more down to earth but still long term risk planning.

Because objectively speaking, Gainey or any GM in his shoes has to be asking himself if this is more than a slump...Are we not as good as we thought we were?...

Are we in fact further behind in the restructuring and building of the team than he had planned to be at this time?!

I don't think it's that easy.

Calgary, Ottawa, Anaheim, and to a lesser degree Atlanta and Buffalo have already had the same slump we have just passed through ( I say it past tense because I believe it is now over with the solid effort from last night and the 4-2 win they will get vs Jersey tonight :) )

Calgary and Ottawa specifically already had these "the sky is falling, trade everyone now and retool for a cup in a few seasons" thoughts except theirs went on for longer then the habs current skid; it just looks worse because of the timing.

I'll be more then happy when the team gets back to their start of the season form in time for the playoffs and then ride a hot goalie and a confident team to the Conference finals.

:ghg:

Edited by Habitforming

With Doan re-signing (unless it is a sign and trade ...NOT!!) it looks more and more like the old rumor of Zherdev coming to Montreal could be the only viable option.

Maybe the problematic winger could be calmed down some by fellow countryman Kovalev. The man can score a hattrick and still shows no emotion at all.

I don't think it's that easy.

Calgary, Ottawa, Anaheim, and to a lesser degree Atlanta and Buffalo have already had the same slump we have just passed through ( I say it past tense because I believe it is now over with the solid effort from last night and the 4-2 win they will get vs Jersey tonight :) )

Calgary and Ottawa specifically already had these "the sky is falling, trade everyone now and retool for a cup in a few seasons" thoughts except theirs went on for longer then the habs current skid; it just looks worse because of the timing.

I'll be more then happy when the team gets back to their start of the season form in time for the playoffs and then ride a hot goalie and a confident team to the Conference finals.

:ghg:

None of those teams had a slump last 7 weeks. Ottawa to some extent at the beginning of the season... Simply put: The Habs are 2 points out of 10th in the Conference and are in the bottom half of the league.

What exactly are we giving them?

- Kovalev: Injured, old, terrible work ethic, might net you 50 pts a season, will retire within a couple years.

- Higgins: Playing terrible of late, probably be a 20 goal scorer at best, IF he regains his hot streak he might be good enough for 1st line.

- Souray: Here is the gold, having a great season but is a terrible defenseman, will expect a huge salary increase next year. But he has alot of grit, one of the only few players on the habs with backbone.

- Prospect would probably be conditional that souray signed, as we are getting pretty close to Marleaus value, and maybe a lower level one.

What we get

- Marleau: Franchise player, instant 1st line center and 100+ pts a season player. Leader, game breaker captain. This is the kind of player we havnt had in about 15 years.

When has Marleau hit 100 points before? Never has, probably never will.

And then you underrate our players in the deal. Kovalev is not as bad as you make him out to be and Souray is definitely not a "terrible defenceman" and Higgins is just a great player, both ways, works hard, takes hits, scores, etc.

San Jose won't trade Marleau anyway so there's no point wasting out team speculating about offers.

When has Marleau hit 100 points before? Never has, probably never will.

And then you underrate our players in the deal. Kovalev is not as bad as you make him out to be and Souray is definitely not a "terrible defenceman" and Higgins is just a great player, both ways, works hard, takes hits, scores, etc.

San Jose won't trade Marleau anyway so there's no point wasting out team speculating about offers.

The trade was just a farce anyways, the salaries are way off.

Personally I think Ryan Smyth would be the best choice we could make.

The trade was just a farce anyways, the salaries are way off.

Personally I think Ryan Smyth would be the best choice we could make.

Do you think Ryan Smyth is really available?

I haven't heard anything about him being shopped or even on the market.

What would the Oilers want for Smyth? They would no doubt ask for more then his true worth because he is such a huge part of their team.

marleau still seems more real to me then the possibility of Smyth.

Let's hope i'm wrong.

for what it's worth, Eklund has this to say

"I am also hearing more Zherdev to Montreal Rumors, and I am about to go into a meeting with a montreal source in the next few minutes to discuss a rumor I am chasing that the Habs may be in the verge of something bigger. I will report back"

this as of 5:30 pm est

What would the Oilers want for Smyth? They would no doubt ask for more then his true worth because he is such a huge part of their team.

Let's hope i'm wrong.

"I am also hearing more Zherdev to Montreal Rumors, and I am about to go into a meeting with a montreal source in the next few minutes to discuss a rumor I am chasing that the Habs may be in the verge of something bigger. I will report back"

He is supposedly a free agent next season (I think) and have heard rumours about either the team not going to sign him or he wanted to test the free agency waters. But if anyone could turn this team around it would be him, no one in the league plays like this guy, he is old time hockey.

Let's hope i'm wrong.

Although I am unsure how credible Eklund is - as many people are - when you hear things like this it interests me. Zherdev would be a good pick up IMO. Very young player and very skilled.

Edited by habsfan88

None of those teams had a slump last 7 weeks. Ottawa to some extent at the beginning of the season... Simply put: The Habs are 2 points out of 10th in the Conference and are in the bottom half of the league.

If Calgary's skid from the start of the season wasn't 7 weeks it was awful close. 7 weeks for the Habs is open for debate and based on ones opinion of when it actually started. Anaheim is 5-11-2 in the last 4-5 weeks ( 2-0 losers last night to the not so powerful Avs) not far off from the 7 weeks that you quote and this is with a healthy team for the last 3 games. Buffalo and Atlanta are also looking very normal now.

The point is that in the last 20 or so games the Sens and Flames ended the skid and played well enogh to sit where they do now ( with home ice) so without being a pessimist..... why can't the habs?

He is supposedly a free agent next season (I think) and have heard rumours about either the team not going to sign him or he wanted to test the free agency waters. But if anyone could turn this team around it would be him, no one in the league plays like this guy, he is old time hockey.

He is old time hockey for sure.

I have a hard time thinking that the habs would offer enough to gt him. i think some teams would sell the farm for this guy.

I've never wanted to be more wrong about it though.

Although I am unsure how credible Eklund is - as many people are - when you hear things like this it interests me. Zherdev would be a good pick up IMO. Very young player and very skilled.

Agreed, but the impact of his dressing room demeaner could be a bad thing. we did just rid ourselves of Ribs and theo for the same reason.

Does anyone know if his attitude is blown out of proportion or not?

He'd be a similar situation to Samsonov's. Just that Zherdev has even more potential. He has potential to be one of the top offensive threats in the league someday. We'll see if he ever makes it.

He'd be a similar situation to Samsonov's. Just that Zherdev has even more potential. He has potential to be one of the top offensive threats in the league someday. We'll see if he ever makes it.

Indeed.

I have not seen him play often, however last season he scored 27 goals which is quite impressive. He's sucking this year, and he's been dubbed as a "lazy Russian", however with a change of scenery I have hope that he can find his legs again. Afterall, he is only 22 years old.

If Calgary's skid from the start of the season wasn't 7 weeks it was awful close. 7 weeks for the Habs is open for debate and based on ones opinion of when it actually started. Anaheim is 5-11-2 in the last 4-5 weeks ( 2-0 losers last night to the not so powerful Avs) not far off from the 7 weeks that you quote and this is with a healthy team for the last 3 games. Buffalo and Atlanta are also looking very normal now.

The point is that in the last 20 or so games the Sens and Flames ended the skid and played well enogh to sit where they do now ( with home ice) so without being a pessimist..... why can't the habs?

He is old time hockey for sure.

I have a hard time thinking that the habs would offer enough to gt him. i think some teams would sell the farm for this guy.

I've never wanted to be more wrong about it though.

Agreed, but the impact of his dressing room demeaner could be a bad thing. we did just rid ourselves of Ribs and theo for the same reason.

Does anyone know if his attitude is blown out of proportion or not?

LOL, I did not pull 7 weeks out of a hat. That is the horrible fact....wait a second. Taking another look it is almost 8 weeks.

Since December 23rd the team has 7 wins and 16 losses. Only 1 of those losses was in OT. That is no small slump.

With the situation we have and the trade potential or power we have there is no doubt we can only get players with some CONS involved!

At least this one is young enough he can be changed a bit

Plus he's born the same day I am! he'll be awesome! ;)

LOL, I did not pull 7 weeks out of a hat. That is the horrible fact....wait a second. Taking another look it is almost 8 weeks.

Since December 23rd the team has 7 wins and 16 losses. Only 1 of those losses was in OT. That is no small slump.

I didn't say you were pulling it out of your hat. It's easy to look at the schedule and say "wow they lost from here to here, that makes 8 weeks." We are talking about the teams desire, effort, and production not just about wins and losses.

I don't think it started on Dec 23rd that's all. I think the team showed there was a problem on dec 30th losing to Tampa Bay 3-1 while only mustering 13 shots for the game, and the skid strted full blown on or around the the Jan 13th blowout vs Ottawa where we lost 8-3 dispite outshooting them 40-33

He also has the work ethic of Kovalev! There is a reason BJ fans want this guy gone and we are already full of complaining unproducing russians. Lets not compound our bad position and make things worse.

lol, Eklund has Horcoff for Markov

ROFL last thing we need is a no talent like Horcoff and losing a franchise Dman at the same time.

Streamer beat me to it. Edmonton would LOVE this deal.

lol, Eklund has Horcoff for Markov

ROFL last thing we need is a no talent like Horcoff and losing a franchise Dman at the same time.

I was listening to Eklund on Xm and he mentioned this trade but did say montreal would need more then just horcoff for markov. He also mentioned that montreal was his second favour team and he also comapred horcoff to a future marleau lol.

Horcoff is a very hard worker and not affraid to get his nose dirty but to say he is a future Marleau may be a stretch. I doubt Markov is traded but his UFA status may make Bob pull the trigger and try to bring him back in July.

Horcoff is a very hard worker and not affraid to get his nose dirty but to say he is a future Marleau may be a stretch. I doubt Markov is traded but his UFA status may make Bob pull the trigger and try to bring him back in July.

heck I'd say Horcoff is a Higgins, he's good, but I wouldn't give up things we need (Markov) for things we already have (Higgins)...

I would give up package of pieces and parts for him... e.g. Pleks, Dandenault, picks, sticks

I think this would be a bad move because Markov is too young and would have the possibility to sign wherever he wants, even TORONTO AAAAHHHHRRRHHH. Bob should sign him RIGHT NOW for 3 more years or even 4 or 5.

I'd give him a contract like : 3 millions in 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 and then 4 millions in 2009-2010, 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 with a team option for the last season.

Also, my target list would be : Holmstrom, Stoll and maybe Anson Carter.

Markov for Smyth would be closer to value, other than him edmonton doesnt have players we need. And Kovalev seriously needs to be traded, he has become a cancer and his value is respectable right now because if anyone wants a cup run this is the guy they should look at.

I have no problem missing the playoffs this year as long as it isn't completely in vain.

The Russians (Kovalev especially) Seem to step it up when they're playing for their country... and amid all the rumors of Malkins family being threatened etc, perhaps the solution is for management to start threatening the players families? I mean, if wearing the logo of the most storied franchise in hockey history isn't enough to get your legs moving, what else are we to do?

On a more serious note, instead of trading everyone, maybe these guys need to have a chat from Jean Beliveau, or one of the other old time habs who know what it's like to wear the CH on their chest proudly...

The Russians (Kovalev especially) Seem to step it up when they're playing for their country... and amid all the rumors of Malkins family being threatened etc, perhaps the solution is for management to start threatening the players families? I mean, if wearing the logo of the most storied franchise in hockey history isn't enough to get your legs moving, what else are we to do?

On a more serious note, instead of trading everyone, maybe these guys need to have a chat from Jean Beliveau, or one of the other old time habs who know what it's like to wear the CH on their chest proudly...

The visit from three ghosts of the habs... from the habs past... habs present ... the habs to be....

Just like A Christmas Carol