Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

yeah, something like a conditional 5th that becomes 3rd if Habs make it to the 2nd round or if are able to re-sign him

If all that Ottawa is guaranteed is a 5th, I can't help but wonder if they'd decide to keep Phillips. The optics of dealing him for what could be at best a mid 3rd round pick would be lousy.

If all that Ottawa is guaranteed is a 5th, I can't help but wonder if they'd decide to keep Phillips. The optics of dealing him for what could be at best a mid 3rd round pick would be lousy.

If Montreal is the only team on Philips' list, we are the one with the bigger hand..

I'm not even sure i understand wanting phillips unless he is resigned. They would have Hamrlik, Specek, Gill as left D. Unless JM wants to pair Spacek ans hamrlik together again. Sitting Weber and playing him with Wis.

They need some size and toughness.

Then think of all the UFA defenseman they would have? it doesn't make alot of sense.

If picking up Philips now means PG can trade a Dman (phiplips again) in 6 days from now at a higher price or to get a top 6 physical forward then go for it. but its just to close to deadline. I do Think PG is going to do some major changes and it wont be for the good of this season!

Gainey and PG were in the same position when they dealt Craig Rivet... THey are still at the helm, I don't think they will differ in their stance... Boston and Philly are just to improved in comparison.

Only way would be that there is a 100% chance That Markov and Gorges will be back 100% healthy for the last few games of the season.

Then PG could trade to get a top forward

Ditto for Kaberle with Boston and he didn't go for a mid pick.

Kaberle made a list of more teams, Boston was just his priority. The Bruins also intend to re-sign him.

I did last week too. :) One of the more underrated d-men in the league, in my opinion.

According to Mathias Brunet as well. He said that he "shines" in defense while playing over 25 mins.

I think it's more in the sense that "People believe that the Habs are frontrunnes...".

Not that they actually are. Easy statement to do.

More than likely. I'm not sure Penner moves by Monday to be honest, I think the Oilers will stand pat on their big 2.

Kovalev to the Pens, at least he didn't become a habs.

Now the habs need to go get Neil. He is the last man standing in Ottawa

Well, the Sens picked up Svatos off waivers, so basically they have improved their team and created lots of space under the salary cap.

I might be the only one who thinks this... but how do the Habs not make an offer of a 6th round pick and get Kovalev.

I know he takes games off, but when he wants to play he can be a dominant player. Look at that Boston series when he took the slash and let them have that game, he became a force afterwards.

I just think he'd of been a nice addition to a team needing offense. And no roster player going the other way...

A.Kost - Eller - Kovalev??? Could have been an exciting 4th line.

I might be the only one who thinks this... but how do the Habs not make an offer of a 6th round pick and get Kovalev.

I know he takes games off, but when he wants to play he can be a dominant player. Look at that Boston series when he took the slash and let them have that game, he became a force afterwards.

I just think he'd of been a nice addition to a team needing offense. And no roster player going the other way...

A.Kost - Eller - Kovalev??? Could have been an exciting 4th line.

gasp... agreed...

but i fear think PG is still looking for someone on the top two lines. Sens offered Kovy to Mtl numerous times for the exact same pick, PG held off because he still wants to get something better... had Kovy still been available at the deadline perhaps

Edited by CoRvInA

I too am shocked we didn't grab Kovy for a 6th rounder. We desperately need another winger to play with either plek or Gomez, Kovy loved the Habs and he is playing for a contract. I figured the price would be higher then that, but at that price, I would have jumped all over him. Some risk, but no real cost. Huge short term upside.

I too am shocked we didn't grab Kovy for a 6th rounder. We desperately need another winger to play with either plek or Gomez, Kovy loved the Habs and he is playing for a contract. I figured the price would be higher then that, but at that price, I would have jumped all over him. Some risk, but no real cost. Huge short term upside.

Who gets dealt/re-assigned to make up the difference since the Habs couldn't absorb Kovalev straight up? Eller barely fits, but that would have locked the roster in to the point where no further callups could be made.

I thought we could cover him, its only 20 games... I guess much depends on Spacek's health. Now I was thinking before we traded for Sopel..

Eller should go down in any case. I think he would be progressing better if he played 20 games in the AHL, ala Pacs.

Who gets dealt/re-assigned to make up the difference since the Habs couldn't absorb Kovalev straight up? Eller barely fits, but that would have locked the roster in to the point where no further callups could be made.

I thought we could cover him, its only 20 games... I guess much depends on Spacek's health. Now I was thinking before we traded for Sopel..

Eller should go down in any case. I think he would be progressing better if he played 20 games in the AHL, ala Pacs.

I just noted this in the trade thread actually, but the figures I cite are full season ones. Makes it easy to compare who is affordable that way. Frankly, I agree on Eller, especially if they make a move for a forward later on.

Look dlbalr, I am the GM, you are the capologist. I want Kovy.. make it work. :)

I just noted this in the trade thread actually, but the figures I cite are full season ones. Makes it easy to compare who is affordable that way. Frankly, I agree on Eller, especially if they make a move for a forward later on.

What about Dustin Brown in LA... he might be available since LA wants to go after a big impact player like Brad Richards, Jason Spezza or Alexander Semin. Brown is a decent goal scorer having notched four 20-goal seasons in a row. Maybe a trade involving Kostitsyn, Weber and something else could be worked out. LA could then flip some of those pieces for a big name player they're coveting. Just a thought.