Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I think Brassard still has a ton of potential, but is playing like absolute shit in Columbus this season.

He started to break out last year.

This one is 50/50 to me.... He could really take off with a change of scenery, or he could end up being Benoit Pouliot.

His cap hit is 3.2 million.

We have such a need for the 2nd line centre spot, and he might be the answer... but I'm really torn on this. I guess it depends on who were giving up.

Send them Weber... boom done.

Eklund has Montreal involved in trade talks for Brassard.

Hey dlbalr, pick a smiley: how do you feel about getting an Allan Walsh client in Montreal?

:hyper::scared: or :D ?

Not like the Habs haven't had one before in recent years. As for Brassard, I sincerely hope they'd give up nothing of value for him. He's over hyped and overpaid, not exactly a good combination going into a Montreal pressure cooker.

To answer your question though, these would be the emoticons that come to mind in no particular order:

:wall::1vomit::thumbs_down:

<p>Just as a quick look... Here are Brassard's career stats

2007-08 17 games 1 goals 1 assists 2 points 6 PIMs -4

2008-09 31 games 10 goals 15 assists 25 points 17 PIMs +12

2009-10 79 games 9 goals 27 assists 36 points 48 PIMS -17

2010-11 74 games 17 goals 30 assists 47 points 55 PIMs -11

2011-12 18 games 2 goals 2 assists 4 points 4 PIMs -11

Age 24:   Ht: 6'1"  Wt: 199 LBs

Those don't tell the whole tale though. This is a player who put up those stats playing on Columbus' top line with regularity. On a team with actual depth, those numbers would go down as they have with the Jackets this season. On a good team, I'm not convinced he can put up more than 35 points in a season as he's not good enough to hack it as a top-6 guy on most playoff teams.

Thats definitely one view of the situation. The other is he's'being held back in cbj.

Im torn. 50 percent chance he's another Pouliot, talented kid who cant put that talent together to be more than a defensively challenged, third tier offensive threat. A guy who is not worth is. 50 percent chance he is a good player on the verge of breaking out with a change of scenery.

Thats definitely one view of the situation. The other is he's'being held back in cbj.

Im torn. 50 percent chance he's another Pouliot, talented kid who cant put that talent together to be more than a defensively challenged, third tier offensive threat. A guy who is not worth is. 50 percent chance he is a good player on the verge of breaking out with a change of scenery.

IMO this is exactly why the Habs can not take the chance on Brassard. The Habs have a lot of players who are in that label. I can see the game of numbers PG might be playing yet as a fan of this hockey club (and no other, just players and systems preached at times), I would to see the team make a trade for a 'blue chip' superstar. Cost of such a trade is another can of worms. CBJ has other members on that team I see with a 'better' fit in that sense.

But just cause the chances of getting Nash out to us, kinda slim. can I suggest Letestu? Does anyone think same?

Like I mentioned the chance of getting Nash I think are kinda slim. I think the price for such a trade is one that would be harsh.

I would see it at along the lines of something the Laffs gave for Kessel (sp?) maybe Howson would even ask for an established young player too bcuz our season doesn't seem all done.

what I ment by Letestu is he would be maybe more along the line of what could be market value.

His bust/glory ratio is more better in that sense IMO

Now the fact that he just got to CBJ does make him kinda untouchable yet maybe if PG would offer say ... a pick (2nd or lower) and a Palusaj (sp?) type player (good prospect more less league ready) I think it could be done and the risk of loss/win still stays better then what it would take to get Brassard.

I see Brassard coming this way for Kosty as buck for buck trade or if Howson is a greedy man then for an Eller and prospect/ 1st rd pick

In the case of the latter I would see the risk as to high to take on Brassard.

I like Eller at Center and I like Timmins work. Sure he might have missed a couple here and there but overall he is a solid man in his job.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant

Like I mentioned the chance of getting Nash I think are kinda slim. I think the price for such a trade is one that would be harsh.

I would see it at along the lines of something the Laffs gave for Kessel (sp?) maybe Howson would even ask for an established young player too bcuz our season doesn't seem all done.

what I ment by Letestu is he would be maybe more along the line of what could be market value.

His bust/glory ratio is more better in that sense IMO

Now the fact that he just got to CBJ does make him kinda untouchable yet maybe if PG would offer say ... a pick (2nd or lower) and a Palusaj (sp?) type player (good prospect more less league ready) I think it could be done and the risk of loss/win still stays better then what it would take to get Brassard.

I see Brassard coming this way for Kosty as buck for buck trade or if Howson is a greedy man then for an Eller and prospect/ 1st rd pick

In the case of the latter I would see the risk as to high to take on Brassard.

I like Eller at Center and I like Timmins work. Sure he might have missed a couple here and there but overall he is a solid man in his job.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant

I agree, and I wouldn't do either of those trades for Brassard because the bust potential is too high.  This is a guy who is a regular healthy scratch for that team.  I don't think Howson has a leg to stand on if he wanted Eller + a prospect or pick.... hell I don't think Brassard is worth the first rounder alone right now.  The contract is too big and the bust potential/current level of play is too low.  The only way I take a chance on him is if you could get him at a discount because of where he is in Columbus right now. My idea here is that you get a guy who has been devalued in Columbus, and maybe we end up on the winning side of one of these trades for once. Instead of being the team that gave away Sergei Kostitsyn or Mike Ribeiro when they were at their lowest value... we are the team that takes the kid with potential and rehabilitates him.

I agree, and I wouldn't do either of those trades for Brassard because the bust potential is too high. This is a guy who is a regular healthy scratch for that team. I don't think Howson has a leg to stand on if he wanted Eller + a prospect or pick.... hell I don't think Brassard is worth the first rounder alone right now. The contract is too big and the bust potential/current level of play is too low. The only way I take a chance on him is if you could get him at a discount because of where he is in Columbus right now. My idea here is that you get a guy who has been devalued in Columbus, and maybe we end up on the winning side of one of these trades for once. Instead of being the team that gave away Sergei Kostitsyn or Mike Ribeiro when they were at their lowest value... we are the team that takes the kid with potential and rehabilitates him.

As a fan of the Habs this is what I want too... well that if we can't get Nash that is :)

I see Brassard alot like Bernier. Has that potential but many people here are drawn more by the name than the ability.

The kid has a mangled shoulder so I would not part with AK46 in exchange for him. Doesn't mean I wouldn't take a chance but it certainly would not be for one of our best forwards unless Columbus added something extra.

Like Kostitsyn and Weber for Brassard and ..........

Assuming that Markov isn't finished, the Habs should be looking for a bona-fide upgrade at C - an upgrade on Nokonleinen wouldn't be bad, but really, it's that pesky #1A slot that needs work - not adding more fringe players and problematic 'projects.' I tend to favour leaving things more or less alone and waiting for the team to (somehow) get healthy...or else making a big move for Staal, Stastny or Ryan. We've got plenty of middling-to-low quality depth and don't need more.

I wouldn't go near Statsny. makes too much and would be yet another small center to add to the mix. If we acquire a center then I guess that means that one of Desharnais or Eller will be gone because I personally wouldn't want to see either of these guys on the 4th line again assuming that Gomez is either not on this team or used as a winger.

I wonder if the teams would see something like Desharnais and Weber to Columbus for Brassard?

I wouldn't go near Statsny. makes too much and would be yet another small center to add to the mix. If we acquire a center then I guess that means that one of Desharnais or Eller will be gone because I personally wouldn't want to see either of these guys on the 4th line again assuming that Gomez is either not on this team or used as a winger.

I wonder if the teams would see something like Desharnais and Weber to Columbus for Brassard?

So trade a guy going for around a 50 point season and a young defencemen for a guy who has yet to hit 50? Who got less then 50 when playing with Nash? umm... why?

I wouldn't go near Statsny.  makes too much and would be yet another small center to add to the mix.  If we acquire a center then I guess that means that one of Desharnais or Eller will be gone because I personally wouldn't want to see either of these guys on the 4th line again assuming that Gomez is either not on this team or used as a winger.

if we acquire the 1a center it means Gomez is gone (either hamilton or traded) and I think DD becomes a third line winger.

For starters Nash is not a big point producer. Even going back to his junior days where most picks dominate he has never been much more than a point per game player. 79 is the most he ever got in any season in any league.

Second although the plan was for them to play with one another Brassard was not always the center of choice for Nash. Nash was rotated with Umberger, Brassard, Vermette so you cannot compare his stats as a cause and effect with the production of Nash.

With that said Weber will amount to nothing with this team. He is one of many of the same type of player and right now is the 8th or 9th d-man on the depth chart.

Desharnais is the question mark. The guy is an NHLer for sure and gives it his all but he is one of many of the same type of players. Gomez, Pleks, Desharnais, all small. Nobody on the horizon capable either. Maybe it's just me but I would rather take a chance with a 6'1 center who's a good distributer of the puck then another small center.

if we acquire the 1a center it means Gomez is gone (either hamilton or traded) and I think DD becomes a third line winger.

I just don't see the team shedding Gomez to the minors. As much as it is almost necessary I just don't see it happening.

At this point and with his contract I think brassard has little value. I think you'd get him for weber alone.

Not sure.....I mean Weber has no value either but with Brassard we may be seeing another Blake Comeau sorot of thing. Try to trade or waivers???

Not sure.....I mean Weber has no value either but with Brassard we may be seeing another Blake Comeau sorot of thing.  Try to trade or waivers???

Weber doesn't have great value but has some still as teams are always looking for an extra PP guy and RH shooting defencemen are harder to come by; plus he's young. I agree he's not got great value, but Brassard is turning himself into a salary dump and Weber is cheap.

Imagine the perception now. Weber can't even find his way into the line-up of a depleted D-core. Teams won;t offer up anything for him I don't think.....but I do think he will be dealt. Then he'll go on to bigger and better things like the rest of our discarded players.

Imagine the perception now.  Weber can't even find his way into the line-up of a depleted D-core.  Teams won;t offer up anything for him I don't think.....but I do think he will be dealt.  Then he'll go on to bigger and better things like the rest of our discarded players.

O'Byrne hadn't played in how many games when he was traded?