Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

The Olympics abandonned the requirements that athletes be amateur almost 25 years ago. They allowed pro hockey players (including NHLers) into the 1988 games in Calgary. Only the NHL did not shut down and only a few players were released (Jim Peplinski and Brian Bradley were two examples of players released by their NHL clubs to play in the games).

Yeah they did for the reasons I stated above. Who put the NCAA in charge of deciding who is an amateur. Is that by default? I think that train will come to a sqeaking halt in the near future.

Yeah they did for the reasons I stated above. Who put the NCAA in charge of deciding who is an amateur. Is that by default? I think that train will come to a sqeaking halt in the near future.

they don't decide who is amateur or not, they decide who is NCAA eligible.

they don't decide who is amateur or not, they decide who is NCAA eligible.

Yeah your right again. But again, the NCAA has huge problems in there own ranks around elligiblity and what stipends are acceptable. There is a ferocious appetite at least in the football world of the NCAA to give the students/players a bigger portion of the millions of dollar pie. This will throw the proverbial fly in the ointment.

Absolutely, the pay for play arguments always start in football, and to a lesser extent basketball.

I doubt many boosters are paying big money to NCAA hockey players under the table.

I guess where I am going with it is, when you change the dimension of elligibility, that cuts across all sports. That would leave you to believe that the vale would have to be lifted for CHL elligibility. Theorically, one could not begrudge a CHL player from having a professional contract, if in fact there were payments beyond just tuition for NCAA football players.

This is more provocative than name that dog. The topic selection is getting pretty thin. Hopefully somebody has something in the near future.

everyone is just silent waiting for the 16th....

everyone is just silent waiting for the 16th....

Question: With much ado about the players needing to clear waivers, was there anyone actually pirated anywhere? Secondly was there any rule changes, behind the door wink wink agreements that we can account pertaining to this waiver period?

Question: With much ado about the players needing to clear waivers, was there anyone actually pirated anywhere? Secondly was there any rule changes, behind the door wink wink agreements that we can account pertaining to this waiver period?

Nope, everyone that hit the waiver wire cleared. The AHL created a special category where players who were on a clear day list/finished the season in the AHL were eligible to sign minor league deals and avoid the waiver process. That's not a permanent rule change though, just something put in place for the lockout.

Beauchemin was grabbed in 2004, I think that is what teams were scared of.

• 2 weeks later...

Bergevin to speak to the media tonight. Hope this puts to rest the Code of Silence. I expect we all would like to hear from Dudley/Therrian and Timmins from time to time. Things may be looking up.

What did he say?

I saw Dudley in Kingston last Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont even think any NHL player undercontract can play KHL but;

would it be that bad if Markov was gone for good?

Many question whether his knee will even hold up through the end of 2013-14 season?

No one would lay any big wager that the Habs will win the cup this year and many expect another down year, so really would Markov make that big a difference, maybe help squeek into playoffs i suppose?

Already a bit of logjam on the backend and more so come next fall, with room needed for Beaulieu, Tinordi and/or Ellis most lkely.

Yes, it would be bad.

Markov is an elite defenceman when on his game. When off his game like he was last season he was still our second best all around defenceman.

I keep seeing this argument that we could use Markov's cap space for something else. (not just this site, but H I/O too).

What is this "something else"

I think its likely to be an all around defenceman who can play against top lines and on the powerplay. So remind me why we need to get rid of Markov and make Cap Space again.

• Upvote 1

Sounds to me like he just doesn't want to put down his current team in Russia. He'll be back if and when the lockout ends.

Yes, it would be bad.

Markov is an elite defenceman when on his game. When off his game like he was last season he was still our second best all around defenceman.

But like most, you seem to question whether he will be "on his game"

and i dont disagree that at 80-90% he is better than most d-men and am not for getting rid of him.

But i see this lineup with Markov as 10th-7th place team and without him maybe 11th-8th, so 1 spot may be important in squeeking into playoffs and likely getting smoked by Rangers/Bruins.

But for long term goal of being a "realistic" contender for cup is quite irrelevant if Markov plays/not; because until the young group of NHLers and prospects like, Subban/Yemelin/Eller/Pacioretty/Beaulieu/Tinordi/Gallagher/etc develop and mature to add more offense and depth, Habs will likley be what they have been for almost 20 years, a quite mediocre team.

But who knows, with all the parity in the league and if all the stars align, anything is possible and future does look pretty good also.

But like most, you seem to question whether he will be "on his game"

and i dont disagree that at 80-90% he is better than most d-men and am not for getting rid of him.

But i see this lineup with Markov as 10th-7th place team and without him maybe 11th-8th, so 1 spot may be important in squeeking into playoffs and likely getting smoked by Rangers/Bruins.

But for long term goal of being a "realistic" contender for cup is quite irrelevant if Markov plays/not; because until the young group of NHLers and prospects like, Subban/Yemelin/Eller/Pacioretty/Beaulieu/Tinordi/Gallagher/etc develop and mature to add more offense and depth, Habs will likley be what they have been for almost 20 years, a quite mediocre team.

But who knows, with all the parity in the league and if all the stars align, anything is possible and future does look pretty good also.

Honestly, your last sentence sums up my exact thoughts. Last season, an 8th place seeded team won the Stanley Cup. I am currently living in Los Angeles myself and even I didn't pick them to go past the Conference Finals. I will admit that on paper the Kings actually do have a Stanley Cup worthy roster but the point remains that like you said, with the parity in the league these days, anything can happen.

Similar to the fact that discussing the impact Markov will have this season would depend on plenty of "ifs", stating that we will finish somewhere between 8th-10th with him may be an educated guess but it is not something that is written in stone. Furthermore, saying that we will only move up the ladder one spot with him in the lineup is nothing more than personal opinion. I won't go into much detail about what we all already know; we lost plenty of one goal games last season and an effective powerplay could have won us many, many of those games.

The one thing I do know for sure is that we want Markov in the lineup... Honestly, our memories must be very short because this is almost akin to Detroit's fan base wanting Lidstrom to stay in Sweden after a year or two of unfortunate injuries. We should be welcoming him back with open arms, regardless of whether or not he will be the same.

Honestly, your last sentence sums up my exact thoughts. Last season, an 8th place seeded team won the Stanley Cup. I am currently living in Los Angeles myself and even I didn't pick them to go past the Conference Finals. I will admit that on paper the Kings actually do have a Stanley Cup worthy roster but the point remains that like you said, with the parity in the league these days, anything can happen.

Similar to the fact that discussing the impact Markov will have this season would depend on plenty of "ifs", stating that we will finish somewhere between 8th-10th with him may be an educated guess but it is not something that is written in stone. Furthermore, saying that we will only move up the ladder one spot with him in the lineup is nothing more than personal opinion. I won't go into much detail about what we all already know; we lost plenty of one goal games last season and an effective powerplay could have won us many, many of those games.

The one thing I do know for sure is that we want Markov in the lineup... Honestly, our memories must be very short because this is almost akin to Detroit's fan base wanting Lidstrom to stay in Sweden after a year or two of unfortunate injuries. We should be welcoming him back with open arms, regardless of whether or not he will be the same.

I wouldnt disagree with anything you say, and Markov does make al those around him better, and yes just personal opinion, so could be bit out to lunch for sure, but am almost used to not having him i guess.

I wouldnt disagree with anything you say, and Markov does make al those around him better, and yes just personal opinion, so could be bit out to lunch for sure, but am almost used to not having him i guess.

That's a bad thing, not a good thing. It's not like Andrei Kostitsyn where we have a plethora of negative memories of the guy not performing.