Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Odd statement, considering he didn't know his role in Montreal and was traded because of it.

Max long ago accepted "his role." Players learn and grow. Anyway, it is what it is; I felt the trade was stupid at the time, and I think our failure to sign him now was also somewhat stupid - but it does fit with MB's policy of giving the young guys room to grow (in this case, White).

Guest Stogey24

Odd statement, considering he didn't know his role in Montreal and was traded because of it.

I'm not really sure why I'm defending Lappiere of all players. I just think he would have been an upgrade to White.

Yeah, really. White played half the amount of games that Lappiere did. In the regular season Max was almost 51% on the draw and averaging over 2 hits a game(without the game costing penalties).Lappiere may not have the best track record, but knows his role and brings some added scoring deeper in the line up. I'm honestly surprised White was offered another contract.

Lol. Don, I just noticed your favourite player. Things are starting to make a lot.more sense now.

Yes, a bias for sure, thought White was super back when with the Hitmen as a centre and if given a regular shift I think will do fine and adds just a bit more toughness and grit than yapper. Not that I am a big Max hater, just we dont need anymore bottom six signings.

Guest Stogey24

It doesn't even matter how many faceoffs white wins. To me with his limited footspeed and vision, he can't play centre. He should be a RW. Lapierre on the other hand can be effective as a fourth line C

I was reading somewhere that when Therrien was on the panel for TVA sports or what ever chanel that was. Apparently he was chirpin' Lappiere's play. Now obviously that's not the reason he didn't sign, but I'm guessing the Habs wanted no part of Lappiere.

I think Bergevin should be giving Kadri an offer sheet. If he offers $25mil over 5 years there is no downside. He's a significant upgrade as a #1 centre on our club. He's big and plays it and he grew up a Habs fan. We would lose a 1st and 3rd next year. Historically 3rd round pics don't tend to work out, and if we continue our current progression our 1st will be hopefully number 22-30. That's not too much to give up for a top C for the next 5 years.

If Nonis matches the offer, they will have to give up on Cody Franson as they don't have the cap space for both. It's a win win, and it would screw the Leafs either way.

There seems to be some sort of weird fraternity between GM's where they don't like to do this, and I have no idea why not. You are supposed to do whatever it takes to make your club better, and that includes hurting other GM's feelings.

I think Bergevin should be giving Kadri an offer sheet. If he offers $25mil over 5 years there is no downside. He's a significant upgrade as a #1 centre on our club. He's big and plays it and he grew up a Habs fan. We would lose a 1st and 3rd next year. Historically 3rd round pics don't tend to work out, and if we continue our current progression our 1st will be hopefully number 22-30. That's not too much to give up for a top C for the next 5 years.

If Nonis matches the offer, they will have to give up on Cody Franson as they don't have the cap space for both. It's a win win, and it would screw the Leafs either way.

There seems to be some sort of weird fraternity between GM's where they don't like to do this, and I have no idea why not. You are supposed to do whatever it takes to make your club better, and that includes hurting other GM's feelings.

It is all well and good for fans to be a bit petty and spiteful, but Bergevin has to deal with the 29 other GMs and is a 2 way street as far as offer sheets. So likely dosent pay to go around pissing them off and then next thing you are looking at is a $5-6m offer to Galchenyuk/Gallagher that must be matched.

Guest Stogey24

Montreal doesn't have the cap space.

Montreal doesn't have the cap space.

We can move a few pieces to make the room. I don't think that's an issue at all. Even if we offered him $4mil, that puts Nonis in a tough spot. I understand it's a two way street, and the rules are there for a reason, it should be a two way street. It makes GM's get their guys locked up or they could lose them. The rule is there, I think it should be there to be used.

I don't understand why a GM cares if he "pisses another GM off". Shouldn't be his concern, his only concern is to make his club better, his responsibility should be to his team and his fans. If another GM want's to offer Gallagher a sheet next year that's fine, we either match or take the compensation. I have no issue with that at all.

We can move a few pieces to make the room. I don't think that's an issue at all. Even if we offered him $4mil, that puts Nonis in a tough spot. I understand it's a two way street, and the rules are there for a reason, it should be a two way street. It makes GM's get their guys locked up or they could lose them. The rule is there, I think it should be there to be used.

I don't understand why a GM cares if he "pisses another GM off". Shouldn't be his concern, his only concern is to make his club better, his responsibility should be to his team and his fans. If another GM want's to offer Gallagher a sheet next year that's fine, we either match or take the compensation. I have no issue with that at all.

It's not some weird sensitivity to other GMs' feelings; it's more like a gentleman's agreement that "I won't raid you if you don't raid me." We can go after Kadri, but then we make ourselves targets when it comes to Galchenyuk, Gallagher, etc., etc; and had we done this in the past, we would have been inviting a predatory offer on Subban. Any team with a lot of young talent should avoid this route, IMHO. This strategy is best reserved for teams (such as the Canucks) that have a veteran squad and a dearth of elite young talent in the system.

It's not some weird sensitivity to other GMs' feelings; it's more like a gentleman's agreement that "I won't raid you if you don't raid me." We can go after Kadri, but then we make ourselves targets when it comes to Galchenyuk, Gallagher, etc., etc; and had we done this in the past, we would have been inviting a predatory offer on Subban. Any team with a lot of young talent should avoid this route, IMHO. This strategy is best reserved for teams (such as the Canucks) that have a veteran squad and a dearth of elite young talent in the system.

I don't have any concrete on it but I was told by a Detroit sports reporter personally that Detroit and Philly made offer sheets to Subban and he just didn't sign them, not wanting to risk his spot on Montreal. You never hear about the offer sheets that are not signed, only the ones that are.Could have been fluff by the reporter but at the time it made a ton of sense for Detroit. They really don't have anyone Montreal would be predatory about and they have a tendency to give away first round picks anyway.

If the Habs weren't willing to offer anything but a bridge to Subban, how bad would it look if less than a year later, they throw a long-term deal to Kadri coming off of his ELC?

The Kadri talk is crazy talk, this kind of move makes us eligible for backlash with our own talent like Subban next summer, or the Gally kids.

karma is a mean lady, and she always waits around the corner with a baseball bat for those who deserve it. Might even start with Toronto saying fine keep him when we offer the 5 mill a year contract, and then what? we get a 5 million dollar player with 100 nhl games in, 1 good half season under his belt, any idea how disastrous that could become if he follows it up with a sophmore jinx? not to mention we need the cap space to keep Subban and Markov.

Realistically, would Kadri accept? We can't offer him big money, it's Montreal and he plays for the Leafs, and we're stocked at center where Toronto isn't. He has to earn a spot in the top-3 center position with us, where with Toronto he has a top-2 slot pretty much penciled in. We won't offer him anything unless we at least trade Plekanec and Desharnais, which I don't see happening. We have a potential top-5 center in our lineup right now, why lose 2 good draft picks for another?

Devils or Flames might do well from offering something to Kadri.

I'd watch out for the Flames, ownership told Feaster they want the playoffs this year. Calgary isn't really stocked at center, Hudler/Cammy as top-2 centers, but with Kadri, Cammy can go back to wing. Toronto only has about 5m in cap space, and we all know Feaster isn't afraid of giving an offersheet even if it means he loses the player and the picks. Plus Flames have over 7m in cap space.

It's not like Kadri wouldn't match these picks. he's a (very) good player.

Yeah, he probably would be worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, which is what an offer sheet of 5-6.7 million would give. But for a team like Calgary or Florida, they might be looking at a top three pick this year (without him), and he wouldn't make enough of a difference to get them in the playoffs. I'd rather a chance at a franchise player and go through an actual rebuild than get Kadri.

Calgary is an example of a team that should be putting forward offer sheets like crazy. They can't draft, they have zero talent in the pipeline, and they're garbage. It really couldn't hurt to collect, say, three can't miss young-players, and damn the torpedoes.

Yeah, he probably would be worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, which is what an offer sheet of 5-6.7 million would give. But for a team like Calgary or Florida, they might be looking at a top three pick this year (without him), and he wouldn't make enough of a difference to get them in the playoffs. I'd rather a chance at a franchise player and go through an actual rebuild than get Kadri.

The problem is the ownership of the Flames told Feaster they want Calgary in the playoffs this year. If he fails this goal he'll probably be fired. He has already refused to rebuild the last few years when the team is in need of it. He's either going to go crazy and attempt to keep his job or he's willing to lose his job and start the rebuild he should of already started.

If it's the latter then he should keep his picks and go with what he got. If he's fighting for his job, Kadri wouldn't be a bad move. Success now vs success later. Either way picking up Kadri wouldn't be a bad thing for Calgary, as CC put it, they don't have much in the pipeline as it is, years of drafting duds, at least Kadri is good. Where they may draft next year means nothing if they aren't drafting well anyway.

Calgary is an example of a team that should be putting forward offer sheets like crazy. They can't draft, they have zero talent in the pipeline, and they're garbage. It really couldn't hurt to collect, say, three can't miss young-players, and damn the torpedoes.

Yes, but they also have a Reggie Houle clone as GM, so they're all about deconstructing, not team building.

The problem is the ownership of the Flames told Feaster they want Calgary in the playoffs this year. If he fails this goal he'll probably be fired. He has already refused to rebuild the last few years when the team is in need of it. He's either going to go crazy and attempt to keep his job or he's willing to lose his job and start the rebuild he should of already started.

Was that entirely his decision? I've read rumblings that it was ownership who wouldn't allow any sort of tear down prior to the deadline last season. That's not to say Feaster has done a good job - he hasn't - but the owners I think are a bigger problem. Basically, they finally let Feaster take a team with some talent, get rid of most of it, and then tell him to take the new, weaker team and ensure they make the playoffs. That's usually not how things work.

The Panthers or Islanders shoud do it.

I agree on Islanders. I dont think they will be a bottomfeeder anymore. Tavares seems ready to elevate this team and offering a no1 pick to get Kadri would improve them alot.