Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Why would Edmonton want miller unless they were confident they could sign him - he is a UFA. I can't see Miller wanting to go anywhere near Edmonton.

i think that goalie is Miller. Seems to me Edmonton and Buffalo match up good, both are struggling and both have some pretty nice assets.

Why would Edmonton want miller unless they were confident they could sign him - he is a UFA. I can't see Miller wanting to go anywhere near Edmonton.

Can they not ask to talk to him and or agent before they make a deal? Seems to me edmonton might be a good choice if Miller wants a cup before he retires. All those early draft choices have to break out sooner or later.

Send them Fucale.

The sad thing is, he might actually be an upgrade right away. (Why, oh why, did I draft Dubnyk in one of my pools?)

Can they not ask to talk to him and or agent before they make a deal? Seems to me edmonton might be a good choice if Miller wants a cup before he retires. All those early draft choices have to break out sooner or later.

They can if they can agree in principle on a trade. I don't think Edmonton's a contender with Miller between the pipes though, they still need a few defencemen and some veteran forwards up front who are actually useful (they have a few older players but most of them aren't all that good).

Edmonton is a disaster. There is simply no way a team with that many high-end picks should be that bad, still. I'm not a closer observer of the Oilers, but I can only conclude that they have failed catastrophically to surround the young players with the right kind of veteran mentors and leadership, not to mention failing to acquire the right complementary pieces in sheer hockey terms. Inexcusable.

• Upvote 1

They don't need to surround their young players with veterans. They have Kevin Lowe. He's a winner. He knows how to win and what it takes to win the cup.

Edmonton is a disaster. There is simply no way a team with that many high-end picks should be that bad, still. I'm not a closer observer of the Oilers, but I can only conclude that they have failed catastrophically to surround the young players with the right kind of veteran mentors and leadership, not to mention failing to acquire the right complementary pieces in sheer hockey terms. Inexcusable.

They don't need to surround their young players with veterans. They have Kevin Lowe. He's a winner. He knows how to win and what it takes to win the cup.

cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not?

With so many top picks (and looks like another is coming next spring), I keep waiting for them to turn things around, but still floundering with a long way to go to respectability.

Maybe some kind of big trade for more defensive-goaltending help would be a start? But another couple weeks at bottom of league and they might as well concentrate on building towards 14/15 and 15/16 seasons.

Habs29 was being sarcastic.

Remember 'fail for Nail?' Yakupov's problems illustrate that even a top pick is not necessarily the magical balm that 'tankers' sometimes make it out to be. That said, it's certainly premature to dismiss him...

Apart from getting a goalie (even signing a patch-up guy like Theodore would help!), it seems to me that the Oil need to decide which of their high-end youth they want to keep long-term and trade one or two of the other elite young guns in return for 'glue guy' types like Plekanec: seasoned players in their prime who know how to be pros, and who will stabilize their team, especially on the blueline. Now, I've thought for about two years now that Edmonton needs to do something like this; yet it doesn't seem to have occured to management. Hell, the rumours around Yakupov are only surfacing now that he is getting benched, i.e., when his value is lowest. They really seem to have no idea what they are doing.

My roommate is a major Edmonton fan and I've watched a few games with him. They just COMPLETELY lack a defense. Its brutal to watch, people are always open in the slot, their last game against the Islanders all three of the goals against were scored in the middle of the slot from a behind the net pass. That shouldn't happen three times in a game. They have no net presence at all. And they don't have a goalie who is able to bail them out of their poor defense. Duby had some crazy 45 save games last season single handily winning it for them. In my mind Dubynk isn't the problem, he has no confidence because his defense is so bad 80% of the goals are completely beyond his ability to save and because of that he is letting in weak ones since his mind game is now shot.

Mc.T has actually been a big improvement over Tambo, ie actually pursuing trades. Thing is Vancouver and LA didn't want to trade Bernier or Schnider in their division. Also they tried to get D-men. Andrew Ference being the better of the 3 additions, but he couldn't get another NHL D-man so he tried signing KHL guys Grebeshkov and Belov (they haven't been playing that great either - Grebeshkov been "injured"). That means half their d-core is new to Edmonton, 2 new to NHL ice/been a long time, J.Schultz is a sophomore, plus the rest are learning a new system.

Plus they have tried bringing in vets like Ryan Smyth and Boyd Gordon (who has been great). Hell David Perron is a vet by Edmonton standards.

They are trying to improve right now. Honest to god if they get a legit #1 D-man the trickle down effect on the roster would be HUGE once they learn the system.

There are better goalies than Dubnyk but he is not their real problem.

Edmonton is going no where intil they get a goalie. Miller in mind is top 3-4 in the league. Throw in the names Vanek and Myers and what kind of conversation do you have. We all know you can change things around in a hurry.

Correct. My sarcasm is in reference to the blow-up Lowe had toward Edmonton media that were crtlitical if Oilers management during the summer.

Habs29 was being sarcastic.

Remember 'fail for Nail?' Yakupov's problems illustrate that even a top pick is not necessarily the magical balm that 'tankers' sometimes make it out to be. That said, it's certainly premature to dismiss him...

Apart from getting a goalie (even signing a patch-up guy like Theodore would help!), it seems to me that the Oil need to decide which of their high-end youth they want to keep long-term and trade one or two of the other elite young guns in return for 'glue guy' types like Plekanec: seasoned players in their prime who know how to be pros, and who will stabilize their team, especially on the blueline. Now, I've thought for about two years now that Edmonton needs to do something like this; yet it doesn't seem to have occured to management. Hell, the rumours around Yakupov are only surfacing now that he is getting benched, i.e., when his value is lowest. They really seem to have no idea what they are doing.

If there was any chance of vanek and miller resigning I was thinking of the same fit. Vanek, miller, Myers, grigs, for yakupov, a 1st, dybnyk, Hemsky, klefbom.

Edmonton is going no where intil they get a goalie. Miller in mind is top 3-4 in the league. Throw in the names Vanek and Myers and what kind of conversation do you have. We all know you can change things around in a hurry.

If there was any chance of vanek and miller resigning I was thinking of the same fit. Vanek, miller, Myers, grigs, for yakupov, a 1st, dybnyk, Hemsky, klefbom.

That would add about $10 million in payroll to Edmonton. They don't have anywhere near that type of room.

That would add about $10 million in payroll to Edmonton. They don't have anywhere near that type of room.

I stayed away from naming specific pieces on both sides., because of coarse the money has to work. You can always flip a piece or two, to make that work out.

Any team that has Andrew Ferrence as their captain has no hope.

I can't believe they signed him for the $/terms they did. making him captain proves that the need to get rid of the ex-Oilers that have been running the team into the ground.

I can't believe they signed him for the $/terms they did. making him captain proves that the need to get rid of the ex-Oilers that have been running the team into the ground.

Oil maybe need to overpay for free agents?

Ference is a good, experienced, tougher "Gorges-type" isn't he and is what the Habs actually could use.

Why wouldn't he be a good captain?

Maybe in just biased against Mr. Equipment malfunction, but I don't think he is as good as Gorges.

Oil maybe need to overpay for free agents?

Ference is a good, experienced, tougher "Gorges-type" isn't he and is what the Habs actually could use.

Why wouldn't he be a good captain?

Guest Stogey24

Maybe in just biased against Mr. Equipment malfunction, but I don't think he is as good as Gorges.

Exactly. If that's the type of role model you want your young players to look up to. GOOD LUCK.

Would anyone be interested in Tootoo? Quiet rumours that he may be waived. We could always use a little crazy...

Nope. Detroit's a team that doesn't have much toughness; if they're waiving him, something's wrong. Besides, at nearly $2M for a 4th liner for this year and next, he's far too pricey (well, maybe that's the reason they're considering waiving him then).

Guest Stogey24

Lines at pratice

Galchenyuk – Eller – Gallagher

Bournival – Plekanec – Gionta

Bourque – Desharnais – Moen

Blunden- White- Holland