Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Guest Stogey24

Why would the habs want Kane? He is exactly the kind of player MB does not want.

The roster and players now are pretty much what you'll see barring any major injuries.

I do think MB will get a heavy weight, Moen and Prust can't do the heavy lifting on fighting anymore, too injury prone.

I have a hard on for prust, but if he finds himself in injury trouble again this year I would seriously think about moving him. As hard as that is to say.

Yeah, I agree, the Habs still need a goon for games versus Toronto/Ottawa/Boston/Philly. Not that a goon is a deterrent against injuries, but it's not good for morale for a team to be bullied like they were in the last game versus Boston during the regular season.

I can see the logic of waiting, the prices for goons were astronomical. (Engelland, Thornton).

Guest Stogey24

Yeah, I agree, the Habs still need a goon for games versus Toronto/Ottawa/Boston/Philly. Not that a goon is a deterrent against injuries, but it's not good for morale for a team to be bullied like they were in the last game versus Boston during the regular season.

I can see the logic of waiting, the prices for goons were astronomical. (Engelland, Thornton).

The next heavy weight of the NHL is Luke Gazdic. Kind of irrelevant, but he's an absolute beast. If he didn't sign an ext. with Edmonton, he'd be first on my list.

This is the reason to have goons - team morale, especially if you have a hell of a guy like Parros.

It doesn't work if he gets seriously concussed, though.

This is the reason to have goons - team morale, especially if you have a hell of a guy like Parros.

It doesn't work if he gets seriously concussed, though.

I hope this new fa group is better than the last. Each was worse than the last, with Murray coming to camp out of shape and getting hurt, Briere getting moved off the top 6, and Parros falling on his face.

Krys Barch is available. He's a good fighter who isn't a complete liability, either. He would be a good pick up on a cheap one year deal.

We know that Bergie believes in goons, so I'll be really surprised if we don't have one by the time the season starts. I just hope he finds a bona-fide heavyweight who isn't older and washed up. By their early 30s those guys seem to be pretty much has-beens.

So who sits to play the goon? Bournival?

I'm not sure Bournival's in the opening night lineup as things stand. If it's a game where a lot of extra grit is needed, a 4th line of Goon-Prust-Weise would seem likely.

I imagine they will sign some goon, but Weise, Prust, Moan & Tinordi should be enough.

And if gonna only play 3-4minutes, Got one Conner Crisp who can play a couple shifts as well as a Parros/Shelley couldn't he and be a lot cheaper?

Or would he just be too young to tackle a Lucic-type?

I imagine they will sign some goon, but Weise, Prust, Moan & Tinordi should be enough.

And if gonna only play 3-4minutes, Got one Conner Crisp who can play a couple shifts as well as a Parros/Shelley couldn't he and be a lot cheaper?

Or would he just be too young to tackle a Lucic-type?

Bingo. Do you really want a 20 year old taking on the heavyweights when he's yet to even fight in the minors? That's putting a kid in a tough spot. There are some 5-minute enforcers out there (Barch, Konopka, Westgarth, Kassian, Bissonnette plus a few AHL guys), take whatever one will play for the league minimum and go from there if it's deemed that one is needed.

Bingo. Do you really want a 20 year old taking on the heavyweights when he's yet to even fight in the minors? That's putting a kid in a tough spot. There are some 5-minute enforcers out there (Barch, Konopka, Westgarth, Kassian, Bissonnette plus a few AHL guys), take whatever one will play for the league minimum and go from there if it's deemed that one is needed.

Completely agree. We know the league is changing, and the pugilist is becoming less in vogue. I believe in MB exit interview he was uncertain about the notion or need of heavy weight. I would be inclined to safeguard this roster with a heavy weight enforcer until such time the league dictates you don't need one. That time has not come.

Guest Stogey24

I'd sign BizNasty just for the entertainment.

He fought 3 times last year. I wouldn't consider him a heavy weight.

If we need a goon, I'd like for us to sign Konopka because he has good faceoff skills and can skate a little

Nevins had couple fights in 3 games in Hamilton, I do not expect much from him (more from Crisp), but Timmins went to PEI to check him out and Habs wernt the only NHL team looking at Nevins.

And he did have an OK playoffs as well, but bouncing around the CHL as he did just dosent fill me with any confidence he will make it.

Crisp and Nevins did play couple good games on same line, as bit of the 'bash brothers' and maybe both will have solid 'gritty' seasons in Hamilton this coming year?

Nevins had couple fights in 3 games in Hamilton, I do not expect much from him (more from Crisp), but Timmins went to PEI to check him out and Habs wernt the only NHL team looking at Nevins.

And he did have an OK playoffs as well, but bouncing around the CHL as he did just dosent fill me with any confidence he will make it.

Crisp and Nevins did play couple good games on same line, as bit of the 'bash brothers' and maybe both will have solid 'gritty' seasons in Hamilton this coming year?

I like Nevin's style. In the age of Ivy League Enforcers, Nevins goes out there to hurt people. Parros's motto was "if you go out there and get into a fight, no matter what, you did your job." Now what the hell kind of mentality is that?

Things in life that aren't about winning and losing:

Relationships

Puppies

Message boards

Fighting is about winning. How much of an impact does a Gregory Campbell fight have on a game? Did it matter that Tom Kostopolous got dummied every fifth game?

That's the reason the enforcer has turned into a dancing clown. Enforcing is about fear. A player like Colton Orr has an impact because of intimidation. If there's a maniac out there and the other team has non idea what he's going to do, that's an impact player.

We intimidate by speed and offense. To keep that intact, we can not be intimidated by someone else. I have no problem with just answering the bell when needed. I do take offense when we can't respond to bullying with a comparable combatant

Guest Stogey24

I like Nevin's style. In the age of Ivy League Enforcers, Nevins goes out there to hurt people. Parros's motto was "if you go out there and get into a fight, no matter what, you did your job." Now what the hell kind of mentality is that?

Things in life that aren't about winning and losing:

Relationships

Puppies

Message boards

Fighting is about winning. How much of an impact does a Gregory Campbell fight have on a game? Did it matter that Tom Kostopolous got dummied every fifth game?

That's the reason the enforcer has turned into a dancing clown. Enforcing is about fear. A player like Colton Orr has an impact because of intimidation. If there's a maniac out there and the other team has non idea what he's going to do, that's an impact player.

I don't understand your post. You basically contradicted your self in every statement?

Look, goons on today's Habs serve one main purpose, and that is to make our smaller players feel like they have protection out there when they're playing goon squads like Ottawa and Toronto. (I leave out Body Odour, because Boston does not actually rely on goons, but rather behemoths who can actually play hockey; and also we have a track record of not being intimidated by them). That only works if your goon is a serious heavyweight who can go toe-to-toe with anyone. Prust, Moen (who can no longer fight), Tom the Bomb, Ryan White, etc., are gamers, but they do not neutralize the intimidation factor. That, as I understand it, is the argument for a goon on les canadiens.

Sorry to say, it comes down to $$.

Owners like goons because fans like gladiators and have for thousands of years.

It helps sell the game, in wrong way and unlike any other sport in the world, even though teams that don't bother with them do well, like Kings, Pens, Hawks. And teams with the Shelley, Orr, Parros's of the league simply waste a roster spot, that could be filled by a young prospect who actually can play the game.

Why cant Moan still fight? Cause he got one concussion? Didn't Thorton who has been KOed/concussed several times, just sign a nice contract?