Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

The price for Yandle right now is a rumoured Yandle for Ryan O'Reilly deal. We can't match that really. It's a perfect swap for both teams.

Vermette is a better fit for other teams. Michalek probably the same.

Shane Doan is who interests me. He won't go until he wants to.

There are three names of note that will likely get moved at some point and I could see the Habs inquiring about all of them:

Vermette (pending UFA, top-6 forward, Habs have been rumoured to be interested already)

Yandle (one more year at $5.25 M after this but would give them another top pairing blueliner - may not go before March 2nd though)

Michalek (pending UFA, strong stay-at-home d-man)

Interestingly enough, the Habs had two people scouting at Arizona's game yesterday.

I like both of the first two, but you will not get either one, offering up chopped liver. Secondly, at the price it would cost, you would probably trying to find away to re-up them.

Meanwhile, in Van, the word is growing louder and louder that Kassian is on the block. I don't know who we'd send the other way for this "project" player, though. On the off-chance that we were to acquire him, I think it should be on the understanding that he is actually more of a finesse player than a power forward. The kid seems to have no interest in playing a "power" game, but he does have decent skills and could conceivably still find his way into a top-6 role.

Meanwhile, in Van, the word is growing louder and louder that Kassian is on the block. I don't know who we'd send the other way for this "project" player, though. On the off-chance that we were to acquire him, I think it should be on the understanding that he is actually more of a finesse player than a power forward. The kid seems to have no interest in playing a "power" game, but he does have decent skills and could conceivably still find his way into a top-6 role.

I was looking at that this morning, wondering what would we give up to get him? He actually grew up idolising Bertuzzi and Lucic. Don't know what happened that he doesn't play the power forward game that he did in the minors and that he is built for. Mind you we know he is not too bright cause he was a leafs fan. But maybe that means he can take a lot of punishment. In the right situation, he could be a great asset, is that Montreal? I don't know, Le genius is such a youth oriented coach maybe it would work :P . It would be fun to see Patches Galchenyuk and kassian to see what would happen all big all skilled could be fun. What to give up? I have no idea. Maybe Eller? Hate to give up on larry but he does not appear to be going anywhere as an offensive force. :habslogo:

I was looking at that this morning, wondering what would we give up to get him? He actually grew up idolising Bertuzzi and Lucic. Don't know what happened that he doesn't play the power forward game that he did in the minors and that he is built for. Mind you we know he is not too bright cause he was a leafs fan. But maybe that means he can take a lot of punishment. In the right situation, he could be a great asset, is that Montreal? I don't know, Le genius is such a youth oriented coach maybe it would work :P . It would be fun to see Patches Galchenyuk and kassian to see what would happen all big all skilled could be fun. What to give up? I have no idea. Maybe Eller? Hate to give up on larry but he does not appear to be going anywhere as an offensive force. :habslogo:

If Van were to bite at Desharnais...which given their lack of scoring is not entirely beyond the realm of possibility...I'd take the chance. The cap numbers might not work for Van, though.

If Van were to bite at Desharnais...which given their lack of scoring is not entirely beyond the realm of possibility...I'd take the chance. The cap numbers might not work for Van, though.

If we had to eat a little bit of salary I could see doing it. He is a young guy with lots of upside.

Guest Stogey24

We've had this discussion a few times. The trade history between Montreal and Van is enough to think acquiring Kassian isn't out of the question.

We've had this discussion a few times. The trade history between Montreal and Van is enough to think acquiring Kassian isn't out of the question.

Yeah wiesse worked out ok. What defensive bum did we trade him for again?

The cap numbers might not work for Van, though.

They'd still be under the cap if they did this. However, that would put them near $57 M committed for next year with just 14 players under contract. If they're going to put themselves in a dicey cap situation, they may be better suited looking for a 'futures' return (pick/prospect) and trying to flip another player for offensive help.

That article was hilarious.

"Raphael Diaz may go down as the most unfairly maligned defenseman in Montreal this decade, because fans and media have no idea how to quantify defensive contribution."

- actual quote

How do you go about "quantifying defensive contribution?" That doesn't even make sense.

Over the top. Diaz was a healthy scratch for almost ten gamed and hadn't scored a goal for almost two years when he was traded.

Guest Stogey24

That article was hilarious.

"Raphael Diaz may go down as the most unfairly maligned defenseman in Montreal this decade, because fans and media have no idea how to quantify defensive contribution."

- actual quote

Also the softest player in this decade. Couldn't have been happier when he was traded

I didn't like the trade myself - and boy, was I wrong, not because I thought Diaz was a sure-fire top-4 defender but because I totally under-estimated Weisse. Torterella treated him as a scrub, and my mistake was in deferring to that boob's opinion. By contrast, MB identified a guy who was being irrationally under-utilized by his existing team and made a nice move to acquire him, in a small but classic piece of sharp general-managing. Guess that's why he makes the big bucks and I don't!

Over the top. Diaz was a healthy scratch for almost ten gamed and hadn't scored a goal for almost two years when he was traded.

Now just to be fair, he has scored 1 goal per year, except for this year, since he was traded. And boy wouldn't that 1 assist that he has look good in our stats this year? We certainly don't know how to quantify offensive defencemen cause those 5 points he has managed to rack up, with 3 different teams over 3 years is simply amazing. And yet he still gets a paycheck now that is amazing. :rofl:

With it being reported that Ryan O'Reilly is likely to get dealt at some point by Colorado, this tidbit came out yesterday:

It should be noted that Brisebois was working for the Habs at this time (when O'Reilly was in his contract squabble).

Guest Stogey24

With it being reported that Ryan O'Reilly is likely to get dealt at some point by Colorado, this tidbit came out yesterday:

Patrice Brisebois just said on television that Marc Bergevin tried to land Ryan O'Reilly two years ago when he was on holdout. Marc Antoine Godin (@MAGodin) January 20, 2015

It should be noted that Brisebois was working for the Habs at this time (when O'Reilly was in his contract squabble).

Yeah, probably would have been Subban in the mix for O'Reilly. Thank God that didn't happen