Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

The Habs are one of nine teams who will meet with free agent defence prospect Mike Reilly this week. He's a player using the Justin Schultz 'loophole' to get to free agency as of June 16th.

Guest Stogey24

I wonder if the trading of Sekac hurts Montreal's chances in the future of signing young prospects

Probably. Both the trade and the opportunity to play.

I wonder if the trading of Sekac hurts Montreal's chances in the future of signing young prospects

It shouldn't. Most European signings don't pan out but it doesn't seem to punish those teams who let the players go so why would it here? Prospects want some sort of combination of money, playing time, and team success. If the Habs offer that right combination, they'll get considered just like any other team that is the right fit.

There are many more prospect free agent signings out there yearly than most realize. 90-95% of them never see the NHL, including many international signings. That hasn't stopped any other team thus far from getting other free agent prospects so logically, it should have no effect on Montreal whatsoever.

For the record, I think the Habs have next to no shot at Reilly. All signs point to him being the #4 or 5 d-man on Chicago next year. Montreal can't offer anything close to that in terms of near-guaranteed playing time.

It shouldn't. Most European signings don't pan out but it doesn't seem to punish those teams who let the players go so why would it here? Prospects want some sort of combination of money, playing time, and team success. If the Habs offer that right combination, they'll get considered just like any other team that is the right fit.

There are many more prospect free agent signings out there yearly than most realize. 90-95% of them never see the NHL, including many international signings. That hasn't stopped any other team thus far from getting other free agent prospects so logically, it should have no effect on Montreal whatsoever.

For the record, I think the Habs have next to no shot at Reilly. All signs point to him being the #4 or 5 d-man on Chicago next year. Montreal can't offer anything close to that in terms of near-guaranteed playing time.

Is he that good?

His dad is part owner of the Minnesota wild. Not difficult to see this is just a show.

Sekac won't hurt the Habs at all. It's just business. What hurt the Habs was the days of indecision and being a team in constant transition during the Gainey years. That was why free agents never wanted to come. Philly treats players like crap and players always go there.

Is he that good?

He's probably good enough to step into a bottom pairing role. He's had two great years at the college level and didn't look out of place in a 6/7 role for Team USA at the Worlds last month.

Guest Stogey24

Rumour floating around that Malkin isn't happy in Pitt. The cost would be insanely high, but I guess back in the day Malkin said if he wasn't playing for the Pens, he'd want to be in Montreal ;)

Guest Stogey24

Ouch. Cost would be massive. Subban? Patches?

Obviously just stirring shit up, but I have no clue what it would take to get him. Pac, Plek, 2 firsts?

Obviously just stirring shit up, but I have no clue what it would take to get him. Pac, Plek, 2 firsts?

Too much?

We've heard this before coming out of Pittsburgh, I very much doubt its gonna happen. But if it did look for a deal involving one or both of Gallagher or Galchenyuk.

I'm just not sure it would be worth it.

We've heard this before coming out of Pittsburgh, I very much doubt its gonna happen. But if it did look for a deal involving one or both of Gallagher or Galchenyuk.

I'm just not sure it would be worth it.

I think Galchenyuk, a roster player and some high draft picks is a fair deal for both sides. Can you imagine Malkin wearing the CH? What a force this team would be.

Rumour floating around that Malkin isn't happy in Pitt. The cost would be insanely high, but I guess back in the day Malkin said if he wasn't playing for the Pens, he'd want to be in Montreal ;)

The only way he ever gets traded is if he tells the Pens he's done, and won't play another game for them. I feel like in the few circumstances where this does happen word always seems to get out around the league and the team with the disgruntled player rarely gets full value. Also, a move like that would have to raise some concerns over the players character. Obviously Malkin is supremely skilled but I'm sure he does come with a few flaws. I think any idea of trading Subban or Patches is off the table as we would simply be filling one hole by creating another. Malkin is just about 29. I know Galchenyuk's stock has taken a hit this past season but I wouldn't be in a rush to trade him just yet. I think Stall or Thornton could be had at a reasonable cost as their stock is not at their peak. With Thornton who is already 35, he would be a much shorter term solution, more of a playmaker than a goal scorer.

Soderberg will not be signed by Bawston. Big centre, should MB be looking at him?

Yes is an interesting player out there.

If we didn't have Eller clogging up $3.5M I'd take Soderberg. That said, he'll probably get a deal like Benoit Pouliot got.

I like Soderburg a lot more than Eller at this point so maybe we should dump Eller for picks or to move up in the draft?

I like Soderburg a lot more than Eller at this point so maybe we should dump Eller for picks or to move up in the draft?

That's all well and good if you knew for certain that you were signing Soderberg but the draft is before free agency.

That's all well and good if you knew for certain that you were signing Soderberg but the draft is before free agency.

Damn you had to point that out. There's always a fly in the ointment. :)

Guest Stogey24

Soderberg will not be signed by Bawston. Big centre, should MB be looking at him?

I'd definitely be taking a look at him. He could probably slot in the 2 spot... Some pieces obviously need to be moved though

Perhaps foolishly, I take the view that you go out and get the player you want first, provided he doesn't create absolutely ridiculous cap problems, and sort out the rest later. If Soderberg is an upgrade or even a cheaper lateral move who makes it possible to move DD, Pleks, or Eller - and I'm not saying he does - then you go out and get him and move one of those guys later. Going temporarily over the cap in the summer is no big deal.

I don't see which need sodenberg fills??? We need a true number one centre and a scoring winger. Sodenberg is a downgrade on pleks and may be an upgrade on Eller. He will probably get $4m+ as a UFA. We than have 4 centres that are 2nd/3rd line centres.