Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Guest Stogey24

I can't really see 4+ million. 3.5-4 could probably get him.

I want a big top centre too, but I don't think its going to happen. Soderberg can put up 50pts and he adds size to the centre of the ice. Wouldn't mind seeing Desharnais go, if Soderberg can come in at close to the same price

I think a skilled scoring winger would do the trick also and may be cheaper to realistically acquire.

I agree Don, the price of a Kesler or something of the like, to compete with the Toews and Crosbys in a playoff situation, that "big" center, is just too high...

If Soderberg has value for us, it's not as a Blockbuster Acquisition. Rather, his value would reside in the opportunities it opens up for our FW configuration.

E.g., he could be a modest but perhaps salient upgrade on Desharnais. He is less of an offensive catalyst than DD, but then again DD is ineffective in the playoffs and also a less complete player than Soderberg. We could then shift Desharnais to the wing if we wanted (assuming cap room; otherwise you move DD out).

Conversely, he could allow us to ship out Plekanec without suffering too massive a drop-off in terms of two-way C, Soderberg representing a sort of middle ground between Pleks's excellence and Eller's mediocrity. The point of this would be to leverage Pleks in a deal to get back a scoring winger.

I'm not trying to campaign for a Soderberg signing. But I don't think it would be foolishness either.

Plekanec had 26 goals and 60 points with scoring down league wide.

Soderberg, Eller and Desharnais combined was 119 points, which is only double of Plekanec. None of them are going to score 20 goals on their own.

I think we're having "I just want to see something new" syndrome.

I agree with those saying that the center we need is not available this year through free agency. I'd rather see MB dump a few bad salaries and roll the dice signing Radulov (RW, offensive weapon...and don't have to lose talent to get him) than get a stop-gap center out of desperatoin.

People seem to undervalue him. Imagine he played with a serious goal-scorer regularilly...his stats would be much harder to overlook. Still pisses me off that we didn't land Jagr 2 seasons ago...he and Plex would have put up some good numbers.

id throw 7.5 million at radulov and dump the nesscessary salary to get under the cap

I agree with those saying that the center we need is not available this year through free agency. I'd rather see MB dump a few bad salaries and roll the dice signing Radulov (RW, offensive weapon...and don't have to lose talent to get him) than get a stop-gap center out of desperatoin.

People seem to undervalue him. Imagine he played with a serious goal-scorer regularilly...his stats would be much harder to overlook. Still pisses me off that we didn't land Jagr 2 seasons ago...he and Plex would have put up some good numbers.

Guest Stogey24

Soderberg, Eller and Desharnais combined was 119 points, which is only double of Plekanec. None of them are going to score 20 goals on their own.

Soderberg put up 48pts in 2013-2014 and 44 in 2014-2015 on a legit 3rd line in Boston. He's 6'3 and has speed, how is that just wanting something new. He's an upgrade on all of the centres(not so much faceoff%) on this team besides Plekanec.

Soderberg put up 48pts in 2013-2014 and 44 in 2014-2015 on a legit 3rd line in Boston. He's 6'3 and has speed, how is that just wanting something new. He's an upgrade on all of the centres on this team besides Plekanec.

Yeah. On reflection, I think I was off-base to suggest above that acquiring Soderberg would make it possible to move Pleks. Even if we accept that Plekanec's output last year was on the high side and that Soderberg has potential to put up more points than he hitherto has, the fact remains that DD-Soderberg is just not acceptable as a 1-2 punch down the middle.

That means the case for acquiring Soderberg has to rest on his being an upgrade on Desharnais. Which he probably is, especially when you consider DD's inability to produce in the playoffs.

Guest Stogey24

Yeah. On reflection, I think I was off-base to suggest above that acquiring Soderberg would make it possible to move Pleks. Even if we accept that Plekanec's output last year was on the high side and that Soderberg has potential to put up more points than he hitherto has, the fact remains that DD-Soderberg is just not acceptable as a 1-2 punch down the middle.

That means the case for acquiring Soderberg has to rest on his being an upgrade on Desharnais. Which he probably is, especially when you consider DD's inability to produce in the playoffs.

Obviously all speculation, but I get the feeling Desharnais is going to be moved. I'd be very interested to see what he'd fetch in a trade.

Sodenberg is probably going to want Pleks money, for less production for another 4 years minimum. He will probably get $4.5M+ on the market, which means an extra $500k for quebec penalty. IMO not worth the money. Keep in mind who he is playing behind in Boston - isn't he the #3 centre there, not #2??

Sodenberg is probably going to want Pleks money, for less production for another 4 years minimum. He will probably get $4.5M+ on the market, which means an extra $500k for quebec penalty. IMO not worth the money. Keep in mind who he is playing behind in Boston - isn't he the #3 centre there, not #2??

#3 center on a team that once had major depth to play him like a top six on the third line. Played a lot of top six last season due to Bruins injuries.

He's in the "Benoit Pouliot" role this offseason. The guy that a team will gamble on in hopes he's more than just a third line guy.

Meh, Habs29 is probably right. We'd be paying perhaps $1 million more for a guy who has actually produced less offence than Desharnais. There's gotta be a more straightforward way to upgrade on DD than that.

I agree Don, the price of a Kesler or something of the like, to compete with the Toews and Crosbys in a playoff situation, that "big" center, is just too high...

It would cost us N8, Gallagher and a first. But wouldn't that be more palatable than drooling over Carl Soderberg?

I'll admit that.

Obviously all speculation, but I get the feeling Desharnais is going to be moved. I'd be very interested to see what he'd fetch in a trade.

He's worth a second round pick and a B prospect, imo.

Soderberg was a winger on Boston, btw. He played on Chris Kelly's line. For most of the time.

So...... I wonder if there's any whispering on the contract status for Galchenyuk, Tinordi and Beaulieu.

Galchenyuk is a priority as determining bridge/long-term will shape a lot of their offseason plans. There's no rush for the other two to get done. But, since they've opened talks with Bournival's agent, presumably some sort of contact has been made for Tinordi/Beaulieu's deals as well.

On that Galchenyuk point, the closer it gets to July 1, the more likely it seems he'd get a bridge deal.

..not to mention that we don't have any money left, I'd say a bridge deal is a given

If they can agree to terms on a long-term pact, I think they'd do it and then clear out a player or two to cover the difference in salary. I'm thinking it's a bridge deal though as well.