Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

What the hell was Bergevin thinking?

We traded a guy who makes 2.5 million... took bad penalties, and was not fast enough to be effective on the team anymore

for

a lottery ticket

and a draft pick.

If Kassian ends up suspended again, he's off the cap.

So even the worst case scenario is we got valuable cap space and a draft pick for a player who was a liablity due to speed and bad penalties.

Best case we got a RW who could play.

===============================================

All that said, "we have information we can't divulge"

Could be one of two things..

It could be falling off the wagon.

Or

It could be a trade that can't be announced til tomorrow.

We traded a guy who makes 2.5 million... took bad penalties, and was not fast enough to be effective on the team anymore

for

a lottery ticket

and a draft pick.

So even the worst case scenario is we got valuable cap space and a draft pick for a player who was a liablity due to speed and bad penalties.

Or

For a piece of garbage.

We took a player off the roster at 2.5 for an embarrassment that saves us 750k.

The Bergevin magic on these minor deals has run out.

WOOOT

For a piece of garbage.

We took a player off the roster at 2.5 for an embarrassment that saves us 750k.

The Bergevin magic on these minor deals has run out.

WOOOT

It has saved us far more than 750K.

everytime he is suspended he doesn't count against the cap.

When he's played in the past, he's been a far better player than Prust.

Prust wouldn't even be playing ahead of Flynn, Mitchell, DSP, Byron, etc....

All evidence is that this trade hasn't hurt the team at all... in fact its given them additional cap space to make a move and added a draft pick. Even with hindsight this was a good move.

All evidence is that this trade hasn't hurt the team at all... in fact its given them additional cap space to make a move and added a draft pick. Even with hindsight this was a good move.

Yeah, it's awesome to trade for a player that's in the substance abuse program, have him relapse and get in a car accident before the season even starts. Just like he drew it up.

Just as good as the Semin signing, eh?

Yeah, it's awesome to trade for a player that's in the substance abuse program, have him relapse and get in a car accident before the season even starts. Just like he drew it up.

Just as good as the Semin signing, eh?

I'm not saying thats how he drew it up... how is this hard to understand.

Scenario A (ie the best case): Kassian doesn't relapse. In this case we have a far better player than prust and gain small cap space and a pick.

Scenario B (ie the worst case): Kassian relapses. We get big cap space and a pick.

No one expected him to relapse but there was a contingency there that even if he did, we still wouldn't be hurt by the deal. Scenario A, getting a 15-20 goal guy is ideal, but scenario B doesn't hurt us.

Scenario A (ie the best case): Kassian doesn't relapse. In this case we have a far better player than prust and gain small cap space and a pick.

Scenario B (ie the worst case): Kassian relapses. We get big cap space and a pick.

No one expected him to relapse but there was a contingency there that even if he did, we still wouldn't be hurt by the deal. Scenario A, getting a 15-20 goal guy is ideal, but scenario B doesn't hurt us.

We traded a depth and energy player who could be a problem on the ice, for a non contributing DRUGGIE/DRUNK who never played a single game, and you think it's a good deal because they have a pick with a 5-10% chance of playing in the NHL and a few bucks in cap space?

Give me a break. Even having Prust as a depth player or a 13th forward would be better than trading for the biggest loser in the national hockey league. You can't count the additional cap space gained by having Kassian suspended. There's no way that was a consideration as a positive when making the trade. If it was just cap space, MB could have unloaded Prust for a fourth or prospect.

There's no lipstick to put on this pig, it's by far the worst trade Bergevin has done.

PRUST was NOT THE 13th forward....

Flynn is better

DSP is better

Mitchell is better

Byron who we got on waivers for nothing is better.

Carr is a better player

Andrighetto is a better player

Hudon is a better player.

He was a liability.... no speed... often injured... and when he wasn't injured he couldn't keep his cool and took bad penalties. The fact we were able to get rid of him is addition by subtraction.

"You can't count the additional cap space gained by having Kassian suspended. There's no way that was a consideration as a positive when making the trade."

It was a consideration, cause we already knew Kassian was in the substance abuse policy. Its a fall back position... worst case scenario he's suspended and doesn't count against the cap. If you think management traded for a guy that they knew had already been through stage 1 of the program and didnt' consider what would happen if Kassian fell off the wagon and was put in stage 2, then you must think that NHL management is a bunch of idiots who make decisions without thinking through both the positive side and potential negatives of a deal. Im pretty confident that isn't the case.

Prust isn't as useless as you make him seem. Foot speed and discipline have been problems, sure, but he has seven points in twenty-five games. He can still kill penalties, and at least half of the team's toughness went out the door when they traded for Kasshole.

In fact, Prust has more points this year than both Semin or Kassian. Bergevin has some questions to answer.

Why did he acquire two of the five biggest losers in the league?

Honestly, I can't think of a single instance this season in which I've missed Prust. He will be lucky to get a contract next season. Complaining about his departure thus strikes me as silly.

We got a 5th round pick back for him. Fine by me.

Kassian and Semin are irrelevant. Cost-free gambles that didn't pan out. Big whoop.

When speed and discipline are issues... 7 points doesn't mean much.

Bad penalties and defensive liability 5 v 5... thats gonna cancel out those points pretty quick.

And guys like Carr and Andrighetto who are playing instead of him make up for the point production without the penalties and speed liability.

I'd rather have the rookies.

We'll have to agree to disagree, then. I wasn't against trading Prust, I speculated, in fact, that he would be dealt after his TB tantrum, but I'll never see an upside to trading for a player that doesn't play a single game because he has drug and alcohol problems.

We'll have to agree to disagree, then. I wasn't against trading Prust, I speculated, in fact, that he would be dealt after his TB tantrum, but I'll never see an upside to trading for a player that doesn't play a single game because he has drug and alcohol problems.

The team didn't see him in the big picture anymore, so you have to look at this as a we trade a player we don't want away for a gamble, if Kassian comes in clean and re-energized and pops home 17 - 18 goals this season the trade is a massive success. if he fails, we still traded away something that was deemed an issue, gain the cap space from his suspension and we wash our hands of it as a gamble that didn't hurt the make up of the team that much.

its not like Prust was delivering in the area most needed, offense, when he was in the line up, Kassian MIGHT have, at this point I understand the logic behind the gamble, and it could have been awesome, but so far it has failed, as was the Semin gamble, neither is hampering the team as a whole anyway so they were gamble's you could afford to make, and gamble's that don't cost much in the grand scheme of things are gambles worth making.

its not like Bergevin gambled the Mortgage on these deals, he gambled a Lawn Mower and a Coffee Table here.

You don't see the upside in a guy who could score 15-20 on your team if he's got his issues solved, and doesn't count against your cap if his issue isn't solved?

Thats the thing... its a no risk gamble.

If the gamble worked, we had a serviceable rw

and

If the gamble didn't we still traded prust for a 5th,, which is a fair deal to clear 2.5 million in cap space and get rid of a guy who doesn't fit in your lineup.

The moment we got the two players from Buffalo, Prust and Malholtra's days were numbered.

for

a lottery ticket

and a draft pick.

Or

:thumbs_up:

PRUST was NOT THE 13th forward....

Flynn is better

DSP is better

Mitchell is better

Byron who we got on waivers for nothing is better.

Carr is a better player

Andrighetto is a better player

Hudon is a better player.

He was a liability.... no speed... often injured... and when he wasn't injured he couldn't keep his cool and took bad penalties. The fact we were able to get rid of him is addition by subtraction.

"You can't count the additional cap space gained by having Kassian suspended. There's no way that was a consideration as a positive when making the trade."

It was a consideration, cause we already knew Kassian was in the substance abuse policy. Its a fall back position... worst case scenario he's suspended and doesn't count against the cap. If you think management traded for a guy that they knew had already been through stage 1 of the program and didnt' consider what would happen if Kassian fell off the wagon and was put in stage 2, then you must think that NHL management is a bunch of idiots who make decisions without thinking through both the positive side and potential negatives of a deal. Im pretty confident that isn't the case.

Honestly, I can't think of a single instance this season in which I've missed Prust. He will be lucky to get a contract next season. Complaining about his departure thus strikes me as silly.

We got a 5th round pick back for him. Fine by me.

Kassian and Semin are irrelevant. Cost-free gambles that didn't pan out. Big whoop.

I really wanted to Semin to work, but no big deal. Kassian I always figured was still falling down the rabbit hole.

So you would have banished Craig McTavish to Siberia? Just wondering.

"(Canadiens general manager) Marc Bergevin has seemed confident that he could make a trade here and there's a number of teams (that) are doing background on Kassian to see if (he's) somebody they're interested in acquiring," Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reported during Saturday's edition of "Headlines."

Do something, just do something.

Kassian is not going to net you a return that will help us escape this slump. Surely not. Much more likely is that one Brendan Gallagher comes back and, lo and behold! we start winning games again.

Further to that, San Jose was identified as one of the teams that could have interest.

Who might SJ be willing to give up? And would actually help us?