Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

There's some rumours out there saying Kassin could be headed to Edmonton for Scrivens. Scrivens was not dressed for the Bakersfield AHL game tonight. This one makes a bit of sense though Scrivens would be a highly paid back up once Pricer returned

I'd rather Kassian get a chance than us going after a leaf reject.

There's some rumours out there saying Kassin could be headed to Edmonton for Scrivens. Scrivens was not dressed for the Bakersfield AHL game tonight. This one makes a bit of sense though Scrivens would be a highly paid back up once Pricer returned

Can Scrivens hit, play D, and score goals?

Didn't think so.

Kassian must be a real POS for this particular team, in a slide like this, and without an NHL quality RW right now, to NOT get a chance.

Bergevin is pissing me off with this 3 year RW-less club plan...

C'mon back Gallagher, and show this team how to play hockey...

Kassian just passed through waivers, so likely all 30 GMs have a similar opinion of his usefulness.

Call it Prust for a 5th rounder, move on and look for a bit better quality RW upgrade.

Get a draft pick... even a late one, and use the cap space and extra pick in a subsequent deal.

It probably won't be for a pick - why would a team trade a late pick for someone they could have claimed off waivers for free? (Unless the waiver exemption with him clearing means that much to a team...or the Habs are eating salary.)

For me, the more likely scenario is that the Habs are taking another problem player back (Raffi Torres, anyone?), taking a more costly player back (Torres fits here too, so would Scrivens, Khudobin, etc), or eating a small amount of salary back to get a cheap enough player to bury in the minors without any further cap penalty (thus saving a pro-rated $800k less whatever amount they eat).

I like Stewart, but he would be another gamble in a way. He hasn't been able to find that scoring touch that seen him score 30 goals a few years back. For 1.7 mil he is having a decent season though.

I wondered why the Canadiens didn't seem to have any interest in him last trade deadline. The Habs weren't mentioned once as possible pursuers for his rental services. The Habs also didn't seem to show much interest in him after July 1st. He has power forward ability and seems to check off enough boxes as to what the Canadiens need on the RW.

I'd do the deal for Khudobin, but not Scrivens. Scrivens is a loser.

It looks like Scrivens will be dealt tomorrow (scratched yesterday and another goalie has been summoned from Finland to take his place on the roster) so it may very well be him coming Montreal's way. If so, Condon or Andrighetto will have to be sent down for a day while Tokarski sits on waivers.

It's going to be interesting to see what MB prioritizes in the immediate term. Trading Kass for a Scrivens seems dubious to me; is Scrivens really an upgrade on Condon? He's just another so-so backup, basically. Conversely, trading Kass for a Raffi Torres or a Chris Stewart suggests that, like most people on this board, MB thinks the team needs help up front, preferably in the form of a guy with some physical upside.

I'd much prefer to keep Kassian, honestly. As little faith as I have in him, IF he is on the wagon, he's got top-6 potential at RW. It's a long-shot, but a long-shot worth taking given our lack of options at that position IMHO. None of the rumoured options fit that profile at all (Christ Stewart has pretty decisively failed to solidify himself as a top-6 option).

It's going to be interesting to see what MB prioritizes in the immediate term. Trading Kass for a Scrivens seems dubious to me; is Scrivens really an upgrade on Condon? He's just another so-so backup, basically.

To me, the question isn't really if he's an upgrade on Condon but how much of one is he over Tokarski? Condon can't keep playing 8 or 9 games out of 10. Is Scrivens good enough to platoon with Condon which should make Condon better simply from having more rest? I think he would be and we've seen that Condon is a lot stronger when he has a few days off between starts. My biggest concern here is Scrivens' contract, a $2.3 M cap hit. Hopefully Edmonton's eating a bit if this is going to happen.

To me, the question isn't really if he's an upgrade on Condon but how much of one is he over Tokarski? Condon can't keep playing 8 or 9 games out of 10. Is Scrivens good enough to platoon with Condon which should make Condon better simply from having more rest? I think he would be and we've seen that Condon is a lot stronger when he has a few days off between starts. My biggest concern here is Scrivens' contract, a $2.3 M cap hit. Hopefully Edmonton's eating a bit if this is going to happen.

Scrivens has an .890 sv percentage in the ahl, how is that an improvement over Toker? Scrivens did have some good numbers a couple of years ago but not lately.

Good point. Thanks for that.

I'd do the deal for Khudobin, but not Scrivens. Scrivens is a loser.

I'd say they both stink.

It probably won't be for a pick - why would a team trade a late pick for someone they could have claimed off waivers for free? (Unless the waiver exemption with him clearing means that much to a team...or the Habs are eating salary.)

For me, the more likely scenario is that the Habs are taking another problem player back (Raffi Torres, anyone?), taking a more costly player back (Torres fits here too, so would Scrivens, Khudobin, etc), or eating a small amount of salary back to get a cheap enough player to bury in the minors without any further cap penalty (thus saving a pro-rated $800k less whatever amount they eat).

By late, I'm talking 6th or 7th round. Some team might think Kassian is worth that gamble, now that he's cleared waivers and can be sent to their AHL team first.

If they trade for Scrivens at 2.3 mill, then panic has set in. I'm not opposed to getting a goalie, just not him.

I would consider moving some players as well. I'm tired of watching dd, pleks, Eller in the top 6.

Scrivens has an .890 sv percentage in the ahl, how is that an improvement over Toker? Scrivens did have some good numbers a couple of years ago but not lately.

He had a rough start after sitting for several weeks due to Visa issues, it took a while to get the rust out. He has been much better in his last five starts, .942 SV% and a 2.00 GAA. Because Edmonton has a youngster in the minors, Scrivens is only getting #2 minutes, not entirely unlike Fucale and Tokarski earlier this year.

As for lousy numbers the past couple of years, playing in Edmonton has a tendency to do that to goalies. I don't expect he'd come in and play at an elite level but he should at least be competent most nights. After getting yanked the last two games, I suspect there aren't many in the organization that think Tokarski can do that right now.

By late, I'm talking 6th or 7th round. Some team might think Kassian is worth that gamble, now that he's cleared waivers and can be sent to their AHL team first.

Technically, a claiming team could have sent him down for the two week conditioning stint. A late pick for recently waived player has happened from time to time before so it could happen - my money's on a player-player swap though.

He had a rough start after sitting for several weeks due to Visa issues, it took a while to get the rust out. He has been much better in his last five starts, .942 SV% and a 2.00 GAA. Because Edmonton has a youngster in the minors, Scrivens is only getting #2 minutes, not entirely unlike Fucale and Tokarski earlier this year.

As for lousy numbers the past couple of years, playing in Edmonton has a tendency to do that to goalies. I don't expect he'd come in and play at an elite level but he should at least be competent most nights. After getting yanked the last two games, I suspect there aren't many in the organization that think Tokarski can do that right now.

Thanks for the info. We still do not need a 2.3 million dollar goalie. If it existed a 2.3 million dollar scorer would be GREAT.

To me it makes no sense to move a guy you took a gamble on after he actually did try rehab. Don't know you wouldn't give him 2 or 3 weeks in the minors. Moving him for a guy who is silgjtly better or worse than tokarski on any given night makes no sense.

Our issue has been porous defense and a non-existing offense. Bringing in the third backup goalie this year isn't goin to solve those problems.

I'd say they both stink.