Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Guest Stogey24

Couple high end picks and a roster player aren't playing 25-30 min a night, while holding down this D-core.

Trade Subban, sign Stamkos.... You'd solve one hole, only to create another bigger hole.... a massive need for a number one defenseman.

Also given the fact that Subban is on the ice for something like 60% of our goals for, I'm not sure you'd even improve the offense by getting rid of Subban and signing Stamkos.

Also why is Stamkos signing here after PK is gone? I thought one of the main reasons we might (and i emphasize might) be attractive is the fact that we have his longtime friend Subban on the team.

Let's get off the trade Subban kick. It is not happening. Bergevin would be strung up by his balls.

Agreed. What amazes me is when fans advocate it. It's part of this wider phenomenon of always loving the 'potential' - in the form of cap savings, or draft picks, or prospects - rather than the actual players right in front of you. I'm old enough to remember when a similar fan mentality wanted us to trade Patrick Roy, for similar 'reasons' ('imagine what you could get back for him!'). PK Subban is exactly what you hope for when you acquire picks or prospects, a dynamic stud who is among the very best in the league at his position. He's the whole point. It's incredible to me that anyone thinks getting rid of all that might be a good idea.

I hope, wish and pray if there is Subban talks it starts one way or another with Mcdavid coming back this way. Otherwise stick that talk back down\up what ever it came out of. (edit) Please.

Players I would trade straight up for Subban:

Crosby

Ovechkin

Kane

Seguin

McDavid

Tavares

Karlsson

Doughty

Keith

Ekman-Larsson

I base that on a combination of player performance and their current contracts. Subban carries a hefty price tag and if he could be traded for an equal talent but cheaper contract I would definitely do that. But other than that, it would be dumb to trade him in any "hockey trade". His value may be overlooked throughout the league but us Habs fans know how good he actually is.

Agreed. What amazes me is when fans advocate it. It's part of this wider phenomenon of always loving the 'potential' - in the form of cap savings, or draft picks, or prospects - rather than the actual players right in front of you. I'm old enough to remember when a similar fan mentality wanted us to trade Patrick Roy, for similar 'reasons' ('imagine what you could get back for him!'). PK Subban is exactly what you hope for when you acquire picks or prospects, a dynamic stud who is among the very best in the league at his position. He's the whole point. It's incredible to me that anyone thinks getting rid of all that might be a good idea.

You would think that they would realize that trading Patrick cost us 23 years of mediocrity, for the great pumkins sake let's not do that again.

Players I would trade straight up for Subban:

Crosby

Ovechkin

Kane

Seguin

McDavid

Tavares

Karlsson

Doughty

Keith

Ekman-Larsson

I base that on a combination of player performance and their current contracts. Subban carries a hefty price tag and if he could be traded for an equal talent but cheaper contract I would definitely do that. But other than that, it would be dumb to trade him in any "hockey trade". His value may be overlooked throughout the league but us Habs fans know how good he actually is.

Keith is too old, but that's an interesting list.

Keith is too old, but that's an interesting list.

Habs would save 4m a year on the cap which could go a long way in the next couple years. Obviously the Hawks couldn't do it with their annual cap crunch problems but it's all hypothetical anyway

Habs would save 4m a year on the cap which could go a long way in the next couple years. Obviously the Hawks couldn't do it with their annual cap crunch problems but it's all hypothetical anyway

Right. The argument isn't whether Subban is somehow untouchable under any circumstances - no player should be. Rather, there is a dearth of scenarios in which trading Subban actually makes sense for both teams, as is usually the case with superstar players.

(I took a few days to write to try and think so I don't make a fool out of me like the last few times :blush: here goes :) )

I see a lot of great players names being floated above for P.K. but still I will stay on my want (and need) that the convo for P.K. has to start (and end) with McDavid coming this way.

I think the combination of

star power,

cap hit,

and

generational talent he brings is the kind of player P.K. has to considered for.

I get there are names (players) of equal or greater 'value'

but (IMO)

if the Habs move P.K. it has to be for someone younger not older or of same age. The only player I see in the league that fits all on my list of return needed for P.K. is McDavid.

Edmonton isn't trading McDavid. If you think PK gets you close to McDavid, you're crazy.

Honestly, Montreal could offer PK and Price for McDavid and whatever goalie Edmonton has, and Edmonton still probably says NO.

Edmonton isn't trading McDavid. If you think PK gets you close to McDavid, you're crazy.

Honestly, Montreal could offer PK and Price for McDavid and whatever goalie Edmonton has, and Edmonton still probably says NO.

I wasn't thinking it would be 1 up trade if it was to happen (but then again I don't want PK traded so I ask a lot) and I wasn't thinking McDavid was coming on his own. IMO the (next) cup comes back to MTL with PK (and Price) on the team and if that is the end goal (IMO the cup has to be) then this team keeps the Norris (and Hart) winner(s) and helps us be champions (it has been too long).

I'm a bit of a dreamer when it comes to trades (I think) but thankfully MB is a capable GM. I think he has proven he can make trades happen (maybe not mega splash but where the team doesn't get blinded). MB,(I think) got other GM's tend to back off on some of his proposed moves (I'm thinking Bourque mostly and Moen a tinny bit) as they might not trust their evaluations of assets from what he is asking back as easily, maybe.

Thats fine.... he never said edmonton would make that trade. He said he wouldn't trade PK for lesser players.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, and all of this kinda reinforces my basic contention that any trade of PK that would make sense for us, would not make sense for the other team. Assuming rational general managers, the 'trade Subban' talk is nonsense.

• Upvote 1

I like the Las Vegas Knights name... or Black Nights.

It has a double entendre there.

:lol: I don't mind the name per say :) I was saying more if they picked the name from the black knight character in the Monty Python movie then (be it very long for a name :D ) I like the response from the film (once he has all his limbs cut off): I can still fight it's just a flesh wound :rofl:

:lol: I don't mind the name per say :) I was saying more if they picked the name from the black knight character in the Monty Python movie then (be it very long for a name :D ) I like the response from the film (once he has all his limbs cut off): I can still fight it's just a flesh wound :rofl:

Monty Python, ahhh those were the days my friends.

• Upvote 1

"Knights" is boring. "Black Knights" has more oomph and, as Commandant points out, a little more double-entendre value. (Personally, I'd prefer the High Rollers, something like that, but I can see where locals get sick of all the overt gambling references).

"Knights" is boring. "Black Knights" has more oomph and, as Commandant points out, a little more double-entendre value. (Personally, I'd prefer the High Rollers, something like that, but I can see where locals get sick of all the overt gambling references).

It'll still go up to a fan vote but the owner really wants to name them after the military school.

There's also already a Las Vegas Knights in indoor soccer.

Heard that Blackhawks are trying to trade Bickell - nothing new ($4 million) but they may have to give up Tuevo Teravainen in any trade involving Bickell (according to ESPN's Craig Custance). Teravainen had 38 points last season and he's 21 years old.

Interesting. Our first round pick + what/who?