Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

On third overall

Kekalainen says someone must knock his socks off in order to move the pick. Not likely to trade it unless an overpay.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ckc1DnTWYAEx1fA.jpg:small

Saying anything but that would devalue the pick if a trade were to occur. But yes, the pick will likely stay with the rebuilding team

Yep, it's only Rds and the French papers that care about where the players from and the habs ownership that care about language.

Hell, the Leafs don't even care that Shanahan actually lives in Toronto or not and probably incur additional travel costs because of him not permanently residing in toronto.

I doubt the Finn thing matters a whit. Any GM worth his salt wants to win, not to pander to nativist sentiments.

I agree with the BPA philosophy, but I don't think it's universally accepted as the best route in every instance - especially if there is no clear-cut 'best player' in a given group of prospects. Could be that CBJ thinks 'positionally' in this case.

Supposedly Radulov is wanting $14m for 2 years. Is that doable for the Habs to fit under cap, if it is even a realistic salary to consider paying him?

$7 mil a year seems steep for Radulov. If the Habs strike out on Okposo, Eriksson, Backes or Ladd, then maybe take a run at Radulov. If that's his demand for a contract I have a feeling that he will not be gone after the first few days of free agency.

$7 mil a year seems steep for Radulov. If the Habs strike out on Okposo, Eriksson, Backes or Ladd, then maybe take a run at Radulov. If that's his demand for a contract I have a feeling that he will not be gone after the first few days of free agency.

If we strike out with Okposo or Backes, I'd be willing to pay him up to $5.5M or even 6M - but only on a one year deal. Multi-year deal for him is just too risky.

Supposedly Radulov is wanting $14m for 2 years. Is that doable for the Habs to fit under cap, if it is even a realistic salary to consider paying him?

For starters, I wouldn't say it's realistic to give him that. I think he'll get more than the $4M Detroit supposedly is offering but not $7M.

Using last year's cap number of $71.4M, the Habs are ~$7.4M under that amount with Danault/Carr to re-sign. Those two should come in somewhere around $1.5M so that leaves $5.9M. Factor in a $1M-$1.5M buffer for injuries/recalls/in-season pickups and all of a sudden, the number to spend in free agency starts with a 4. If the cap goes up to around $73M as some are projecting, then it's in the range of $6M-$6.5M but even then, that's not doable if Radulov or others want 7 unless you want to go into the season with a really small buffer (and with very few waiver exempt players up, that's a big risk). That would change if they free up some space though.

Long story short, it's not impossible but some work to save some money would need to be done first.

If MB does this he should be shot and pissed on.

If MB does this he should be shot and pissed on.

Lol, one of my favorite sayings... Shot and pissed on...."and not necessarily in that order"!

Radulov will be lucky to get 7 mil for 2 years.

Go with it this way. Say we had the third overall pick. Wasn't so long ago we did. What would you be fine accepting a trade for?

I remember the thought of Galchenyuk for Huberdeau straight up to speed along the process. Not sure what to make of that now (Galchenyuk is the better scorer, Huberdeau passer) but that's basically #3 picks swapped, and a highly unlikely trade.

I feel like the #3 pick has a significant higher value this year as well. In 2012 we didn't know who the Habs would pick for sure. I'd argue that Dubois, Tkachuck, would have gone before Galchenyuk in 2012, perhaps Nylander and Brown. This year Puljujarvi is basically a lock for 3.

You'd have to give up a hell of a lot.

Saw a 2012 mock draft which had Grigorenko going to Habs and Galchenyuk at 5 to Leafs, uggg.

I specifically remember wanting Galchenyuk and being scared Grigorenko was going to be picked. That would have been a disaster

I specifically remember wanting Galchenyuk and being scared Grigorenko was going to be picked. That would have been a disaster

It appears like you say. However the molding, post junior, to me is the biggest factor in their outcomes. We often assume that players turn out the same no matter what organization they go through. I believe that the first three years are critical. We are happy we got Galchenyuk, but we don't know how Grigorenko would have turned out in Montreal.

I recall having a soft spot for Grigorenko strictly on the basis of scouting reports that described him as possibly the most purely talented player in the draft. But like everyone else I ultimately wanted us to pick Galchenyuk.

It appears like you say. However the molding, post junior, to me is the biggest factor in their outcomes. We often assume that players turn out the same no matter what organization they go through. I believe that the first three years are critical. We are happy we got Galchenyuk, but we don't know how Grigorenko would have turned out in Montreal.

There were huge warning signs about Grigorenko that anyone who watched him play could see. Those who didn't saw a guy built like Malkin with stats that were strong in the QMJHL and thought perfect fit for Montreal. He had a real consistency issue where he'd just take shifts off and the playoffs proved he folded under pressure. No pressure like the NHL. He's been folding ever since.

There wasn't any playing issues with Galchenyuk. He just was hurt.

For starters, I wouldn't say it's realistic to give him that. I think he'll get more than the $4M Detroit supposedly is offering but not $7M.

Using last year's cap number of $71.4M, the Habs are ~$7.4M under that amount with Danault/Carr to re-sign. Those two should come in somewhere around $1.5M so that leaves $5.9M. Factor in a $1M-$1.5M buffer for injuries/recalls/in-season pickups and all of a sudden, the number to spend in free agency starts with a 4. If the cap goes up to around $73M as some are projecting, then it's in the range of $6M-$6.5M but even then, that's not doable if Radulov or others want 7 unless you want to go into the season with a really small buffer (and with very few waiver exempt players up, that's a big risk). That would change if they free up some space though.

Long story short, it's not impossible but some work to save some money would need to be done first.

Latest rumors are that the NHLPA will use the 5% inflator, meaning we are looking at 73-74

I remember the thought of Galchenyuk for Huberdeau straight up to speed along the process. Not sure what to make of that now (Galchenyuk is the better scorer, Huberdeau passer) but that's basically #3 picks swapped, and a highly unlikely trade.

I feel like the #3 pick has a significant higher value this year as well. In 2012 we didn't know who the Habs would pick for sure. I'd argue that Dubois, Tkachuck, would have gone before Galchenyuk in 2012, perhaps Nylander and Brown. This year Puljujarvi is basically a lock for 3.

You'd have to give up a hell of a lot.

Dubois and Tkachuk are not better today than Galchenyuk was in 2012, IMO.... and Nylander/Brown are definitely not.

A tidbit from Craig Custance's latest (most of the article is paywalled but this part isn't):

Last year, just the threat was enough. There wasn’t a single offer sheet issued to any restricted free agent, but three young impact players changed teams with the simple threat of an offer sheet.

Chicago traded Brandon Saad to Columbus, according to an NHL source, in part because of the possibility of an offer sheet from the Montreal Canadiens.

If that is true, would Bergevin contemplate trying the offer sheet threat a second time this year?

Latest rumors are that the NHLPA will use the 5% inflator, meaning we are looking at 73-74

Dubois and Tkachuk are not better today than Galchenyuk was in 2012, IMO.... and Nylander/Brown are definitely not.

But Galchenyuk was coming off a 6 game season if I recall correctly. I'm not saying either are better, I'm saying he might have been drafted behind those guys due to the circumstances of his injury. Certainly this year I'd be suprised if a Galchenyuk equivalent was drafted ahead of Tkachuck or Dubois.

Edit: 2 regular season games 0 points, 6 playoff games 2 goals 2 assists.

Promising after a year of injuries, but I think Tkahuck and Dubois would go first.

Teams almost always have centres ahead of wingers, thats why Filip Forsberg fell behind Galchenyuk in that same draft.

The fact that Galchenyuk was third overall despite that injury just shows you how highly regarded he was.

Teams almost always have centres ahead of wingers, thats why Filip Forsberg fell behind Galchenyuk in that same draft

The fact that Galchenyuk was third overall despite that injury just shows you how highly regarded he was.

I agree 100% that center have more value than wingers; look no further than Matthews over Laine. If Laine was a center I'm willing to bet the draft talk would be all about who's going first overall. Another Taylor versus Tyler type debate.

But Dubois is listed as all three forward positions. Would that versatility make him perhaps even more valuable than a pure center? (Yes Galchenyuk had LW going for him.

Dubois - 42 goals 99 points in 62 games. Pretty damn good. Right up there with the draft seasons of Huberdeau, Couturier, and Sam Reinhart.

Tkachuck - 30 goals 107 points in 57 games. Again, pretty darn good. As a scout I'd be keeping the Marner effect in mind (Patrick Kane's affect on Sam Gagner's stock is the best example.) But that aside, the points are up there with the Seguins, Halls, Draisaitls etc. And Tkachuk put up 20 goals and 20 assists in 18 playoff games...(!) 4 more goals than Marner, (4 less points) who is a year older.

Yes Galchenyuk was highly regarded. But that highly? No doubt I see and argument that he could have gone before these guys, but today wouldn't everyone be calling it a huge leap?

I agree 100% that center have more value than wingers; look no further than Matthews over Laine. If Laine was a center I'm willing to bet the draft talk would be all about who's going first overall. Another Taylor versus Tyler type debate.

But Dubois is listed as all three forward positions. Would that versatility make him perhaps even more valuable than a pure center? (Yes Galchenyuk had LW going for him.

Dubois - 42 goals 99 points in 62 games. Pretty damn good. Right up there with the draft seasons of Huberdeau, Couturier, and Sam Reinhart.

Tkachuck - 30 goals 107 points in 57 games. Again, pretty darn good. As a scout I'd be keeping the Marner effect in mind (Patrick Kane's affect on Sam Gagner's stock is the best example.) But that aside, the points are up there with the Seguins, Halls, Draisaitls etc. And Tkachuk put up 20 goals and 20 assists in 18 playoff games...(!) 4 more goals than Marner, (4 less points) who is a year older.

Yes Galchenyuk was highly regarded. But that highly? No doubt I see and argument that he could have gone before these guys, but today wouldn't everyone be calling it a huge leap?

Galchenyuk in his 2nd year actually playing in Sarnia was putting up 2points/game and looking pretty darn dominant, before making jump to NHL.