Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Guest Stogey24
15 hours ago, Commandant said:

Joe Thornton is a good option, if you also have a time machine. 

Any room for Weber in there?

:popcorn:

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

There's a report out there saying shipachev won't be signing with the habs. That's a huge bummer early on. Hopefully it could change.

Also read that MB wasn't willing to spend more on him and regardless Shipachyov as per reports has no interest in coming to Montreal.

Curious how the sentiment changed from a year ago.! 

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

There's a report out there saying shipachev won't be signing with the habs. That's a huge bummer early on. Hopefully it could change.

Way too early to say. I remember stuff about Radulov not going to Montreal for this and that reason. Most of it was from reliable sources. But the situation changed when Lucic and Perron turned Montreal down and Radulov said he'd be willing to take a one year deal in Montreal over other offers.

According to last year's presser... Trading for Centres is impossible. 
According to this year's presser.... Drafting a Centre outside the top 10 is impossible. 
According to this year's presser, the Centre we drafted 3rd overall, we keep sticking him on wing.  He's a winger. 
According to Engels. Shipachyov is mulling several big offers, and we aren't one of the teams competing with those big offers.

Why does he have a job?

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

According to this year's presser.... Drafting a Centre outside the top 10 is impossible. 
According to this year's presser, the Centre we drafted 3rd overall, we keep sticking him on wing.  He's a winger. 
According to Engels. Shipachyov is mulling several big offers, and we aren't one of the teams competing with those big offers.

Why does he have a job?

Maybe DON has more pull with Keggermeister Molson than we thought

Guest Stogey24

Shipachyov said in an interview last year Montreal never even contacted him. Which seemed bizarre considering all the rumours that were stirring. 

17 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Shipachyov said in an interview last year Montreal never even contacted him. Which seemed bizarre considering all the rumours that were stirring. 

No doubt Bergevin had full confidence in that killer Danault-Pleks duo down the middle. Shipachyov is redundant on a roster as loaded as that. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No doubt Bergevin had full confidence in that killer Danault-Pleks duo down the middle. Shipachyov is redundant on a roster as loaded as that. :rolleyes:

I think people are really going to be surprised at how big of a contract Shipachev is going to get.  It's not necessarily about him being redundant - he wouldn't be as he'd be an upgrade - but that's a lot of money to spend for a secondary improvement.  He's not signing for $2-3 million per season.  (I wouldn't be shocked to see a multi-year deal starting with a 4.)

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Why does he have a job?

Don't forgot:

last years pressor - "this team needs more character and leadership."

this year's presser after making a bunch of moves to add character and leadership "this team's too fragile"

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think people are really going to be surprised at how big of a contract Shipachev is going to get.  It's not necessarily about him being redundant - he wouldn't be as he'd be an upgrade - but that's a lot of money to spend for a secondary improvement.  He's not signing for $2-3 million per season.  (I wouldn't be shocked to see a multi-year deal starting with a 4.)

A multi-year deal at 4.5 million?

Why wouldn't we be in on this. 

Seriously the team with the biggest need at centre should be more than willing to pony up, for a top 6 centre.  I'd go 5 million easy on getting a second line centre.  (For MOLG Our need is biggest cause we can't sit and wait for Dvorak, Keller, Strome to develop like a Phoenix can.  Our window is now)

Whatever. It doesn't have to be this guy - but the team needs top-6 C, and it's becoming reasonable to ask whether Bergevin understands this. What's worse, overpaying a guy to fill a ridiculously glaring team need? Or trading away quality assets to address said need? Either way, it's gonna cost.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

A multi-year deal at 4.5 million?

Why wouldn't we be in on this. 

Seriously the team with the biggest need at centre should be more than willing to pony up, for a top 6 centre.  I'd go 5 million easy on getting a second line centre.  (For MOLG Our need is biggest cause we can't sit and wait for Dvorak, Keller, Strome to develop like a Phoenix can.  Our window is now)

I don't think Shipachev is more than a 40-45 point player.  I wouldn't be comfortable giving that type of money on a multi-year deal to someone who has yet to play in the NHL.  He's still an offensive upgrade over what the Habs had in those spots this season but I'm not all that enthused about handing him that type of contract.  I think the move to address that spot is going to come via a trade and that the push in free agency will wind up being for wing help.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think Shipachev is more than a 40-45 point player.  I wouldn't be comfortable giving that type of money on a multi-year deal to someone who has yet to play in the NHL.  He's still an offensive upgrade over what the Habs had in those spots this season but I'm not all that enthused about handing him that type of contract.  I think the move to address that spot is going to come via a trade and that the push in free agency will wind up being for wing help.

I think he's a solid second line centre.  A 50+ point guy. But thats just my opinion, we'll see next year. 

As for the other option. I'm scared a trade will be Gomez 2.0

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think he's a solid second line centre.  A 50+ point guy.

Already got one, Plekanec (will bounce back as will Gallagher).

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think he's a solid second line centre.  A 50+ point guy. But thats just my opinion, we'll see next year. 

As for the other option. I'm scared a trade will be Gomez 2.0

Giroux for Galchenyuk/Beaulieu. It's perfect. Bergevin brings in a French Canadian centre to distract the fact Montreal gave up on Chuck and Beau. 

16 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Giroux for Galchenyuk/Beaulieu. It's perfect. Bergevin brings in a French Canadian centre to distract the fact Montreal gave up on Chuck and Beau. 

I can totally see it: trade Galchenyuk, who is six years younger and has already had extended periods of playing at a point-per-game pace, for a guy approaching 30 whose production has declined for three straight seasons and scored a grand total of 14 goals last year. Sounds like Bergevin all right.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

And pays 8.25 million for a guy whose production has been declining by about 10 points a year. 

Sounds like the perfect followup to Weber/Subban. 

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎01 at 3:40 PM, dlbalr said:

Good call...again. But, all still think Bergy and all his crew are total idiots and still should of outbid Vegas for him! This miss is just another sign Mgmt is clueless...bring on Julien Brisbois or McGuire!

I'm really hoping this isn't the case.  Dadonov's believed to be looking for around $3.5 million per year and I fear his production is a by-product of being on a stacked team more than talent.  He was no good in his first NHL stint with lots of concerns about his effort level.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on Dadonov, but i don't think he's the same player at 28 that he was at 22 either.  We've already seen the effect of maturity on one a Russian winger we signed last year. 

My issue is that it can't be a lot of money, cause almost all cap space this year needs to be prioritized to fixing the gaping hole at centre. 

Upgrades at wing are fine, but they aren't the biggest need.  At the deadline I said get a winger cause we needed more goals and it became clear that once Minnesota made the Hanzel deal we werent getting a centre. 

But the offseason needs to be about centre. 

Assuming Radulov is back and Galchenyuk is not on the wing, we have. 

Pacioretty - Radulov

Lehkonen - Gallagher
Byron - Shaw
Hudon

as wingers

With Scherbak in the system. 

Putting Chuck on the wing just adds even more

Adding Dadonov gives more than enough depth at the wing, its an extra luxury to have, but its not a priority that a lot of capital should be spent on. 

• Upvote 1