Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I hope that Price follows Sid's good example and takes a lower salary so that the team can afford the talent to win. Also, I would remind you all that 3 years ago many fans and pundits thought that Rutherford had lost his touch. His recasting as a genius is revisionist history

23 minutes ago, PMAC said:

I hope that Price follows Sid's good example and takes a lower salary so that the team can afford the talent to win. Also, I would remind you all that 3 years ago many fans and pundits thought that Rutherford had lost his touch. His recasting as a genius is revisionist history

Listening to Friedman this morning I would guess the initial ask from him was around $11m.  Freidman's comment that he can't see Price's camp come down $3m from their initial ask, may come down $1m, and will make MB think about how long he is willing to go, doesn't sound like he is looking for a Crosby/malkin type of deal. Sounds like he is looking for a Toews/Kane type of deal.

On 2017-06-11 at 9:10 AM, DON said:

Wow, that's a very revealing article. Sometimes you hear about a young centre, like Matt Duchene,  and everything sounds good and you get caught up in the hype. Then you read an article like that, and see some of his stats and salary, and it brings you down to earth.

So now i'm thinking....Oh no, will Bergevin give away Alex for Matt??

Yikes! 

23 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Wow, that's a very revealing article. Sometimes you hear about a young centre, like Matt Duchene,  and everything sounds good and you get caught up in the hype. Then you read an article like that, and see some of his stats and salary, and it brings you down to earth.

So now i'm thinking....Oh no, will Bergevin give away Alex for Matt??

Yikes! 

I don't know, look at any list of predictions of top centers prior to last season and while Galchenyuk is higher than some decent centers, Duchene tends to be higher than Galchenyuk every time. 

http://www.thesportster.com/hockey/ranking-the-nhls-no-1-centers-from-worst-to-best/

https://www.nhl.com/news/fantasy-center-rankings-for-2016-17/c-281554666

He is a great player who would look great in a Habs jersey. I may not trade him straight up for Galchenyuk but it definitely wouldn't be because he's not a great player to have. He'll have a good season next year, just like Iike I expect Chucky to as well.

38 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Listening to Friedman this morning I would guess the initial ask from him was around $11m.  Freidman's comment that he can't see Price's camp come down $3m from their initial ask, may come down $1m, and will make MB think about how long he is willing to go, doesn't sound like he is looking for a Crosby/malkin type of deal. Sounds like he is looking for a Toews/Kane type of deal.

I don't think CP31 should sign anything less then what PK got. Would make him highest paid goalie in league and leave some for someone else. Pay the man fair (well, for his talent and league he plays in) wage for what he brings to the team, on and off the ice. Does his namesake not also sell a Bunch of jerseys? If we forget the good works he does with breakfast for kids and equipment and so on and so on. He doesn't take (anymore) dumb pics to get post on the interweb and seems to represent not only the Habs well but his community and country too. Pay the Man! imo :)

No one is denying that Duchene would be an asset. A 55-point C is a legitimate top-6 producer in today's NHL. But that's not a 'great player' by any stretch. Galchenyuk is much more likely to have PPG seasons going forward than he is. Duchene's reputation is way out of proportion to his actual performance, and it's that rep that the rankings above are reflecting. It's foolish to make a trade based on rep, or based on a fingers-crossed hope that a player will somehow revert back to the form he had four years ago.

As for the argument that we're desperate for C and that this compensates for the fact that we'd be trading away a (likely) far more productive player, that way lies madness. If Colorado ends up using Galchenyuk at C, then you've made yet another joke of a trade to add to the sadly long list of horrible Habs' blockbusters (Chelios, Roy, Gomez...). Even if he doesn't, and Galy comes close to fulfilling his potential at W, you've moved an 70-80-point guy for a 55-point C. Crazy for a team that can't score. I'm just not seeing it.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No one is denying that Duchene would be an asset. A 55-point C is a legitimate top-6 producer in today's NHL. But that's not a 'great player' by any stretch. Galchenyuk is much more likely to have PPG seasons going forward than he is. Duchene's reputation is way out of proportion to his actual performance, and it's that rep that the rankings above are reflecting. It's foolish to make a trade based on rep, or based on a fingers-crossed hope that a player will somehow revert back to the form he had four years ago.

As for the argument that we're desperate for C and that this compensates for the fact that we'd be trading away a (likely) far more productive player, that way lies madness. If Colorado ends up using Galchenyuk at C, then you've made yet another joke of a trade to add to the sadly long list of horrible Habs' blockbusters (Chelios, Roy, Gomez...). Even if he doesn't, and Galy comes close to fulfilling his potential at W, you've moved an 70-80-point guy for a 55-point C. Crazy for a team that can't score. I'm just not seeing it.

Yes, but our GM is MB, so as crazy and ridiculous as the deal would be, I can see it going down 

On 6/12/2017 at 8:35 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Alright, you've convinced me. But why is it clear as day that Galchenyuk's potential is so much higher than Duchene's? Duchene once again produced more than Galchenyuk in their respective first 5 years in the league.

It's very possible that Duchene is overhyped seeing as so many people feel that way but I'll be excited to see how he does from here on out. I'm still not sold that Duchene has settled into his potential of 55 points and I would almost want to guarantee that he'll have a 60-70+ point season in his career which is fine in today's NHL and would be especially on the Habs. He wouldn't do it every year. Even the elitest of elite players have their off years but we would love him. I agree that Galchenyuk should be adored by fans as well though. It's funny because I like Galchenyuk but all the while I'm debating this and I wouldn't be in love with trading Gallagher for Duchene, unless we knew for sure he was damaged goods. To each their own, I suppose.

49 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Alright, you've convinced me. But why is it clear as day that Galchenyuk's potential is so much higher than Duchene's? Duchene once again produced more than Galchenyuk in their respective first 5 years in the league.

It's very possible that Duchene is overhyped seeing as so many people feel that way but I'll be excited to see how he does from here on out. I'm still not sold that Duchene has settled into his potential of 55 points and I would almost want to guarantee that he'll have a 60-70+ point season in his career which is fine in today's NHL and would be especially on the Habs. He wouldn't do it every year. Even the elitest of elite players have their off years but we would love him. I agree that Galchenyuk should be adored by fans as well though. It's funny because I like Galchenyuk but all the while I'm debating this and I wouldn't be in love with trading Gallagher for Duchene, unless we knew for sure he was damaged goods. To each their own, I suppose.

Just to be clear - would I like to see Duchene on the Habs? YES. It's simply a question of what we send back.

41 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Just to be clear - would I like to see Duchene on the Habs? YES. It's simply a question of what we send back.

give em pleks and throw in emelin. I'd be good with that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'd have no hesitation in trading Gallagher - even if he isn't damaged goods, but would not trade galchenyuk.  A galchenyuk/duschane centre combo would be awesome!

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Just to be clear - would I like to see Duchene on the Habs? YES. It's simply a question of what we send 

Sergachev is untouchable if you ask me, but that's the type of trade that needs to take place in order to get Duchene. Not a core player. 

A paper thin prospect pool makes that pretty hard though. 

17 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Sergachev is untouchable if you ask me, but that's the type of trade that needs to take place in order to get Duchene. Not a core player. 

A paper thin prospect pool makes that pretty hard though. 

Don't get me started. This is what MB has built...a team that isn't good enough and has a terrible talent pipeline. Ugh.

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Don't get me started. This is what MB has built...a team that isn't good enough and has a terrible talent pipeline. Ugh.

Overall, I would say the team with Radulov is as good or better than they have been in a long time. I do agree that it is not good enough though. The talent pipeline is more of a leaky faucet. Allow enough drips through and pray you can fill a pool. If MB cannot identify this massive shortcoming in his system, then there is a problem. 

On 6/12/2017 at 11:30 AM, ehjay said:

I don't think CP31 should sign anything less then what PK got. Would make him highest paid goalie in league and leave some for someone else. Pay the man fair (well, for his talent and league he plays in) wage for what he brings to the team, on and off the ice. Does his namesake not also sell a Bunch of jerseys? If we forget the good works he does with breakfast for kids and equipment and so on and so on. He doesn't take (anymore) dumb pics to get post on the interweb and seems to represent not only the Habs well but his community and country too. Pay the Man! imo :)

The Habs need to let Price walk after the end of next season, or trade him this summer, if he's looking for a maximum deal in the range of 10-12 million. Teams like Chicago can give out major deals with the justification of keeping the band together for 2-3 more serious runs. The Habs still have major holes, and a huge Price deal will gum up the works for free agency. There's also the elephant in the room that with almost a decade of Carey Price, the team hasn't won anything. I don't see how an also ran with nothing to show for a quarter century has any business giving out that kind of deal to a goalie of all people. 

I think after next year, if they can't get out of the first round, or aren't competitive in round two that they need to consider starting over again.

Price's deal won't gum up the works. 

Paying 10 million to Plekanec and Emelin (both deals end after this year)... those are the types of deals that gum up the works. 

I have no problem overpaying for actual talent.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

3 . 9 for 6 years for a 3rd liner? 

Shaw was 6th in Hab forward icetime/game and scoring and plays zero PK time. So $3.9 is fine.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Price's deal won't gum up the works. 

Paying 10 million to Plekanec and Emelin (both deals end after this year)... those are the types of deals that gum up the works. 

I have no problem overpaying for actual talent.  

He's older, he's been hurt, and even though it's not his fault, the team hasn't won with him and isn't close to winning with him. They don't have to kiss the ring like Chicago did with Kane and Toews. Frankly, I don't see the problem with signing an average goalie until McNiven or Lindgren are ready. In the next two or three year, they aren't winning either way.

Plus, I'm biased. I've seen this movie play out, where an elite goalie that lights it up in the regular season but never finds the extra gear in the playoffs signs a deal from now until the Barron Trump presidency...it's not pretty.

roberto-luongo-2015-234.jpg

He's 29, thats not that old for a goalie. 

Forwards peak younger, yes.  

Price has many good years left, and he's always been significantly better than Luongo. 

Your choice is to build the team around him, or blow the whole thing up and go full rebuild.  I don't see a "sign an stop gap" as a viable option.  Thats just asking to be a bubble team that is neither trying to win or trying to rebuild. 

With last summer's trade, the die is cast.  This team is going to sign Price and at least try to compete. They aren't blowing it up. 

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

He's 29, thats not that old for a goalie. 

Forwards peak younger, yes.  

Price has many good years left, and he's always been significantly better than Luongo. 

Your choice is to build the team around him, or blow the whole thing up and go full rebuild.  I don't see a "sign an stop gap" as a viable option.  Thats just asking to be a bubble team that is neither trying to win or trying to rebuild. 

With last summer's trade, the die is cast.  This team is going to sign Price and at least try to compete. They aren't blowing it up. 

Yes indeed. Trading Price means entering a rebuild. Au contraire, this team is all in on this core, having idiotically chosen to shorten its Cup window by 3-4 years in order to acquire Old Man Weber. We have perhaps three years in which to win it all before decline means diminishing returns. I have almost zero faith that this group will ever win anything, but that's beside the point; there is no way in hell Team Fuddy Duddy is going to rebuild at this point. (Indeed, my guess is that the Habs will be one of those teams that resists 'rebuilding' long beyond the point where the need for it has become crashingly obvious. After all, they can't develop talent anyway).

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yes indeed. Trading Price means entering a rebuild. Au contraire, this team is all in on this core, having idiotically chosen to shorten its Cup window by 3-4 years in order to acquire Old Man Weber. We have perhaps three years in which to win it all before decline means diminishing returns. I have almost zero faith that this group will ever win anything, but that's beside the point; there is no way in hell Team Fuddy Duddy is going to rebuild at this point. (Indeed, my guess is that the Habs will be one of those teams that resists 'rebuilding' long beyond the point where the need for it has become crashingly obvious. After all, they can't develop talent anyway).

They won't, and shouldn't be able to rebuild the team. If the five year plan is a failure, Team Fuddy Duddy is a failure. I imagine if Price doesn't resign and the Habs don't make it out of the first round, Bergevin will be fired. We're getting into that dangerous territory where GMs feel the pressure and start making bad trades and signings to save their jobs. Gautier is the best example.