Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

More like he hardly ever gets anything right.

He landed a bunch of Habs stuff in 2014 when Danny Briere was (allegedly) feeding him into. Hasn't done much since.

Sometimes I have to remind myself not to be too hard on the internet insiders because guys like Al Strachan nailed one story in Gretzky to the Blues and relayed it into a 10 year career of making shit up on HNIC and eventually got called out on it so much he was finally let go. He claims it was due to his Leafs bashing book but the fact we don't all own "Why The Leafs Suck" should tell you how bad at his job he is. Today we still have guys like Simmons slandering players and still keeping cushy TSN jobs and guys like Aaron Ward having no business being in broadcasting but still pathetically attempting. I don't entirely blame hacks like Eklund and Incarcerated Bob and Aivis for attempting it. It feels less like reporting and more like storytelling. And society loves storytellers.

Even if you don't watch the NBA, check out how much stuff Woj reports compared to NHL insiders. He finds out everything. He is deeply connected. He got a new job and was told not to leak NBA draft picks before they were selected and he did it anyway just to flex. Makes me jealous.

Pierre Lebrun in the Athletic

And if you’re the Habs with all your cap space and your own top picks in place for 2019, do you not consider an offer sheet on a well-placed target? I would.

Okay, so we all know offer sheets never happen, but lets have some fun. 

Who is a well-placed target?

Centres or those who could play C

William Nylander (especially if the Leafs sign Tavares?)

Tomas Hertl (especially if the Sharks sign Tavares?)

Spooner, Namestnikov, Hayes, but the Rangers likely match...

Athanasiou (wings likely match)

William Karlsson (Vegas matches all day)

Larkin (again Detroit Matches)
Jankowski, Lindholm (Flames likely match)

Fabbri (injury history, blues might let him go)

Lefties on Defence

Ryan Murray (at the right price columbus lets him go)

Jacob Trouba (righty who has played Left side at times) (Winnipeg could be cap strapped with many RFAs, offer would ahve to be huge)

Brady skjei (Rangers Match)

Noah Hanifin (Flames match)

Nurse (Oilers match)

Theodore (Knights match)

Morrisey (see Trouba)

29 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Offer sheet Nylander, Toronto doesn't match, Montreal gives their 2019 1st Round Pick, Montreal finishes 30th, wins lottery for Toronto, Toronto drafts Hughes.

29 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Offer sheet Nylander, Toronto doesn't match, Montreal gives their 2019 1st Round Pick, Montreal finishes 30th, wins lottery for Toronto, Toronto drafts Hughes.

Last year was the year to do the offer sheet with Draisaitl, rather than movin Sergechev. I bet if we had offered $10.5m Edmonton would not have matched.  I would rather pay Draisaitl that money than Price.Nylander is not in the same class as Draisaitl and we just have too many holes to fill by offering an offer sheet to a 2nd line centre.

3 minutes ago, Metallica said:

What about we just flip Pacioretty for Panarin ?

Not nearly enough for Panarin.. Columbus would want way more.. like Juulsen, Poehling, +

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Not nearly enough for Panarin.. Columbus would want way more.. like Juulsen, Poehling, +

I think you're under valuing Pacioretty. Columbus is asking the same type of parts  as we are for Pacioretty. So a one for one flip is equal.

Panarin has 77, 74 and 82 points the last three seasons. 

Pacioretty has never hit 70

Both are UFAs at the end of this season. 

There is zero chance that they are a one-for-one flip.  Thats craziness. 

9 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I think you're under valuing Pacioretty. Columbus is asking the same type of parts  as we are for Pacioretty. So a one for one flip is equal.

In three NHL seasons, Panarin's lowest point total is 74.  Pacioretty's highest in ten NHL seasons in 67.  Panarin's coming off a point-per-game season away from Chicago and carried his line.  Pacioretty is coming off of his worst season in years, didn't carry his line, and is older.  They are really not that close to being equal.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

Torts would never have Pacs on his team. I believe he was demoted to the 4th line and basically benched by Torts. 

Weber would be more Columbus' style.

Columbus defence is very strong.  They wouldn't want to add a defenceman with Weber's Cap hit. 

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

In three NHL seasons, Panarin's lowest point total is 74.  Pacioretty's highest in ten NHL seasons in 67.  Panarin's coming off a point-per-game season away from Chicago and carried his line.  Pacioretty is coming off of his worst season in years, didn't carry his line, and is older.  They are really not that close to being equal.

Your basically basing Pacioretty trade value on one bad year???

I base Pacioretty trade value on his whole career.

When it comes to goal scoring hes in the top 5 of the league for LW.

4 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Let's just say Pacioretty's trade value isn't at its peak right now considering the year he had - that made it go down, not up.  Panarin, meanwhile, left Chicago and excelled which proves that he's not just a 'system' player.  That only helps his value.  Let's look at it this way - one year from now, Panarin's probably looking at upwards of $10 million a year on his next contract.  Pacioretty's getting a raise but his next contract isn't coming close to that.  If they're not close to equal on their next contract a year from now, they're not equal in a trade.

I don’t think Pacioretty is getting moved yet and I also don’t see it being for Panarin when it happens but I don’t think you’re as far off on your argument as it seems. The last trade involving Panarin had Saad going back the other way and I’d say that Pacioretty has more value than Saad.

Based on that trade alone, something like Pacioretty & 3rd round for Panarin and 4th round could get it done. Seeing as they are both UFA at the end of the year, I don’t see huge upside for either team in this move though. 

Did Pacioretty have an off year yes. Why because of injuries and team play around him. 

Does that bring down his trade value no, here's why....

The last 5 out of 6 years he has had 30 or more goals scored. That puts him in top 5 of the league over those 5 years. He has done this taking less shots on goal then those in front of him on that list and he has done this playing without a true playmaking center.

Give him a playmaking center and let him take more shots he is a 40 plus goal scorer. Thats why his trade value is high, and that's why we are discussing trading him to fill team holes. 

I'll respectfully disagree.  Bad years hurt trade values.  (So does ending the year with knee trouble when he's had knee issues in the past.)  I'm not saying his value has tanked to that of a typical 17-goal scorer but I think the trade offers that teams will be making are comparable to ~ 25-goal, 55 point guys, not 75+ point players like Panarin.  Even if they believe he can rebound (though probably not to a 40-goal plateau), teams are going to want to hedge their bets a little bit.  I suspect this is a big part of why there hasn't been a trade yet - they're not getting offered top value relative to the 30+ goals/60+ points he has routinely put up before this past season.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'll respectfully disagree.  Bad years hurt trade values.  (So does ending the year with knee trouble when he's had knee issues in the past.)  I'm not saying his value has tanked to that of a typical 17-goal scorer but I think the trade offers that teams will be making are comparable to ~ 25-goal, 55 point guys, not 75+ point players like Panarin.  Even if they believe he can rebound (though probably not to a 40-goal plateau), teams are going to want to hedge their bets a little bit.  I suspect this is a big part of why there hasn't been a trade yet - they're not getting offered top value relative to the 30+ goals/60+ points he has routinely put up before this past season.

Theres been a trade with LA but Pacioretty and kings couldn't come up with an extension.

6 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Theres been a trade with LA but Pacioretty and kings couldn't come up with an extension.

Assuming that's true (there are those swearing it happened and some saying it's a complete fabrication), do you think the Habs were getting a Panarin-like return in that trade?  The various iterations of the rumoured deals didn't exactly involve top-end talent coming back.

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Assuming that's true (there are those swearing it happened and some saying it's a complete fabrication), do you think the Habs were getting a Panarin-like return in that trade?  The various iterations of the rumoured deals didn't exactly involve top-end talent coming back.

I read they were getting a 1st round pick, a top prospect and a roster player for Pacioretty, then Bergevin was going to flip the 1st round pick  plus a 2nd to Buffalo for O'Reilly,

I read they were getting a 1st round pick, a top prospect and a roster player for Pacioretty, then Bergevin was going to flip the 1st round pick  plus a 2nd to Buffalo for O'Reilly,

Sounds like a pure rumour.

Metallica, how do you know that for certain?

5 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Yeah there was talk of a deal involving the Islanders. Lou and the scouting staff wasn't 100% on the players available for their picks so they were willing to trade one. One of the picks was going to Montreal in a package for Patches with an extension. But once Wahlstrom and Dobson fell, they decided to keep the pick.  That was the rumour floating around.

4 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Yeah there was talk of a deal involving the Islanders. Lou and the scouting staff wasn't 100% on the players available for their picks so they were willing to trade one. One of the picks was going to Montreal in a package for Patches with an extension. But once Wahlstrom and Dobson fell, they decided to keep the pick.  That was the rumour floating around.

Yeah Bergevin was trying to get another 1st to flip to buffalo because he didn't want to give up the 3rd overall for O'Reilly 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Yeah Bergevin was trying to get another 1st to flip to buffalo because he didn't want to give up the 3rd overall for O'Reilly 

Bergevin's masterplan for the week was to trade Pacioretty and acquire O'Reilly. When the Islanders deal failed (allegedly), he tried LA, but whereas Pacioretty had a deal ready with the Islanders, he couldn't come to an agreement with the Kings. Allegedly, he let go of Brisson because Brisson's main focus is Tavares and wanted someone ready to take a contract negotiation.