Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

2 hours ago, Link67 said:

I welcome giving him an opportunity to crack the roster, he could probably still be a serviceable 18 min a night guy.

Agreed-and if that don't work, morph him into coaching

14 hours ago, Link67 said:

I welcome giving him an opportunity to crack the roster, he could probably still be a serviceable 18 min a night guy.

Not a chance, he is toast..

Edited by DON
fixed

Sentimentality is a long word but no thanks on Markov playing 18:00/gm for Habs. Not even 3rd pairing would be OK>

49gm 14points in KHL...how does that translate to NHL production? SFA is what it is.

31 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I'm skeptical, too, that he can still make a meaningful contribution for an 82-game season at age 40.

He play has been slipping for several years now, not sure why anyone would think he will get quicker or have better offense in NHL than has shown in KHL.

Not sure i would even want him to do a Plekanec and have Markov reach milestone (1,000 games) in 10 games then walk away. Who would sit to allow him to play?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=24720

As great a Hab as Markov was, this has a decided whiff of the second comings of Mark Streit or Tomas Plekanec about it.

If we had managed to find a replacement LD for Markov - or rather, if we had managed not to foolishly trade away his replacement for a talented but dodgy Edsel of a forward - the subject would likely not be taken seriously by anyobody.

When you look at thier record with Markov in the lineup and out you see how much of a difference he makes. To me a Markov on one leg blindfolded and help the power play and LD more than no Markov. 

I'm not sure the rationale behind skepticism though, we are not talking about bringing him in on a 3 or 4 million dollar 1 year deal here. We are realistically talking about a PTO or even a really cheap 1 year deal to retire a Hab, got to stop acting like we will be entering these negotiations on the same grounds as last time around. The fact he could potentially be an insurance policy on LD and pull it off to some degree if we place him in the right role is just simply a byproduct of how bad a state the LD position on this team is.

If he is even 50% of the Markov that left here, he could prove he can still be useful on a PTO, or a cheap 1 year deal. Even if he comes in and ends up getting the Plekanec treatment because other pieces within the organization bounce him out, what's the harm in that? I don't see how that hurts us in anyway, because there is still the possibility that he is useful enough to plug into the line up every other game or so, with managed minutes and lots of PP time next to Weber. If not then someone in the organization shows there is a solution at LD, and we send him back home, retired a Hab, and the chapter closed properly and once and for all.

At the very least we should be exploring the option if we can't land any big fish LD via trade by August.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Bit surprised they aren't giving him another season to try to turn it around.

I'm not.  He was dreadful even in the minors and he left the team midseason; I'm not sure he's even with the team for the playoffs.  They went and added Dustin Tokarski in a post-NHL trade deadline loan to replace him.  I wouldn't be shocked if his career is over.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I'm not.  He was dreadful even in the minors and he left the team midseason; I'm not sure he's even with the team for the playoffs.  They went and added Dustin Tokarski in a post-NHL trade deadline loan to replace him.  I wouldn't be shocked if his career is over.

Assuming it's entirely a mental issue, offseason therapy did wonders for Lehner. 

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Assuming it's entirely a mental issue, offseason therapy did wonders for Lehner. 

Yeah, it might work. But it's a big risk, even if he still has the skills, he might never get his confidence back, and you really don't know until you are well into the season, especially for backup goaltender (see Niemi for an example).

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I trust that the Habs are not one of those three.

I'm skeptical of the report itself - the last two times he's reported something in terms of contract talks, they haven't come true.

28 minutes ago, DON said:

Why?

Well, it'd be nice from a sentimental POV to have the old General back for a last hoorah. The problem is that his numbers cratered last year and this is highly suggestive of a player who is done. It's not clear what a 14-point 40-year-old d-man adds to this group even though he is LD. We don't need a mascot.

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We don't need a mascot.

I get the sentimental bit, but lets move on with real players and not Gonchar 2.0.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Why?

I have a real problem with discounting a player solely based on age.  That includes being too young, or too old.

Am I interested in signing Larry Robinson for $10 million/year - of course not.

But Markov is just two years removed from playing in the NHL.  There are plenty of great examples of defenceman who play past 40.

Yes, his numbers took a dip last year - but I have no idea how to compare the KHL realistically with the NHL.  Seriously?  All we really know is that he is still playing.

He is a left D - and we sure need those.  His game management skills and leadership are exceptional.  His ability to quarterback our (terrible) powerplay - is, at least, intriguing.  And then there are the intangibles.

Do we have the cap room?  Yes.  Will he accept a deal at a reasonable price tag?  Say $1.5 million?  We should at least find out.

It would be irresponsible of team management to not at least take a look at this.  And it is foolish for any of us to so dismiss the possibility so quickly.

Does it happen?  Will it work?  That we will have to wait and see.  But again, we'd be foolish not to at least look into it.

And this has very little to do with sentimentality.  Sure it is Markov, so it would be nice to have him back.  But not as a token 'throwback'.  However, if he can play - and help the team - ...  

Take rose-coloured glasses off sir, Markov is toast and was slow the last time he suited up for Habs and is not any quicker several years later.

17-18 33pts 

18-19 14pts

Not numbers that are encouraging. (as far as KHL goes: Darren Dietz was let go by Habs and had 53pts in KHL last year, but couldnt make NHL for 3 different NHL teams)

So, basically a slow old d-man trying to play in a quicker NHL, with little offense left in him I cant see being a fit in a rebuilding team.

21 hours ago, DON said:

Take rose-coloured glasses off sir, Markov is toast and was slow the last time he suited up for Habs and is not any quicker several years later.

17-18 33pts 

18-19 14pts

Not numbers that are encouraging. (as far as KHL goes: Darren Dietz was let go by Habs and had 53pts in KHL last year, but couldnt make NHL for 3 different NHL teams)

So, basically a slow old d-man trying to play in a quicker NHL, with little offense left in him I cant see being a fit in a rebuilding team.

No rose coloured glasses here.  We have done worse with $1 million.  If we tried it, and it didn't work - Then move on.  If it did - it is worth the gamble.

We've paid more money for players NOT to play!

Three words that make a lot of sense on a message board like this:  Optimism, Pessimism and Skepticism.  Don't be blinded by any of the three.